[APP][OC/UV/Governor][GPU OC][GB][21 June]Control Freak 0.5beta (NEW!!)

Search This thread

bballer182

Feb 15, 2011
@bballer182 - No, I am not adding lmk settings to control freak. Control freak is too crowded as it is, and the lmk settings would seriously over stuff one app. Instead, I am going to write a seperate app for lmk settings, plus I am adding, at ex's request, controls for zram size, swappiness, and maybe another thing or two that deal with memory use/management.

@aalh - good to see you back!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897

Very cool!

shane87

Jan 11, 2011
Waynesburg, KY
Google Pixel 6
any news on this? any chance to save settings on sdcard to load after a wipe?

For control freak there probably won't be many more updates. The reason for this is 1) the gui is the biggest issue right now, what with the gpu oc status line disappearing at random, but I STILL can't track it down, 2) gpu oc is the only part that needs any updates, and existz has removed user configurable gpu oc, since it doesn't work, 3) I am currently spending all of my time on the lmk settings app for talon kernel.

As far as giving an option to save the settings to sdcard, it won't happen. The whole reason some kernel installs wipe voltage settings is to prevent you from setting incompatible values between kernel updates. For example, if the kernel originally has 6 states, and one is removed in an update, leaving the voltage settings as-is would cause unpredictable behaviour due to the fact that voltage settings would try to set values for 6 states when only 5 exist. So I am not going to give the option to save the settings to sd, as that would completely defeat the purpose of wiping voltage settings.

CuriousTech

Nov 16, 2010
Floor
That would be a nice feature, and I can see it causing many problems. A future idea would be to save profiles in app data space so that Titanium Backup would grab it. They could be saved, but only restored if they match the current config (number of steps for OC, etc.), or overwriting the steps that exist in both and requiring the user double-check the result. Could be a little complicated though.

suntzu123

Nov 20, 2010
I need a little help here. I used Talon's kernels from 0.3.1 with the newest controll freak 0,5 beta.

I change GPU setting nothing happened. Now more score at GPU benchmarks, like nenamark, quadrant.What to do?

Is there 100% sure verssion that's working?

Im using i9000 with JVP.

pikachu01

Feb 2, 2011
Penang
GPU OC is not working from day 1. It's been removed ever since. Don't use it as it doesn't even work (confirmed by the original dev that wrote/commited the code)

suntzu123

Nov 20, 2010
GPU O/C Capable Kernels for Captivate:
Talon 0.3.1 by eXistZ -Released to public
Le Kernel du Jour by TheEscapist - CM7, may be only available on private test versions, talk to TheEscapist for more info
Glitch Kernel by glitch - CM7, may be only available on test versions, talk to glitch for more info

So it's possible to OC GPU only on Captivate phone? Or I did not understand first post?

suntzu123

Nov 20, 2010
id hope... that it worked.... Some people said its working so... it would be really cool.

"disabled GPU OC (does not fully work yet)" this mean that partially is working :p

so now I'm 100% sure that is not working... but app look really cool. Nice design ;0

pikachu01

Feb 2, 2011
Penang
Yeah, it was probably a placebo effect :)

They run stuff and "felt" it was faster, but actually nothing changed. Human psychology sure is complicated :)

shane87

Jan 11, 2011
Waynesburg, KY
Google Pixel 6
id hope... that it worked.... Some people said its working so... it would be really cool.

"disabled GPU OC (does not fully work yet)" this mean that partially is working :p

so now I'm 100% sure that is not working... but app look really cool. Nice design ;0

The reason it says "not fully working" is because gpu oc works, IF AND ONLY IF the oc amount is hard-coded into the kernel. If it is set up so that it is user configurable, like with cf, it doesn't work. And the reson existz does not put in a hard coded gpu oc is the same reason cpu oc/uv is user configurable: different cappy's like different amounts of oc/uv.

geokilla

Jun 5, 2010
Toronto
The reason it says "not fully working" is because gpu oc works, IF AND ONLY IF the oc amount is hard-coded into the kernel. If it is set up so that it is user configurable, like with cf, it doesn't work. And the reson existz does not put in a hard coded gpu oc is the same reason cpu oc/uv is user configurable: different cappy's like different amounts of oc/uv.

But the GPU is underclocked last I heard, so all Captivates should be able to hit 400Mhz on the GPU at the very least, unless Samsung decided to ship Captivates with defective GPUs as well.

shane87

Jan 11, 2011
Waynesburg, KY
Google Pixel 6
But the GPU is underclocked last I heard, so all Captivates should be able to hit 400Mhz on the GPU at the very least, unless Samsung decided to ship Captivates with defective GPUs as well.

Its not that the gpus can't handle 400mhz. Ocing the gpu causes the gpu to draw more power. That can cause stability issues elsewhere.

Also, consider this: the cpu clocked at 1ghz is also underclocked. By how much, I am not sure, but the infuse runs the same proccesor, the hummingbird, clocked at a "stock" 1.2ghz. Yet not every cappy can handle oc.

geokilla

Jun 5, 2010
Toronto
Its not that the gpus can't handle 400mhz. Ocing the gpu causes the gpu to draw more power. That can cause stability issues elsewhere.

Also, consider this: the cpu clocked at 1ghz is also underclocked. By how much, I am not sure, but the infuse runs the same proccesor, the hummingbird, clocked at a "stock" 1.2ghz. Yet not every cappy can handle oc.

Every Captivate I've touched (mine and dad's) can handle 1200Mhz OC and UVed by 75mV just fine. If it can't even run at stock speeds like it was designed to, then it is defective. I'm not even asking for an UV at stock speeds. UV at stock speeds is just a plus.

Last edited:

pikachu01

Feb 2, 2011
Penang
You need to understand that Samsung could fabricate the GPU using lower standards producing a GPU that could only OC up to 200MHz.

If you've read about silicon fabrication, you'll know that in every batch of wafers, there will be a small number of silicon that can't make the grade. Let's put this number at 5%.

Let;s say 3% of that 5% can only be clocked up to 300MHz. And another 1% can be clocked to 250MHz and another 1% can be clocked to 100MHz.

In Infuse, Samsung would need to get rid of that 5%. However, in SGS, it could use 99% of the wafer and save costs :)

That's why even if the chip is meant to handle 400MHz OC, fabrication yields made it that some GPU wafers can't handle more than Samsung tested/intended to.

geokilla

Jun 5, 2010
Toronto
You need to understand that Samsung could fabricate the GPU using lower standards producing a GPU that could only OC up to 200MHz.

If you've read about silicon fabrication, you'll know that in every batch of wafers, there will be a small number of silicon that can't make the grade. Let's put this number at 5%.

Let;s say 3% of that 5% can only be clocked up to 300MHz. And another 1% can be clocked to 250MHz and another 1% can be clocked to 100MHz.

In Infuse, Samsung would need to get rid of that 5%. However, in SGS, it could use 99% of the wafer and save costs :)

That's why even if the chip is meant to handle 400MHz OC, fabrication yields made it that some GPU wafers can't handle more than Samsung tested/intended to.
Yes I understand that. For Samsung's sake, I hope that's the reason they're downclocking, aside from conserving battery life. Otherwise I'll be sad I'm not getting the "stock" performance from my phone.

shane87

Jan 11, 2011
Waynesburg, KY
Google Pixel 6
Yes I understand that. For Samsung's sake, I hope that's the reason they're downclocking, aside from conserving battery life. Otherwise I'll be sad I'm not getting the "stock" performance from my phone.

Another reason that chips in phones, whether it is cpu or gpu, are under-clocked is a design choice. Almost every smartphone uses an underclocked chipset. That is due to the properties of cpu designs. A cpu (or gpu) that has a native clock of 1GHz will use MORE power than a chip with a native clock of 1.2-1.4GHz underclocked to 1GHz. So, phone companies design their chips with a native clock higher than their phones will need, then under-clock them to the proper speed. As an example, the iPhone 4 (I know, its a bad-word around here, I'm over it) has a 1GHz processor that is underclocked to 800MHz, and Samsung does the same with their phones. It is all in the name of maximizing the speed while minimizing battery use, and, as was mentioned a few posts back, if their are a few chips that can't meet the 1.2-1.4GHz quality control, they may still be able to be used underclocked to 1GHz, so that means more chips pass final qc, and saves Samsung some money.

suntzu123

Nov 20, 2010
Another reason that chips in phones, whether it is cpu or gpu, are under-clocked is a design choice. Almost every smartphone uses an underclocked chipset. That is due to the properties of cpu designs. A cpu (or gpu) that has a native clock of 1GHz will use MORE power than a chip with a native clock of 1.2-1.4GHz underclocked to 1GHz. So, phone companies design their chips with a native clock higher than their phones will need, then under-clock them to the proper speed. As an example, the iPhone 4 (I know, its a bad-word around here, I'm over it) has a 1GHz processor that is underclocked to 800MHz, and Samsung does the same with their phones. It is all in the name of maximizing the speed while minimizing battery use, and, as was mentioned a few posts back, if their are a few chips that can't meet the 1.2-1.4GHz quality control, they may still be able to be used underclocked to 1GHz, so that means more chips pass final qc, and saves Samsung some money.

There simple rule. cpu can make almost every MHz..... but it depend of
+ Voltage
+ Load
+ Temperature

phone is mobile device with out cooling and free sunbathe.... And there is no module inside processor to controll MHz when power consumption or temperature go higher.... Sandy Bridge control MHz depend of TDP

-------------------------------------------

TDP (maximal power consumption) depend of MHz/(voltage*current)^2, and OFC load.... Voltage depend of technological process (I mean same size, but different manufacture), some got voltage 2V and current 1A, some got 1V with current 2A

So if you make 200MHz chip and with same performance but clocked 400MHz.... it will take two times more power if there is same Voltage....

----------------------------------------------
So let's make it simple. If you got game... will you see differance 50-> 60FPS?

Sure not... but to make 60FPS GPU will have to be clocked with 300MHz sure with higher Voltage. God bless FPS cap (that fraking moders taking off).

-----------------------------------------------

Galaxy S got the most powerfull GPU at his times... And GPU is not ussually bottle neck......

ARM is the worst processor with so big mass production.... CPU generate geometry, and transfer it to GPU all the time.... So performance of GPU depend of CPU.....

SGS got same config as some Intel's atom. They got same GPU@400/300MHz.... See how good graphics they can handle on Windows.... But Atom is much more powerfull processor.

==================================

Why Samsung didn't put SGX535? becouse .... what I can see, more transistors you put underclocked better powerconsumption/ per FPS you get... So better SGX540 at 200MHz than SGX535 at 250MHz.....

---------------------------------------------

There is no burn test on Android, so you can't make stability test. Samsung making this test. There is usually limit about 10-30% just for stability reason for burn tests...

===================================

One mote thing you can overclock GPU only by bus. So overclocking GPU will overclock CPU, but... USB controller, video decoder too. So sometimes you got 20% of GPU limit, but when you whatch movie you will destroy video decoder.

Reactions: aalh

herc2k

Aug 1, 2011
can someone post the default
mv for i9000 and the recommended for better battery life or performance?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Control Freak, the OC/UV app for Gingerbread!

PLEASE READ THE FULL POST! !!

NEW RULE! Read the ENTIRE op, plus the last few pages BEFORE posting a question!! I don't mind sharing information and helping people, but answering the same question on every page is getting old!!

Control Freak is a re-write of xan's Voltage Control app, designed to work with Gingerbread based kernels. It has (most of) the features of my Voltage Control EX.

Beware!! This app is still in development! Any issues are being worked on, but it may not run perfectly!! Also, I, nor anyone who has helped to make this app or the kernels/roms it works with are responsible for any damages caused by use of this app or any kernels/roms supported by this app!!

Features:
    Designed for use with JVx based Gingerbread kernels
    Works with cm7 kernels that support OC/UV
    Specifically designed around features present in existz's Talon kernel
    Allows enable/disable specific states
    Allows undervoltage control on a state-by-state basis
    Allows limiting clock to a specific speed
    Allows changing of governors
    Allows control of Cpu Threshold settings - see note2 bellow.
    States enabled info is found by opening each UV control.
    TIS info is now shown on the main screen
    TIS info for Deep Sleep
    TIS percentages
    Logs all major start up values as they are polled from the sysfs.
    Logs all settings to be applied when Apply is selected
    Logs all settings to be saved when Save As Boot is selected
    Controls GPU Clock settings on compatible kernels!!

GPU O/C Capable Kernels for Captivate:
    Talon 0.3.1 by eXistZ -Released to public
    Le Kernel du Jour by TheEscapist - CM7, may be only available on private test versions, talk to TheEscapist for more info
    Glitch Kernel by glitch - CM7, may be only available on test versions, talk to glitch for more info

Note: On Gingerbread, the conservative governor is NOT recommended! Interactive/ondemand/smartass governors are supported, and interactive is the preferred governor! Talon does not have smartass implemented yet, so smartass will not show up in the Governor dropdown on Talon.

Additional Note: As of Talon 0.2.1, interactive governor is NOT included anymore! Existz removed it in favor of the ondemand governor.

Note2: Cpu Threshold control is NOT supported on most Gingerbread kernels, since Cpu Threshold is used by conservative governor. I just added the Cpu Threshold settings, so that I can make this backwards compatible with FroYo kernels/roms.

NOTE 3:If you are experiencing issues with settings not sticking on reboot, go to the Market, download the busybox installer by stericson, and install busybox 1.17.1. Some roms, including Perception II, have a version of busybox 1.18.4 that does not have run-parts compiled into it. Without run-parts, nothing in /etc/init.d gets loaded at boot. The version of 1.17.1 included in stericson's busybox installer DOES have run-parts, so it will work.

Change log -

Control Freak 0.5b:
    - Added GPU Overclocking controls! Please note that your kernel must support GPU Overclocking for this feature to work! Also note that this version has NOT been tested on kernels without GPU Overclocking, so if anyone has a kernel that does not have GPU Overclocking, test this out and let me know how it goes!!
    - Fixed the states enabled command to remove the extra 0 at the end that was being added due to Deep Sleep info

Control Freak 0.4.2b:
    - Fixed fc issue on kernels with higher number of states available
    - Changed the icon, the new icon was designed by b_randon14

Control Freak 0.4.1b:
    - Fixed save function, now the proper max frequency is written to S_volt_scheduler
    - Added logging to save function
    - Added logging to apply function
    - Log is now cleared when it is exported, so the log starts from scratch after each export

Control Freak 0.4b:
    - Added Deep Sleep TIS info.
    - Added TIS percentages.
    - Added logging
    - NOTE: Logging DOES NOT use logcat, so there is no need to enable logcat to generate logs, or to view/export the logs.

Control Freak 0.3.5b:
    - Fixed the Max Frequency issue where any changes to the Max Frequency dropdown were not being saved. Now it writes the proper value to the proper place.
    - Fixed another issue with Max Frequency dropdown. If you applied a Max Frequency LESS THAN the highest state enabled, on closing and restarting CF, it would show the highest enabled state as the max frequency, regardless of current setting. Now, if you set limit to 1000MHz, it will show 1000MHz at launch, no matter how many states above that freq that are enabled.
    - Fixed the SI unit prefix for frequency. Forgot that 'm' is for "milli" and 'M' is for "Mega." And I was even arrogant enough to tell someone that I was right!!! Anyway, it is fixed now. And a HUGE thank you to aalh for pointing out my mistake!

Control Freak 0.3b:
    - Fixed the TIS info issue. Now each state shows it's own TIS, instead of the
    the TIS for the first state.
    - Moved the TIS info to the main screen, so that it is visible all the time.

Control Freak 0.2b:
    - States info issue resolved
    - Unsupported kernel issue resolved (Same underlying cause as the states info issue)

Control Freak 0.1b:
    - Initial Release

Known Issues -
    - Sometimes, gpu read out will disappear for some states at random. If you open the uv/gpu controls, it will show the read out again. Closing the controls may cause that state's readout to stay and cause other states to loose their displays at random. May have to do with a glitch in the code to hide gpu controls for non-gpu compatible kernels.

- Sometimes it will not pull states_enabled_table info. This causes the CPU Limit dropdown to be empty. As an interim solution, until I can track down why this is happening, either exit Control Freak and launch it again, or simply enable each state, and they will be added back to the dropdown.

- Occasionally will report an unsupported kernel. If you are sure your kernel IS supported, simply restart.

Sources available at https://github.com/shane87/ControlFreak

Report any issues by posting IN THIS THREAD or sending me a PM. But please, read through the thread, and check the known issues section of this post before posting an issue. If your issue is listed, quote the original issue report, and add details about your system and set up. "Me too!" comments are not helpful and will be ignored.

Issues may also be reported by sending an email to eric.clothier@gmail.com If you use this method to report bugs/issues, please export the log from Control Freak and attach it to the email. To export Control Freak's log, launch Control Freak, press Menu > Export log. The log will be exported to /sdcard/cf.log. Please attach this file to any emails addressed to me using the above link.

NOTE: I removed CF 0.3b due to the number of bugs in that software. Granted, all of them were fairly minor bugs, and primarily affected the UI, other than the Max CPU Limit issue. But with that issue, on top of the inability to enable/disable a state since you couldnt see the checkboxes, ther wasnt a whole lot you could do with 0.3b. Anyway, 0.3.5b takes care of those problems.

I removed CF 0.4b due to the Save errors, 0.4.1b has the same functionality, and it works right!

A HUGE thank you and shoutout to b_randon14 for designing the new icon!
    Keep up the good work!!
    If anyone has a Samsung Intercept, or knows anyone with a Samsung Intercept, check out bROM over at sdx, a deodexed, rooted rom designed by my brother, b_randon14!
    I appreciate the thanks guys! As soon as ex and the Talon dev team get me some values, I will be getting started on the lmk interface.

On CF, I haven't updated anything, as CF is pretty solid, minus some glitches in the layout that are proving impossible to track down. Also, ex has removed gpu oc in some of his test kernels, as the gpu oc is not working right. So until ex gets gpu oc solid and added back in for sure, cf prolly won't see any updates, since all that really needs to be tweaked is the gpu oc values, plus the disappearing gpu line on the display, so until ex gets some work in on gpu oc, I can't do much.

Thanks again for all of the feedback and appreciation!!

Anyone interested in contributing, drop me an email at eric.clothier@yahoo.com, and I will get you added as a contributor on github!
    Anyone interested in designing a new icon for Control Freak? I have zero graphics design abilities, and would seriously appreciate if someone could design a nice icon. I will give a bounty of $5 US to the best design!!!

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using XDA App.
    ROM: Cognition v4.3
    Kernel: Onix 2.0.4, Voodoo Sound v7, Voodoo Color, lagfix
    Modem: I9000 tljl3
    HW Build Number: 1101

There simple rule. cpu can make almost every MHz..... but it depend of
    + Voltage
    + Load
    + Temperature

phone is mobile device with out cooling and free sunbathe.... And there is no module inside processor to controll MHz when power consumption or temperature go higher.... Sandy Bridge control MHz depend of TDP

-------------------------------------------

TDP (maximal power consumption) depend of MHz/(voltage*current)^2, and OFC load.... Voltage depend of technological process (I mean same size, but different manufacture), some got voltage 2V and current 1A, some got 1V with current 2A

So if you make 200MHz chip and with same performance but clocked 400MHz.... it will take two times more power if there is same Voltage....

----------------------------------------------
    So let's make it simple. If you got game... will you see differance 50-> 60FPS?

Sure not... but to make 60FPS GPU will have to be clocked with 300MHz sure with higher Voltage. God bless FPS cap (that fraking moders taking off).

-----------------------------------------------

Galaxy S got the most powerfull GPU at his times... And GPU is not ussually bottle neck......

ARM is the worst processor with so big mass production.... CPU generate geometry, and transfer it to GPU all the time.... So performance of GPU depend of CPU.....

SGS got same config as some Intel's atom. They got same GPU@400/300MHz.... See how good graphics they can handle on Windows.... But Atom is much more powerfull processor.

==================================

Why Samsung didn't put SGX535? becouse .... what I can see, more transistors you put underclocked better powerconsumption/ per FPS you get... So better SGX540 at 200MHz than SGX535 at 250MHz.....

---------------------------------------------

There is no burn test on Android, so you can't make stability test. Samsung making this test. There is usually limit about 10-30% just for stability reason for burn tests...

===================================

One mote thing you can overclock GPU only by bus. So overclocking GPU will overclock CPU, but... USB controller, video decoder too. So sometimes you got 20% of GPU limit, but when you whatch movie you will destroy video decoder.