Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

devwithzachary

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
I have tried to install this to my galaxy tab 10.1wifi but I I could not do that. I am getting the same error whenever I try to install this
Please help

what version of busy box are you running and where is it installed? also do you have lots of apps runnign from the sd card (over 255)

Indeed there are really only to requirements, root and loop devices support, most custom kernels should include loop device support. If they don't you need to have a word with your devices kernel devs ;) :p

What is loop device support ?

But I'd like to know what it is.[/QUOTE]

see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loop_device its basicly a feature of unix systems to mount images into a folder.

Reactions: crz6662

gokhansancar

Jun 8, 2011
Houston, TX USA
I am using the latest version of busybox and it is installed under system xbin as default and there are only couple of apps installed on my tab

PROBLEM HAS BEEN FIXED BY WIPING THE BUSYBOX AND REINSTALLING
THANKS GUYS

Last edited:

devwithzachary

Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
Post from the blog

I don't normally post over stuff from the blog for this project (the theory is this is more for support if you want to keep up to date you read the blog) but I wanted to make sure everyone saw the newest post :)

Ubuntu installer free updates + NEW Backtrack installer Free!

Thats right its update time again!
Ubuntu installer free has been updated to V2.2 and includes the following changes:

*Typos and errors in guide fixed
*New images to reflect the new Google play store
*Device list in FAQ link changed to new page with a much bigger list
*App code streamlined and changes made ready for next big update

But what I am sure most of you are interested in is the new Free Backtrack installer!
In the best a few have asked why there is no free version of backtrack and its always come down to really there only needing to be one free app to test the method. However every now and then people seem to be able to install Ubuntu but not Backtrack and thus end up buying the backtrack app but can't use it.
This isn't ideal and so how I structure all my Linux distro apps is changing!
Each distro will get its own free installer with all the normal features, but like the free ubuntu (And now backtrack) apps it will not include the boot widget, or fast downloading and updates will come slower.

There will then be ONE paid app that will sell for ~£2 and will include ALL the installers along with all the normal paid features. What does this mean? well for every future Linux Distro I do if you buy the one paid app it will be included free of charge! so there will no longer be a paid app for each distro but just one paid app that covers all of them.
Don't worry the paid Backtrack and Ubuntu apps will continue to get updates with all the new features and before the free apps, but the 'One' app will get updated before these.

This new app will be released in the coming weeks along with a third Linux Distro!

Anyway hit up the market for the free Backtrack installer now!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zpwebsites.backtrackinstallfree

devwithzachary

Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
In need of some seedbox's

Hello all, I am looking to create a torrent for the project which will include all the different images/apps and scripts for both ubuntu and backtrack (plus future linux distros) however my seedbox is being used for seeding Desire S roms.

Thus I am interested to see if:
A) having torrents to download the files is something you guys would want?
B) if anyone has a seedbox that they would happly upload my torrents to to help keep a good number of seeds?

ArmanUV

Jan 26, 2012
Hello all, I am looking to create a torrent for the project which will include all the different images/apps and scripts for both ubuntu and backtrack (plus future linux distros) however my seedbox is being used for seeding Desire S roms.

B) if anyone has a seedbox that they would happly upload my torrents to to help keep a good number of seeds?

+1 for torrents. I don't have a dedicated server but I have a Mac mini running 24/7 with 2Mbps up link.

braski

Jan 27, 2012
NJ
Don't know why anybody but me would attempt it but it works on Samsung exhibit II 4g Jocala's cm9 Kang and kernel thanks

Sent from my SGH-T679 using xda premium

nate.mcbride

Mar 13, 2009

Torrents would be great, wish I had any upload speed at all to help...

I haven't been able to test this, the downloads keep saying 'unexpected size of archive' if they even complete :(

ethanpil

Nov 20, 2007
Hi, I purchased the app.

#1 - I don't think its very nice of you to release a second app, essentially screwing the donors by making them pay again. Obviously you will spend your efforts on the "new" app, and we, your original supporters, will fall to the wayside. You might say, well we paid and got what we paid for. But when I buy an app like this, I pay knowing that the developer will always update with new and better features. This app I expected to get better and better, with new features and distros. Instead I need to rebuy. That makes me mad.

That being said, I think you have done an excellent job and this software works almost perfectly on my Xoom with Tiamat Honeycomb. I am very pleased with what is there so far, and so easy to use.

#2 - I think it would be very useful to have the option to store my preferred screen resolution and desktop so I don't need to type anything when i startup the linux. Cant you add some kind of feature that will save the selections to a bash script which can be included in the boot script (if it exists( to set the desired values...

Last edited:
S

siggismallz

GNOME

how do i switch to gnome desktop whats the command, is it just apt-get install gnome-shell?

Last edited:
S

siggismallz

i forgot to mention that i use the Lightweight Image and want to install gnome there, is it possible to remove lxde ? with apt-get without screwing everything up? i want a smaller image since i dont have so much space left, btw device galaxy nexus gsm cyanogenmod 9 27032012 nightly working fine does anybody know which vnc viewer on the play store/market goes to real fullscreen with hiding the nav buttons at the bottom on galaxy nexus?

Last edited:

devwithzachary

Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
Hi, I purchased the app.

#1 - I don't think its very nice of you to release a second app, essentially screwing the donors by making them pay again. Obviously you will spend your efforts on the "new" app, and we, your original supporters, will fall to the wayside. You might say, well we paid and got what we paid for. But when I buy an app like this, I pay knowing that the developer will always update with new and better features. This app I expected to get better and better, with new features and distros. Instead I need to rebuy. That makes me mad.

That being said, I think you have done an excellent job and this software works almost perfectly on my Xoom with Tiamat Honeycomb. I am very pleased with what is there so far, and so easy to use.

#2 - I think it would be very useful to have the option to store my preferred screen resolution and desktop so I don't need to type anything when i startup the linux. Cant you add some kind of feature that will save the selections to a bash script which can be included in the boot script (if it exists( to set the desired values...

Hi, firstly the paid ubuntu (and backtrack) app will still get all updates for that distro, and all new features etc, all before the free version.
You would only have to buy the new app if you want to paid features for the new linux distros that I will be doing. The reason for having a new app is to make it easy for to maintain instead of having a paid version for every signal distro.

In the new 12.04 images you can already store your screen size, and it will also store what desktop you want.

i forgot to mention that i use the Lightweight Image and want to install gnome there, is it possible to remove lxde ? with apt-get without screwing everything up? i want a smaller image since i dont have so much space left, btw device galaxy nexus gsm cyanogenmod 9 27032012 nightly working fine does anybody know which vnc viewer on the play store/market goes to real fullscreen with hiding the nav buttons at the bottom on galaxy nexus?

You can use apt-get that should be fine, you could apt-get install gnome but you will then have to change vnc setting in its config file found in root/.vnc/xstartup

S

siggismallz

used full image removed lxde and other apps everything is working up to now :)

S

siggismallz

i need jDownloader on Ubuntu but the system says its read only is this correct or did i screw something up? read something about rootstock and building your own image is that possible for replacing your predefined Image REFERENCE: http://code.google.com/p/native-android-development/wiki/UbuntuForAndroidDevelopment

edit: redownloaded the full image, added jDownloader ppa and installed it (sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jd-team/jdownloader && sudo apt-get install jdownloader unrar && jdownloader) everything works ! finally i can download something in a way its meant to be on android

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS PAGE IS NOW CLOSE THE PROJECT HAST MOVED TO A NEW THREAD HERE http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1585009

I have working on a project in the form of an app, which guides you through the installation of Ubuntu within android via chroot. It includes a ubuntu 10.10 image I have been working on which includes lots of program to allow users to develop program/scripts etc within Ubuntu on there phone/tablet.

However I have I have yet to get much testing on this device and would like more feedback from users!

Please post your device/kernel/rom along with what did and didn't work, so I can draw up what I need to change in the next release of the app/ubuntu build.

To keep up to date with updates and news of the project please check the website :)
    Website
    http://linuxonandroid.blogspot.com/

Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCqzs8yQTM8

App Download

Boot Script
    ubuntu.sh(V5)

Full Image
    This image is 1.5GB to download, once extracted 3.5GB, and include alot of programs like openoffice, thunderbird, firefox and over programs for 'developing' - Also allows you to switch between the LXDE and Gnome desktops, and you can define screen size on boot!
    ubuntuV5-image.zip

Lightweight Image - This is yet to be included in an app, will be included in the next release (aka 2.0 ;) ), so get it now before anyone else!
    This image is just under 500MB to download, once extracted 2.5GB, and include only programs needed (LXDE desktop, web browser, + other basic programs) also allows you to define screen size on boot
    ubuntuV5-sm-image.zip

12.04 images
    I have now started work on building new 12.04 images these come in core (just the bear-bones ubuntu) and full (ubuntu with GUI and other programs) and will be updated as 12.04 moves through its milestones (and when I make new updates to the mods I make from the main stream arm port).
    These are for testing ONLY until 12.04 reaches stable release.
    You can view the images here:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxonandroid/files/Ubuntu/12.04/

I also want to build up a small group of testers who I can email with new images and scripts, these will include all future distros that I do. If you are interested in joining this test group please PM me or send a email to zac@zpwebsites.com
    The only requirement is that your willing to test and send feedback along with screen shoots etc where required, it would also be good if your willing to try different roms and kernels for your device!

Sig Banner
    Show your love of ubuntu on android with my sig banner:
    ubuntuuser.png

image url is "http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11206993/ubuntuuser.png"

Other Guides
    Like this guide? want to try something different? then check out my other guides for different distro's
    Backtrack - This is a distro that is based around security testing, it also includes the Gnome desktop environment and a range of other programs.

Updates
    18/02/12
    *New 12.04 images started building, for now not included in the app but once a bit more stable will be included

29/01/12
    *New V5 small image, featuring fixed Java, even more lightweight (now around 1.2GB free) and user can set screen size on boot
    *PAID New Build guide which shows you how to build your own Ubuntu images
    *Brand new UI To make the whole thing more useable
    *PAID new 'one click boot' feature to allow quick booting from either the widget or inside the app
    *PAID new widget to activate the one click boot
    *PAID app install guide changed in light of 'one click boot'
    *Fixed keyboard mapping of random letters in Gnome

18/01/12
    *Large ubuntu image now allows user to set screen size on boot!
    *Large Ubuntu image now lets you select between LXDE and Gnome desktops
    *Large Ubuntu image has been recompiled to fix the likes of Java (note some of the above changes will be included in the small image in the future)
    *FAQ section updated with more answers to questions I have been getting
    *Install guide updated in light of the new large image

06/01/12
    *PAID app file downloads now use new fast FTP server and support direct downloading (click the button to download a image and it starts to download right away)
    *New boot script which has fixed problems with it not booting on alot of devices, and fixed problem which some people getting a grey screen when loading UI
    *Boot script now downloaded in zip file to fix problems with downloading script
    *Both apps fixed to support low resolutions
    *Both apps cleaned up

28/12/11
    *PAID app now supports 960x540 'qHD' resolution
    *ALL Ubuntu lightweight images cleaned up even more saved another 300MB of space
    *ALL Ubuntu images updated with all new updates
    *ALL Ubuntu images now in .zip format to fix problems with some peoples devices failing to extract the .rar files
    *Boot script updated, once booted now terminal acts like a command line interface for Ubuntu, and some boot problems now fixed
    *Image and boot script now downloadable separately to allow easier updating

19/12/11
    New 'lighter' ubuntu image options for all resolutions already supported

15/12/11
    New ubuntu images with all updates up to 15/11/11
    FREE app ubuntu image resized to fit 800x480 resolution
    PAID app ubuntu images now includes 4 images for 800x480, 854x480, 1024x600 and 1280x800 resolutions
    On htc sense 3.5 doesn`t work, this is the rom i`ve tested www.sms.goodluckwith.us with your image of ubuntu(the large one)
    Passion!

zacthespack you know you are just great man...thanks a lot for your hard work because you put a lot of soul and passion here!
    Hi zac,

- I'm trying out 12.04 and it works great on my SGS2 running ICS. The only issue though is that neither the Ubuntu Software Centre nor Synaptic seem to work - I click on the icon and nothing happens. apt-get however, does work fine and I'm able to install programs from the terminal.

- I want to increase the size of the image (using dd), but I'm not sure what block-size to use, so can you please specify what block-size you used to create the original image? Thanks.

- Also, a suggestion: Can you provide an image with Unity-2D pre-installed, and set as default? Afterall, Unity was designed for devices with small screens / resolutions.

- Finally, I replied to your blog post re. torrent downloads. Kindly check the same.

Regards,
    deX

Hi,

Thank you for reporting to software centre issues etc i will look into this and make sure they are fixed on final release

I will have to boot my ubuntu machine to check this drop me a email so I dont forget and I will do it in the morning for you :)

I have been playing with Unity but there are alot of problems with getting it running over vnc on android, basiclly no icons load which is quick a big issue :p I am continuing to try to work on this and had hoped that the full image on final release from beta would feature unity but time will have to tell

I shall check it out thanks :)
    is this like a flash or a new launcher?
    i would like to test it
    lg optimus s
    kravens iho
    looks like its pretty solid would u conisder porting this to the hp touch pad?

This is a guide to running a full ubuntu image within android, the guide includes links to everything you need etc, I have been working on the ubuntu image and guide for some time in the forums of devices I have so now want to expand to all android devices that can support it.
    Does the HP touch pad have android/a android port? If so its quite possible this would work