[MOD]viperMOD for Nexus S and Nexus S 4G - v3 beta RC2.4 |Updated 6.14.11|

Search This thread

-viperboy-

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2007
PA
Hey everyone, welcome to viperMOD for the EVO, Incredible, Nexus One, Desire GSM, Thunderbolt, Nexus S, Nexus S 4G, Desire HD, and Inspire 4G. Many people are having great success with this mod and I hope you enjoy my work :)

I would like to turn this into an app! If someone would like to help out that has Java knowledge, please contact me!

What does this do?
Kernel developers make their kernels to be "universal". By universal, they want the kernel to work on as many phones as possible so they may only mildly undervolt. However, some phones can handle a more aggressive undervolt. Some can't. viperMOD allows you to undervolt to your choosing for better battery life or allow you to overvolt to make your phone more stable.

How do I run this?
Once you flash the .zip go into your Terminal app (I use Android Terminal Emulator set to 10pt font) and type:

su
vipermod

I really only use Terminal for my mod and there is something really cool you can do with Android Terminal Emulator (and maybe others). Menu > Preferences > Initial Command > Press Enter and type su > Press Enter again and type vipermod

Every time you start Terminal now, it will open right into viperMOD. You can quickly exit by pressing Enter if you need to use Terminal for something else :)

UPDATE 6/14
  • viperMOD v3 beta RC2.4 is live!
  • Fixed some coding that was giving errors on certain ROMs and phones. Everyone please update to this!
  • Please see the updated FAQ and changelog for more information!

UPDATE 5/31
  • viperMOD v3 beta RC2.3 is live!
  • MUCH better support for NS/NS4G Netarchy kernels and other enhancements!

UPDATE 5/29
  • viperMOD v3 beta RC2.2 is live!
  • Initial support for Desire HD/Inspire 4G and more!

v3_beta_rc2_1.png
v3_beta_rc2_2.png
v3_beta_rc2_3.png

Please see viperboy.tiamat-dev.com for downloads, more information, changelog, and FAQ!
You can find the answers to all of your questions there!

Feel free to support this mod with a userbar in your sig :)
viperMOD_user.png

Credit to:
- snq_ for the VDD support
- Cayniarb for his awesome Tiamat kernel, hosting, and website!
- Netarchy for his amazing guidance and patience!
- My IRC friends ekarelis, bigrushdog, and morph3k for all their help!
- Ziggy for the adjustable sysfs interface
- Anyone who has done testing for me or helped me at all
- Everyone who contributes to Android development
- Let me know if I left anyone out!

Last edited:

brokentoaster24

May 9, 2010
Kansas
I was hoping to port this over when I had free time, beat me to it! :p

Search over in netatch's thread and you'll see there's a few discussions about uv'ing. There's also app over in themes and apps for uv :)

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

brokentoaster24

May 9, 2010
Kansas
It should be pretty easy. We don't have havs so you only need to echo one value for each clock speed and the voltages should be in sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/UV_mV_table

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
It should be pretty easy. We don't have havs so you only need to echo one value for each clock speed and the voltages should be in sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/UV_mV_table

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

Yeah, I read that in netarchy's thread. It's neat how you guys can go in increments of 5mv, usually it's 25mv. I'm going to try to get 2 ways of undervolting done tonight. I will definitly be able to code in lowering by increments, but it might take a little bit longer before I can code it to allow users to input the values they want. It's also a little bit more challenging when you don't have the device ;)

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
Ok guys, quick update. I'm still finishing up some things. With some MAJOR help from Netarchy, I redesigned this script. I'll post more details when I release. I hope to get this out in the next hour or so, but if not, should be out by tomorrow. Sorry for the delay!

window7

Sep 9, 2010
Anticipating! Wow! Cant wait to use it :D My battery has been draining a lot.

window7

Sep 9, 2010
Ok guys, quick update. I'm still finishing up some things. With some MAJOR help from Netarchy, I redesigned this script. I'll post more details when I release. I hope to get this out in the next hour or so, but if not, should be out by tomorrow. Sorry for the delay!

Good to hear that. Take your time, viperboy, all we had is time :):D

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
Good to hear that. Take your time, viperboy, all we had is time :):D

There is one minor graphical issue that I'm far too tired to be able to pinpoint right now. I work in like 5 hours, so I need to catch some sleep and I'll be back to working on this when I get off tomorrow. Thanks again for everyone's patience :)

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
Hey, if you need any help, I'm quite skilled with bash and sh scripting. Just let me know. I can double check all your code for safety/sanity. :)

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Thank you, I appreciate that. I will let you know!

I have been giving him a crash course in more advanced scripting (functions, etc). Fun stuff ;D

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

If I didn't say it before, you're the man! :D How do you like the script?

why not just bake the uv into the kernels?

Well, they are. However, some phones can run lower voltages than what is in the kernels. This is to make it easier for the user to do so without having to compile their own kernel.

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
OP updated! This has not been tested on an NS or an NS4G but it should work. Please post your feedback in here!

Also, as I stated on my site, right now you cannot save the voltages to an init.d file. This is due to a change in the sysfs syntax used in this kernel. I will have this fixed in the next build or two. For now, you will need to adjust your voltages after a reboot.

Enjoy :D

iamxeph

Nov 24, 2008
Sorry for my ignorance.

I can't get an idea that how is this different from Netarchy kernel UV function?

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
I already read that, but still can't get the differences. :confused:

What does this do?
Kernel developers make their kernels to be "universal". By universal, they want the kernel to work on as many phones as possible so they may only mildly undervolt. However, some phones can handle a more aggressive undervolt. Some can't. viperMOD allows you to undervolt to your choosing for better battery life or allow you to overvolt to make your phone more stable.

Long story short - undervolting is built into the kernel. viperMOD allows you to adjust voltages (undervolt or overvolt) to your liking. Normally, you'd have to compile your own kernel to do that, but with the vdd interface in Netarchy's kernel, the user can change these settings on the fly.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone, welcome to viperMOD for the EVO, Incredible, Nexus One, Desire GSM, Thunderbolt, Nexus S, Nexus S 4G, Desire HD, and Inspire 4G. Many people are having great success with this mod and I hope you enjoy my work :)

I would like to turn this into an app! If someone would like to help out that has Java knowledge, please contact me!

What does this do?

How do I run this?
    Once you flash the .zip go into your Terminal app (I use Android Terminal Emulator set to 10pt font) and type:

su
    vipermod

I really only use Terminal for my mod and there is something really cool you can do with Android Terminal Emulator (and maybe others). Menu > Preferences > Initial Command > Press Enter and type su > Press Enter again and type vipermod

Every time you start Terminal now, it will open right into viperMOD. You can quickly exit by pressing Enter if you need to use Terminal for something else :)

UPDATE 6/14
    • viperMOD v3 beta RC2.4 is live!
    • Fixed some coding that was giving errors on certain ROMs and phones. Everyone please update to this!

UPDATE 5/31
    • viperMOD v3 beta RC2.3 is live!
    • MUCH better support for NS/NS4G Netarchy kernels and other enhancements!

UPDATE 5/29
    • viperMOD v3 beta RC2.2 is live!
    • Initial support for Desire HD/Inspire 4G and more!

v3_beta_rc2_1.png
    v3_beta_rc2_2.png
    v3_beta_rc2_3.png

Please see viperboy.tiamat-dev.com for downloads, more information, changelog, and FAQ!
    You can find the answers to all of your questions there!

Feel free to support this mod with a userbar in your sig :)
    viperMOD_user.png

Credit to:
    - snq_ for the VDD support
    - Cayniarb for his awesome Tiamat kernel, hosting, and website!
    - Netarchy for his amazing guidance and patience!
    - My IRC friends ekarelis, bigrushdog, and morph3k for all their help!
    - Ziggy for the adjustable sysfs interface
    - Anyone who has done testing for me or helped me at all
    - Everyone who contributes to Android development
    - Let me know if I left anyone out!