[Q] Is this the end of GB updates for the ARC?

Search This thread

joens

May 3, 2009
Girona
Now that ICS has started rolling out for our beloved Arcs.... Is Sony planning to at least update the firmware of our Arcs to something resembling the Xperia S firmware? A modified 2.3.7

I know that there are custom roms that ported Xperia S firmware to the Arc, but there are some little things that do not work. :( Besides I cannot stand ICS... I have it on a Nexus S and I hate it!!! :mad: Am I crazy? It is so shiny... Hopefully the Sony implementation is better.

If we choose to remain on GB... is 4.0.2.A.0.62 the end of the line?

DemonicHawk

Jul 16, 2010
Yes, I highly doubt they'll release any update for 2.3. What issues do you have with it?

joens

May 3, 2009
Girona
My issues are basically interface-related, that is why I hope the Sony implementation is better than stock ICS.

1) Icons. Seriously. A 14-year old would like them, I am sure.
2) What the hell is a Google search bar doing at the top of the screen? I do not want it. If I wanted it I would install the 'Google search' widget. Make it go away.
3) Widgets menu placed next to applications menu. I understand this makes finding the wanted widget easier, but this is not a tablet. I do not think that mobile phone owners change widgets so often that they should have the same status as apps.
4) Shortcut to Google Play on the top of the apps/widgets menu. Again, no possibility of deleting it (like the search bar)
5) Inability to add apps/shortcuts/widgets to the home screens by pressing on an empty spot and holding. Now it has to be done by going to the desired app/widget and pressing and holding.
6) Settings. It is nice that now they are accessible via the notifications bar. However, it took me a while to guess that to configure WiFi access now I had to actually click on 'Wifi' and then a menu opened. I guess I am used to the old 'Wifi settings' menu.
7) GB on my Arc (1205 quadrant) feels more responsive than ICS on my Nexus S (1194 quadrant). A small difference but the Arc just feels faster.
8) Task switcher now shows a screenshot of all open/recently opened apps. Again, like a tablet. And again, this is not a tablet. Nice feature in theory however scrolling the list of apps is not as fluid as it should be.

Oh well I see that I should stay with GB :rolleyes:

Reactions: vr5411

DemonicHawk

Jul 16, 2010
Actually, I meant what issues you had with gingerbread that would require an update for. My fault for not being clear.

The ICS interface isn't for everyone, but I'm sure as time goes by there will be more custom ROMs based on it that will suit those that aren't too fond of the default theme.

pngface

Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
My issues are basically interface-related, that is why I hope the Sony implementation is better than stock ICS.

2) What the hell is a Google search bar doing at the top of the screen? I do not want it. If I wanted it I would install the 'Google search' widget. Make it go away.
3) Widgets menu placed next to applications menu. I understand this makes finding the wanted widget easier, but this is not a tablet. I do not think that mobile phone owners change widgets so often that they should have the same status as apps.
4) Shortcut to Google Play on the top of the apps/widgets menu. Again, no possibility of deleting it (like the search bar)
5) Inability to add apps/shortcuts/widgets to the home screens by pressing on an empty spot and holding. Now it has to be done by going to the desired app/widget and pressing and holding.
6) Settings. It is nice that now they are accessible via the notifications bar. However, it took me a while to guess that to configure WiFi access now I had to actually click on 'Wifi' and then a menu opened. I guess I am used to the old 'Wifi settings' menu.
7) GB on my Arc (1205 quadrant) feels more responsive than ICS on my Nexus S (1194 quadrant). A small difference but the Arc just feels faster.
8) Task switcher now shows a screenshot of all open/recently opened apps. Again, like a tablet. And again, this is not a tablet. Nice feature in theory however scrolling the list of apps is not as fluid as it should be.

Most of these issues could be avoided by using a different launcher :)

Overdose1986

Jan 23, 2012
Me too, I dont like ICS interface(is boring), only the task manager...

Ill stay with GB, maybe arconium or another custom rom

jason_jiang

Oct 17, 2011
Beijing
now we see Sony releases ICS for 2011 line-up, but with scale-down version of stock apps (comparing with those GB ones for 2012 line-up, such as SMS, music player, alarm clock, etc.)

so it's very likely that they are going to stop working on GB updates

Felimenta97

Aug 5, 2011
Ribeirão Preto

Some things can be changed with another launcher. Others, for me are improvements. ICS is FAR better than GB on UI.

adielee

Sep 30, 2011
Sony just announced a massive loss for the quarter.

From a business perspective I think it won't be feasible for them to focus on GB anymore since they are already going to roll out ICS for the 2011 range.

They are planning on cutting about 10,000 jobs worldwide, so I think that they will probably be only focusing on ICS considering the rollout and the fact that they have a big range of new phones this year that will all be running ICS in the future.

Also, once the 2011 range is updated (only due to an agreement/promise that they would) there plan would probably want to phase out the Sony Ericsson brand anyway.

Also, Sony has never really been well known for it's customer service/support, particularly for older models. I have a 2010 Sony Vaio Z laptop and the drivers have never been updated. It's now superseeded by the new model and now more updates will come for my model :(

CrazyPeter

Sep 1, 2010
The Sony losses are blown out of proportion by the Sony hating tech media. Sony aren't American basically.

If you don't like icons and stuff, just install go launcher.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Just ROOT it, and all bad karma goes away.....

peacekeeper05

Dec 22, 2010
Velenzuela, Metro Manila

1-6 is actually very solvable even without rooting. Lol. Just download a different launcher.

adielee

Sep 30, 2011
The Sony losses are blown out of proportion by the Sony hating tech media. Sony aren't American basically.

If you don't like icons and stuff, just install go launcher.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

As much as I love the brand I gotta admit that they don't have the best support though. lots of outdated drivers for other products that never get updated...... despite this, I keep coming back as they have awesome products.

chia8331

Apr 13, 2012
It's basically not necessary to update ICS, and ppl may still want to try it anyway (plus all the custom ROM flying around, it's hard to resist, really).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.