Fix for Nexus 7 2013 (flo) Touchscreen Glitches

Search This thread

RandomRanger

Mar 5, 2014
For a long time now my Nexus 7 2013 (flo) 32gb has had this annoying touchscreen glitch where it will get false readings causing it to push buttons I didn't want to press, zoom when I wanted to scroll, and generally make it unusable unless I rebooted (which on some occasions didn't fix the problem). After doing some research, I found that it seems to be a common enough problem, but there was only one thread that claims to have fixed it. Now, to be honest I didn't try his method, as frankly it looked long, complicated, and I never found the time. Yesterday the thought occurred to me that the screen may actually be picking up real interference, and that it may just simply be to sensitive, so I set about to decrease the sensitivity on the device. To decrease the sensitivity ( THIS REQUIRES ROOT) I used root explorer (you may use any file explorer that can access root files) and went to the folder "/system/usr/idc" and opened the file "touch_dev.idc" in a text editor. In this file I found the line "touch.pressure.scale = 0.0125" and changed the value from 0.0125 to 2.5. I then saved the file and rebooted. Since doing this I have not had the touchscreen glitch, and I have been using the device for a little over 24 hours now. I used to get the glitch about 3 times a day. I will continue to test this config, to see if it actually does fix the problem, but due to the nature of the problem, the only way to know if this fix works, is to use it over a long period of time. I will remove this post if the issue ever returns and I am not able to fix it using a similar method.

Notes:
* the directory is "/system/usr/idc/touch_dev.idc"
* increase the value of "touch.pressure.scale" to decrease the screen sensitivity
* make sure you have write privileges (in root explorer, don't forget to hit the R/W button before opening the .idc file in a text editor)
* don't forget to save the file
* after saving the file, reopen it to make sure the change took place, if it didn't make sure you have write privileges and actually saved it
* don't forget to reboot for the changes to apply (I'm not sure if its necessary, but am willing to bet that it is)
* this should work with other versions of the nexus 7 flo, not just the 32gb
* I am not liable for any damages caused to your device (you should know this by now)
*I have only tested this on one device, as it is the only one I have access to with this problem
* If this fix works for you, please let me know below, feedback is appreciated

* I didn't return the device, simply because I lost the receipt, and don't know if the warranty is still in place

Edit:
This does not work, after more testing issues returned. But I will continue to try different values to see if this can fix the problem.

Last edited:

Solaris81

Dec 3, 2008
Don't bother adjusting any further, it's a very well known problem and has nothing to do with this, put it back to it's default and then use the fix mentioned in this forum, (the software touchscreen driver fix). It's simple, takes about 5 mins, doesn't require root and actually works. TS10 solved 99% of my problems, which were pretty severe before.

RandomRanger

Mar 5, 2014
Don't bother adjusting any further, it's a very well known problem and has nothing to do with this, put it back to it's default and then use the fix mentioned in this forum, (the software touchscreen driver fix). It's simple, takes about 5 mins, doesn't require root and actually works. TS10 solved 99% of my problems, which were pretty severe before.

Ok, yeah I'll have to do that. I posted this a bit early, as I was seeing positive results at first and got excited. Thanks.

318sugarhill

Aug 31, 2010
yes, there are 3 different fixes posted, ts10, ts20 and ts30.....and there are a couple of others in that thread too. I found the experiment ts18 worked best for me. ts10 was an improvement, ts20 better, and and ts30 too sensitive. after sticking with ts20 I decided to try the additional ones and so far 18 is best for me.

try the 3 main ones....and use the one that works best......if you still see little bugs in it, then try the experimental ones closest the 10 or 20 or 30 that worked best for you. I feel like I have a brand new device since running this fix on mine. You don't have to be rooted, but you do have to be unlocked.

I have a wifi 32 gb model manufactured Sept 2013

pre4speed

Apr 17, 2011
lancaster
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Question, I originally bought a n7 lte (deb) in November 2013. Don't know manufacture date. Had to return for hardware failure in the touchscreen and the replacement was manufactured in November 2013. So far I have not seen the same touchscreen issues I had with my original (ghost touches, touches not registering etc). Should I try to use the fix in that thread or leave well enough alone? Tia

318sugarhill

Aug 31, 2010
Question, I originally bought a n7 lte (deb) in November 2013. Don't know manufacture date. Had to return for hardware failure in the touchscreen and the replacement was manufactured in November 2013. So far I have not seen the same touchscreen issues I had with my original (ghost touches, touches not registering etc). Should I try to use the fix in that thread or leave well enough alone? Tia

Well that's really up to you. If it works fine then you don't need a fix.... But if there are glitches.... Well you know where to get a fix.

Reactions: pre4speed

GSLEON3

Retired Senior Moderator

Okay, but you do know there are SEVERAL different issues with the touchscreen & that thread only will fix (partially fix as everyone I know that has tried it, still has occasional issues) one of three or more issues. There is also a grounding issue, that your reference WILL NOT FIX. There are also issues with the ribbon cable placement, which was my issue & several others, which requires opening the case & either reattaching the cable or reinforcing the connection at the terminal, which fixed mine & a few others. Just saying, I wouldn't blindly state that "this fix" will solve all your issues.

sam298

Apr 19, 2007
Denver, CO
I have seen different types of issues on my N7 2013 - 32gb. I tested using YAMTT app.
1. touch will not be registered at certain areas or ghost touches - this is worse with stock rom the tablet came with. the best solution for stock rom is to either try ts10, ts09 etc. or try different roms. I finally settled with AOSB rom with Glitch kernel, working fine.
2. touch will work fine if you hold the tablet in your hand or have it connected to usb or headphones. but wont register or see ghost touches if you keep it in a flat place and use it - (grounding issue) - there are various fixes i have seen. (a) remove the tablet and do fix (b) try different magnetic cases if you use one (c) some report that ts file fixes fix these too.
Mine still have this issue. I use it by holding it. Have to try the fixes above sometime.
3. Touch is too sensitive - I believe that is what OP suggests a fix. Sometime when i was scrolling through emails, suddenly a click registers and it goes inside an email. I will try this and report.

Even if one of the above fixes work, after some time if you see problems again, do a reboot and it will be back working normal again. I am still not convinced if it is just a software issue or a hardware issue or both.

R

random_username_

This seems to have helped with the 'jumpy' touch issues I've been having. It could also be because I just rebooted for the first time in over a month.

I set mine to 3.0, for me its a lot better than 2.5

Last edited:

marcoms@tesco.net

Apr 10, 2015
Nexus 7 unresponsive screen or reaction without touching

Started having trouble with my Nexus 7 2013 not responding to touches or sometimes just entering characters not touched when doing keyboard entry. Thought it might be sensitivity issue, but checked one of the posts on line here and found that mine was actually set more sensitive than the suggested amount. Thought it might be a software issue as it really started getting bad after update to Version 5.0.2. I found that it seemed to be worse after notices that some of the apps had updated. My solution albeit imperfect was to start deleting apps until I found the problem. Not sure which it is, but it appears to be some of the in built apps that come from Google. I forced stop on several of these like play movies and books and did the uninstall procedure. Like magic, my Nexus started responding like if was just out of the box. Unfortunately, Google has these set so that they evidently run automatically when the tablet is turned on and update by themselves (which seems to have the effect of turning them back on as well). In any case, when I start getting sensitivity issues like it not responding to areas of the screen or not swiping, I go to apps and go through the list forcing a stop on all I don't use (especially You Tube) then uninstalling (only option seems to be going back to factory versions). Nexus then works OK until the next "automatic" update, I actually use (i.e. enable) one of the apps or turn the Nexux completely off and reboot. At least it is less frustrating doing this every week or so than having a non-responsive tablet. If anyone knows how to "permanently" kill these Google apps or at least turn off the auto-start and auto-update functions, I would be pleased to hear it. By the way, the best I can tell, stopping these does not seem prevent You Tube videos playing or any of the other tablet functions from working, but maybe utilizing them from a browser or whatever is what triggers them coming to life again. I'm a novice so I don't know.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Well that's really up to you. If it works fine then you don't need a fix.... But if there are glitches.... Well you know where to get a fix.