HD2 adhoc wifi connection - NOT WLAN-Router!

Search This thread

ScruffR

Sep 4, 2004
Salzburg
Hi,

I've searched the forum but always found the wrong direction - how to use the mobile internet connection with a laptop. Answer of choice: "Use the WLAN-Router software on the HD2". That might work for others, but I need the opposite way.

I've got a Lenovo T500 with most recent WLAN drivers and the HD2 (OS 5.2.21869, Manila 2.5.19211619.0, ROM 1.66.407.1 (76641) GER) and I want to use the internet connection of my notebook (at work ;-)) with the phone.

So I thought I'd set up an adhoc wifi connection between those two.

But it doesn't work. Both devices see each other but none of them can connect. For the notebook I can set a static IP 192.168.1.xxx for the WLAN card, but how do I set this on the HD2. I've tried setting static IPs for all the network adapters listed under Settings -> Menu -> More -> Connections -> WLAN -> Advanced -> General -> network adapters -> network adapters ... (on my german OS: Einstellungen -> Menü -> Mehr -> Verbindungen -> WAN -> Erweitert -> Netzwerkkarten -> Netzwerkkarten ...). But on the "Advanced" tab next to "General" I get "Status: Connected to network, MAX: ........, IP 0.0.0.0". When I tap the WiFi symbol in the top status bar, it says: "Wi-Fi: not connected ...".

I'm lost! Can anybody help please?

Elemental_Fire

Aug 19, 2009
London
Hmmmm I would assume that the HD2 Wi Fi App emits an Ad-Hoc Wi Fi connection type....which is like a PC TO PC network connection right? Same happened to me, however in this case my PS3 didn't see my HD2 wifi network...so yes, it may not ever work..unless there's a hack someone develops ;)

ScruffR

Sep 4, 2004
Salzburg
Thanks for the reply, but that's odd.
I have no problem connectiong to my WLAN router at home (infrastructure mode). DHCP works perfect on that.
But at work my only way would to ad-hoc connect to my notebook and use its LAN connection from there on.
It seems a bit dumb to offer an ad-hoc mode and then not support it properly - so I still hope for some more feedback.

graememk

Apr 18, 2008
So is the Connection to your laptop a wired connection?

If so you can either connect your phone to your laptop via a cable and WMDC, or if you want wireless you can right click on your wired connection and go to the properties, you should be able to share the connection with your wireless card. the PC will handle the DHCP and IP Allocation. but you need to create a Ad-hoc network for your wireless card.

the_ape

May 30, 2005
www.nakedcleaner.com
all you need to do is turn the router on on the hd and connect to it e with windows, you need to set windows to be able to see adhoc networks though, should be in the advanced wifi settings.

graememk

Apr 18, 2008
all you need to do is turn the router on on the hd and connect to it e with windows, you need to set windows to be able to see adhoc networks though, should be in the advanced wifi settings.
No he's wanting to use the Laptops LAN connection if I'm reading it right instead of the phones data connection, ie Internet>Laptop>Phone if you turn on the wifi Router the internet connection will be coming from the phone not to the phone

kilrah

Sep 16, 2005
On the PC right-click on your LAN connection, choose share, select the WLAN connection as the interface you want to share on. Create an ad-hoc network on the PC, then connect to it with the HD2.
Or use ActiveSync/WMDC via cable or bluetooth.

the_ape

May 30, 2005
www.nakedcleaner.com
On the PC right-click on your LAN connection, choose share, select the WLAN connection as the interface you want to share on. Create an ad-hoc network on the PC, then connect to it with the HD2.
Or use ActiveSync/WMDC via cable or bluetooth.

Aaaah Gotya, if that's the case, try Connectify on the laptop to create a WiFi hotspot, and let it deal with the DHCP'd client for you. Works fine for me.

FaZa09

Apr 17, 2010
Olsztyn
Sorry for digging out this thread but I have the same problem (I can connect to ad-hoc with my notebook but I don't have internet on HD2) and any solutions in web didn't help me. Sorry for bad english :) Please - any suggestions?

xeebot

Mar 26, 2010
Los Angeles
I was having problems with ad-hoc connection as well. The only thing that fixed it was to delete the settings for my other networks and then the ad-hoc started working. I don't know if this will help everyone, but it worked for me.

FaZa09

Apr 17, 2010
Olsztyn
Sorry for digging out this thread but I have the same problem (I can connect to ad-hoc with my notebook but I don't have internet on HD2) and any solutions in web didn't help me. Sorry for bad english :) Please - any suggestions?

I was having problems with ad-hoc connection as well. The only thing that fixed it was to delete the settings for my other networks and then the ad-hoc started working. I don't know if this will help everyone, but it worked for me.

I can't delete settings of my other networks because I set static IP in connection with internet. Maybe I must try share internet via bluetooth. Where I can fin guide about it? (I've already tried to search on forum)

FaZa09

Apr 17, 2010
Olsztyn
I can acces to internet via router connection, but not by ad-hoc. Someone had this kind of problem and solved it with some program or smth else?

Salar.m

Jan 7, 2010
Shiraz
check it out !

chech it out it might help u, but select "work" instead of "internet" and don't open network adapters... ;)

Salar.m

Jan 7, 2010
Shiraz
exc.

:eek: oops... I can't paste link(because i'm new user), but search with google in the forum "how to access internet with laptop (vista) through wireless" and open the first link. I explained every thing there to set up adhoc connection with hd2...