[ROOT][5.0+] Font Picker for Android [07.10.2017]

Search This thread

IgorEisberg

Jul 6, 2009
www.audiobudget.com
ROM COOKERS: You can embed this package into your custom ROM, you don't need my permission. A credit would be appreciated, though.

As some of you probably know, the SomcFontSelector.apk in the Japanese firmware for the latest devices is pretty useless to us. It has only 4 built-in fonts with no options for other languages and no possibility to create font packs, or anything similar. So... I coded one of my own.

I present you my own Font Picker (formerly, Font Selector). Completely remade in Android Studio. Supports specialized and very flexible font packs that are specifically made for this selector.
I also include some ready-to-use font packs and there are more to come, as well as a quick guide for creating your own font packs for this selector.

REQUIREMENTS:
  • Any device running Android 5.0 or newer. (May not work properly on devices with MediaTek SoC)
  • Rooted + Custom Recovery
  • Deodexed
  • Disabled Signature Verification (Patched compareSignatures in 'services.jar')
  • (Android 7.0+) SELinux on Permissive Mode

Screenshots from my Xperia Z1 customized stock-based ROM, showing off the Biko font pack:

2unztyf.png

4vpkxu.png

1okenn.png

2pphunt.png

There are 2 variants with only one difference: a Universal one with a launcher icon, the other is for Xperia devices, and it doesn't have a launcher icon. Instead, a "Font" shortcut will automatically appear in your Settings->Display. And that's the reason why I kept the package name "com.sonymobile.fontselector" for this variant, because Xperia's Settings app checks if it's installed.
If the shortcut doesn't appear, flash the Universal variant. That will place a "Font" launcher icon instead.

Downloads:

Xperia: Font Picker (with a Settings->Display shortcut)
  • Newer device than the ones below: Any firmware.
  • Xperia Z3+/Z4: Any 32.x.X.x.x (Android 5.1.1+) firmware.
  • Xperia Z2/Z2a/Z3: Any 23.5.X.x.x (Android 6.0.1+) firmware.
Universal: Font Picker (with a Launcher icon)
  • Any device running Android 5.0+

Font Packs (by Dr. Death):
http://xdaforums.com/crossdevice-dev/sony/root-fonts-xperia-t3525492

Font Packs (by Igor Eisberg & Metallijim): [Not maintained]
wqq70z.png

21jbx3a.png

4u87ck.png

• Biko
    The font used in the screenshots, my personal favorite.
fleqsz.png

33otnk1.png

1zdav5z.png

2nuprns.png

2reo082.png

29oihwn.png

sywirl.png

16k5c2p.png

21l49lj.png

6rsgvk.png

4sh306.png

2hzpcp4.png

281eubt.png

2cn84te.png

dorpz6.png

Your Own Font Packs:
  • Download and extract this compilation: AdvancedApkTool-FontPicker.zip (Huge thanks to the creators of Advanced ApkTool and Apktool, makes life much easier)
  • Browse to "AdvancedApkTool/3-Out/MyFont.apk".
  • assets/fonts: Copy-paste here variants of a single kind of fonts (i.e. MyFont-Regular, MyFont-Bold, MyFont-Italic, etc)
  • AndroidManifest.xml: Change the "package" from "com.mysite.myfont" to any package name you want (it has to be unique)
  • res/values/strings.xml: Change the "font_name" from "My Font" to anything you want.
  • res/xml/fonts.xml: Change all of the file names to the file names of your fonts (i.e. "MyFont-Regular.ttf" to "Rosemary-Regular.ttf")
  • Go back to "AdvancedApkTool" folder and run "Advanced ApkTool.exe".
  • Select "3 - Recompile Files", and then ENTER.
  • Select "1 - MyFont.apk", and then ENTER.
  • Select "4 - Recompile, Sign And Then Zipalign", and then ENTER.
  • Press the Y key, and the ENTER.
  • When the recompilation is complete, go to "4-Done" folder, rename "MyFont.apk" to anything you want and copy it to your phone.
  • Install as any other APK.

Last edited:

amey2606

Jan 10, 2010
Navi Mumbai
Great work man.
Just one question, i use iFont for changing my fonts.
Will flashing this conflict with iFont.?
And will this work on a normal Odexed rom.?

Thanks. ?

whalesplaho

Feb 1, 2012
Treasure Island
Great job here... Im using ifont but doesnt change all system fonts, would like to use dis buh can i use ttf font with dis or make it compatible with ttf font. Thanks

IgorEisberg

Jul 6, 2009
www.audiobudget.com
Great work man.

Thanks.
Yes, once you flash this ZIP it will replace stuff in system partition, but after that no other changes are made to the system partition by the app itself. iFont, however, physically replaces fonts in order to install them, which means my selector takes priority as soon as you select a font pack. There shouldn't be any crashes, if that's what you ask.
The even better thing is that the font selector uses only the characters that are avaiable in the fonts pack, and for the missing characters it falls back to Roboto. Installing fonts with iFonts does not, they will fall back to some ugly fallback font instead.
It will work on an odexed ROM up to the point you wipe the dalvik-cache. Once you wiped the dalvik-cache, you'll be stuck in a bootloop (signature checking will fail, thus has to be patched). This is actually true for any other modified/third-party APK that you attempt to flash on an odex ROM

Great job here... Im using ifont but doesnt change all system fonts, would like to use dis buh can i use ttf font with dis or make it compatible with ttf font. Thanks
Dows this use .ttf files for the font?
Unlike what iFont made you believe, a font in Android is not a single TTF file, it has variants like Light, Bold, Italic, BoldItalic, etc. And these variants have to be mapped to the corresponding font families they should replace. You can decompile one of my font packs to see how a font pack actually works. The key file is the "/res/xml/fonts.xml".
Here's how this XML file should look like (I setup the Biko font to only replace Sans Serif, Sans Serif Condensed, SST and SST Condensed fonts, but you can actually replace even more less-used fonts):
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<familyset>
    <family name="sans-serif">
        <font weight="100" style="normal">Biko-Light.ttf</font>
        <font weight="100" style="italic">Biko-LightItalic.ttf</font>
        <font weight="300" style="normal">Biko-Light.ttf</font>
        <font weight="300" style="italic">Biko-LightItalic.ttf</font>
        <font weight="400" style="normal">Biko-Regular.ttf</font>
        <font weight="400" style="italic">Biko-Italic.ttf</font>
        <font weight="500" style="normal">Biko-Regular.ttf</font>
        <font weight="500" style="italic">Biko-Italic.ttf</font>
        <font weight="900" style="normal">Biko-Black.ttf</font>
        <font weight="900" style="italic">Biko-BlackItalic.ttf</font>
        <font weight="700" style="normal">Biko-Bold.ttf</font>
        <font weight="700" style="italic">Biko-BoldItalic.ttf</font>
    </family>
    <family name="sans-serif-condensed">
    </family>
    <family name="x-sst">
        <font weight="900" style="normal">Biko-Bold.ttf</font>
        <font weight="900" style="italic">Biko-BoldItalic.ttf</font>
    </family>
    <family name="x-sst-condensed">
    </family>
</familyset>

Last edited:

whalesplaho

Feb 1, 2012
Treasure Island
Yes, once you flash this ZIP it will replace stuff in system partition, but after that no other changes are made to the system partition by the app itself. iFont, however, physically replaces fonts in order to install them, which means my selector takes priority as soon as you select a font pack. There shouldn't be any crashes, if that's what you ask.
The even better thing is that the font selector uses only the characters that are avaiable in the fonts pack, and for the missing characters it falls back to Roboto. Installing fonts with iFonts does not, they will fall back to some ugly fallback font instead.
It will work on an odexed ROM up to the point you wipe the dalvik-cache. Once you wiped the dalvik-cache, you'll be stuck in a bootloop (signature checking will fail, thus has to be patched). This is actually true for any other modified/third-party APK that you attempt to flash on an odex ROM

Unlike what iFont made you believe, a font in Android is not a single TTF file, it has variants like Light, Bold, Italic, BoldItalic, etc. And these variants have to be mapped to the corresponding font families they should replace. You can decompile one of my font packs to see how a font pack actually works. The key file is the "/res/xml/fonts.xml".
Here's how this XML file should look like (I setup the Biko font to only replace Sans Serif, Sans Serif Condensed, SST and SST Condensed fonts, but you can actually replace even more less-used fonts):
Code:
<familyset>
    </family>
    </family>
    <family name="x-sst">
    </family>
    </family>
</familyset>

Nicely said. I do noticed more dan one font in Android font folder too... Dnt know if its possible if we upload our ttf fonts and maybe yhu make dem compatible with yur font changer please or a tut on how we can make ours. Thanks

Reactions: myxdadevelope

IgorEisberg

Jul 6, 2009
www.audiobudget.com
Nicely said. I do noticed more dan one font in Android font folder too... Dnt know if its possible if we upload our ttf fonts and maybe yhu make dem compatible with yur font changer please or a tut on how we can make ours. Thanks

If you have some readable fonts, that also have at least Regular, Italic, Bold and BoldItalic variants, I'll make you a font pack. It takes no effort anyway.
EDIT: I can also generate all of these variants myself if you at least have the Regular variant. Just make sure it's readable font, not a decorative one.

Last edited:

IgorEisberg

Jul 6, 2009
www.audiobudget.com
Nice work, feel free to use some of my font zips however you wish.

Sent from my D6603 using XDA-Developers mobile app
Thanks mate. My time is quite limited, hope you can make some font packs as well, I think it's time to move to this font selector in place of flashing ZIPs.

Those who have downloaded the Font Selector already, please redownload and reflash. I fixed the font packs not sorting alphabetically.

Last edited:

Metallijim

Dec 1, 2011
Bedford
Google Pixel 7
Thanks mate. My time is quite limited, hope you can make some font packs as well, I think it's time to move to this font selector in place of flashing ZIPs.

Those who have downloaded the Font Selector already, please redownload and reflash. I fixed the font packs not sorting alphabetically.
Makes it feel more like a part of the software (like Samsung do) I'll see what I can do in my spare time.

whalesplaho

Feb 1, 2012
Treasure Island
If you have some readable fonts, that also have at least Regular, Italic, Bold and BoldItalic variants, I'll make you a font pack. It takes no effort anyway.
EDIT: I can also generate all of these variants myself if you at least have the Regular variant. Just make sure it's readable font, not a decorative one.

here is a zip file of my fonts.... i still have some in apk format, dnt know how dah ll work for yhu!
thanks a ton.
https://tusfiles.net/j5sa7j19vs2m

Reactions: ladalgigi

ladalgigi

No reboot

@IgorEisberg

Hi,

I've flashed your icon version, and when I try to change font, when I tap reboot, nothing happens !?

My phone is xperia m2 rooted, with M5style v4.5mu1 (deodexed), xposed installed and disabled signature verification checked in xperia xposed module by serajr.

Any idea of the problem ?

Thanks for your work, and your help :good:
ladalgigi

IgorEisberg

Jul 6, 2009
www.audiobudget.com
@IgorEisberg

Hi,

I've flashed your icon version, and when I try to change font, when I tap reboot, nothing happens !?

My phone is xperia m2 rooted, with M5style v4.5mu1 (deodexed), xposed installed and disabled signature verification checked in xperia xposed module by serajr.

Any idea of the problem ?

Thanks for your work, and your help :good:
ladalgigi

Sounds like a highly modified ROM with a lot of possibilities of conflicts. I don't know what happened there but if nothing happens when you click Restart, there's something off about that ROM. Please keep in mind that stock ROM (just deodexed) was being in mind when making this mod, and I don't use Xposed, I create my mods myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: ladalgigi

IgorEisberg

Jul 6, 2009
www.audiobudget.com
dnt know wah im doing wrong.... tha fonts aint showing up in font manager.
i have a zip file of a modified font... please help @IgorEisberg

That's quite obvious. Your font pack is being rejected because you defined font files that don't exist in res/xml/fonts.xml. You only have Braket-Regular.ttf in the assets folder, while you define many others like Bracket-Light.ttf, that don't exist in your assets folder. Either set them all to link to Bracket-Regular.ttf, or make the missing fonts manually, like I do, with a professional software like FontCreator. It has a very useful Glyph Transformer.

whalesplaho

Feb 1, 2012
Treasure Island
That's quite obvious. Your font pack is being rejected because you defined font files that don't exist in res/xml/fonts.xml. You only have Braket-Regular.ttf in the assets folder, while you define many others like Bracket-Light.ttf, that don't exist in your assets folder. Either set them all to link to Bracket-Regular.ttf, or make the missing fonts manually, like I do, with a professional software like FontCreator. It has a very useful Glyph Transformer.

I didnt know brov... I just use yur base work!
I once used font creator but aint really good at it. will font creator convert a regular font to italics, bold and so on?
thanks for yur response!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ROM COOKERS: You can embed this package into your custom ROM, you don't need my permission. A credit would be appreciated, though.

As some of you probably know, the SomcFontSelector.apk in the Japanese firmware for the latest devices is pretty useless to us. It has only 4 built-in fonts with no options for other languages and no possibility to create font packs, or anything similar. So... I coded one of my own.

I present you my own Font Picker (formerly, Font Selector). Completely remade in Android Studio. Supports specialized and very flexible font packs that are specifically made for this selector.
    I also include some ready-to-use font packs and there are more to come, as well as a quick guide for creating your own font packs for this selector.

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Any device running Android 5.0 or newer. (May not work properly on devices with MediaTek SoC)
    • Rooted + Custom Recovery
    • Deodexed
    • Disabled Signature Verification (Patched compareSignatures in 'services.jar')
    • (Android 7.0+) SELinux on Permissive Mode

Screenshots from my Xperia Z1 customized stock-based ROM, showing off the Biko font pack:

2unztyf.png

4vpkxu.png

1okenn.png

2pphunt.png

There are 2 variants with only one difference: a Universal one with a launcher icon, the other is for Xperia devices, and it doesn't have a launcher icon. Instead, a "Font" shortcut will automatically appear in your Settings->Display. And that's the reason why I kept the package name "com.sonymobile.fontselector" for this variant, because Xperia's Settings app checks if it's installed.
    If the shortcut doesn't appear, flash the Universal variant. That will place a "Font" launcher icon instead.

Downloads:

Xperia: Font Picker (with a Settings->Display shortcut)
    • Newer device than the ones below: Any firmware.
    • Xperia Z3+/Z4: Any 32.x.X.x.x (Android 5.1.1+) firmware.
    • Xperia Z2/Z2a/Z3: Any 23.5.X.x.x (Android 6.0.1+) firmware.
    Universal: Font Picker (with a Launcher icon)
    • Any device running Android 5.0+

Font Packs (by Dr. Death):
    http://xdaforums.com/crossdevice-dev/sony/root-fonts-xperia-t3525492

Font Packs (by Igor Eisberg & Metallijim): [Not maintained]
    wqq70z.png

21jbx3a.png

4u87ck.png

• Biko
      The font used in the screenshots, my personal favorite.
    fleqsz.png

33otnk1.png

1zdav5z.png

2nuprns.png

2reo082.png

29oihwn.png

sywirl.png

16k5c2p.png

21l49lj.png

6rsgvk.png

4sh306.png

2hzpcp4.png

281eubt.png

2cn84te.png

dorpz6.png

Your Own Font Packs:
    • Download and extract this compilation: AdvancedApkTool-FontPicker.zip (Huge thanks to the creators of Advanced ApkTool and Apktool, makes life much easier)
    • Browse to "AdvancedApkTool/3-Out/MyFont.apk".
    • assets/fonts: Copy-paste here variants of a single kind of fonts (i.e. MyFont-Regular, MyFont-Bold, MyFont-Italic, etc)
    • AndroidManifest.xml: Change the "package" from "com.mysite.myfont" to any package name you want (it has to be unique)
    • res/values/strings.xml: Change the "font_name" from "My Font" to anything you want.
    • res/xml/fonts.xml: Change all of the file names to the file names of your fonts (i.e. "MyFont-Regular.ttf" to "Rosemary-Regular.ttf")
    • Go back to "AdvancedApkTool" folder and run "Advanced ApkTool.exe".
    • Select "3 - Recompile Files", and then ENTER.
    • Select "1 - MyFont.apk", and then ENTER.
    • Select "4 - Recompile, Sign And Then Zipalign", and then ENTER.
    • Press the Y key, and the ENTER.
    • When the recompilation is complete, go to "4-Done" folder, rename "MyFont.apk" to anything you want and copy it to your phone.
    • Install as any other APK.
    Great work man.

Thanks.

Dows this use .ttf files for the font?
    Code:
    <familyset>
        </family>
        </family>
        <family name="x-sst">
        </family>
        </family>
    </familyset>
    Any news on that sonysketch font?i really want that too

Yes please insert Sony Sketch and also Expletus sans font by my bro @Metallijim and this is perfect ^^

I'll be having some free time when I've finished work tonight.

ETA: 6am gmt. I'll post links here then @IgorEisberg can add to OP

EDIT: links removed, now found in OP.

Enjoy @Pandemic.
    @IgorEisberg, I'll let you handle the screenshots, you can show them off better! :laugh:
    I'm really appreciate mr. Igor's work so our Xperia device possible to change font from built-in Settings

now I want to contribute give some mod, this is helvetica neue font (iOS font) attached below (tested on Z3 MM eXistenZ 1.0.5)

P.S. merge font type
    Nice work, feel free to use some of my font zips however you wish.