Gear VR with Google Cardboard apps NO ROOT

Search This thread

clonednull

Mar 30, 2009
Vienna
Lo folks,

as it has not been mentioned here, there is a method without the need for root posted on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GearVR/comments/3c061s/cardboard_on_gear_vr_for_s6_easy_nonroot_solution/

Just received my Gear VR today and was looking for a solution to use Cardboard apps without rooting my phone.
Here it is:
- Install Package Disabler from the PlayStore
- Open it and check the box on the Gear VR Service
That's it. You can now plug your S6 into the Gear VR without Oculus Home starting up and use Cardboard apps.
To use Oculus Home again, just uncheck the Gear VR Service in Package Disabler.

The cool part is that the touchscreen and the back button is still working!
If you enable the "Developer Mode" in the Gear VR Service (before disabling it), you will also get the bonus of low persistence which makes the experience much better!

So have fun and all credits to enzo1982 @ reddit

ergalthema

Feb 6, 2014
This was a game-changer for me! I finally know what Cardboard apps look like with a good headset... pretty rough really. But I'm glad I can use the Gear VR for Cardboard apps now, instead of my crappy cardboard unit.

gagobaa

Jun 24, 2006
I cant enter developer mode because i have to have an app installed with my own signed osig file and im not sure how to do that.

clonednull

Mar 30, 2009
Vienna
I cant enter developer mode because i have to have an app installed with my own signed osig file and im not sure how to do that.

This is the easiest way to do it:
First install the SideloadVR app from www.sideloadvr.com.
Then complete their setup (in the app) to get your signature file.
After this you just have to download any app with SideloadVR as it gets automatically signed with your personal signature file. :good:

kabukiman

Jan 14, 2009
It doesn't seem to work under 6.0.1 on a Galaxy S7 Edge. Service cannot be disabled. Any ideas?

Chris_84

Feb 5, 2011
Ingolstadt
Xiaomi Mi 11
Hi guys. Could you please tell me where to find the developer mode for the gear vr service?

Edit: Found it out by myself. I also have to try the upper solution with my own apk.

Last edited:

kfmic

Mar 22, 2016
it doesn't work on my samsung s7 edge , after i did all those step , when i put in my phone , it just stay in normal phone screens

it doesn't work on my samsung s7 edge , after i did all those step , when i put in my phone , it just stay in normal phone screens
If you use package disabler to disable Gear VR Service, normal phone screen is what you wanted. You start a Cardboard app first, then put it in the headset at the appropriate step in order to use the app without starting Oculus software.

kabukiman

Jan 14, 2009
It's finally working on my S7 Edge. Just tried to reinstall Package Disabler. You have confirm this Knox Disclaimer on the first occasion. I skipped back and retried resulting in an not working admin state.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

maikmisery

Mar 24, 2016
Installed package disabler but when i try to check gear vr service it says "This packag cannot be disabled.deactivate adminfrom settings -> Security -> Device Administrator". i checked the settings. package diabler has got admin access. the "Gear VR Service" text is written in magenta. im using the S7.
any ideas on how to solve the problem?

edit: the error message occurs no matter what programm im trying to disable. even with self installed apks.

edit2: solved the problem. @all if you encounter the same problems, reinstall the app and it should work.

Last edited:

nervana1

Jan 19, 2009
Are there any free alternatives? This is pure bullcrap on oculus and I do not want to pay for this small fix.

sbaeder

May 8, 2010
if you look around the web more, you will find that you can "hack" it in many ways - disable the startup of the special GearVR drivers, don't plug the phone in (stick it "under" the flap with the usb plug, or even make your own "jumper" to switch of the OTG aspect.

Yes, you loose the sensors inside the GearVR unit, but cardboard doesn't use them anyway!

So just look around - there are ways to do it that are "free" (but again, YMMV)

mrmcbill

Jun 17, 2010
I've got the regular s7 running cardboard, but i can't find a qr code for my phone. I've found qr viewer codes for the s6, but that is the closest. Has anyone found one?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Lo folks,

as it has not been mentioned here, there is a method without the need for root posted on reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/GearVR/comments/3c061s/cardboard_on_gear_vr_for_s6_easy_nonroot_solution/

Just received my Gear VR today and was looking for a solution to use Cardboard apps without rooting my phone.
    Here it is:
    - Install Package Disabler from the PlayStore
    - Open it and check the box on the Gear VR Service
    That's it. You can now plug your S6 into the Gear VR without Oculus Home starting up and use Cardboard apps.
    To use Oculus Home again, just uncheck the Gear VR Service in Package Disabler.

The cool part is that the touchscreen and the back button is still working!
    If you enable the "Developer Mode" in the Gear VR Service (before disabling it), you will also get the bonus of low persistence which makes the experience much better!

So have fun and all credits to enzo1982 @ reddit