[ROOT KERNEL FOR TowelRoot] Tab Pro 8.4, 10.1

Search This thread

MiMo1111

Jul 19, 2016
Towelroot - use older kernel

Im new on these things, can i revert back to an older kernel?
And Does it matter if my Tab Pro 8.4 WiFi SM-T320 is a Nordic countries device, can i still use these provided files?
And which one should i use, there are two different versions provided in this thread for the 8.4 Tab Pro SM-T320. I currently have Android 4.4.4 if i remember correct, or maybe it was 4.4.2?

I want to use Towelroot but my device is newer than the latest accepted date for Towelroot, so according to instructions i should use this kernel file in this thread to revert back to an older one.

Thanks for some help.

rnwalker7

Nov 27, 2015
South Texas
I don't think you can flash an older kernel with a locked bootloader, especially with the Knox bootloader Samsung shipped out (you'll probably brick your device). The only way to revert to an older kernel (i.e. older firmware) is to unlock the bootloader. At which point, it's kinda pointless to use Towelroot, since I assume you don't want to void warranty. You might try Kingroot, but being Chinese, I'd be careful. Some other devs have been wary of the data the app sends back to its servers.

waylo

May 9, 2010
I don't think you can flash an older kernel with a locked bootloader, especially with the Knox bootloader Samsung shipped out (you'll probably brick your device). The only way to revert to an older kernel (i.e. older firmware) is to unlock the bootloader. At which point, it's kinda pointless to use Towelroot, since I assume you don't want to void warranty. You might try Kingroot, but being Chinese, I'd be careful. Some other devs have been wary of the data the app sends back to its servers.
No, that's the whole point of this thread. You can flash older kernels and not trip Knox. You flash the kernel through Odin, run towel root, then flash back the newer kernel. Knox gets tripped if you flash an unofficial kernel, recovery, or system partition.

But really, this tablet is old enough that the manufacturers warranty is over, so Knox trip doesn't matter anymore.

MiMo1111

Jul 19, 2016
No, that's the whole point of this thread. You can flash older kernels and not trip Knox. You flash the kernel through Odin, run towel root, then flash back the newer kernel. Knox gets tripped if you flash an unofficial kernel, recovery, or system partition.

But really, this tablet is old enough that the manufacturers warranty is over, so Knox trip doesn't matter anymore.

Thats what i thought but then i saw that the warranty is 24 month from the store this is bought from, so thats why i started to look for this root method without voiding the warranty.

Anyway would you mind telling me which file i should use in Odin, since i can see two different files in the first post of this thread that are for the tab Pro 8.4 WiFi SM-T320.
I have a nordic model Tab Pro, i don't know if that matters and if i can use these files anyway for my Tab Pro SM-T320 Wifi?

waylo

May 9, 2010
Thats what i thought but then i saw that the warranty is 24 month from the store this is bought from, so thats why i started to look for this root method without voiding the warranty.

Anyway would you mind telling me which file i should use in Odin, since i can see two different files in the first post of this thread that are for the tab Pro 8.4 WiFi SM-T320.
I have a nordic model Tab Pro, i don't know if that matters and if i can use these files anyway for my Tab Pro SM-T320 Wifi?

Can you read off the model # from the box? Also, what kernel are you on? Located under the device settings.

We have to make sure the kernel is compatible, and you would also want a flashable copy of the existing kernel. This thread is a bit old so not sure how available that might be.

MiMo1111

Jul 19, 2016
Can you read off the model # from the box? Also, what kernel are you on? Located under the device settings.

We have to make sure the kernel is compatible, and you would also want a flashable copy of the existing kernel. This thread is a bit old so not sure how available that might be.

Thanks for your answer. The model number on the box says SM-T320 (8.4 inch screen, WIFI only), and the Kernel in the device settings says 3.4.0-2690686 / dpi@SWDD5510 #1 (Wed, Sep 3, 13:34:57, KST 2014)
And build number says: KOT49H. T320XXU1BNI1

Thanks in advance.

waylo

May 9, 2010
Thanks for your answer. The model number on the box says SM-T320 (8.4 inch screen, WIFI only), and the Kernel in the device settings says 3.4.0-2690686 / dpi@SWDD5510 #1 (Wed, Sep 3, 13:34:57, KST 2014)
And build number says: KOT49H. T320XXU1BNI1

Thanks in advance.

Here are some general steps. There are a few unknowns here though.

1. We would want to flash back a kernel that is before 6/3/2014. Yours is from afterwards, so the towelroot exploit is patched, probably. You can try running towelroot to see if it works and then test for root, but most likely it won't work.

2. First, get the necessary backups in case something goes odd.

You are currently running version NI1. Your region model is XXU1B, which seems to be most of Europe and some South American countries.
Go here: http://updato.com/firmware-archive-select-model?r=NEE&v=&q=t320
and download it. This is the Nordic version of the firmware, though it's probably the same as the other countries with the XXU1B designation. This is the backup zip for exactly what you have now. In case something goes really weird, you can ODIN this and your tablet will be back to its current state, though your data may be wiped.

3. From what I've read from other users with the NI1 firmware, you can ODIN the rootable kernel in the original post here. If it doesn't work, you have your backup file to ODIN restore back to normal.

ODIN the rootable kernel from the first post, for the T320 wifi-only (that is what you have right?). See if it boots up and runs. If so, then run towelroot. Then install supersu.

4. Here's the decision point:
You can continue to run with the same kernel on this thread. I don't know if it matters at all.
OR
You can make your own kernel tar to restore yourself to the newer kernel specific for your region build. Or you can see if someone here has made it already. My quick and dirty search has not turned up any NI1 kernel links on this thread, though several users have done it.

If you decide you want to flash your original kernel back, and no one has it for you, you'll have to make it yourself. Go to this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2446269
and use the utility to make the boot.img from your downloaded backup into a flashable N1 kernel tar file.

Reactions: MiMo1111

MiMo1111

Jul 19, 2016
Here are some general steps. There are a few unknowns here though.

1. We would want to flash back a kernel that is before 6/3/2014. Yours is from afterwards, so the towelroot exploit is patched, probably. You can try running towelroot to see if it works and then test for root, but most likely it won't work.

2. First, get the necessary backups in case something goes odd.

You are currently running version NI1. Your region model is XXU1B, which seems to be most of Europe and some South American countries.
Go here: http://updato.com/firmware-archive-select-model?r=NEE&v=&q=t320
and download it. This is the Nordic version of the firmware, though it's probably the same as the other countries with the XXU1B designation. This is the backup zip for exactly what you have now. In case something goes really weird, you can ODIN this and your tablet will be back to its current state, though your data may be wiped.

3. From what I've read from other users with the NI1 firmware, you can ODIN the rootable kernel in the original post here. If it doesn't work, you have your backup file to ODIN restore back to normal.

ODIN the rootable kernel from the first post, for the T320 wifi-only (that is what you have right?). See if it boots up and runs. If so, then run towelroot. Then install supersu.

4. Here's the decision point:
You can continue to run with the same kernel on this thread. I don't know if it matters at all.
OR
You can make your own kernel tar to restore yourself to the newer kernel specific for your region build. Or you can see if someone here has made it already. My quick and dirty search has not turned up any NI1 kernel links on this thread, though several users have done it.

If you decide you want to flash your original kernel back, and no one has it for you, you'll have to make it yourself. Go to this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2446269
and use the utility to make the boot.img from your downloaded backup into a flashable N1 kernel tar file.

Wow, thanks for the detailed information. About the kernel, what would the downsides be to continue using a kernel from another region and a older kernel? Other language than my current?

EDIT: I tested Towelroot on my Tab pro, it said my tab pro is not compatible. Sorry for not understanding the process of creating an own kernel. I read the instructions on the provided link, it said that one is suppose to make a md5 file from a img file or from a boot file or something similar to that, but which file is the original file i should use to make my own kernel?

So which is the image file i should use to make the tar.md5 file?

Last edited:

waylo

May 9, 2010
The kernel is in the boot.img file. It's pretty small, usually <10 megs. So take that from the backup zip you downloaded and use the script to make your flashable tar.md5 file. I've never used the script personally, but you can post on that thread.

I don't know of any real downside to having the mismatched kernel. I ran with the towelroot-able kernel for quite a while before flashing back the matching one and really did not see anything noticeable. But I was at least on the same country-build, so your results may differ somewhat. The hardware is the same though.

Reactions: juanm72

MiMo1111

Jul 19, 2016
The kernel is in the boot.img file. It's pretty small, usually <10 megs. So take that from the backup zip you downloaded and use the script to make your flashable tar.md5 file. I've never used the script personally, but you can post on that thread.

I don't know of any real downside to having the mismatched kernel. I ran with the towelroot-able kernel for quite a while before flashing back the matching one and really did not see anything noticeable. But I was at least on the same country-build, so your results may differ somewhat. The hardware is the same though.

Thanks, do you mean from the original Kernel from the link you provided, in that case its only 1 file that is a tar.md5 file and its a big file around over 1 GB or something like that, how do i get the kernel /boot file from that big file?

Or do you mean the boot.img file from the rootable kernel from this thread, that files is about 10 Mbyte?
In that case i can not open / unzip the "boot" file in Win XP, it says:

"ERROR: internal error processing ISO image"

The rootable kernel downloaded from this thread is a ZIP file named T320_Kernel, when i unzip that file i get another ZIP file called "boot", and that file i can not unzip.
It seems it is not a WinZip compatible file even though it has a WinZip file icon?

Also in Mac OS X it says that the "image not recognized".

Last edited:

waylo

May 9, 2010
The file you need to bake your own kernel is within the large 1gb file. You have to find a utility (7zip works fine) and pull out the boot.img from there. Easy peezy.

Reactions: jingrongli

MagicianPe

Aug 24, 2008
Lima
mrisco.accesus.com
Post only to confirm that the method of the OP:
- Flash the lastest firmware with ODIN
- Install Towelroot, do not execute, copy SuperSU to SD
- Flash the old vulnerable kernel
- Execute Towelroot and reboot
- Install and execute SuperSU in System
- Flash the new original Kernel from the latest Firmware
- Boot into recovery Format Data / Factory reset.
- Verify SuperSU, reinstall if necessary
Is working for the 2017 security update of the firmware for the SM-T320: T320XXU1BQB2_T320UVS1BQA1_PEO

Regards.

Reactions: opeth2112

jacomail95

Nov 11, 2012
Fondi, LT
This method worked also for me, thank you. Can I now modify build prop, or to put scripts in system or to flash TWRP using the TWRP app without tripping Knox?

Inviato dal mio SM-T325 con Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As you may be aware, GeoHotz has created an app to root an android device using a recently discovered exploit.
    I tried it on my LTE Tab Pro 8.4 which had the latest firmware for my region "BTU" which is NB7,

It wouldn't work, but another XDA member @Inuit, said it worked for him with the DBT NE5 firmware he has on his device.

SO! I downloaded the DBT NE5 file, extracted the Kernel and repackaged it and flashed the Kernel on it's own. Then tried the root method.
    I have now successfully rooted the device and kept Knox at a cool 0x0.

I chose to do things this way, as I wanted to keep my regions firmware and not that of another county.
    So I still have my original firmware, but I am now using the newer Kernel, everything seems to be working fine but considering I only did this 15 minutes ago, I haven't had enough time to test. But connectivity is fine, battery levels fine etc...

UPDATE: Everything is fine for me, loaded Xposed modules, no adverse affects at all

I have attached the repackaged Kernel, all you need to do, is go into download mode and flash the file under the "AP" Tab in Odin 3.09.

Then install the TowelRoot app, which you can get from the links in the thread below:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2783157

Install the latest, SuperSU (again links in the above thread).

You should be rooted and Knox kept at a cool 0x0.

I have tested the this on my Device the T325 and another user tested the Kernel for the Wi-Fi version T320 and are working fine But!
    You try at your own risk!
    Download links below

attachment.php

attachment.php

TR Rootable Kernel for LTE 8.4 SM-T325
    Original NG1 Kernel for LTE 8.4 SM-T325

TR Rootable Kernel for Wi-Fi Only 8.4 SM-T320
    Original NG1 Kernel for Wifi Only 8.4 SM-T320

TR Rootable Kernel for SM-T525 10.1 LTE SM-T525

Since I had to read the 33 pages to root my Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 without tripping Knox, here's what I did to root it:

1.- Checked my current firmware: T320UEU1AOC1 with Kernel Version 3.4.0-4441590.
    2.- Downloaded Odin, the Samsung USB Drivers.
    3.- Powered off tablet, then pressed Home + Volume Down + Power, then Volume Up, and plugged in the USB cable after that.
    4.- Loaded Odin, clicked on AP, loaded the TR Rootable Kernel from first post.
    5.- Everything went smoothly, checked the tablet: same firmware and same Kernel version 3.4.0 but way older (from April 2014).
    6.- Went to towelroot.com, downloaded APK, executed it, everything ok, rebooted tablet and it's rooted. Installed SuperSU, disabled Knox (and I have no issues whatsoever).
    7.- Repeated steps 3 and 4 but using stormygal's AOC1 Kernel pack found in this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=59969126&postcount=302
    8.- Rebooted, still rooted with current firmware and current kernel version.

Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread. I read every post and I'm pretty sure every single one was useful.
    The stock kernel in the op is for a g1. I am on K1.

Check my thread. I have the pieces, including kernel. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2954549
    I am in the same boat. Haven't yet rooted my device with the same build. Your summary post is atleast helpful to me. If you could document your steps briefly, that would very helpful. Btw, does this method trips KNOX? Thanks

Glad you found it useful!

Actually, if I had to do it over again, I would probably do it the way I am going to describe below, as I am stuck on the G1 build for now, and upgrading to the K1 build rooted will require backing up and redoing many things. The K1 build supposedly has some added benefits (? faster wifi, better auto-dimming). I've only had it a few days and don't have any problems with G1 so I'll stick with it for now. Discussion on the newer K1 is here http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-pro-12-10-8/general/nk1-version-t2952355

1. Let the OTA update upgrade you from G1 to K1.
    2. Power down the tablet. Then boot your tablet into download mode (power on while holding volume down). Using ODIN 3.09 or higher, take the TR Rootable Kernel from the first post here, and place it in the AP slot. Earlier versions will call that slot PDA. I think it will still work regardless of Odin version.
    3. Boot back into Android. Check that the kernel is 3.4.0-1263708 with an April 2014 build.
    4. Then run towelroot. It should say it was successful. Install supersu to manage root privileges. It will ask if you want to disable Knox. Some/many people have had issues with reboots if they elect to do this, so I've selected NEVER.
    5. Go back into download mode, and restore the K1 kernel. It should be available http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-pro-12-10-8/general/t320xar1ank1-extracted-stock-firmware-t2954549

The whole point of using towelroot is that it will not trip the Knox e-fuse. You're limited to just having root on the stock Touchwiz rom though.

Knox if fairly annoying and will continue to bug you for doing advanced root-related things. I installed xposed and Wanam, and one of the options in Wanam is to turn off the Knox annoyances.
    SM-T320 With T320XXU1ANAI from Peru

I want to confirm that using the kernel posted in this thread I was able to root the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 using [TR] with the stock firmware T320XXU1ANAI

Of course Knox flag was not tripped.

Thanks!