Search This thread

paxChristos

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 27, 2011
West Bend
Here's how to use logcat:
There are two main ways to do a logcat, within android, and through adb.
Logcat within android can be done one of two ways, through a Logcat app:
Here are two good examples are either: aLogcat or Catlog
I prefer catlog, because in my opinion it has a little bit nicer UI. Both of these programs can dump their logs to a txt file, which is very useful for debugging. Or, you can do it in terminal emulator (same rules as running through adb(see below))

From Moscow Desire:
Just a little more info when doing logcat.

Remember, Logcat will run till you end the session. ;) And it won't always create the file till you do so. It's possible you may not see the logfile for a minute or so.

Edit: For phones/tablets with internal storage & external sd:
(note that the location naming convention may be different depending on device)

Open your terminal app;

Type: logcat > /sdcard/logcat.txt (this should create it in internal memory on the tablet)

To send to ext sd card: logcat > /mnt/external_sd/logcat.txt

I use a tablet for example ;) Phones may have a different naming convention.

MD

On the other hand, using adb to run logcat, in my opinion is much more useful, because you can start using it when android boots (i.e. once the boot animation appears.)

The code for logcat to output to a file is
Code:
adb logcat > name of problem.txt
you can also do
Code:
adb logcat -f name of problem.txt
how I prefer to do it is this way:
Code:
adb logcat -v long > name of problem.txt
with the -v flag & the long argument, it changes output to long style, which means every line of logcat will be on its own line (makes it a little neater, imo)
Note: When outputting to a file, you will see a newline, but nothing printed, this is normal. To stop logcat from writting to a file, you need to press ctrl+c.

Here's where using logcat (via adb makes life really easy)
Lets say you find a problem you're having after looking at a logcat.

For example:
When I was trying to use a different ramdisk, wifi wouldn't work so I got a logcat that's almost 1300 lines long (a lot of stuff happens in the background)

So if you are searching for an error in the logcat file (it's always e/ for error, f/ for fatal. Those are the two main things that will break a system.)

Code:
D/dalvikvm(  871): GC_CONCURRENT freed 472K, 6% free 10224K/10823K, paused 1ms+6ms
V/AmazonAppstore.DiskInspectorServiceImpl(  871): Available blocks: 21981, Block size: 4096, Free: 90034176, Threshold: 5242880, withinThreshold? true
D/AmazonAppstore.UpdateService(  871): Received action: null from intent: Intent { cmp=com.amazon.venezia/com.amazon.mas.client.framework.UpdateService }
W/AmazonAppstore.UpdateService(  871): Confused about why I'm running with this intent action: null from intent: Intent { cmp=com.amazon.venezia/com.amazon.mas.client.framework.UpdateService }
D/dalvikvm(  890): GC_CONCURRENT freed 175K, 4% free 9375K/9671K, paused 2ms+3ms
V/AmazonAppstore.ReferenceCounter(  871): Reference (MASLoggerDB) count has gone to 0. Closing referenced object.
E/WifiStateMachine(  203): Failed to reload STA firmware java.lang.IllegalStateException: Error communicating to native daemon 
V/AmazonAppstore.UpdateService(  871): runUpdateCommand doInBackground started.
V/AmazonAppstore.UpdateService(  871): Running UpdateCommand: digitalLocker
V/AmazonAppstore.UpdateCommand(  871): Not updating key: digitalLocker from: 1334228488057
V/AmazonAppstore.UpdateService(  871): Finished UpdateCommand: digitalLocker
V/AmazonAppstore.UpdateService(  871): Running UpdateCommand: serviceConfig
V/AmazonAppstore.MASLoggerDB(  871): performLogMetric: Metric logged: ResponseTimeMetric [fullName=com.amazon.venezia.VeneziaApplication_onCreate, build=release-2.3, date=Wed Apr 11 13:10:55 CDT 2012, count=1, value=1601.0]
V/AmazonAppstore.MASLoggerDB(  871): onBackgroundTaskSucceeded: Metric logged: ResponseTimeMetric [fullName=com.amazon.venezia.VeneziaApplication_onCreate, build=release-2.3, date=Wed Apr 11 13:10:55 CDT 2012, count=1, value=1601.0]
W/CommandListener(  118): Failed to retrieve HW addr for eth0 (No such device)
D/CommandListener(  118): Setting iface cfg
D/NetworkManagementService(  203): rsp 
D/NetworkManagementService(  203): flags 
E/WifiStateMachine(  203): Unable to change interface settings: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to communicate with native daemon to interface setcfg - com.android.server.NativeDaemonConnectorException: Cmd {interface setcfg eth0 0.0.0.0 0 [down]} failed with code 400 : {Failed to set address (No such device)}
W/PackageParser(  203): Unknown element under : supports-screen at /mnt/asec/com.android.aldiko-1/pkg.apk Binary XML file line #16
D/wpa_supplicant(  930): wpa_supplicant v0.8.x
D/wpa_supplicant(  930): random: Trying to read entropy from /dev/random
D/wpa_supplicant(  930): Initializing interface 'eth0' conf '/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf' driver 'wext' ctrl_interface 'N/A' bridge 'N/A'
D/wpa_supplicant(  930): Configuration file '/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf' -> '/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf'
D/wpa_supplicant(  930): Reading configuration file '/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf'
D/wpa_supplicant(  930): ctrl_interface='eth0'
D/wpa_supplicant(  930): update_config=1
D/wpa_supplicant(  930): Line: 4 - start of a new network block
D/wpa_supplicant(  930): key_mgmt: 0x4
(mind you, that's 29 lines out of 1300ish, just for example)

I then could do the following with logcat:
Code:
adb logcat WifiStateMachine:E *:S -v long > name of problem.txt

and this will only print out any errors associated with WifiStateMachine, and anything which is fatal, which makes it about a million times easier to figure out what's going on!

In WifiStateMachine:E, the :E = to look for Errors, the full list of options is as follows:
V — Verbose (lowest priority)
D — Debug
I — Info (default priority)
W — Warning
E — Error
F — Fatal
S — Silent (highest priority, on which nothing is ever printed)

You can replace the :E with any other letter from above to get more info.
In order to filter out anything other than what you are looking for (in this case, WifiStateMachine) you must put a *:S after your last command (i.e. WifiStateMachine:E ThemeChoose:V ... ... AndroidRuntime:E *:S)

Sources: http://developer.android.com/tools/help/logcat.html
http://developer.android.com/tools/help/adb.html

Update for windows users:
Thank go to FuzzyMeep Two, Here's what he's posted for windows

I have made a tool to simplify this for people. I will send you the .bat version, to see the validity of the file, and post the .exe for everyone else.

http://logcat-tool.googlecode.com/files/logcatHELPER.exe

I made this in about a half hour, so if you fnd any issues let me know. I believe i worked out all functionality issues, and do plan on expanding functionality in the future.
(If you used his tool, here's his post, thank him for his work!)

Last edited:

paxChristos

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 27, 2011
West Bend
Perfect tutorial. Well done. :) ... I'll translate your tutorial into my language to share it other people. ;)

Thank you! And thanks for taking your time to translate it!

If you need me to clarify anything shoot me a PM, and I'll help! (Same goes for anybody else interested in porting to their language)

Pax

Krain

Nov 24, 2010
Very nice, but I do have a question (and I started programming for Android recently): What do you do when the system reboots while debugging (in my case musb_hdrc.ko)? I tried catlog, but the logs are empty... Is there another way to do that?

Thank you in advance

paxChristos

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 27, 2011
West Bend
Very nice, but I do have a question (and I started programming for Android recently): What do you do when the system reboots while debugging (in my case musb_hdrc.ko)? I tried catlog, but the logs are empty... Is there another way to do that?

Thank you in advance

Use adb instead of an in-android method to capture the logs, you can start when the boot animation starts (note: Not when the kernel splash screen appears) and when it reboots, it'll automatically end. (i.e. run the following in command prompt:
Code:
 adb logcat *:E > oh_nos_it_crashed.txt
)

If you're not getting to the boot animation (keeps cycling on the Kernel splash screen) then you have kernel issues, and you need a kernel that has integrated last_kmsg (a whole different ball of wax that I'm still learning about) to figure out what's going on. (kmesg's are direct kernel output)

Maybe if someone like AdamOutler ;) ;) (or any other Dev who has a much better handle on them than myself) were to explain them, it'd help :D

Pax

Last edited:

tranceph0rmer

Jun 15, 2012
New Delhi
Hey man regarding your guide .
I was testing a built of cm9 from my htc one v and it wasnt booting so the dev told me to do a logcat for it .
Just wondering what the process and commands would be?
Thanks.

Reactions: paxChristos

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator

Remember, Logcat will run till you end the session. ;) And it won't always create the file till you do so. It's possible you may not see the logfile for a minute or so.

But what if you can't connect ADB to your device? You can do this

Open your terminal app;

Type: logcat > /sdcard/logcat.txt (this should create it in internal memory on the tablet)

Nice definition of the display terminology ;)

MD

Last edited:

paxChristos

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 27, 2011
West Bend
Hey man regarding your guide .
I was testing a built of cm9 from my htc one v and it wasnt booting so the dev told me to do a logcat for it .
Just wondering what the process and commands would be?
Thanks.

What you'll wanna do is run the following,
Code:
 adb logcat *:E > crash.txt
And look at the output file specifically for lines that say 0x0deadbaad (if you see that, that means there's a problem with the Java libraries it references above it) otherwise look for other F/ lines, that'll point you in the right direction.

If you're having issues where and is not accessible for to buy having USB debugging turned off because of doing a /data wipe (factory data reset) first install a similar Rom (in your case, a prior, stable CM9, boot into it, turn on usb debugging, reboot into recovery & only write /cache & dalvik cache before installing the offending Rom & getting your logcat (sorry if I rambled, just got done working a double :( )

Pax

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk 2

paxChristos

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 27, 2011
West Bend

Open your terminal app;

MD

Thanks, MD!

The problem is when you can't access terminal (bootloops, fc'ing like it's going out of style, etc.) that adb is really useful. Sometimes to trick the system into working, you can (esp with AOSP based roms) install a same version of android (I.e. 4.0.4) & not wipe /data (after turning on usb debugging) & still have an access :p (I learned this after spending about 2-3 months crack flashing my own builds & getting tired of titanium restoring all my apps)

Pax

tranceph0rmer

Jun 15, 2012
New Delhi
What you'll wanna do is run the following,
Code:
 adb logcat *:E > crash.txt
And look at the output file specifically for lines that say 0x0deadbaad (if you see that, that means there's a problem with the Java libraries it references above it) otherwise look for other F/ lines, that'll point you in the right direction.

If you're having issues where and is not accessible for to buy having USB debugging turned off because of doing a /data wipe (factory data reset) first install a similar Rom (in your case, a prior, stable CM9, boot into it, turn on usb debugging, reboot into recovery & only write /cache & dalvik cache before installing the offending Rom & getting your logcat (sorry if I rambled, just got done working a double :( )

Pax

Thanks for the info.
Will do that the next time i get stuck at the boot animation :p

Reactions: paxChristos

paxChristos

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 27, 2011
West Bend
can anyone tell me how to clear / reset logcat?

Thanks in advance :)

Why would you want to do that? :p

To my knowledge, the only way logcat is reset is if you reboot your phone.

That's why filtering your results is very helpful, because no matter how long it's been running, you can get the info that you want without extraneous information :p

Pax

klin1344

Nov 11, 2011
Man thank you so much for the awesome guide!
Now I can actually filter out my logcat results instead of searching through the entire log. :)

Sent using Tapatalk

FuzzyMeep Two

Feb 21, 2012
Southern NH
Helpful Tool

Here's how to use logcat.....

I have made a tool to simplify this for people. I will send you the .bat version, to see the validity of the file, and post the .exe for everyone else.
FIXED HUGE ISSUE CAUSING EMPTY FILES
DOWNLOAD

PM or post here if you run into any issues. They WILL be addressed.

I have made a tool to simplify Logcat creation for people. The creation of this tool was inspired, and guided, by the thread started HERE by paxChristos.

UPDATE 4.1
Corrected an issue causing empty files.

apparently, if the process id contained a space ( 1234) the file would parse correctly, but if the numbers came up to the parenthesis (12345) it would output an empty file named ACTIVITY(12345) with no extension.

This was a huge issue, and i apologize for not seeing it sooner. It has been corrected, and the logcat tool works better than ever. I just ran through a 20,000 line logcat without any empty files appearing.

a couple more things to help with stability.
Underscores (_) will be replaced by dashes (-)
Brackets ([]) and arrows (<>) will be replaced with paranthesis(())

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HUGE UPDATE

Added the ability to "SUPER PARSE" Files, which separates files into folders by log level and creates a TXT file for each activity
Super parse DOES NOT Work with LONG format Logs.
SUPER PARSE is in its infancy I do expect errors, please let me know if you run into anything.
OLD STUFF

EDIT V3.6 DONE
Added ability to filter logcats by activity name. (logcat -s "FILTER")
Fixed Log Level Setting

EDIT V3.5 DONE

NOW PROPERLY PARSES "LONG" FORMAT LOGCATS.
Thank you to Senior Member jes0411 for pointing out the issues that lead me to create V3.4 and 3.5. If any of you have an issue please let me know. It could be hours before i get to it or weeks, but i will get to fixing it.

EDIT V3.4 DONE

Changed the way the date variable was handled to hopefully fix issues experienced by users of non-English versions of windows.

EDIT V3.3 DONE

EDIT V 3.2 Finished
Google code won't allow any new uploads, so i uploaded the new update to XDA in a ZIP file.

Fixed ADB Location settings, some users were having trouble if they input the ADB folder with any quotation marks in the path name, it will now automatically remove quotation marks to ensure correct syntax.
Fixed issue with ADB Location setting not exiting to previous menu.
Fixed issue with Log Level setting not exiting to previous menu.
Capitalized some stuff
Added a feature that will automatically create the selected folder if no output folder exists and the user attempts to run a log.
Added a check when selecting an output folder that will ask if you want the folder created if it does not exist

EDIT V3.1 DONE
FIXED OPTIONS 7 & 8, URLS WERE MISSING A "?"
CHANGELOG EDITS
SAVES AND PARSES FILES IN TO DIFFERENT OUPUT FILES BASED ON LOG LEVEL (E , I , D , W , ETC)

LOGCAT TOOL v1.1 by FuzzyMeep TWO

I made this in about a half hour, so if you fnd any issues let me know. I believe i worked out all functionality issues, and do plan on expanding functionality in the future.

reposted HERE

Edit: source here.
Batch Source

EDIT: UPDATED TO V1.1
added the framework to add filtering to your logcat, it is in the exe, but not utilized yet (still bugy). i have also worked out a few minor bugs in this release.

Last edited:

mcmb03

Feb 24, 2011
thanks a ton for the in depth guide. I was always fairly confused on how to approach this, so now I'll have something to refer to in order to help all of the awesome devs here.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here's how to use logcat:
    There are two main ways to do a logcat, within android, and through adb.
    Logcat within android can be done one of two ways, through a Logcat app:
    Here are two good examples are either: aLogcat or Catlog
    I prefer catlog, because in my opinion it has a little bit nicer UI. Both of these programs can dump their logs to a txt file, which is very useful for debugging. Or, you can do it in terminal emulator (same rules as running through adb(see below))

From Moscow Desire:

Edit: For phones/tablets with internal storage & external sd:

Open your terminal app;

MD

On the other hand, using adb to run logcat, in my opinion is much more useful, because you can start using it when android boots (i.e. once the boot animation appears.)

The code for logcat to output to a file is
    Code:
    adb logcat > name of problem.txt
    you can also do
    Code:
    adb logcat -f name of problem.txt
    how I prefer to do it is this way:
    Code:
    adb logcat -v long > name of problem.txt
    with the -v flag & the long argument, it changes output to long style, which means every line of logcat will be on its own line (makes it a little neater, imo)
    Note: When outputting to a file, you will see a newline, but nothing printed, this is normal. To stop logcat from writting to a file, you need to press ctrl+c.

Here's where using logcat (via adb makes life really easy)
    Lets say you find a problem you're having after looking at a logcat.

For example:
    When I was trying to use a different ramdisk, wifi wouldn't work so I got a logcat that's almost 1300 lines long (a lot of stuff happens in the background)

So if you are searching for an error in the logcat file (it's always e/ for error, f/ for fatal. Those are the two main things that will break a system.)

Code:
    D/dalvikvm(  871): GC_CONCURRENT freed 472K, 6% free 10224K/10823K, paused 1ms+6ms
    V/AmazonAppstore.DiskInspectorServiceImpl(  871): Available blocks: 21981, Block size: 4096, Free: 90034176, Threshold: 5242880, withinThreshold? true
    D/AmazonAppstore.UpdateService(  871): Received action: null from intent: Intent { cmp=com.amazon.venezia/com.amazon.mas.client.framework.UpdateService }
    W/AmazonAppstore.UpdateService(  871): Confused about why I'm running with this intent action: null from intent: Intent { cmp=com.amazon.venezia/com.amazon.mas.client.framework.UpdateService }
    D/dalvikvm(  890): GC_CONCURRENT freed 175K, 4% free 9375K/9671K, paused 2ms+3ms
    V/AmazonAppstore.ReferenceCounter(  871): Reference (MASLoggerDB) count has gone to 0. Closing referenced object.
    E/WifiStateMachine(  203): Failed to reload STA firmware java.lang.IllegalStateException: Error communicating to native daemon 
    V/AmazonAppstore.UpdateService(  871): runUpdateCommand doInBackground started.
    V/AmazonAppstore.UpdateService(  871): Running UpdateCommand: digitalLocker
    V/AmazonAppstore.UpdateCommand(  871): Not updating key: digitalLocker from: 1334228488057
    V/AmazonAppstore.UpdateService(  871): Finished UpdateCommand: digitalLocker
    V/AmazonAppstore.UpdateService(  871): Running UpdateCommand: serviceConfig
    V/AmazonAppstore.MASLoggerDB(  871): performLogMetric: Metric logged: ResponseTimeMetric [fullName=com.amazon.venezia.VeneziaApplication_onCreate, build=release-2.3, date=Wed Apr 11 13:10:55 CDT 2012, count=1, value=1601.0]
    V/AmazonAppstore.MASLoggerDB(  871): onBackgroundTaskSucceeded: Metric logged: ResponseTimeMetric [fullName=com.amazon.venezia.VeneziaApplication_onCreate, build=release-2.3, date=Wed Apr 11 13:10:55 CDT 2012, count=1, value=1601.0]
    W/CommandListener(  118): Failed to retrieve HW addr for eth0 (No such device)
    D/CommandListener(  118): Setting iface cfg
    D/NetworkManagementService(  203): rsp 
    D/NetworkManagementService(  203): flags 
    E/WifiStateMachine(  203): Unable to change interface settings: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to communicate with native daemon to interface setcfg - com.android.server.NativeDaemonConnectorException: Cmd {interface setcfg eth0 0.0.0.0 0 [down]} failed with code 400 : {Failed to set address (No such device)}
    W/PackageParser(  203): Unknown element under : supports-screen at /mnt/asec/com.android.aldiko-1/pkg.apk Binary XML file line #16
    D/wpa_supplicant(  930): wpa_supplicant v0.8.x
    D/wpa_supplicant(  930): random: Trying to read entropy from /dev/random
    D/wpa_supplicant(  930): Initializing interface 'eth0' conf '/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf' driver 'wext' ctrl_interface 'N/A' bridge 'N/A'
    D/wpa_supplicant(  930): Configuration file '/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf' -> '/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf'
    D/wpa_supplicant(  930): Reading configuration file '/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf'
    D/wpa_supplicant(  930): ctrl_interface='eth0'
    D/wpa_supplicant(  930): update_config=1
    D/wpa_supplicant(  930): Line: 4 - start of a new network block
    D/wpa_supplicant(  930): key_mgmt: 0x4
    (mind you, that's 29 lines out of 1300ish, just for example)

I then could do the following with logcat:
    Code:
    adb logcat WifiStateMachine:E *:S -v long > name of problem.txt

and this will only print out any errors associated with WifiStateMachine, and anything which is fatal, which makes it about a million times easier to figure out what's going on!

In WifiStateMachine:E, the :E = to look for Errors, the full list of options is as follows:
    V — Verbose (lowest priority)
    D — Debug
    I — Info (default priority)
    W — Warning
    E — Error
    F — Fatal
    S — Silent (highest priority, on which nothing is ever printed)

You can replace the :E with any other letter from above to get more info.
    In order to filter out anything other than what you are looking for (in this case, WifiStateMachine) you must put a *:S after your last command (i.e. WifiStateMachine:E ThemeChoose:V ... ... AndroidRuntime:E *:S)

Sources: http://developer.android.com/tools/help/logcat.html
    http://developer.android.com/tools/help/adb.html

Update for windows users:
    Thank go to FuzzyMeep Two, Here's what he's posted for windows

http://logcat-tool.googlecode.com/files/logcatHELPER.exe

(If you used his tool, here's his post, thank him for his work!)
    Helpful Tool

Here's how to use logcat.....

FIXED HUGE ISSUE CAUSING EMPTY FILES
    DOWNLOAD

PM or post here if you run into any issues. They WILL be addressed.

I have made a tool to simplify Logcat creation for people. The creation of this tool was inspired, and guided, by the thread started HERE by paxChristos.

UPDATE 4.1
    Corrected an issue causing empty files.

apparently, if the process id contained a space ( 1234) the file would parse correctly, but if the numbers came up to the parenthesis (12345) it would output an empty file named ACTIVITY(12345) with no extension.

This was a huge issue, and i apologize for not seeing it sooner. It has been corrected, and the logcat tool works better than ever. I just ran through a 20,000 line logcat without any empty files appearing.

a couple more things to help with stability.
    Underscores (_) will be replaced by dashes (-)
    Brackets ([]) and arrows (<>) will be replaced with paranthesis(())

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HUGE UPDATE

Added the ability to "SUPER PARSE" Files, which separates files into folders by log level and creates a TXT file for each activity
    Super parse DOES NOT Work with LONG format Logs.
    SUPER PARSE is in its infancy I do expect errors, please let me know if you run into anything.
    OLD STUFF

EDIT V3.6 DONE
    Added ability to filter logcats by activity name. (logcat -s "FILTER")
    Fixed Log Level Setting

EDIT V3.5 DONE

NOW PROPERLY PARSES "LONG" FORMAT LOGCATS.
    Thank you to Senior Member jes0411 for pointing out the issues that lead me to create V3.4 and 3.5. If any of you have an issue please let me know. It could be hours before i get to it or weeks, but i will get to fixing it.

EDIT V3.4 DONE

Changed the way the date variable was handled to hopefully fix issues experienced by users of non-English versions of windows.

EDIT V3.3 DONE

EDIT V 3.2 Finished
    Google code won't allow any new uploads, so i uploaded the new update to XDA in a ZIP file.

Fixed ADB Location settings, some users were having trouble if they input the ADB folder with any quotation marks in the path name, it will now automatically remove quotation marks to ensure correct syntax.
    Fixed issue with ADB Location setting not exiting to previous menu.
    Fixed issue with Log Level setting not exiting to previous menu.
    Capitalized some stuff
    Added a feature that will automatically create the selected folder if no output folder exists and the user attempts to run a log.
    Added a check when selecting an output folder that will ask if you want the folder created if it does not exist

EDIT V3.1 DONE
    FIXED OPTIONS 7 & 8, URLS WERE MISSING A "?"
    CHANGELOG EDITS
    SAVES AND PARSES FILES IN TO DIFFERENT OUPUT FILES BASED ON LOG LEVEL (E , I , D , W , ETC)

LOGCAT TOOL v1.1 by FuzzyMeep TWO

reposted HERE

Edit: source here.
    Batch Source

EDIT: UPDATED TO V1.1
    added the framework to add filtering to your logcat, it is in the exe, but not utilized yet (still bugy). i have also worked out a few minor bugs in this release.

Open your terminal app;

MD

Thank you in advance

Use adb instead of an in-android method to capture the logs, you can start when the boot animation starts (note: Not when the kernel splash screen appears) and when it reboots, it'll automatically end. (i.e. run the following in command prompt:
    Code:
     adb logcat *:E > oh_nos_it_crashed.txt
    )

If you're not getting to the boot animation (keeps cycling on the Kernel splash screen) then you have kernel issues, and you need a kernel that has integrated last_kmsg (a whole different ball of wax that I'm still learning about) to figure out what's going on. (kmesg's are direct kernel output)

Maybe if someone like AdamOutler ;) ;) (or any other Dev who has a much better handle on them than myself) were to explain them, it'd help :D

Pax
    Very nicely done, now i have something i can refer people to :)