[PROJECT] WebGL for Xperia™ phones - open source project by Sony Ericsson

Search This thread

KalleD

May 6, 2011
Hi all devs,
In November, we, Sony Ericsson, announced that we were the first phone manufacturer in the world to support WebGL through the native Android browser of Xperia™ phones. As a next step, we are now releasing our WebGL implementation for our coming Xperia™ phones running Android™ 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) and above as open source.
https://github.com/sonyericssondev/WebGL
Feel free to ask questions, discuss and make suggestion, Sony Ericsson web-browsing experts will monitor this thread and try to answer as soon as possible.

Here you have the full blog-post at Developer World.

/Karl-Johan Dahlström
Sony Ericsson Developer Program

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePCGuy

blunden

Jun 11, 2009
Makes me wonder if such things might be possible to implement into other devices.
Considering that Sony Ericsson seems to take the "for the greater good of the platform" approach to Android development in many cases I doubt that would be a problem. Just look at how much they contribute to AOSP that also greatly benefits their competitors.

Looking at this commit that seems to include a lot of the additions, it seems like a pretty general implementation.

SoftOrchestra

Jan 27, 2012
San Jose, CA
Is anyone outside of Sony able to get this WebGL implementation working?

I am using an omap reference, with 4.0.3 mr1 with TI drives and codecs, and I'm able to get the AFS compiled with Sony's WebGL implementation (yes, I saw there was an update on 1/31/2012 which added in a LOT of changes).

The browser works fine, but the browser crashes as it tries to load any WebGL example.

I've been trying to examples on the khronos site.

Was curious if anyone else was able to get it working ???

CrazyPeter

Sep 1, 2010
Laughable.

Sony does this, it gets ignored by the Sony hating internet, yet all these same sites were falling over themselves to report anything bad they could dig up about them... I'm guessing Microsoft were paying the wages of all the tech websites and had effective editorial control.

SoftOrchestra

Jan 27, 2012
San Jose, CA
Laughable.

Sony does this, it gets ignored by the Sony hating internet, yet all these same sites were falling over themselves to report anything bad they could dig up about them... I'm guessing Microsoft were paying the wages of all the tech websites and had effective editorial control.
CrazyPeter,

I'm not following you completely here. I wasn't aware the internet hated Sony, but know their DRM policies have never sat well with some OSS supporters.

I am not sure how that would relate to these additions to webkit which Sony open sourced. IMO that is a good thing and Sony should be applauded for such an effort. My biggest worry is that we'll see multiple WebGL implementations, possibly one from Google themselves. It is not clear to me just exactly what Google announced last week in regards to Chrome, I need to read up on that again...if Google puts Chrome back into the webkit repo, it would make sense that it would need some type of WebGL implementation.

At the same time it would seem that nvidia/khronos would have an implementation of WebGL themselves, with the popularity of the Tegra devices growing every day.

AFAICT you need a device wtih a GPU to run the WebGL sources Sony published, it won't run in the emulator. I don't get an error in the browser when I open a WebGL page, so it thinks the browser supports it, AFAICT.

CrazyPeter

Sep 1, 2010
CrazyPeter,

I'm not following you completely here. I wasn't aware the internet hated Sony, but know their DRM policies have never sat well with some OSS supporters.

This is really it, you have latched onto a handful of cherrypicked stories about how Sony loves proprietary formats etc, everyone will bring up ATRAC and the same old regurgitated crap about that SonyBMG CD copy protection stuff from like a decade ago.

The point is, there are hundreds of companies, bigger and worse than Sony on this. Microsoft and Apple get a free pass, nobody dare mention their DRM schemes and crimes against consumers..... I wonder why...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

xc0ffee

Mar 6, 2012
Implementation details

Hi,

I really appreciate your work of WebGL support in Android browser, thanks for open-sourcing it as well.

I am an WebKit browser enthusiast and I have following question about WebGL implementation.
a). You seem to be using Angle project for compiling shader etc. If I am correct, Angle need to be used only when the platform doesn't support OpenGL ES2.0, in which case Angle will convert the GL calls to driver specific calls. However, android supports OpenGL ES2.0, hence, is it required to use Angle?
b). Current implementation seem to share the textures created in render thread with UI thread using EGLImageKHR (Completely hardware accelerated path). But it also has the mechanism to render via CPU using paintRenderingResultsToCanvas method. Assuming that the default way of rendering in hardware accelerated, is CPU based method to render in necessary?

Thanks,

Guru Zeb

Jan 17, 2012
Up North !!!!!!!!!
This is really it, you have latched onto a handful of cherrypicked stories about how Sony loves proprietary formats etc, everyone will bring up ATRAC and the same old regurgitated crap about that SonyBMG CD copy protection stuff from like a decade ago.

The point is, there are hundreds of companies, bigger and worse than Sony on this. Microsoft and Apple get a free pass, nobody dare mention their DRM schemes and crimes against consumers..... I wonder why...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

REALLY ?!?!?!?! :rolleyes:
No offence m8 but the way your spinning it Sony are the planets hardware saviours and any criticism of them deserves an international war crimes trial.
Now am far from a Sony hater i spent hundreds of pounds (back when hundreds was BIG money) buying there portable tape players and minidisc's back in the 80-90's. i still own and worship my Sony MDR A34's as the best ever compact folding headphones, have 2 spare pairs even though Sony pulled the plug on them in early 2000's.
So am no Sony hater ........ but i struggle to recognise this picture you paint of a dedicated tech company faithfully serving its consumer bases.

There are GOOD reasons why many don't hold Sony in high regard.
They have always tended towards proprietary formats .......... thats just a fact. Often in the face of a well established standard.
For one reason to gouge costumers!!!
And they are still doing it.
They single handedly responsible for the 3rd party fake PS3 pad market as they GOUGE such a HUGE premium price out of loyal Gheystation (sorry couldn't help that one) owners for pads that it is economical to manufacture crap fakes and sell them as genuine.
They drop great product lines that still sell with HUGE consumer bases, in order to try and push consumers into new lines (often of questionable abilities in comparison to what they replaced)

Just don't get me started on some of Sony's failings, they are far from the injured party.

SoftOrchestra

Jan 27, 2012
San Jose, CA
This is not really it, IMO, as the game has been evolving from proprietary formats to more open formats over the past 10 years, 20 years, and even 30 years.
There are various reasons, but it's not as if anyone is targeting any specific company. Companies involved in practice that customers don't align to will end up taking the heat. This is not to say that Sony hasn't brought goodness to the world we live in, if it hadn't been for Sony there wouldn't have been VHS decks, let alone BETA decks. This is one reason why Sony gets scrutiny, they have been involved in an area that is dear to copyright protection. Before video decks, how could people record ? Music as well, Sony has provided and sold devices to copy/record/playback music.

I just point this out as Sony is no worse than you or me, they merely find a way to sell products that record/playback to consumers, just as Apple does. It's the RIAA, BMI, ASCAP, the motion picture industry, etc...that need to be reformed. Ok, Sony is a part of that also...but they weren't always...:-/
There are GOOD reasons why many don't hold Sony in high regard. They have always tended towards proprietary formats .......... thats just a fact. Often in the face of a well established standard.
They have no choice. They sell products to consumers who can then record/playback various types of media. You can't get away from that easily.

That said, I never intended to defend or belittle Sony, although I admit to being a huge supporter of Sony as a company and technology in general over the years.

I am also happy to say that I have gotten the Sony WebGL code working on the TI omap device. I will be in touch with Anders or other folks working on the WebGL tree, to get my patch into the WebGL tree, so that others don't need to bang their head against the wall...

Without Sony's release of this WebGL based implementation, it would have required much more work. In my case I'm using a device with the SGX 540 display from Imagination Technology, and the driver tosses chunks with the display context that is created, when it tries to set the context current. This made this a very difficult problem to solve. I just figured this out recently so need to do more testing next week before I get back to Sony.

Domo Arigato Gozaimashita, Sony!

Last edited:

andersdev

Apr 12, 2012
a). You seem to be using Angle project for compiling shader etc. If I am correct, Angle need to be used only when the platform doesn't support OpenGL ES2.0, in which case Angle will convert the GL calls to driver specific calls. However, android supports OpenGL ES2.0, hence, is it required to use Angle?

Angle is not used for compiling the shaders, only to validate them. Currently, no OpenGL ES2.0 shader compiler is equipped to handle the special restrictions that WebGL place on shader contents, hence we need something like Angle that has support for WebGL. The same solution is used by most desktop browsers.

b). Current implementation seem to share the textures created in render thread with UI thread using EGLImageKHR (Completely hardware accelerated path). But it also has the mechanism to render via CPU using paintRenderingResultsToCanvas method. Assuming that the default way of rendering in hardware accelerated, is CPU based method to render in necessary?

The function paintRenderingResultsToCanvas is not used on a per-frame basis. It is only invoked in special circumstances, like when the user's script requests to have the frambebuffer contents painted to a 2D canvas.

/Anders

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all devs,
    In November, we, Sony Ericsson, announced that we were the first phone manufacturer in the world to support WebGL through the native Android browser of Xperia™ phones. As a next step, we are now releasing our WebGL implementation for our coming Xperia™ phones running Android™ 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) and above as open source.
    https://github.com/sonyericssondev/WebGL
    Feel free to ask questions, discuss and make suggestion, Sony Ericsson web-browsing experts will monitor this thread and try to answer as soon as possible.

Here you have the full blog-post at Developer World.

/Karl-Johan Dahlström
    Sony Ericsson Developer Program