[Tutorial] Root Your EVO3D with Automated Scripts

Search This thread

hardeep

Oct 2, 2007
Kajang
www.MemorableStudios.com
Simple to use. Useful for those who want ROOT access via ADB or Device for Backup, etc. It is a modified scripts from Doomlord and some1 in the CDMA threads...

Prerequisites
1) Uninstall all HTC Sync & Drivers
2) Download and install http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe
3) Make sure your device Display is set to NEVER TURN OFF & not locked in the lockscreen

Instructions
1. Download attachment
2. Extract to C:\
3. Execute file Step 1
4. Execute file Step 2. If doesnt work, go to C:\files and execute Step 2
5. Remount SD card again from the DEVICE SETTINGS page

This will work for all devices not limited to EVO 3D.

For locked bootloaders (any versions), this will result in a temporary ROOT access, and will be lost after reboot.

Please feedback for whichever H-Boot this works on.

Thanks to our following comrades...

Team Revolutionary with their ZergRush exploit
http://xdaforums.com/show...1296916&page=2

DoomLord with the automated script
http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1321582

For the third guy I cant remember where.. maybe the CDMA section with the permatemproot stuff..

With this script, Titanium Backup and Root Explorer will definitely work even on LOCKED bootloaders (will lose root after reboot, just rerun the script)

For problems especially with SUPERUSER FCs, please download and run the .bat file in the UNROOT.zip. This will clean the system of all old temp root stuffs like superusers, etc...

Appreciate your thanks..

Attachments

• RootEVO3D.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 7,126
  • Unroot.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 4,566
Last edited:

tomanlam

Oct 18, 2008
Hong Kong
i dun understand why but it didn't work as did ur last tool, it always saids adb server out-of-date, re running or sth, it does the same in every step, and when it comes to moving files/manipulating permissions, i just get loads of errors

I'm on HBOOT 1.49.0012

P.S. i cant unlock using HTC Unlock method too no matter how many times i try (i read the instructions carefully and followed them closely) but still got unlock token check failed error......

hardeep

Oct 2, 2007
Kajang
www.MemorableStudios.com
i dun understand why but it didn't work as did ur last tool, it always saids adb server out-of-date, re running or sth, it does the same in every step, and when it comes to moving files/manipulating permissions, i just get loads of errors

I'm on HBOOT 1.49.0012

P.S. i cant unlock using HTC Unlock method too no matter how many times i try (i read the instructions carefully and followed them closely) but still got unlock token check failed error......

Reboot your device and try again... see edited post above..

Not sure about HTC Unlock method...

For UNLOCKED evos, it will give permanent ROOT access
For LOCKED evos, it will give temporary ROOT access

If you have problem unlocking, try grabbing a RUU file here and reflash your ROM... maybe factory reset wont hurt either...

looknsee

Feb 13, 2009
it has run thru all the process with success, but when i try to open root explorer it show superuser force close???

ObsoleteSoldier

Jan 3, 2010
Yup, not working here either.

It says it installs everything ok, but when I go to update the su binary, it force closes out. When I use TI backup, it says I don't have root access.

Hope this helps so that we can at least get temp root. I just want to remove the bloatware!

Thanks for the hard work in any event!

shingers5

Inactive Recognized Contributor
tried this on sensation xl and it worked, root access to some apps like root explorer but terminal says access denied. it seems to unmount the internal sd card which programs need to run and only a reboot remounts sdcard but obviously root is gone after reboot. hope one of the XL devs can use this to create a working solution for our XL

hardeep

Oct 2, 2007
Kajang
www.MemorableStudios.com
Yup, not working here either.

It says it installs everything ok, but when I go to update the su binary, it force closes out. When I use TI backup, it says I don't have root access.

Hope this helps so that we can at least get temp root. I just want to remove the bloatware!

Thanks for the hard work in any event!

dont need to update the SU binary.. just run the scripts and they are good to go...

however, SYSTEM/APP are in locked partition of the bootloader.. you may need to unlock your bootloader first.. but you may remove some in the Data/app llike gmail and stuffs (i prefer Exchange email than using Gmail app)

hardeep

Oct 2, 2007
Kajang
www.MemorableStudios.com
tried this on sensation xl and it worked, root access to some apps like root explorer but terminal says access denied. it seems to unmount the internal sd card which programs need to run and only a reboot remounts sdcard but obviously root is gone after reboot. hope one of the XL devs can use this to create a working solution for our XL

If your bootloader is unlocked, then you may be able to reboot and still have root..

ktchana

Aug 17, 2008
Just tried on my HK Evo3D (HBoot 1.49.0012, completely stock, no HTC unlock) and it works. But it took me a few trials to get it working.

For those who have problems with the script (e.g., permission problems during the script) try:

(In the following steps, make sure ur evo3d is disconnected from ur pc when you reboot it. Just to make sure that it is clean.)

1) reboot your phone
2) run the unroot script
3) reboot once more
4) run the root script "Step 1.bat"
5) *** go into the "files" directory ***, and run the "Step 2.bat"
6) at this step you should see the superuser is installed (check the app drawer)
7) go to Settings to mount your sd card

I have managed to root it and run through a titanium backup successfully. Thanks for the great work!

Reactions: josephnero

ktchana

Aug 17, 2008
Though temp root is gained, system is still mounted as read-only

tried these, neither one worked:
1) adb remount

"remount failed: Read-only file system"

2) su; busybox mount -o remount,rw /system

No messages, no errors. But still system is in ro mode:

# busybox mount -o remount,rw /system
busybox mount -o remount,rw /system
# mount | grep system
mount | grep system
/dev/block/mmcblk0p22 on /system type ext4 (ro,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered)

3) su; fixit; busybox mount -o remount,rw /system

Same result.

Seems, after running "Step 1.bat", the /system is temporary mounted as "rw", (that's why the script could complete without warnings/errors). But after Step 2 finishes, /system is back to "ro" no matter what...

Any insights?

Just tried on my HK Evo3D (HBoot 1.49.0012, completely stock, no HTC unlock) and it works. But it took me a few trials to get it working.

For those who have problems with the script (e.g., permission problems during the script) try:

(In the following steps, make sure ur evo3d is disconnected from ur pc when you reboot it. Just to make sure that it is clean.)

1) reboot your phone
2) run the unroot script
3) reboot once more
6) at this step you should see the superuser is installed (check the app drawer)

I have managed to root it and run through a titanium backup successfully. Thanks for the great work!

hardeep

Oct 2, 2007
Kajang
www.MemorableStudios.com
Though temp root is gained, system is still mounted as read-only

tried these, neither one worked:
1) adb remount

"remount failed: Read-only file system"

2) su; busybox mount -o remount,rw /system

No messages, no errors. But still system is in ro mode:

# busybox mount -o remount,rw /system
busybox mount -o remount,rw /system
# mount | grep system
mount | grep system
/dev/block/mmcblk0p22 on /system type ext4 (ro,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered)

3) su; fixit; busybox mount -o remount,rw /system

Same result.

Seems, after running "Step 1.bat", the /system is temporary mounted as "rw", (that's why the script could complete without warnings/errors). But after Step 2 finishes, /system is back to "ro" no matter what...

Any insights?

1) Reboot phone
2) Connect in DEBUG MODE
3) Run Step 1 script
4) Run Unroot script
5) Reboot phone
6) Connect in DEBUG MODE
7) Run Step 1
8) Run Step 2

You may have previously attempted some other methods, therefore you need to clean the system first...

If your bootloader is LOCKED, you still can gain TEMPORARY ROOT access and run you Titanium Backup (restore settings, data apps).. however, the SYSTEM partition is still locked, which means, whatever changes you done to the SYSTEM partition (like restoring some SYSTEM apps) will be lost after reboot.

-Ho-

Jul 12, 2007
I got forceclose with the superuser.
I dont know why, but i guess the root process was finished

chw9999

Dec 29, 2006
Bensheim
Got temp root and su support with untampered stock (vodafone branding), unlocked bootloader HBoot 1.49.0018 on HTC EVO 3D GSM shooteru :)

System continues to be (expectedly) in ro mode.

Lost access to SD card, had to reboot to use it again...

Permanently disabled without any problems some apps that were bugging me - Thanks :)
Christoph

Last edited:

ktchana

Aug 17, 2008
1) Reboot phone
2) Connect in DEBUG MODE
3) Run Step 1 script
4) Run Unroot script
5) Reboot phone
6) Connect in DEBUG MODE
7) Run Step 1
8) Run Step 2

You may have previously attempted some other methods, therefore you need to clean the system first...

If your bootloader is LOCKED, you still can gain TEMPORARY ROOT access and run you Titanium Backup (restore settings, data apps).. however, the SYSTEM partition is still locked, which means, whatever changes you done to the SYSTEM partition (like restoring some SYSTEM apps) will be lost after reboot.

Thanks for your inputs. But my phone was completely stock and I have never tried other root methods before trying this one.

I observed that, /system actually get rw for a short time after the mount -o remount,rw command in step 1. But somehow it will get back to ro by itself. The time is unpredictable in a sense that sometimes step 1 script cannot finish successfully (cannot copy busybox, su to /system because it changes back to ro so quickly).

I know that the SYSTEM rw is just an overlay and all changes will be gone once rebooted. I am asking this because I just wonder if I could playaround and test something like changing fonts without s-off or HTC unlock. :)

---------- Post added at 05:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 AM ----------

I got forceclose with the superuser.
I dont know why, but i guess the root process was finished

After temp root, go to market and install superuser again. Then run apps like titanium backup and it should work. At least in my case.

---------- Post added at 05:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 AM ----------

Got temp root and su support with untampered stock, unlocked bootloader HBoot 1.49.0018 on HTC EVO 3D GSM shooteru :)

System continues to be (expectedly) in ro mode.

Lost access to SD card, had to reboot to use it again...

Permanently disabled without any problems some apps that were bugging me - Thanks :)
Christoph

After temp root the SD card is unmounted, that's why you can't use it. Did you go to Settings to mount the SD card again?

-Ho-

Jul 12, 2007
Thanks for your inputs. But my phone was completely stock and I have never tried other root methods before trying this one.

I observed that, /system actually get rw for a short time after the mount -o remount,rw command in step 1. But somehow it will get back to ro by itself. The time is unpredictable in a sense that sometimes step 1 script cannot finish successfully (cannot copy busybox, su to /system because it changes back to ro so quickly).

I know that the SYSTEM rw is just an overlay and all changes will be gone once rebooted. I am asking this because I just wonder if I could playaround and test something like changing fonts without s-off or HTC unlock. :)

---------- Post added at 05:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 AM ----------

After temp root, go to market and install superuser again. Then run apps like titanium backup and it should work. At least in my case.

---------- Post added at 05:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 AM ----------

After temp root the SD card is unmounted, that's why you can't use it. Did you go to Settings to mount the SD card again?

Re-do it again only the first time got FC from superuser:)
After i got the FC, i cleared the data of superuser
Everything seems work

chw9999

Dec 29, 2006
Bensheim

Yep, it dawned on me and I found that option - now I can use Titan to backup everything :)

Is there a possibility to add automatic remounting the SD into the script using adb? I am not really familiar with this...

Thanks again
Christoph

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Simple to use. Useful for those who want ROOT access via ADB or Device for Backup, etc. It is a modified scripts from Doomlord and some1 in the CDMA threads...

Prerequisites
    1) Uninstall all HTC Sync & Drivers
    2) Download and install http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe
    3) Make sure your device Display is set to NEVER TURN OFF & not locked in the lockscreen

Instructions
    1. Download attachment
    2. Extract to C:\
    3. Execute file Step 1
    4. Execute file Step 2. If doesnt work, go to C:\files and execute Step 2
    5. Remount SD card again from the DEVICE SETTINGS page

This will work for all devices not limited to EVO 3D.

For locked bootloaders (any versions), this will result in a temporary ROOT access, and will be lost after reboot.

Please feedback for whichever H-Boot this works on.

Thanks to our following comrades...

Team Revolutionary with their ZergRush exploit
    http://xdaforums.com/show...1296916&page=2

DoomLord with the automated script
    http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1321582

For the third guy I cant remember where.. maybe the CDMA section with the permatemproot stuff..

With this script, Titanium Backup and Root Explorer will definitely work even on LOCKED bootloaders (will lose root after reboot, just rerun the script)

For problems especially with SUPERUSER FCs, please download and run the .bat file in the UNROOT.zip. This will clean the system of all old temp root stuffs like superusers, etc...

Appreciate your thanks..

1) reboot your phone
    2) run the unroot script
    3) reboot once more

Hi bro, its good to see a fellow Malaysian contributing to the dev section.

I was wondering, my set from DiGi is 1.49.0011, is it possible to root this without voiding the warranty permanently like htvdev? I'm a bit confused..

Have to wait the revolutionary team to hack the unlock bootloader method. With this temp root, you can backup n restore from titanium backup. Maybe remove some bloatware which are not in system partition.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m