[R0M][AOSP][D3V] Look Ma, it's Hik@Ri! (barebones version) [20120414]

Search This thread

adwinp

Jun 22, 2008
urandom
2: Installation:
>> Copy PD98IMG.zip to your SDCARD
>> Shutdown, hold volume down & press power until you reboot into hboot; flash by pressing volume up & reboot
>> Reboot from bootloader into recovery & format your DATA + CACHE (use 4ext recovery - FULL WIPE will also work if your partitions already were ext3/ext4)
3: Issues:
>> No network connection after first boot.
Fix: reboot. This is needed ONLY after the first boot.
4: Features:
>> What started as a HDPI port the Hero's Hik@Ri ROM (froyo) ended up in a full-fledged gingerbread build.
Optimisations: both kernel as well as userland; there is no need to get into the technical details & how this rom differs from others; I'm not a supporter of self-propaganda. See for yourself.
>> Hik@Ri is geared towards my private needs. It certainly isn't built to "satisfy the masses", although it should be able to serve as a stable and performant base for most of you. My personal philosophy is minimalism, performance and stability, which is why you should bear in mind that this is an AOSP/vanilla ROM (no Sense or other bloated UI). There is thus no need to upload screenshots.
>> You need to install all your favourite software. Since everyone has his own preferences, these would be treated as bloat by some people should they have been bundled with the release. Which is why I uploaded a skinny version.
>> A lot of effort has been put into power saving. The current release has (or should have) an idle battery usage of 2%/h with WiFi turned on.
5: End notes:
>> I would like this thread to remain clutter-free, which is why, although I appreciate motivation & thanks, please refrain from posting "thanks", "can't wait to try it" etc.
What I'm expecting? ONLY constructive criticism and dev-related discussion.
>> I will not be posting changelogs. Major releases are most of the time complete reworks, and a changelog would be pointless. Bug fix uploads are referenced in the post concerning the release, as well as a short note in post #1.

##################################
########## S E R I O U S W I P ############
Work in Progress:
- I'm working on what I call, InstaExec (IE).
The DHD is the perfect device to test it on (thanks to its 768 MB RAM).
Techie details:
Copy over /system | /data to a ramdisk (early in initrc), then do a switch_root and continue init script. The cons are a slower boot, of course. Syncing after-boot changes is on the todo list. Using IE will also imply that you're quite confident in RARE shutdowns. It would be a pain to wait for a couple hundred Mb's to get copied over each time you boot.
A crypted version is also in the works (although that would only make sense for /data/data, /data/misc and /data/system)
They key file HAS to be present in /mnt/sdcard, otherwise crypted mount will fail.

I have reported this project for the Evo 3D (or another at least dual core/1GB RAM device).
The DHD is not capable of handling the pre and post boot routines for phones requiring a reboot quite often.

Last edited:

adwinp

Jun 22, 2008
urandom
Okay guys, a test version is ready. Before I upload it, Lemme know a few things:

What apps you CAN'T live without (stock apps)
I want to get rid of bloat.
For example: why would you need 10 apps and widgets for Facebook and Twitter when you can replace that with TweetDeck?

That won't be a problem with the AOSP version I'm working on which will ultimately be Hik@Ri for DHD.

LecterMe

Nov 24, 2009
I say remove:

Amazon MP3
Blocked callers
Desk clock
Facebook
Friend Stream
News
News & weather
Peep
Quickoffice
SoundHound
Stocks
Teeter
Twitter

gillepy

May 15, 2009
I could probably live without most of the stuff on there, would love to keep the big clock weather thing though. This is my first android phone so looking forward to playing/learning with it.

I've rooted my phone as per Evostances instructions, will i need to do anything else before I can flash a rom?

ffff

Sep 7, 2007
Nuke 'em:

Amazon MP3
Car Panel
Facebook
Friend Stream
HTC Likes
Locations
Peep
Quick Lookup
Reader
Search Anywhere
Search People
SoundHound
Stocks
Teeter
Twitter

Last edited:

adwinp

Jun 22, 2008
urandom
Post #1 updated with link:
Lemme know if you can extract the archive without errors; my inet connection is somewhat flaky atm, and I don't know if it was uploaded correctly to RS.

funkatiko

Sep 6, 2009
I´ve got aproblem triying to flash the system.img....it says FAILED ( remote: data length is too large)

funkatiko

Sep 6, 2009
You're doing that through fastboot on your PC, right?
Copy the zip file to your SDcard and reboot into bootloader (and press power once there)

Yes, i was triying through fastboot, but then i tried from the bootloader with the zip, and everything went allright. Now ur rom is working perfectly! Thnx a lot! I really don´t like sense, and before i had a nexus one and i loved it´s interface, so this is the closest to it.

Btw, could u build a rom completely empty? I mean, with no so many apps, just the basic ones like Gapps and that´s it? I´m the one who likes to have just a few apps.....

Thanx!!!:)

gbuisson

Jul 5, 2010
awful

this rom is awfull, why the hell did you add other useless apps in place of the htc ones? that 8pen app is crashing constantly, i can't bring up the keyboard so can't enter my credentials for market.

I'm highly disapointed, moreover i can't go back to the official htc rom, i need a windows PC to run their ****ty RRU...

funkatiko

Sep 6, 2009
this rom is awfull, why the hell did you add other useless apps in place of the htc ones? that 8pen app is crashing constantly, i can't bring up the keyboard so can't enter my credentials for market.

I'm highly disapointed, moreover i can't go back to the official htc rom, i need a windows PC to run their ****ty RRU...

What i did is uninstalled 8pen, download by pc and moved to the sdcard any keyboard (better keyboard, for example) and that´s it.

Appart from that and lots of useless apps, the rom is working perfectly for me.... keep in mind that it´s a test rom....give it time....

El_Nino9

Dec 2, 2009
London

kind of rude, aint your cup of tea just say that.
i don't see you doing anything to help?would like to see you try.

getting back to stock is easy from a non windows pc. its called fastboot. search for it and learn hot to flash system.img

if you're nice enough i'll load my rom up which is stock+su with amazon and soundhound removed. if you're nice :p

gbuisson

Jul 5, 2010
sorry

yeah i'm sorry, i was angry because it's late here and i need to sleep, well except the apps and the 8pen stuff the rom works quite nicely and is smooth, where do i get the system.img file ? i tried to extract the assets from the .exe to get the rom zip file but once i get it i cannot open it, says unauthorized or something like that...

adwinp

Jun 22, 2008
urandom
Hmm, I have had no issues so far, that is why I uploaded the files.
As for 8pen, just hold on menu in any input field and select input method -> Swype.
Or disable 8pen from Keyboard settings menu.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2: Installation:
    >> Copy PD98IMG.zip to your SDCARD
    >> Shutdown, hold volume down & press power until you reboot into hboot; flash by pressing volume up & reboot
    >> Reboot from bootloader into recovery & format your DATA + CACHE (use 4ext recovery - FULL WIPE will also work if your partitions already were ext3/ext4)
    3: Issues:
    >> No network connection after first boot.
    Fix: reboot. This is needed ONLY after the first boot.
    4: Features:
    >> What started as a HDPI port the Hero's Hik@Ri ROM (froyo) ended up in a full-fledged gingerbread build.
    Optimisations: both kernel as well as userland; there is no need to get into the technical details & how this rom differs from others; I'm not a supporter of self-propaganda. See for yourself.
    >> Hik@Ri is geared towards my private needs. It certainly isn't built to "satisfy the masses", although it should be able to serve as a stable and performant base for most of you. My personal philosophy is minimalism, performance and stability, which is why you should bear in mind that this is an AOSP/vanilla ROM (no Sense or other bloated UI). There is thus no need to upload screenshots.
    >> You need to install all your favourite software. Since everyone has his own preferences, these would be treated as bloat by some people should they have been bundled with the release. Which is why I uploaded a skinny version.
    >> A lot of effort has been put into power saving. The current release has (or should have) an idle battery usage of 2%/h with WiFi turned on.
    5: End notes:
    >> I would like this thread to remain clutter-free, which is why, although I appreciate motivation & thanks, please refrain from posting "thanks", "can't wait to try it" etc.
    What I'm expecting? ONLY constructive criticism and dev-related discussion.
    >> I will not be posting changelogs. Major releases are most of the time complete reworks, and a changelog would be pointless. Bug fix uploads are referenced in the post concerning the release, as well as a short note in post #1.

########## S E R I O U S W I P ############
    Work in Progress:
    - I'm working on what I call, InstaExec (IE).
    The DHD is the perfect device to test it on (thanks to its 768 MB RAM).
    Techie details:
    Copy over /system | /data to a ramdisk (early in initrc), then do a switch_root and continue init script. The cons are a slower boot, of course. Syncing after-boot changes is on the todo list. Using IE will also imply that you're quite confident in RARE shutdowns. It would be a pain to wait for a couple hundred Mb's to get copied over each time you boot.
    A crypted version is also in the works (although that would only make sense for /data/data, /data/misc and /data/system)
    They key file HAS to be present in /mnt/sdcard, otherwise crypted mount will fail.

I have reported this project for the Evo 3D (or another at least dual core/1GB RAM device).
    The DHD is not capable of handling the pre and post boot routines for phones requiring a reboot quite often.
    I have fixed the wifi issue;
    use this boot.img/kernel & let me know if it works for you.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?bbc3z6hi1t4spp2

I assume, that you know how to flash a boot.img; I will update the original PD98IMG.zip in a few.
    Updated post #1 with a kernel including fixes for BT.
    I've finally found some time to upload an aio version. Feel free to test.
    The kernel is an experimental one, with updated drivers as well as some hefty optimisation (mostly compiler level).
    Post #1 updated with both versions.