[APP] Tune Pop Version 1 Released!

Search This thread

rbtconsultants

Oct 6, 2010
promo_graphic.png

Do you use your Android phone with GPS Navigation while playing music in your car?

When a new song starts, ever wonder what that song is, or who the artist is?

Now you have to grab the phone and look at it and swipe the notification bar, just to see what the song is or who the artist is?.

Do you use your Android phone to read email, or browse the web while listening to music in the background?

You know it's a hassle to stop what you're doing to see what the name is of the song that just came on. It's all too much trouble, so you don't bother, and you just keep wondering.

Tune Pop is the answer! Tune Pop will pop up the Song Title and Artist name, as a toast popup. Now when a song starts or resumes you will be alerted with the title and artist of the song.

screencap1.jpg TunePop-QR-code.png

Tune Pop on Appbrain

Tune Pop has been tested with the following Android Media player apps:

. ANDROID native media player
. HTC media player
. TuneWiki - Tune Pop Shoutcast!)

(TuneWiki coming with the next Android market version of TuneWiki)

TunePop has also been tested with the following Android Media Players:

. LASTFM (Internet Radio!)
. MERIDIAN
. GROOVESHARK
. DOUBLETWIST (SDCard music)
. MIXZING
. WINAMP
. CUBED (3)
. POWERAMP
. PLAYER PRO

MAKE SURE YOU ENABLE SCROBBLING ON THESE MEDIA APPS TO ENABLE TUNEPOP!

To enable TunePop, you just need to enable Scrobbling in the player settings. You don't need a Last FM account, or Last FM Scrobble Droid apps installed or running, just enable scrobbling in the media player. Tune Pop should work with most media players that support scrobbling.

Want more features? UPGRADE to Tune Pop PRO! Just $.99! Tune Pop Free Version has a handy link to PRO, which disappears after you purchase PRO.

screencap4.jpg

Tune Pop PRO adds the following features:

TICKER - the song title and artist appear in the Notification Bar as a ticker instead of or in addition to the popup

SCREEN POSITION - Change the position of the popup from the center of the screen to the top or bottom

FONT SIZE - Change the size of the popup window and font

DISPLAY FREQUENCY - Have the POP or TICKER appear periodically, in increments of 15 seconds, in case you miss the POP at the beginning of the song

POP SHAPE - change from a rectangle to an oval if you're feeling whimsical

Just purchase and download Tune Pop Pro and it will automatically enable all advanced Tune Pop features.

Do you use a media player that Tune Pop doesn't support? We can try and make it work if it has an API, broadcast intents or supports scrobbling. Just let us know.

Here's Google NAV in landscape, with the POP Positioned at the bottom of the screen:

screencap2.jpg

Here's the browser, with just the TICKER POP in the notification bar:

screencap6.jpg

PURCHASING TUNE POP PRO ENABLES ALL ADVANCED FEATURES IN THE FREE VERSION OF TUNE POP AND REQUIRES THAT THE FREE VERSION OF TUNE POP BE INSTALLED ALSO!

A lot of work went into making TunePop very small and well behaved in terms of performance and battery usage. It has a VERY small memory footprint.

Tune Pop uses SCROBBLE and other Media Player intent broadcasts to initiate POP services, and uses POST_DELAYED intents to enable periodic POPS so nothing is constantly running in the background, and everything shuts down when no music is playing.

Some future enhancements we are planning:

. allowing suppression of the Tune Pop logo in the POP
. including album name in POP
. adding album art in place of the logo
. allow change of font and background colors
. ?

Feedback on additional enhancements is very welcome.

Tune Pop was developed by Happy Vampire Software. We are a father and son startup doing development in Android and WP7.

We have more apps in the pipeline. Tune Pop is our first published effort, but it was built with an architecture and app patterns that we will be using as the foundation for our other development efforts.

Please download the free app and if you like it and would like the additional features, please download Tune Pop Pro.

Please provide feedback and help us make Tune Pop better, more useful, and a successful app.

We can be reached at support@happyvampire.net

Our web site is http://www.happyvampire.net

1/06/2010:

Now added the pro version of Tune Pop:

TASKER SUPPORT - use TASKER tasks to enable or disable Tune Pop. This is especially useful if you want to only enable Tune Pop in certain situations, such as only when you are driving and your device is car docked.

Go to Happy Vampire Software Tune Pop Pagefor instructions on how to implement Tasker in conjunction with Tune Pop

Thanks,

Bob Thompson
Happy Vampire Software

Last edited:
Reactions: keefles and dns_hc

rbtconsultants

Oct 6, 2010
I should clarify, enabling scrobbling is NOT required for

. HTC media player
. TuneWiki - (Tune Pop Shoutcast!) - TuneWiki is coming with the next Android market version of TuneWiki

Enabling Scrobbling IS required for the following Android Media Players:

. MERIDIAN
. GROOVESHARK
. MIXZING
. WINAMP
. CUBED (3)

Thanks for the support,

Bob

Last edited:

rbtconsultants

Oct 6, 2010
Version 1.0.1 published -

Fixes a Force Close problem using Last FM caused by Proguard obfuscation when app was published to market.

Redneck Trash

Sep 28, 2010
Got a suggestion. When your screen is off and you press the power button to wake up your device you get a pop up on the lock screen. I think that would be awesome.

Sent from my DROID2 using XDA App

Reactions: mskks64

rbtconsultants

Oct 6, 2010
Thanks all for the feedback!

Redneck - We'll take a look at this. Good suggestion.

Emirhan87- We'll take a look at playerpro. Here's the deal with scrobbling. There are several different ways to scrobble on Android. If a media player does scrobble broadcasts in any one of several forms (ScrobbleDroid, Last FM, Simple-LastFM-Scrobble) then we intercept that broadcast and use it.

However, there is a way to use HTTP directly to scrobble, and some players use that. TuneWiki is an example. So, I was unable to use scrobbling to work with TuneWiki. We worked directly with TuneWiki to use an API they are coming out with in their new version, so when TuneWiki releases their new version TuneWiki will be supported.

Creator - here's my issue with Pandora. They don't scrobble. They have no documented API or broadcast intents. And, unlike LastFM or TuneWiki, they don't respond to my requests for support for integration.

So, bottom line, I suggest using LastFM instead of Pandora. After using both, I think LastFM is better anyway.

Again, thanks all for the feedback.

Bob

cocchiararo

Sep 11, 2007
Escobar
buuu buuu buuu

any way we can help you make this compatible with the samsung music player ?

if not, ill go back to winamp, but i kinda liked the lockscreen and notification drawer controls too XD

i guess there will be no hope, since it has no scrobble options (why the heck mod or use the stock player as base, and remove stuff, i will never understand... damm samsung)

ps: i bought the pro version xD

Last edited:

cros13

Sep 20, 2008
Any chance of compatibility with Spotify?

I remove Music.apk from my ROMs these days as Spotify is all I need.

Just tried it and even with Last.fm scrobble enabled it dosn't work.

rbtconsultants

Oct 6, 2010
buuu buuu buuu

any way we can help you make this compatible with the samsung music player ?

if not, ill go back to winamp, but i kinda liked the lockscreen and notification drawer controls too XD

i guess there will be no hope, since it has no scrobble options (why the heck mod or use the stock player as base, and remove stuff, i will never understand... damm samsung)

ps: i bought the pro version xD

Thanks for the support and feedback!

Yeah, I feel your pain. I have a Captivate and we have tried pretty hard to make it work with the Samsung music player.

Unfortunately, as you point out it doesn't support Scrobbling and I was unable to find any broadcast intents, and Samsung hasn't documented any and the source isn't available.

If anyone knows a way to "discover" intents that an app broadcasts on Android that would be VERY helpful, since I assume that they must broadcast intents to the notification bar app, but I haven't found a way to do this yet.

We'll keep working on it.

I personally use Meridian and Winamp for SDCard music and I like Last FM for internet radio, but like you say they all have their pros and cons.

Bob

dboss007

Apr 6, 2010
Nice App!! FYI...It also works with PowerAmp when you enable Scrobbling. Looks like you can add that to the list. ;)

rbtconsultants

Oct 6, 2010
Any chance of compatibility with Spotify?

I remove Music.apk from my ROMs these days as Spotify is all I need.

Just tried it and even with Last.fm scrobble enabled it dosn't work.

We are looking into how to support Spotify, and we'd like to work with Spotify. Unfortunately, we are based in the US and can't test with Spotify, due to their restrictions on location.

Can you tell me, does Spotify scrobble without any other app installed or does it require an additional app to enable scrobbling (i.e. ScrobbleDroid, a-simple-lastfm-scrobbler, or LastFM app)?

If we can figure out anything, we'll happily work with you to see what we can do here. Please stay "Tuned" :)

Bob

rbtconsultants

Oct 6, 2010
FYI - a user has discovered an issue.

After investigation, it appears that for Tune Pop to work with WinAmp, it is required to have the free LastFM app installed on your phone. No other app appears to require this, and unfortunately we didn't discover this when testing.

We will update the documentation to reflect this.

If you want to use WinAMP with Tune Pop and don't have LastFM already installed, please download the free LastFM app to your phone. It is not necessary to run LastFM or have a lastFM account, but it appears that WinAMP checks to see if the app is installed. Of course, if you want your music to be scrobbled to LastFM, you can create an account on LastFM, but this is not necessary for Tune Pop.

Please let me know if any questions or issues.

Thanks

Bob

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    promo_graphic.png

Do you use your Android phone with GPS Navigation while playing music in your car?

When a new song starts, ever wonder what that song is, or who the artist is?

Now you have to grab the phone and look at it and swipe the notification bar, just to see what the song is or who the artist is?.

Do you use your Android phone to read email, or browse the web while listening to music in the background?

You know it's a hassle to stop what you're doing to see what the name is of the song that just came on. It's all too much trouble, so you don't bother, and you just keep wondering.

Tune Pop is the answer! Tune Pop will pop up the Song Title and Artist name, as a toast popup. Now when a song starts or resumes you will be alerted with the title and artist of the song.

screencap1.jpg TunePop-QR-code.png

Tune Pop on Appbrain

Tune Pop has been tested with the following Android Media player apps:

. HTC media player
    . TuneWiki - Tune Pop Shoutcast!)

(TuneWiki coming with the next Android market version of TuneWiki)

TunePop has also been tested with the following Android Media Players:

. MERIDIAN
    . GROOVESHARK
    . MIXZING
    . WINAMP
    . CUBED (3)
    . POWERAMP
    . PLAYER PRO

MAKE SURE YOU ENABLE SCROBBLING ON THESE MEDIA APPS TO ENABLE TUNEPOP!

To enable TunePop, you just need to enable Scrobbling in the player settings. You don't need a Last FM account, or Last FM Scrobble Droid apps installed or running, just enable scrobbling in the media player. Tune Pop should work with most media players that support scrobbling.

Want more features? UPGRADE to Tune Pop PRO! Just $.99! Tune Pop Free Version has a handy link to PRO, which disappears after you purchase PRO.

screencap4.jpg

Tune Pop PRO adds the following features:

TICKER - the song title and artist appear in the Notification Bar as a ticker instead of or in addition to the popup

SCREEN POSITION - Change the position of the popup from the center of the screen to the top or bottom

FONT SIZE - Change the size of the popup window and font

DISPLAY FREQUENCY - Have the POP or TICKER appear periodically, in increments of 15 seconds, in case you miss the POP at the beginning of the song

POP SHAPE - change from a rectangle to an oval if you're feeling whimsical

Just purchase and download Tune Pop Pro and it will automatically enable all advanced Tune Pop features.

Do you use a media player that Tune Pop doesn't support? We can try and make it work if it has an API, broadcast intents or supports scrobbling. Just let us know.

Here's Google NAV in landscape, with the POP Positioned at the bottom of the screen:

screencap2.jpg

Here's the browser, with just the TICKER POP in the notification bar:

screencap6.jpg

PURCHASING TUNE POP PRO ENABLES ALL ADVANCED FEATURES IN THE FREE VERSION OF TUNE POP AND REQUIRES THAT THE FREE VERSION OF TUNE POP BE INSTALLED ALSO!

A lot of work went into making TunePop very small and well behaved in terms of performance and battery usage. It has a VERY small memory footprint.

Tune Pop uses SCROBBLE and other Media Player intent broadcasts to initiate POP services, and uses POST_DELAYED intents to enable periodic POPS so nothing is constantly running in the background, and everything shuts down when no music is playing.

Some future enhancements we are planning:

. allowing suppression of the Tune Pop logo in the POP
    . including album name in POP
    . adding album art in place of the logo
    . allow change of font and background colors
    . ?

Feedback on additional enhancements is very welcome.

Tune Pop was developed by Happy Vampire Software. We are a father and son startup doing development in Android and WP7.

We have more apps in the pipeline. Tune Pop is our first published effort, but it was built with an architecture and app patterns that we will be using as the foundation for our other development efforts.

Please download the free app and if you like it and would like the additional features, please download Tune Pop Pro.

Please provide feedback and help us make Tune Pop better, more useful, and a successful app.

We can be reached at support@happyvampire.net

Our web site is http://www.happyvampire.net

1/06/2010:

Now added the pro version of Tune Pop:

TASKER SUPPORT - use TASKER tasks to enable or disable Tune Pop. This is especially useful if you want to only enable Tune Pop in certain situations, such as only when you are driving and your device is car docked.

Go to Happy Vampire Software Tune Pop Pagefor instructions on how to implement Tasker in conjunction with Tune Pop

Thanks,

Bob Thompson
    Happy Vampire Software
    Got a suggestion. When your screen is off and you press the power button to wake up your device you get a pop up on the lock screen. I think that would be awesome.

Sent from my DROID2 using XDA App
    Thanks for the support. Glad you are enjoying Tune Pop.

We are working on album art, I expect to have it done before the end of February.

Bob