[MOD]External SD as Primary/Internal

Search This thread

pajn

Aug 13, 2009
This is a simple mod to make the external SDcard mount as the primary/internal (/sdcard)
and the internal is mounted as the secondary (/sdcard-ext)

This should work on most (all?) roms but is only tested on MIUIv4 with a GSM RAZR

Just flash the switchSD.zip
To revert the effect, flash reswitchSD.zip

Requested by lukas77 external sd mounted in folder of internal (/sdcard/sdcard-ext)
Some problems though, after each boot you will have to remove and insert SD for it to mounts.
It is safe to remove SD because it isn't mounted but it's a bit of a hazzle.

Flash SDinFolder.zip to revert, just flash reswitchSD.zip as above.

make shore before flashing that you don't have any file or folder named sdcard-ext on internal sdcard.

EDIT:
I have been away for a while and came back to a thread full of pproblems and a bunch of PMs.
Unfortuneatly I don't have time to ivestigate the problems or fix for newer builds.
My recomendations for everyone is: Do Not Use It unless you'r realy know what your doing and can fix it for your build.

Attachments

• reswitchSD.zip
    132.4 KB · Views: 4,727
  • switchSD.zip
    132.4 KB · Views: 8,276
  • SDinFolder.zip
    132.5 KB · Views: 1,641
Last edited by a moderator:

pajn

Aug 13, 2009
what is the advantage of doing this?
Some apps doesn't support external SD (Very noticeable on MIUI as music can't find music on external and file explorer only browses internal).
Some people (me) prefer a storage that is easily movable.

If you always have a larger SD inserted you'll probably find yourself a bit limited with the original mounting options.

sletta

Aug 14, 2009
Some apps doesn't support external SD (Very noticeable on MIUI as music can't find music on external and file explorer only browses internal).
Some people (me) prefer a storage that is easily movable.

If you always have a larger SD inserted you'll probably find yourself a bit limited with the original mounting options.

Can this be done without damaging currently installed programs?
And what does this do? Symbolic links?

pajn

Aug 13, 2009
If you have programs (or games, mostly games) that is installed on your internal SD they will break. I guess games that download extra data to SD just will have to download it again though...

The good thing is that you can test and then just flash reswitchSD.zip if it didn't work.

This tells vold (the program responsible for mounting the storages) to mount external on /mnt/sdcard and internal on /mnt/sdcard-ext instead of the reverse.
No links.

Reactions: sletta

sletta

Aug 14, 2009
If you have programs (or games, mostly games) that is installed on your internal SD they will break. I guess games that download extra data to SD just will have to download it again though...

The good thing is that you can test and then just flash reswitchSD.zip if it didn't work.

This tells vold (the program responsible for mounting the storages) to mount external on /mnt/sdcard and internal on /mnt/sdcard-ext instead of the reverse.
No links.

Works great! Thanks!

qoncept

Feb 1, 2010
Will we need to reflash this after flashing any roms or are we all set until we undo it manually?

pajn

Aug 13, 2009
Will we need to reflash this after flashing any roms or are we all set until we undo it manually?
You will for a ROM that erases the whole system partition but won't for a patch. But it doesn't seem like there are that many ROMs that provides patches so you probably will.

pajn

Aug 13, 2009
can we mount external sdcard as folder inside /sdcard/? (phone memory)

Wysłane z mojego XT910 za pomocą Tapatalk
Great idea! However my testing found out that it wasn't the easiest thing to do as vold will try to mount the external SD before the internal is mounted and the folder present.

It works but after every boot you will have to remove SD (safe as it isn't mounted) and reinsert it. May work better on other ROMs (did some Googeling and found that CM7 on O2X did have problem while stock didn't whit exactly the same thing)

Adding to first post now!

Haloman800

Dec 16, 2010
Would it be possible to mount SD as an expansion of your internal? i.e., treating them as the same memory unity?

Reactions: pajn

pajn

Aug 13, 2009
Would it be possible to mount SD as an expansion of your internal? i.e., treating them as the same memory unity?
No, if so we would have to raid them but I have never heard of some raid utilities built for Android.

Even if it's theoretically possible to build the Linux utilities for ARM and run them on Android it would probably be loads of work and customization for each ROM as Android have very bad possibilities of running scripts at boot.

pajn

Aug 13, 2009
Hey would it be possible for you to edit this vold from a epic 4g touch so i can do this on my phone? Heres the link to my vold file if you can thanks... http://db.tt/2E1QAqVe
It's actually really simple.

Ofc. this isn't tested so if it doesn't work just let me know.

If you want to push it manually just extract the vold.fstab from the zip.

Attachments

• epic4g-signed.zip
    132 KB · Views: 63

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a simple mod to make the external SDcard mount as the primary/internal (/sdcard)
    and the internal is mounted as the secondary (/sdcard-ext)

This should work on most (all?) roms but is only tested on MIUIv4 with a GSM RAZR

Just flash the switchSD.zip
    To revert the effect, flash reswitchSD.zip

Requested by lukas77 external sd mounted in folder of internal (/sdcard/sdcard-ext)
    Some problems though, after each boot you will have to remove and insert SD for it to mounts.
    It is safe to remove SD because it isn't mounted but it's a bit of a hazzle.

Flash SDinFolder.zip to revert, just flash reswitchSD.zip as above.

make shore before flashing that you don't have any file or folder named sdcard-ext on internal sdcard.

EDIT:
    I have been away for a while and came back to a thread full of pproblems and a bunch of PMs.
    Unfortuneatly I don't have time to ivestigate the problems or fix for newer builds.
    My recomendations for everyone is: Do Not Use It unless you'r realy know what your doing and can fix it for your build.
    Hey would it be possible for you to edit this vold from a epic 4g touch so i can do this on my phone? Heres the link to my vold file if you can thanks... http://db.tt/2E1QAqVe
    It's actually really simple.

Ofc. this isn't tested so if it doesn't work just let me know.

If you want to push it manually just extract the vold.fstab from the zip.

No links.
    it this just a edited vold.fstab file? or is there more to it?
    Just vold.fstab. That is all that is needed :)
    Is anyone gonna take this up for ICS?

Sent from my DeathSCYTHE

That would be nice... :)