SyPressure - Barometer [Pics]

Search This thread

boodies

Mar 3, 2010
Well, I was bored so I downloaded a barometric pressure app called SyPressure

It's actually pretty dang neat. For pressure noobs like me here is a quick fyi.

High - Clear Skies
Rising - Clearing or improving
Normal and Stable - Fair
Falling - Degrading
Slightly Lower - Usually Cloudy
Low - Rainy and Stormy

As a general guideline, think of 30 inHg (1016 millibar) as being a normal level. World records vary from a high pressure of 32.0 inHg in Siberia to 25.7 inHg during a typhoon (both readings are off the scale of most barometers). For the US, extreme levels can be considered as 30.5 inHg and 28.5 inHg.

Barometric pressure varies with altitude. A higher elevation will have less atmosphere above it which exerts less pressure. To keep readings standard across the world, barometric pressure is to be indicated at sea level. Therefore, readings at elevations other than at sea level will require a correction factor which is based on the elevation and the air temperature (colder air weighs more and will require a greater correction).

V4OLBMCYdAExwTyrs9Uh4gIvAq0BYjGO5KzZPYVqX3XUnbKkAmKTX1Uov-DrEXpBqbI
fX_B0PmVrP51VIBkA1leqozhsQOBOsOe1qgllwU-cHpOCrENO-PTteR7p2p4eb9LZ4M
Ht0o08B-vy7KamtSJnWKx_zHU1zQTa19V8QqYw2fa3YkeWMlvB7YSVqupQmLqHKx7dA

Last edited:

NCX Designs

High - Clear Skies
Normal and Stable - Fair
Falling - Degrading
Low - Rainy and Stormy

Finally a neat way to actually use the Barometer inside our phones.

Is this more accurate than a weather forecast though since its getting readings around you?

What other uses can the Barometer bring? I had read that the reason they included it in our devices was to get a much better accuracy on location when using GPS.

bushako

Mar 16, 2007
Dubai
Im surprised it has taken this long for an app like this to make some proper use of the barometer given these sensors have been available on phones for more than a year now.

---------- Post added at 11:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

And also does the weather icon change aswell? can anyone confirm?

FerretAD

Aug 26, 2006
Lincolnshire
I used this a while back on the Galaxy Note, and it's a fantastic piece of software, but it did kill my battery very quickly, so had to remove it :(

K

kicker09

Surprised

My goodness I was very surprised at the accuracy of this app. Sent it up tied to a weather balloon(yeh, I was scared I would lose my device), and it accurately measured the pressure, so my surf report buddies and I included it in our weather/surf report, and true as nuts, the waves came as the pressure was dropping. Awesome app, will give all credits during next surf report to the developer. Hey bro, you got some super amped surfers all over Cape Town.

Magissia

May 9, 2012
Looks nice but the TF101 doesn't have this piece of hardware if i'm right.

Some people commented the app, stating it gives false informations, maybe you should forbit the download for incompatible devices.

Regards

sunglint

Feb 18, 2008
Houston
There's a few more barometer apps, I use one called Barometer Monitor, it lets you tell it how often you want to record the data, which helps with battery impact. There's another app that recently got some news called PressureNET which sends your data and location back to a server, and is being lauded as a way of distributed data gathering, similar to some research in using accelerometers in peoples cellphones to detect/predict earthquakes.
One interesting issue is that I work on the 23rd floor, so the pressure drops then rises again every few hours as I go back to ground level. It would be cool if you could tell an app that you are in this kind of an environment so it could "normalize" such sudden transitions.
BarometerMonitor.png

Attachments

• BarometerMonitor.png
    BarometerMonitor.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 204

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

High - Clear Skies
    Normal and Stable - Fair
    Falling - Degrading
    Low - Rainy and Stormy

As a general guideline, think of 30 inHg (1016 millibar) as being a normal level. World records vary from a high pressure of 32.0 inHg in Siberia to 25.7 inHg during a typhoon (both readings are off the scale of most barometers). For the US, extreme levels can be considered as 30.5 inHg and 28.5 inHg.

Barometric pressure varies with altitude. A higher elevation will have less atmosphere above it which exerts less pressure. To keep readings standard across the world, barometric pressure is to be indicated at sea level. Therefore, readings at elevations other than at sea level will require a correction factor which is based on the elevation and the air temperature (colder air weighs more and will require a greater correction).