[App][2.2+]Ringer V0.8 [02 Jul. 2016] - Smart ringer toggle

Search This thread

zevele

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 8, 2010
Ringer V0.8
attachment.php

My wife, changed her old Nokia for a Galaxy wonder and missed her "meeting" profile. So I wrote her this small app. I hope you'll find this app useful. It's been tested on my Galaxy Note 4. Any suggestions and remarks are most welcome.

Main Features:
  • When in silent or vibration mode, if the phone rings a single beep is played (like the "meeting" profile in the old Nokia phone)
  • Replace the default beep with a ringtone from the phone's ringtone list.
  • Control the ringtone volume.
  • Display different notification icons when in normal or silent modes.
  • Automatically set silent mode according to the calendar, with possibility to ignore all day/private/free/tentative events and selecting calendars.
  • Automatically set silent mode when facing up/down.
  • Automatically restore ringer after a timeout.
  • Play ringtone for selected notifications (both customizable).
  • Play a sound effect when the device is automatically set to silent mode (downloaded from freesfx).
  • Mute device a few minutes (configurable) before an event.
  • Flash the flash led for incoming call and notifications.
  • A widget to turn on/off the service and switch between normal and silent modes, including:
    • Simple toggle widget.
    • Analog clock widget that shows the next calendar events.
    • Timer widget that sets silent mode to a predetermined period of time.

Future features I may (or may not include):
  • Filter calendar events according to keyword.
  • Filter events according to contacts (Thanks Magissia).
  • Allow selecting different ringtones for notifications according to contact (thanks Variable.Unknown)
  • Profile buttons on the notification for easy profile change (not sure if this could be done for android < 3).

Known Issues:
  • None at the moment...

Downloads:
Ringer V0.8

Older versions can be found in the attachments of the following posts:

Ringer V0.8
Ringer V0.61
Ringer V0.55
Ringer V0.54
Ringer V0.4
Ringer V0.3
Ringer V0.2
Ringer V0.1

Video Review (v0.4):
Osas Obaiza from WonderHowTo have made a nice review of the app including the following youtube clip:

Acknowledgments:
  • Sound effects where taken from FreeSFX

Attachments

• Screen1.jpg
    Screen1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 6,449
  • Screen2.jpg
    Screen2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 6,353
  • Screen3.jpg
    Screen3.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 6,309
  • icon.png
    icon.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 10,382
Last edited:

zevele

Mar 8, 2010
Changelog

Changelog

Code:
[SIZE=4]Version 0.8[/SIZE]
[LIST]
[*] A lot!
[/LIST]
[SIZE=4]Version 0.61[/SIZE]
[LIST]
[*] In the widget configuration dialog, the timer-picker is now enabled only when "Timed silent widget" is selected.
[*] Changed timestamp in the message log to present real date/time string.
[*] Fixed wrong gravity sensor polling timeout - causing ringer to never change ringer mode when facing up/down.
[*] Fixed crash when ringtone was not found - it will now use a default one in this case, and present an error message.
[*] Fixed crash when restoring alarm and no next event is found.
[/LIST]
[SIZE=4]Version 0.6[/SIZE]
[LIST]
[*] Fixed bug where in some devices the widget configuration appeared before properly placing the widget - causing ringer to crash when pressing the "Okay" button. Due to this bug it was almost impossible to add a widget on these devices.
[*] Attempt to fix an issue where Ringer crashed while playing the ring-tone (this is an attempt because the problem is relatively rare and I'm unable to reproduce it on my device...).
[*] Fixed issue where on some devices the notification icons appeared too big.
[*] Instead of waking up the device every time to check the gravity sensor ("Poll gravity sensor when screen is off"), now keep the device awake all the time using a partial wake lock ("Keep device awake") - I've read somewhere that this might be more battery friendly.
[*] Updated SDK to v4.4.2.
[*] Added infrastructure for automatic version update.
[*] Some more minor bug fixes and code improvements.
[/LIST]
[SIZE=4]Version 0.55[/SIZE]
[LIST]
[*] Added a message log to be able to better trace issues.
[/LIST]
[SIZE=4]Version 0.54[/SIZE]
[LIST]
[*] Improved ClockWidget graphics a little bit.
[*] Increased ClockWidget base resolution, so it should rescale better now (for launchers that allow rescaling).
[*] Added build date to the about information and crash report.
[*] Fixed widget size - was 2x1 for some devices.
[*] Fixed issue where sometimes device went back to sleep before changing ringer mode.
[*] Fixed few crashes when playing ringtone.
[/LIST]

[SIZE=4]Version 0.4[/SIZE]
[LIST]
[*] Toggle widget now shows the next meeting.
[*] Allow to activate also in vibration mode.
[*] Show information about last toggle (why and when).
[*] Added exception handler, allow user to send crash report.
[*] Add beep for all notifications - each application can be set with a separate ringtone and volume (Ringer must be enabled as an accessibility service for this feature).
[*] Added timeout dialog feature when muting the device manually (an automatically restore ringer volume after selected timeout).
[*] Allow using alarm to wake up device to read the gravity sensor for the face up/down options (may lead to high battery drain).
[*] Allow to aggressively restart service (when the service is killed by the OS - may lead to high battery drain).
[*] Fix Nexus 4 crash when using automatic silent mode according to calendar.
[*] Additional bug fixes and improvements.
[/LIST]

[SIZE=4]Version 0.3[/SIZE]
[LIST]
[*] Select calendars to watch.
[*] Added simple silent mode (no ringing at all).
[*] Timer widgets to restore ringer after a set amount of time.
[*] Added analog clock widget that shows events from the selected calendars for the next 12 hours.
[*] Widgets properties can be modified from the settings window.
[*] Double-click widget to open the setting window.
[*] Present a list of the active threads/alarms used by the application (for debugging purposes).
[*] Various improvements and bug-fixes.
[/LIST]
[SIZE=4]Version 0.2[/SIZE]
[LIST]
[*] Automatically set silent mode according to the calendar (with possibility to ignore all day/private/free/tentative events).
[*] Automatically set silent mode when facing up/down. It seems that in order for this feature to work while the screen is off a partial wakelock must be taken - this might lead to higher battery drain (the wakelock can be disabled in the advanced settings section).
[*] Added sound effect when the device is automatically set to silent mode (downloaded from [URL="http://www.freesfx.co.uk/"]freesfx[/URL]).
[*] Changed the default beep sound (downloaded from [URL="http://www.freesfx.co.uk/"]freesfx[/URL]).
[*] Added a widget to turn on/off the service and switch between normal and silent modes.
[*] Changed the notification icons.
[*] Changed minimum android SDK to 2.2
[/LIST]
[SIZE=4]Version 0.1 [/SIZE]- initial release.

Attachments

• ringer.apk
    57.2 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

zevele

Mar 8, 2010
New version 0.2

I've added some features to the application - now version 0.2,
  • Automatically set silent mode according to the calendar (with possibility to ignore all day/private/free/tentative events).
  • Automatically set silent mode when facing up/down. It seems that in order for this feature to work while the screen is off a partial wakelock must be taken - this might lead to higher battery drain (the wakelock can be disabled in the advanced settings section).
  • Added sound effect when the device is automatically set to silent mode (downloaded from freesfx).
  • Changed the default beep sound (downloaded from freesfx).
  • Added a widget to turn on/off the service and switch between normal and silent modes.
  • Changed the notification icons.
  • Changed minimum android SDK to 2.2

Attachments

• ringer.apk
    210.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

zevele

Mar 8, 2010
Version 0.3

Some more features in version 0.3,

• Select calendars to watch.
  • Added simple silent mode (no ringing at all).
  • Timer widgets to restore ringer after a set amount of time.
  • Added analog clock widget that shows events from the selected calendars for the next 12 hours.
  • Widgets properties can be modified from the settings window.
  • Double-click widget to open the setting window.
  • Present a list of the active threads/alarms used by the application (for debugging purposes).
  • Various improvements and bug-fixes.

Attachments

• ringer.apk
    119.7 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

zevele

Mar 8, 2010
Lot's of updates - now version 0.4,

• Toggle widget now shows the next meeting.
  • Allow to activate also in vibration mode.
  • Show information about last toggle (why and when).
  • Added exception handler, allow user to send crash report.
  • Add beep for all notifications - each application can be set with a separate ringtone and volume (Ringer must be enabled as an accessibility service for this feature).
  • Added timeout dialog feature when muting the device manually (an automatically restore ringer volume after selected timeout).
  • Allow using alarm to wake up device to read the gravity sensor for the face up/down options (may lead to high battery drain).
  • Allow to aggressively restart service (when the service is killed by the OS - may lead to high battery drain).
  • Fix Nexus 4 crash when using automatic silent mode according to calendar.
  • Additional bug fixes and improvements.

Attachments

• ringer.apk
    287.7 KB · Views: 908

Metalsauce

Mar 23, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario
Hey zevele, thanks for making this app. I installed it yesterday before my shift at work - it read from my work-specific calendar and set vibrate mode on/off and the start/end of my shift, worked like a charm! I couldn't ask for a simpler profile switching system.

BTW I'm using it on my HTC One with ViperOne 3.0. Thanks again!

Reactions: zevele

Magissia

May 9, 2012
Good idea, i miss this from my Nokia too, i had a software that was used to put the phone in silent when given keyword was found on the calendar, meaning it would never ring when in a meeting if you're not in a said contacts group.

Thanks for your work, will definitively look how your app goes.

zevele

Mar 8, 2010
Good idea, i miss this from my Nokia too...

Thanks Magissia,

"white listing" contacts is a nice idea - I might put it in...
I also got a few crash reports which I fixed and now I want to check it a little bit - I'll probably release the new version next week.

Z.

zevele

Mar 8, 2010
Version 0.54

New version - mainly bug fixes,

• Improved ClockWidget graphics a little bit.
  • Increased ClockWidget base resolution, so it should rescale better now (for launchers that allow resizing the widget).
  • Added build date to the about information and crash report.
  • Fixed widget size - was 2x1 for some devices.
  • Fixed issue where sometimes device went back to sleep before changing ringer mode.
  • Fixed few crashes when playing ringtone.

Thanks,

Z.

Attachments

• ringer.apk
    289.5 KB · Views: 1,120
Last edited:
Reactions: beatphreek

Variable.Unknown

Dec 27, 2013
Smart Ringers?

Nice application! Not really something I personally would get use from, but I can see the usefulness. :)

Here's an idea I've had, and I'd love to make it into an application, but I've never started learning code and I lack the patience. The idea is individual Notification ringtones, so you can set it so different contacts trigger a different ringtone.

Android can already do it with calls, but not with notifications. It seems simple enough to me, detect the contact whom the message came from and play the appropriate sound to go with it, if one has been set.

I'm not sure if that's what you meant by "Filter calls according to contact." If what I described is what you meant, awesome idea! If that's not what you meant by it, include it if you want and I'll be happy to feel like I contributed. I think it would be a great addition to a great application.

zevele

Mar 8, 2010
Version 0.55

New Version v0.55
A minor release - added a message log to be able to better trace issues.

Thanks,

Z.

Attachments

• ringer.apk
    291.3 KB · Views: 669

zevele

Mar 8, 2010
Version 0.6

New version v0.6

Finally found the nasty widget bug (may be also a solution the the MediaPlayer bug).
Note: this version will reset Ringer's settings to default.

Changelog:
  • Fixed bug where in some devices the widget configuration appeared before properly placing the widget - causing ringer to crash when pressing the "Okay" button. Due to this bug it was almost impossible to add a widget on these devices.
  • Attempt to fix an issue where Ringer crashed while playing the ring-tone (this is an attempt because the problem is relatively rare and I'm unable to reproduce it on my device...).
  • Fixed issue where on some devices the notification icons appeared too big.
  • Instead of waking up the device every time to check the gravity sensor ("Poll gravity sensor when screen is off"), now keep the device awake all the time using a partial wake lock ("Keep device awake") - I've read somewhere that this might be more battery friendly.
  • Updated SDK to v4.4.2.
  • Added infrastructure for automatic version update.
  • Some more minor bug fixes and code improvements.

Thanks,

Z.

Attachments

• ringer.apk
    298.1 KB · Views: 93

zevele

Mar 8, 2010
Version 0.61

New version v0.61

Mainly bug fixes (keep sending those crash reports...)

changelog:
  • In the widget configuration dialog, the timer-picker is now enabled only when "Timed silent widget" is selected.
  • Changed timestamp in the message log to present real date/time string.
  • Fixed wrong gravity sensor polling timeout - causing ringer to never change ringer mode when facing up/down.
  • Fixed crash when ringtone was not found - it will now use a default one in this case, and present an error message.
  • Fixed crash when restoring alarm and no next event is found.

Thanks,

Z.

Attachments

• ringer.apk
    298.5 KB · Views: 561
Reactions: rockosifraldi

bigbarrel

Jun 15, 2009
Notification icon

Is there any way to get rid of the active notification icon in the status bar? That real estate is precious and I would rather not have the icon there?

Solved: I went into Settings/Applications/Ringer and toggled off the Notifications.

Last edited:

brotbuexe

Apr 16, 2009
I use ringer mostly for the Auto-Ringer option.
Any chance that you could add a android wear support so the wear is put to silent when auto-ringer mutes the phone by calendar or facing down on the table?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ringer V0.8
    attachment.php

My wife, changed her old Nokia for a Galaxy wonder and missed her "meeting" profile. So I wrote her this small app. I hope you'll find this app useful. It's been tested on my Galaxy Note 4. Any suggestions and remarks are most welcome.

Main Features:
    • When in silent or vibration mode, if the phone rings a single beep is played (like the "meeting" profile in the old Nokia phone)
    • Replace the default beep with a ringtone from the phone's ringtone list.
    • Control the ringtone volume.
    • Display different notification icons when in normal or silent modes.
    • Automatically set silent mode according to the calendar, with possibility to ignore all day/private/free/tentative events and selecting calendars.
    • Automatically set silent mode when facing up/down.
    • Automatically restore ringer after a timeout.
    • Play ringtone for selected notifications (both customizable).
    • Play a sound effect when the device is automatically set to silent mode (downloaded from freesfx).
    • Mute device a few minutes (configurable) before an event.
    • Flash the flash led for incoming call and notifications.
    • A widget to turn on/off the service and switch between normal and silent modes, including:
      • Simple toggle widget.
      • Analog clock widget that shows the next calendar events.
      • Timer widget that sets silent mode to a predetermined period of time.

Future features I may (or may not include):
    • Filter calendar events according to keyword.
    • Filter events according to contacts (Thanks Magissia).
    • Allow selecting different ringtones for notifications according to contact (thanks Variable.Unknown)
    • Profile buttons on the notification for easy profile change (not sure if this could be done for android < 3).

Known Issues:
    • None at the moment...

Downloads:
    Ringer V0.8

Older versions can be found in the attachments of the following posts:

Ringer V0.8
    Ringer V0.61
    Ringer V0.55
    Ringer V0.54
    Ringer V0.4
    Ringer V0.3
    Ringer V0.2
    Ringer V0.1

Video Review (v0.4):
    Osas Obaiza from WonderHowTo have made a nice review of the app including the following youtube clip:

Acknowledgments:
    • Sound effects where taken from FreeSFX
    Lot's of updates - now version 0.4,

• Toggle widget now shows the next meeting.
    • Allow to activate also in vibration mode.
    • Show information about last toggle (why and when).
    • Added exception handler, allow user to send crash report.
    • Add beep for all notifications - each application can be set with a separate ringtone and volume (Ringer must be enabled as an accessibility service for this feature).
    • Added timeout dialog feature when muting the device manually (an automatically restore ringer volume after selected timeout).
    • Allow using alarm to wake up device to read the gravity sensor for the face up/down options (may lead to high battery drain).
    • Allow to aggressively restart service (when the service is killed by the OS - may lead to high battery drain).
    • Fix Nexus 4 crash when using automatic silent mode according to calendar.
    • Additional bug fixes and improvements.
    Going to have to try this out. Found a few other apps on the market that kinda do this put pack in to many other features I don't want or need.
    Hey zevele, thanks for making this app. I installed it yesterday before my shift at work - it read from my work-specific calendar and set vibrate mode on/off and the start/end of my shift, worked like a charm! I couldn't ask for a simpler profile switching system.

BTW I'm using it on my HTC One with ViperOne 3.0. Thanks again!