[ROM] MeanBean Reborn v0.9 | Jan 27 | JB 4.3 (MJ9) | Zero Wake Lag! | Color Emoji's!

Search This thread

big0ak

Mar 1, 2011
I just realized something. I don't have panoramic mode on my camera. Anybody else?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Free mobile app

killa408shark

Aug 21, 2011
San Jose CA
I just realized something. I don't have panoramic mode on my camera. Anybody else?

I have it. Try to re flash the ROM. Or download it again

Attachments

• 1400473627042.jpg
    1400473627042.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 359

shill1986

Dec 25, 2012
North Port, Florida
myworld.ebay.com
Ah sweet Jesus, Mikey, I cannot tell you how happy I am to come back after almost a year absent, and on Trans Nebula (which has just gone to junk the last few months) and see a new(er) MeanBean. I am just getting to Busch Gardens, but now I can wait to get home and flash this and have a decent working phone again. I love, LOVE, tablet mode, and could put up with a few this and that's at launch, but now the screen lag, and general phone lag are so bad it's hardly usable. Not to mention GPS not working and parts of the screen being unresponsive at times.

THANK YOU so much for keeping the Bean... MEAN!

Note 2 -> 6,200 mah Hyperion ExtBatt w/ modded Otterbox ->TransNebula Tab ROM -> Tapatalk 4

VZW OG Droid-> VZW Droid 2-> VZW Droid 3-> T-MO LG G2X-> VZW iPhone 4S-> VZW Galaxy Note 2

big0ak

Mar 1, 2011
Anybody running any 4.4 roms vs this one?

killa408shark

Aug 21, 2011
San Jose CA
Anybody running any 4.4 roms vs this one?

I been running this rom for the last 2 months or so I really like the emojis. It's an amazing rom no lag for me all changed was different launcher I don't like the 4x5 and the status bar. Also get great battery life too. I still have the stock kernel

Attachments

• 1402203286947.jpg
    1402203286947.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 199

hopesrequiem

May 27, 2011
I been running this rom for the last 2 months or so I really like the emojis. It's an amazing rom no lag for me all changed was different launcher I don't like the 4x5 and the status bar. Also get great battery life too. I still have the stock kernel

What did you use to change status bar icons

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

big0ak

Mar 1, 2011
Anybody running a 4.4 tw rom yet that's as good as this one?

tomnj1961

Dec 5, 2013
Anybody running a 4.4 tw rom yet that's as good as this one?

I have been running MochaDrizzle 4.4.2 for a week now with Agni kernel and it has been stable and smooth. Stock kernel gave me some issues but agni solved them all. It is my DD right now. Very impressed with the speed and snappiness of a TW.

Reactions: big0ak

mikeyxda

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 2, 2010
Florida - Gulf Coast
www.ddisoftware.com

Been a while, but as I remember it wasn't trivial. You have to add all the emoji's to the framework and then change a bunch of framework code that was bypassing the color emojis and making calls to the B/W ones. The code is basically there but in several smali's, there's some bypass code you have to get rid of to get it to read the real (color) ones.

If I ever get any time (inundated with other work right now), I will try to update MeanBean to MeanKat. But it's not on the near horizon.

Mike

Thecrazyskull

Jan 23, 2013
Been a while, but as I remember it wasn't trivial. You have to add all the emoji's to the framework and then change a bunch of framework code that was bypassing the color emojis and making calls to the B/W ones. The code is basically there but in several smali's, there's some bypass code you have to get rid of to get it to read the real (color) ones.

If I ever get any time (inundated with other work right now), I will try to update MeanBean to MeanKat. But it's not on the near horizon.

Mike

Maybe im now asking too much but there are sooo many users wo would really appriciate and thank you if you could make it possible on the I9300 android 4.3.
If you need anything just ask or pm me:D

EDIT: I tried the framework-res.apk on my s3 (Neatrom v7.9) and it booted half... with wiping dalvik and cache it boot almost (the softkeys are lighted up white and if i wait a few minutes it (hot)reboots again and thats it.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MeanBean Reborn for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2!
    MeanBean Reborn is built on the MJ9 Verizon base (Android 4.3)

attachment.php

Now with COLOR Emoji's system-wide!
    attachment.php

attachment.php

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. To be clean: mostly stock look and feel
    2. To be mean: apply optimizations for smoother performance
    3. To be nice: provide cool functionality not present in the stock base

attachment.php

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Future

attachment.php

v0.9 - Disabled safe volume nag

attachment.php

The clean:
    • Built on MJ9 Verizon base

The mean:
    • Performance tweaks
    • No screen wake lag!
    • Screen on/off performance and battery tweaks for snappier UI and better battery

The nice:

• Zero screen wake lag (can be turned off for maximum battery - see post 3)!
    • System-wide full color Emoji's!
    • Zero battery drain extended screen-off volume controls (volume, skip, pause, play, torch light) - see post 3 for usage
    • Notification sounds are silenced when playing music (configurable, see post 3)
    • Instagram video upload fix
    • MeanBean boot animation
    • 3 way reboot menu
    • Disabled safe volume nag
    • In-call voice recording
    • Working init.d support
    • 4x5 launcher
    • Note 3 apps: Samsung keyboard w/emoji and SketchBook app (credit titooo7)
    • Removed space-wasting stock toggles and brightness slider in notifications (use included Power Toggles to customize your own toggles)
    • Flashable ZIP in /sdcard/MeanBean_Reborn to restore stock toggles if you wish
    • Increased MMS sizes
    • de-ASEC encrypted/paid apps on boot
    • Full color circular battery meter (1% increments)
    • Removed "AM/PM" on status bar
    • Constant ringtone volume by disabling ring fade
    • Signature checking disabled (allows recompiled apk's)
    • SuperSU
    • Native hotspot unlocked
    • Bonus ringtones/notifications
    • More to come (by request)!

Credit where credit is due:

As with any open source stuff, some of this work is my own, most of it comes from other sources. So in addition to my own work (mostly in the "mean" category), here's a quick thanks to those of you who contributed knowingly (thank you) and not-so-knowingly via open source 5 finger discount (thank you just the same: your stuff is good and that's why I used it). :) Sometimes it's not entirely obvious where the source started so if I missed someone, please let me know and I'll add you. Also, I'm careful to only include other work where the author does not specify any usage restrictions or has given approval. If you believe, however, that I've included something that shouldn't be in this ROM, please just PM me.

Credit krowley3: I used your Sophisticated ROM as a base (thanks for the offer!)!
    Other credits: I list them in the features section above and give links to the original works so you can donate to other devs for specific mods you like!

Want my stuff?:

I list credits in the features section above and links to original works: if you see something credited there and you want to use it, click the link and seek permission from the developer I've credited. If you see something in this ROM and I don't reference some other source, I probably coded it myself. If you want it: take it and use it in your ROM, your theme, whatever you like. I just ask that you please credit me. I'm a firm believer in Android and open source so you don't even have to ask. Anything you see here... it's yours for just the price of a simple line crediting me. I always share as I believe that's the way we developers put the power in Android... and one way we can fight "the Apple brainwashing machine". ;)

attachment.php

Below are some pointers on updating your firmware, installing recoveries, modding, etc. before we get to the good stuff (installation and downloads).

CHANGELOG:

See post #2

Problems after you flash?:

PLEASE DO NOT REPORT PROBLEMS IN THIS THREAD UNTIL you've done a full wipe and fresh install to see if that cures it. I know I should really just do like most devs and proclaim REQUIRES FULL WIPE/FRESH INSTALL on every version. That saves me a lot of headaches but I know what a PITA a fresh install can be even with MyBackup or Titanium at your disposal. So it never hurts to try just a flash without a full wipe, but if you run into any HINT of a problem... anything at all... don't report the problem in this thread until you've tried a full wipe and fresh install first to see if that cures the problem!

Note regarding tweaks: don't flash tweaks or themes on top unless you KNOW the tweak/theme is compatible with the the MJ9 base

Installation - a final note:

First, the usual disclaimers. I supply the ammo, you use it. ROMS don't kill phones, n00bs do. :D Use this ROM at your own risk as I won't be responsible for bricks or any other untoward happenings. I spent a lot of time ensuring that the stuff in this ROM is fast, smooth, and compatible. But... it always helps to have some familiarity with flashing ROMs to keep yourself safe.

attachment.php

Download links are below

Now to installation of the ROM itself...

1. Always make a Nandroid backup before installing anything on your phone!
    2. Use Odin 3.07 to install MJ9 firmware.
    3. On first install of MeanBean Reborn, do a full wipe (although rumor is I dirty flashed from MeanBean ICE MC3 base... but I'll never admit it). ;)
    4. Subsequent updates: no wiping necessary BUT...
    5. If you have any trouble at all, do a full wipe and then reinstall
    6. Install using recovery (I use latest TWRP)

attachment.php

attachment.php
    ... you're gonna break it!
    Don't flash any other mods, tweaks, or themes unless they specifically say they are built for (the latest version of) MeanBean or you WILL break features in this ROM and/or cause instability! While this ROM is designed to have the general look/feel of the stock ROM, it is highly customized under the hood and mods, tweaks, or themes not designed specifically for this ROM will cause problems. If you want this ROM to run perfectly without any issues, do not flash anything on top.

Latest releases (TWRP recovery recommended):

attachment.php

Click to Donate
    Donations are greatly appreciated, but honestly, no one gets rich off ROM developing so it's not about the money for me.

Mike

XDA:DevDB Information
    MeanBean Reborn, a ROM for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Contributors
    mikeyxda, krowley3
    ROM OS Version: 4.3.x Jellybean
    ROM Firmware Required: VZW MJ9
    Based On: TW

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 0.9
    Stable Release Date: 2014-01-27

Created 2014-01-27
    Last Updated 2014-01-27
    Changelog:

0.9 - Jan 27, 2014

Changes:
    • Disabled safe volume nag

0.8 - Jan 21, 2014

Changes:
    • Expanded screen-off volume controls to include torch light on/off (see post 3)

0.7 - Jan 20, 2014

Changes:
    • Fix for Instagram FC when uploading videos

0.6 - Jan 19, 2014

Changes:
    • Notification sounds are silenced when playing music (configurable, see post 3)

0.5 - Jan 16, 2014

Changes:
    • Zero battery drain extended screen-off volume controls (volume, skip, pause, play) - see post 3 for usage
    • Option to turn off zero wake lag (in build.prop, see post 3 below)
    • Updated some core apps

0.4 - Jan 11, 2014

Changes:
    • System-wide full color Emoji support!
    • Fixed FC when removing pen while using Samsung keyboard

0.3 - Jan 10, 2014

Changes:
    • Added Note 3 keyboard and Note 3 SketchBook app
    • Replaced "Verizon Wireless" with "MeanBean Reborn" on status bar pulldown
    • Fixed brightness slider toggle in Settings, Display, Notifications

0.2 - Jan 9, 2014

Changes:
    • Added screen on/off performance and battery tweaks for snappier UI and better battery life
    • Build prop tweaks
    • Removed stock toggles and brightness slider: use included Power Toggles to customize your own toggles
    • Flashable ZIP in /sdcard/MeanBean_Reborn to restore stock toggles/brightness

Installation notes:
    Dirty wipe OK if coming from a prior version of MeanBean Reborn (dirty flash from MeanBean to MeanBean Reborn --> YMMV). If this is your first time flashing MeanBean Reborn, clean install highly recommended.
    Zero battery drain extended screen-off volume controls - usage

The volume buttons on the left side of the phone can be used to perform special functions when the screen is turned off. Because this is a modification to the framework and the code is never executed until you press the volume keys with the screen off, it uses zero battery unlike some of the apps you find on Google Play that are always running in the background, draining your battery as they monitor key status. Usage is as follows:

TAP for volume: Simply tap volume up/down to increase/decrease volume.
    LONG PRESS to skip tracks: Press and hold volume up/down for 0.5 second (but not more than 1 second) to skip to next/prev. track.
    VERY LONG PRESS to play/pause: Press and hold volume up/down for 1 second (but not more than 2 seconds) to skip to next/prev. track.
    HOLD to turn torch light on/off: Press and hold volume up/down for at least 2 seconds to turn torch light on/off.

Once you get a feel for the timing, it's very easy to operate!

Turning off Zero Wake Lag

If you want maximum battery life and you don't mind the screen-on delay, you can turn off the ZWL mod. Use Root Explorer or ES File Explorer and open /system/build.prop with /system in R/W mode. Then locate this line at the very bottom of the file:

Code:
    meanbean.opt.zerowakelag=true

Change to this:

Code:
    meanbean.opt.zerowakelag=false

Turning on Music Notifications

By default, notification sounds don't play while you are listening to music so that your music is not being constantly interrupted by notifications from your email, Kik Messenger, text messaging app, SnapChat and other apps that use push notifications. Notifications work normally when no music is playing. Most people prefer to listen to music without these constant interruptions and without having to resort to airplane mode or turning notification volume all the way down manually. If you do want notification sounds, however, you can turn them on so that they play even during music by making the following change in the build.prop file. Use Root Explorer or ES File Explorer and open /system/build.prop with /system in R/W mode. Then locate this line at the very bottom of the file:

Code:
    meanbean.opt.musicnotify=false

Change to this:

Code:
    meanbean.opt.musicnotify=true

Wanna make your gallery super fast?

If you're tired of the stuttering and not even being able to scroll your gallery and you don't care about Samsung AllShare Cast, use Root Explorer or ES File Explorer and just delete these files from /system/app, reboot, and watch your gallery fly!

AllShareCastPlayer.apk
    AllshareControlShare.apk
    AllshareFileShare.apk
    AllshareFileShareClient.apk
    AllshareFileShareServer.apk
    AllshareMediaServer.apk
    AllshareMediaShare.apk
    .1 and .2 have been perfect for me.

BOOM... we're getting system-wide full color emoji's in 0.4! Took me about 6 hours today but I finally cracked the framework changes to make it happen. Gotta fix that pen FC on the Samsung keyboard and then I'll upload 0.4. Figure on about 5pm eastern time.

Not sure, but do any other MJ9 based ROMs have full color emojis? I don't think so. Don't wanna make a claim though when I haven't checked thoroughly.

Mike
    Thanks Mikey. The addition to the volume rockers is really sweet. I see some don't like ZWL, but it's a major thing to me. I would still be on the original Mean Bean ICE had you not come back and fixed this update.

Yeah, me too but options are always good. I'm excited about the volume controls as I see those as a breakthrough. No one has taken the time to rewrite that mod since it came out years ago. So in rewriting it, I slipped a few extras in. It's a lot easier to port too the way it's written: everything can be dropped into android.policy.jar in basically one big chunk instead of pieces floating around all over the place. If I get time, I'll do a guide later. Right now I gotta get back to (my paying) job for a bit. :)

Mike