Eugene OR TeamWhiskey 2.2

Search This thread

jzero88

Feb 1, 2010
Orange County
So it looks like they both have working 2.2 builds out in the wild now. My question is which one is better, or which one are YOU going to use? Let's try and keep the comparison here, that way we don't clog up both of these wonderful dev's threads.

Last edited:

Gigamaster89

Sep 12, 2010
I have never used either since I'm still stock. What was the general consensus before their new 2.2 builds?

jzero88

Feb 1, 2010
Orange County
I wouldn't know. They both have a huge following though. What I have noticed is that each one has very loyal followers. It almost seems as if its "either one or the other". But since it is now 2.2, it is a completely different ball game.

willsnews

Sep 1, 2010
Chicago
I wouldn't know. They both have a huge following though. What I have noticed is that each one has very loyal followers. It almost seems as if its "either one or the other". But since it is now 2.2, it is a completely different ball game.

I thinks it's really your preference no two vibrants are the same so whatever works best for your phone and for you is what matters try them both try them all you'll figure out what's best for you I'm running bionix final with jacs oc/uv kernel but I've tried the froyo roms they are cool but for me this works best have fun and for the love of god stay drunk

Times never wasted when your getting waisted

jzero88

Feb 1, 2010
Orange County
I thinks it's really your preference no two vibrants are the same so whatever works best for your phone and for you is what matters try them both try them all you'll figure out what's best for you I'm running bionix final with jacs oc/uv kernel but I've tried the froyo roms they are cool but for me this works best have fun and for the love of god stay drunk

lol +1

I love you man. nohomo :)

argie

Sep 7, 2007
Bedford, TX
My question is which one is better?
Fair question, but somewhat irrelevant in my opinion. My experience with stock vs cooked ROMs (MT3G CM6) is that the only real advantage is better speed. Sure, a few different user-experience changes, but that's all. An the stock ROMs are far more stable.

My stock Vibrant is already plenty fast. I'm rooted and can use root-only apps. My Dolphin browser already displays Flash. JIT will make it technically faster, but will I actually notice..? What would Eugene or TeamWhiskey add to that...?

jonwilly

Aug 22, 2010
Have not tried either but am running fusion by team wiskey with there kernel. Phone runs to good to worry about 2.2.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

willsnews

Sep 1, 2010
Chicago
Fair question, but somewhat irrelevant in my opinion. My experience with stock vs cooked ROMs (MT3G CM6) is that the only real advantage is better speed. Sure, a few different user-experience changes, but that's all. An the stock ROMs are far more stable.

My stock Vibrant is already plenty fast. I'm rooted and can use root-only apps. My Dolphin browser already displays Flash. JIT will make it technically faster, but will I actually notice..? What would Eugene or TeamWhiskey add to that...?

What flash are you running on stock?

willsnews

Sep 1, 2010
Chicago
Have not tried either but am running fusion by team wiskey with there kernel. Phone runs to good to worry about 2.2.

I like this post cause so many people wanna be on 2.2 for a lot of
Reasons but I only want the flash player lol

kangxi

Jun 10, 2010
Orlando
Team whiskey roms are far too buggy to rely on

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

This statement is very inaccurate. When was the last time you installed a bionix rom?

I'm running the 2.2 and it is flawless. 2.2 offers a lot of improvements over 2.1 besides flash. If you don't know what those are then you really shouldn't be giving uninformed information.

heygrl

Nov 20, 2009
Las Vegassss
Which one looks like stock? Both? I really despise the all black theme I see on the 2.1 Bionix roms. It just looks tacky in some places like the notifications pull down and it's too black. I see Macnut looks kind of like stock.. no screenshots included with either tho. Either way I've downloaded Macnut and I will be installing it ASAP. I'll try the other 2.2 rom next..

kolyan

Jan 8, 2008
I like this post cause so many people wanna be on 2.2 for a lot of
Reasons but I only want the flash player lol

2.2 is A VERY BIG update. I dont know about Vibrant, but it should improve battery, it should run faster due to JIT, it has MANY extra features, and its compatible with 2.2 apps (new Gmail, Chrome-to-phone, youtube, flash...etc). move to 2.3 is not that big

that said, i trust TW more then Eugene.

ackattacker

Sep 19, 2010
Cambridge
Personally I think it's too soon to be worried about which one is better for general use. I'd give it a little time for each to get some additional polish unless you just enjoy flashing roms all the time every time a new one comes out. Chances are there'll be bug-fixes and tweaks to both in the next few days. Wait for that and more feedback from the early adopters and then decide...

MasterColdSoul

May 27, 2010
When I got my phone used it had Eugenes rom on it, but I felt Bionix and team Whiskeys roms have been the best roms besides CM.

Put it this way I have only donated to 2 developers, #1 CM and #2 Team Whiskey.

bullale

Jul 19, 2010
This statement is very inaccurate. When was the last time you installed a bionix rom?

I'm running the 2.2 and it is flawless. 2.2 offers a lot of improvements over 2.1 besides flash. If you don't know what those are then you really shouldn't be giving uninformed information.

It isn't flawless. Calendar doesn't sync. Holding back results in a FC (new screenshot feature not implemented properly). I've had inconsistency in the market. Don't get me wrong, I'm using it and I like it, but don't throw the word 'flawless' around so easily.

VICosPhi

Aug 2, 2010
Phoenix
If you remove screencapture.apk that fixes the back button long press fc and you need to install calendar(something).apk to fix sync issues..

kuhan

Aug 26, 2010
It all comes down to personal preference. My experience with Eugene's 2.1 ROMs are that they're TOO skinned. I personally prefer Team Whiskey.

To answer your question about which looks more stock, Team Whiskey hasn't really skinned the Obsidian ROM all that much, so it basically looks like Stock TouchWiz.

kolyan

Jan 8, 2008
It isn't flawless. Calendar doesn't sync. Holding back results in a FC (new screenshot feature not implemented properly). I've had inconsistency in the market. Don't get me wrong, I'm using it and I like it, but don't throw the word 'flawless' around so easily.

there is a fix already for both

Only Loki

Oct 3, 2009
Detroit
I was using Macnut R7 and was about to flash R9 but Team Whiskeys downloaded faster. The major difference between R9 and 7 is, wi fi calling, modem and working gps with some minor tweeks.

If that is true then my comparison won't be too far off.

The biggest difference between the too is that Team W is a near perfect leak of the official 2.2 rom and Eugene's has some mods like built lag fix and a modified version of T.W. which for the most part is better than stock (not perfect but better; in my opinion)

That should really be what makes you choose which one you want.

Secondary things to think about is that, whiskey roms are known for getting official ota's which is nice if you want to get the official with little work, but its still kinda glitchy and slower than Eugenes, but not in a bad way. If you are running stock without a lag fix then you won't notice much. Eugene's rom is highly modded and some stock things won't work like if you still have avatar on your sdcard, and since his is a port there are some remnants of I9000 and cappy things floating around that can throw you off. But it is less glitchy atm and too me looks better. It has a lightly themed Modified TW. But you can get and install that yourself if you want there is a link in the macnut thread.

Hope that helps. I'm Running tw's rom now but I'm going to check out R9.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    According to the XDA homepage, the Macnut thread is more popular today than the Obsidian thread.