ROOTED - Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available.?

Search This thread

ElvinWasHere

Oct 6, 2010
[Have seen this in other forums but wasn't sure if the solutions there applied to the S4]

Anyways, the only thing I've done on my S4 is 1) sim-unlock the device via (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2282683) and 2) root the device via KIES.

I have not installed any custom firmware or whatnot, I've only done the above 2. When I try to hit System Update, I get the message "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available."

I even ran Triangle Away to bring my counter back down to 0 (even if I didn't install any custom firmware) and I'm still getting this error. Does anyone have any solutions?
Should I unroot the device and will that bring it back to normal?

Thanks in advance!

GnexMatic

Apr 7, 2012
no updates

I got the same message. I removed root and tried to update and got the same thing. I was wondering if a factory reset would restore my updates.

Bell, GS4, Qualcomm

[Have seen this in other forums but wasn't sure if the solutions there applied to the S4]

Anyways, the only thing I've done on my S4 is 1) sim-unlock the device via (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2282683) and 2) root the device via KIES.

I have not installed any custom firmware or whatnot, I've only done the above 2. When I try to hit System Update, I get the message "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available."

I even ran Triangle Away to bring my counter back down to 0 (even if I didn't install any custom firmware) and I'm still getting this error. Does anyone have any solutions?
Should I unroot the device and will that bring it back to normal?

Thanks in advance!

stevessvt

Nov 6, 2010
Lake Worth
In triangle away there is an option to disable root for a minute or so when booting, this will have the stock rom think its not rooted, enabling software updates.

inspectergadget

Jun 23, 2013
same issue

I had the same issue. I had rooted my phone and got that message when trying to update OTA.
I really wanted the ability to put apps on the sd card from the phone itself and not have to use some fancy app to do it for me and make symbolic links (Linux stuff)
What I did was goto settings-accounts-backup and reset- and selected factory data reset.

This completely returns your phone to stock like it came out of the box. afterward I didn't get the message but I kept getting server communication errors so I connected my phone through usb to kies and it is doing the firmware upgrade as I type and OMFG is it the slowest ****ing thing I have ever had the misfortune to do. Its been on for about 3 hours and its only at 42%
And strangely my phone is still completely usable while this is going on.

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Wait, is the update available for the T-Mobile devices now?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

stevessvt

Nov 6, 2010
Lake Worth
Anyone of us will be answer. Soon as an update is released. But in order to get an update, you MUST be completely stock, down to the bloatware.

Jatin Ganatra

Aug 22, 2013
your system has been modified

Hi, I have successfully installed cynogen mod 10.1 nightly. And I again restored my original 4.1.2 but now when I trying to check OTA update it says "your system has been modified, software update is not available. Please please please help me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-08-23-01-11-51-1.png
    Screenshot_2013-08-23-01-11-51-1.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 765

baseballfanz

Oct 19, 2010
Sugar Land TX
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
Reactions: Jatin Ganatra

Jatin Ganatra

Aug 22, 2013
misunderstanding

Thanks a lot Brother.. i will try it and hope it will work.. and will get back to you soon.. thanks again..

Hello brother, I guess there is some misunderstanding regarding device model. My question is for my samsung note 10.1 GT-N8000 . Should I follow the same steps to get back my original system ? Please suggest. Thanks.

JudgeHudge

Jun 17, 2013
Valdosta
Im having the same issue after using triangle away. Everything says official and flash count is at 0. Any ideas? Also, with flash count set at 0 and everything listed as official, does this mean i will be ok for warranty? Im having an issue with my touchscreen working and the Tmobile place had to send me a new phone :(

Edit: Done a factory reset after using triangle away and i got the "Your device is up to date." Message. Still somewhat worried about warranty though.

Last edited:

baseballfanz

Oct 19, 2010
Sugar Land TX
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
Im having the same issue after using triangle away. Everything says official and flash count is at 0. Any ideas? Also, with flash count set at 0 and everything listed as official, does this mean i will be ok for warranty? Im having an issue with my touchscreen working and the Tmobile place had to send me a new phone :(

Edit: Done a factory reset after using triangle away and i got the "Your device is up to date." Message. Still somewhat worried about warranty though.

If you have used Triangle away and flash counter shows 0 plus everything show "Official" you shouldn't have a problem

a103

Aug 12, 2010
The link provided is for T-Mobile GS4 only, please do not try it on any device other than T-Mobile GS4. You will need to find similar procedure for your device. I would recommend looking into the specific device forum.

---------- Post added at 05:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 AM ----------

Hello brother, I guess there is some misunderstanding regarding device model. My question is for my samsung note 10.1 GT-N8000 . Should I follow the same steps to get back my original system ? Please suggest. Thanks.
The link provided is for T-Mobile GS4 only, please do not try it on any device other than T-Mobile GS4. You will need to find similar procedure for your device. I would recommend looking into the specific device forum.

Top Liked Posts