Encrypt Kindle HDX's ROM Possible?

Search This thread

H0B0onDRUGS2

Feb 13, 2014
From what I've learned online, when rooting a device the changes that are done to the system are done on the ROM file. If true then is it possible to encrypt or overwrite on top of the ROM file to hide any past rooting information?

Reason: I've been having a USB port issue with my PC not being about to recognize the device when plugged into a PC using the micro USB cable. Searched online and found many different ways to troubleshoot the connectivity issue, but couldn't get it to work. Hit the MAYDAY button and said "no, it's not rooted", and yes it did update firmware to 13.3.2.1 so technically no, "it's not rooted"... anymore...

Question: Any ideas on how to "hide" this information to keep warranty?

I already have a replacement on it's way so I can side load through USB once again instead of using a cloud drive to transfer files back and forth. I personally think the current device I have has a corrupted file (some where) when the device died of having no battery power. Read it happening to other people, so I believe it. Used many cables, and many PC's including a Linux PC. Nothing, so Amazon support gave up, and decide to send me a replacement HDX since they concluded it's a physical hardware issue. As if one of the ports are not working to load drivers to the PCs using the pug-and-play method. I think that makes sense but I AM NOT 100% SURE OF THIS. I think it makes sense, but I'm not an expert yet. I don't know completely, so don't ask me.

What do you guys think? Am I pretty much screwed and need to forget about replacing this HDX? And probably wait for a better hardware-wise tablet to come out for a reasonable price? Or can I get the replacement, no questions asked?

Last edited:

jjrizzelcincy

Mar 19, 2011
cincinnati
From what I've learned online, when rooting a device the changes that are done to the system are done on the ROM file. If true then is it possible to encrypt or overwrite on top of the ROM file to hide any past rooting information?

Reason: I've been having a USB port issue with my PC not being about to recognize the device when plugged into a PC using the micro USB cable. Searched online and found many different ways to troubleshoot the connectivity issue, but couldn't get it to work. Hit the MAYDAY button and said "no, it's not rooted", and yes it did update firmware to 13.3.2.1 so technically no, "it's not rooted"... anymore...

Question: Any ideas on how to "hide" this information to keep warranty?

I already have a replacement on it's way so I can side load through USB once again instead of using a cloud drive to transfer files back and forth. I personally think the current device I have has a corrupted file (some where) when the device died of having no battery power. Read it happening to other people, so I believe it. Used many cables, and many PC's including a Linux PC. Nothing, so Amazon support gave up, and decide to send me a replacement HDX since they concluded it's a physical hardware issue. As if one of the ports are not working to load drivers to the PCs using the pug-and-play method. I think that makes sense but I AM NOT 100% SURE OF THIS. I think it makes sense, but I'm not an expert yet. I don't know completely, so don't ask me.

What do you guys think? Am I pretty much screwed and need to forget about replacing this HDX? And probably wait for a better hardware-wise tablet to come out for a reasonable price? Or can I get the replacement, no questions asked?

just wipe the kindle from inside the rom like a return to factory setting and it will wipe your root and everything on the device including sdcard well internal sdcard anyway ,and you will be fine

H0B0onDRUGS2

Feb 13, 2014
just wipe the kindle from inside the rom like a return to factory setting and it will wipe your root and everything on the device including sdcard well internal sdcard anyway ,and you will be fine

Sounds good. I'll give feed back after they have received it, and again when they OK it. I was thinking that the factory reset only deals with the data on the "hard drive" portion, as in personal data or files like apps and books. I read that the ROM file of the HDX device is on the motherboard so I felt that there was no need to have to "delete", technically ignore/hide, the data of the old ROM file. I was wondering if there was a way to be sneaky and put a file that was the stock ROM and set the day the file was put there around the time the update 13.3.2.1 came out. I just don't want the issue of them saying that the warranty is void when the device is not rooted anymore .

Plus I can deal with a device that can not be recognized by a PC still. Just upload to a cloud my files using the Internet and all is good if they see it was rooted before and I have to deal with this old HDX.

Last edited:

jjrizzelcincy

Mar 19, 2011
cincinnati
Sounds good. I'll give feed back after they have received it, and again when they OK it. I was thinking that the factory reset only deals with the data on the "hard drive" portion, as in personal data or files like apps and books. I read that the ROM file of the HDX device is on the motherboard so I felt that there was no need to have to "delete", technically ignore/hide, the data of the old ROM file. I was wondering if there was a way to be sneaky and put a file that was the stock ROM and set the day the file was put there around the time the update 13.3.2.1 came out. I just don't want the issue of them saying that the warranty is void when the device is not rooted anymore .

Plus I can deal with a device that can not be recognized by a PC still. Just upload to a cloud my files using the Internet and all is good if they see it was rooted before and I have to deal with this old HDX.

it will work just wipe it