[Q] Screen staying black when turning on

Search This thread

nlanter95

Oct 1, 2011
Recently my phone screen started to stay black when i go to turn it on, but the phone itself is awake. I can feel the vibration response from using the phone, the screen itself just stays black.

I've tried rebooting the phone, clean flashing a different rom, flashing it back to stock via Odin, and I've read through all other threads about this topic. Nothing fixes it. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to fix the phone?

Thanks!

muiriddin

Feb 25, 2013
Mid-Atlantic
Recently my phone screen started to stay black when i go to turn it on, but the phone itself is awake. I can feel the vibration response from using the phone, the screen itself just stays black.

I've tried rebooting the phone, clean flashing a different rom, flashing it back to stock via Odin, and I've read through all other threads about this topic. Nothing fixes it. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to fix the phone?

Thanks!

My guess is the connection between the screen and the main board has become disconnected. However this is only a guess based upon what happened to one of my phones which I then fixed by opening up and checking this connection. Depending upon the device this can be anywhere from easy to virtually impossible to do. Luckily I haven't had to open up my GS3 (yet).

nlanter95

Oct 1, 2011
My guess is the connection between the screen and the main board has become disconnected. However this is only a guess based upon what happened to one of my phones which I then fixed by opening up and checking this connection. Depending upon the device this can be anywhere from easy to virtually impossible to do. Luckily I haven't had to open up my GS3 (yet).

I actually just started to take mine apart to check for any noticeable issues like that

nlanter95

Oct 1, 2011
You shouldn't have any problems taking it apart and putting it back together. I did have a little bit of a issue trying to put the antenna wire back on but I think I ended up using a ball point pen to reattach it.

I had it all taken apart except for the screen, which coincidentally is the part i need to take off. I'm just slightly hesitant about it since it's easy to break...

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
I had it all taken apart except for the screen, which coincidentally is the part i need to take off. I'm just slightly hesitant about it since it's easy to break...

Have you used ifixit as a reference to aid you? They have teardowns of nearly every entertainment electronic device that has relevance. Here's the international S3 teardown.

I want to make this clear, I have never taken apart my phone to the extent of getting beneath the display or anything that in depth. So I can not troubleshoot with you should you have questions.

nlanter95

Oct 1, 2011
Have you used ifixit as a reference to aid you? They have teardowns of nearly every entertainment electronic device that has relevance. Here's the international S3 teardown.

I want to make this clear, I have never taken apart my phone to the extent of getting beneath the display or anything that in depth. So I can not troubleshoot with you should you have questions.

yeah i used it as a reference after taking apart, but I'm still unsure about taking the screen off. Seems easy to break. I may see if i can sell the phone before doing that

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
yeah i used it as a reference after taking apart, but I'm still unsure about taking the screen off. Seems easy to break. I may see if i can sell the phone before doing that

Yeah that could be a bad idea because you need special adhesive to put it back on. I don't even wat to think about cleaning the old adhesive off if you can reuse the old screen.

Reactions: nlanter95

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yeah that could be a bad idea because you need special adhesive to put it back on. I don't even wat to think about cleaning the old adhesive off if you can reuse the old screen.