Refurbished vs New HD+

Search This thread

mogators1

Dec 3, 2011
So I haven't been able to find a good deal on a new HD+. Is there any real advantage to going new vs. the refurbished ones? I've read some things about bad eMMC chips and was wondering if maybe the refurbs have already been fixed of this issue and might actually be the better option. Either way they have the 1 year warranty. I've thought about going through this seller, link Not the cheapest I've seen, but not 1SaleaDay either. This would still end up being about $50 cheaper than new since their would be no tax or shipping.
Was also looking at BlueProton seller but they just raised their price $5 today

Last edited:

zvnkt

Nov 30, 2011
So I haven't been able to find a good deal on a new HD+. Is there any real advantage to going new vs. the refurbished ones? I've read some things about bad eMMC chips and was wondering if maybe the refurbs have already been fixed of this issue and might actually be the better option. Either way they have the 1 year warranty. I've thought about going through this seller, Not the cheapest I've seen, but not 1SaleaDay either. This would still end up being about $50 cheaper than new since their would be no tax or shipping.
Was also looking at BlueProton seller but they just raised their price $5 today

I have also purchased one from BlurProton yesterday and have the same question. Really appreciated any answers. :)

oppy

Feb 14, 2008
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a refurb. My Nook Color was refurbished, and it seemed 100% new to me.

channeledbymodem

Jan 14, 2013
New York
Google Pixel 6
I have always had good luck with refurbs including the HD+ I just bought. If you're really paranoid you could buy a Square Trade warranty. They are very inexpensive. Note that the price on ST's website is higher because it includes accident protection as well as defective coverage. I would call them and ask if you can just get defective coverage. It costs about 10% of retail. Of course most major credit cards will double the manufacturer's warranty also.

Sent from my Nook HD running CM 10.1 using Tapatalk HD.

mogators1

Dec 3, 2011
I have also purchased one from BlurProton yesterday and have the same question. Really appreciated any answers. :)

Let me know how your order goes with them. It looks like they have sold a ton of them. I'm starting to think if there are any good deals on the new ones for Black Friday it might be on the 32GB ones. Almost everyone seems to be out or low on stock of the 16GB's of the new variety.

mogators1

Dec 3, 2011
http://is.gd/kox1Du

I don't see where it says explicitly that it's a refurb but it must be since it has a 90 day warranty.

No expiration. Limited to 3 per person.

Under condition is states Manufacturer refurbished so I assume they would still have the standard 1 year warranty that B&N gives to refurbs. I don't really need the 32GB version since they have a uSD slot and I already have an extra 32GB card laying around at home, but I still might bite on this.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
B&N does not always give a 1 year warranty on refurbished units anymore.

And you may re-think that 32GB vs 16GB unit decision. The external SD is not very usable unless you install my SD swap zip from my HD/HD+ CWM thread linked in my signature.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2 using XDA Premium

mogators1

Dec 3, 2011

And you may re-think that 32GB vs 16GB unit decision. The external SD is not very usable unless you install my SD swap zip from my HD/HD+ CWM thread linked in my signature.

Thanks leapinlar, I didn't realize that about the warranty. When you say the external SD is not very usable, are you referring to storing apps and app data not working well with the external SD? I mostly use the external SD on my current Nook Tablet for storage of things like movies, music, books, etc. Does that still work fine without having to use the swap zip?

Jann F

Jan 13, 2012
Earth
Samsung Galaxy S6
OnePlus 2
I have bought an HD+ 16GB refurb and it was like a new device.
It was properly resealed and all cables were new.
Currently it is running CM10.2 M1 but has the brick affected MAg2GA eMMC inside, so no TRIM for me so far :(

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Mogators1

When I say it does not work well, I mean apps always look at internal memory for store things, like books, movies, music etc. So you can store things on external, but most apps will not see them unless they have the ability to change storage locations.

Edit: On the Nook Color and Nook Tablet, the default is to store media on external SD. On the HD/HD+, the default is to store media on internal memory. That is why the SD swap is necessary, to change the default to external.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: mogators1

channeledbymodem

Jan 14, 2013
New York
Google Pixel 6

Since I posted the Groupon link they have changed the warranty terms to one year. Also the previous 90 day warranty was through some middle man. Now: "1 year warranty from Barnes & Noble. Goods sold by Groupon Goods."

LEECH666

Oct 17, 2013
I bought a refurbished unit from Blue Proton too. It has two tiny dings on the mental frame, but they are hardly noticeable. As for the NAND, EMMC Check reports it to be a bad one (MAG2GA).

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using xda app-developers app

mogators1

Dec 3, 2011
I bought a refurbished unit from Blue Proton too. It has two tiny dings on the mental frame, but they are hardly noticeable. As for the NAND, EMMC Check reports it to be a bad one (MAG2GA).

How do you go about doing the check to see if it is bad?

LEECH666

Oct 17, 2013

Install EMMC Check from the Play Store to figure out your NAND device model and do a cross check with the table
that can be seen here http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/EMMC_Bugs . If your NAND type is MAG2GA your Nook HD+ is most likely affected by the TRIM brick bug.

Forget to mention in my previous post that otherwise I am pretty happy with my purchase from Blue Proton.

Cheers,
L666

Last edited:
Reactions: mogators1

sasmith-129

May 3, 2011
Daytona
Same for me--the box was secured with a "Certified Pre-Owned Nook" seal but otherwise appeared brand new.

However, with CM10.1.3, it hard crashes/reboots several times a day. Also, Chrome crashes frequently on certain sites but not consistently.

Is this typical or should I be concerned there's something still wrong with this device?

Thanks in advance for any comments/feedback on your experience with your refurbished Nook HD+ tablet.

sadmaker

Dec 19, 2012
Be careful with refurbished vs "certified pre-owned". I recently received the latter (reluctantly) as a warranty replacement from B&N, its a piece of junk. Reboots constantly and battery dies in standby. They are now sending out a new Nook HD+.

mogators1

Dec 3, 2011
Be careful with refurbished vs "certified pre-owned". I recently received the latter (reluctantly) as a warranty replacement from B&N, its a piece of junk. Reboots constantly and battery dies in standby. They are now sending out a new Nook HD+.

Hope I have better luck. I have one on the way from Ebay that states Manufacturer refurbished (certified pre-owned). Sucks cause I just saw a new one at my local Sears for $129 which I would have rather had even if it was a little more than I paid.

LEECH666

Oct 17, 2013
Well I bought mine from the USA and I live in Germany, so the 122€ total looked like pretty good value to me (including shipping and customs).
It's a certified pre-owned nook as well, but I don't have any issues with the unit. Works very well so far. I don't really use it for much more than reading mangas with Perfect Viewer and browsing the net tho.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Barnes & Noble Nook HD+ 32GB 9" Tablet Deal of the Day | Groupon $129

http://is.gd/kox1Du

I don't see where it says explicitly that it's a refurb but it must be since it has a 90 day warranty.

No expiration. Limited to 3 per person.
    Mogators1

When I say it does not work well, I mean apps always look at internal memory for store things, like books, movies, music etc. So you can store things on external, but most apps will not see them unless they have the ability to change storage locations.

Edit: On the Nook Color and Nook Tablet, the default is to store media on external SD. On the HD/HD+, the default is to store media on internal memory. That is why the SD swap is necessary, to change the default to external.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using xda premium

Install EMMC Check from the Play Store to figure out your NAND device model and do a cross check with the table
    that can be seen here http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/EMMC_Bugs . If your NAND type is MAG2GA your Nook HD+ is most likely affected by the TRIM brick bug.

Forget to mention in my previous post that otherwise I am pretty happy with my purchase from Blue Proton.

Cheers,
    L666