Enable Tethering without tethering plan

Search This thread

colbyfink

Apr 12, 2010
Nashville
Can anyone post the specific app they're using for SQLite and tell my where exactly to go? I tried the method in the OP but couldn't find it. Sorry for the nooby question. I'm a fairly seasoned vet of Android devices, I'm just having trouble with this one. I'm rooted I just can't find the right file path in SQLite Manager.

Sent from my MB886 using xda app-developers app

Das_mobile

Jul 30, 2009
The 909, So Cal
This is what I had to do to get tethering to work:

Based on what I read here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1962752

1. In the settings.db change dun_apn_changeable to 1 (line 122)

2. Create an APN named Tethering and copy all the settings from the T-Mobile US APN. Enter ",dun" in the APN Type.

I did not need to make it active.

So now it works on Atrix HD tethering works with T-Mobile? Can we just delete out the AT&T APN and put in epc.tmobile.com or internet2.voicestream.com?

Is that what y'all are doing?

mkrunk12

Feb 21, 2012
Error in changing usb entitlement and entitltement

I have the AHD rooted and used the SQlite Editior but and error came up saying can't open data base??? I am using straight talk as the service provider and has any body else had this problem?

diamond12

Nov 7, 2012
Los Angeles
So now it works on Atrix HD tethering works with T-Mobile? Can we just delete out the AT&T APN and put in epc.tmobile.com or internet2.voicestream.com?

Is that what y'all are doing?

Per OP
- Phone has to be rooted
- entitlement_check changed to 0 (or disabled)

I used aShell and aSQLiteManager, which are free. The file is in data/data/com.motorola.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db entitlement_check is line 107 for me.

Apparently it's an APN issue. There's more info in the thread I linked. If I understand it correctly T-Mobile has a hidden APN for tethering. You can either replace it with modified APNs, as suggested in that thread or what I did was change the setting so that the tethering APN can be changed and then create my own. The AT&T APNs aren't used when on the T-Mobile network, so there's no reason to delete them.

Das_mobile

Jul 30, 2009
The 909, So Cal
Thanks, I know you have to use epc.tmobile.com with T-Mobile network. Just didn't understand the part of using SQ editor to disable the lock.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Now that we have root, I've been able to use this method to get tethering on my Atrix HD:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1160452

My line number was 107 but yours maybe different. Good luck!
    I would just like to update the thread on what has been a successfully working Tethering and Mobile Hotspot for a Atrix HD 4.1.1 recently rooted user.

I am merely copying what has been proven to work above instead of inserting all of that APN information, other apps etc..

I by no means claim any glory of offering this information.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.apkfullapps.com/2012/09/sqlite-editor-v201-apk-app.html#.UYEJEz7h6t2

After installation switch to the "Files" Tab

/data/data/com.motorola.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db "settings"

entitlement_check change to 0

USB_entitlement_check change to 0

dun_apn_changeable change to 1

After all records have been saved "reboot your phone".
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now USB tethering and Mobile Hotspot works great without any issues.
    I have not tested the bluetooth feature because i have no use for it.
    I have rebooted the phone numerous times without any sign of issues.
    This is what I had to do to get tethering to work:

Based on what I read here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1962752

1. In the settings.db change dun_apn_changeable to 1 (line 122)

2. Create an APN named Tethering and copy all the settings from your provider's APN. Enter ",dun" in the APN Type.

I did not need to make it active.
    I would just like to update the thread on what has been a successfully working Tethering and Mobile Hotspot for a Atrix HD 4.1.1 recently rooted user.

I am merely copying what has been proven to work above instead of inserting all of that APN information, other apps etc..

I by no means claim any glory of offering this information.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.apkfullapps.com/2012/09/sqlite-editor-v201-apk-app.html#.UYEJEz7h6t2

After installation switch to the "Files" Tab

/data/data/com.motorola.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db "settings"

entitlement_check change to 0

USB_entitlement_check change to 0

dun_apn_changeable change to 1

After all records have been saved "reboot your phone".
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now USB tethering and Mobile Hotspot works great without any issues.
    I have not tested the bluetooth feature because i have no use for it.
    I have rebooted the phone numerous times without any sign of issues.

I can confirm the above steps worked with my T-mobile. ....Sweeet.. I was doing the Wifi Tether thing but it would overheat my phone...now I'm good..to take advantage of unlimited LTE on tmobile. Thanks for all of you...
    JellyBean Straight Talk Rooted Wifi Tether

I did this after rooting JB this morning (set both entitlement checks in db to 0). Still the stock app didn't work right for Wifi Tether. So downloaded and installed WiFi Tether for Root Users. Set Device Profile (in Settings for the app) to Generic ICS/JB (wlan0) and it works like a charm. Don't know if being on ST breaks the built in tether but happy to have it now.