I am stuck in headphone mode

Search This thread

mast3rsign

Jun 3, 2014
Hi,

Usually I just check XDA forums, play with my phone around but I never post or start topics, so this is a first cause I am kinda clueless.

I have my HTC one M8 now for like a week, completely love the phone however since yesterday it got stuck in headphone mode.
The following things I tried: Hard reset, Back-up to previous date, Blowing compressed air, carefully cleaning with 95% alcohol while phone was turned off, Inserting regular phones like 7 times while screen was unlocked, currently using soundabout app to divert the problem... Nothing helped.
The only thing I didn't try is actually rooting the phone however I am not sure if ill have any warranty left then.

Any other ideas perhaps?

avivzamir

Nov 5, 2010
Hi,

Usually I just check XDA forums, play with my phone around but I never post or start topics, so this is a first cause I am kinda clueless.

I have my HTC one M8 now for like a week, completely love the phone however since yesterday it got stuck in headphone mode.
The following things I tried: Hard reset, Back-up to previous date, Blowing compressed air, carefully cleaning with 95% alcohol while phone was turned off, Inserting regular phones like 7 times while screen was unlocked, currently using soundabout app to divert the problem... Nothing helped.
The only thing I didn't try is actually rooting the phone however I am not sure if ill have any warranty left then.

Any other ideas perhaps?
if its an hardware problem i'm not sure there's much u can do, accept trying to clean the headphones jack
if its a software bug maybe try:
-connecting your headphones then turn boomsound on\off then disconnect them.
- hard rest while the headphones are connected then disconnect them.
-before u try a root u can just try a factory rest and u will still have your warranty and if that doesn't work its definitely a hardware issue.

Dantcc

Feb 10, 2011
Hi,

Any other ideas perhaps?

You're not alone, having the same problem and no solution. The most annoying part about it is that I have to use speaker mode to be able to hear/talk during a phone call. Went to the shop and they said they will order another aux jack for me.. not very happy

mast3rsign

Jun 3, 2014
if its an hardware problem i'm not sure there's much u can do, accept trying to clean the headphones jack
if its a software bug maybe try:
-connecting your headphones then turn boomsound on\off then disconnect them.
- hard rest while the headphones are connected then disconnect them.
-before u try a root u can just try a factory rest and u will still have your warranty and if that doesn't work its definitely a hardware issue.

Tried that, nothing worked, I am going to contact my carrier and will apply for warranty. This is pissing me off :eek:

Sbettinger

Jun 16, 2014
You're not alone!

Tried that, nothing worked, I am going to contact my carrier and will apply for warranty. This is pissing me off :eek:

I too find myself stuck in Headphone mode. I don't use headphones and not sure what prompted it. I pulled it out of my pocket after work and found it like that. Restarts and Factory Resets don't do a thing.

When I borrowed a pair of headphones, upon plugging them in my phone starts to dial the last person I called all by itself.

Was hoping to hear how your situation worked out. Verizon said I'm covered by the manufacturing warranty and that HTC will ship me a phone to replace this one. I forgot to ask and am extremely worried I'm going to get a refurbished phone that's already had other issues.

Kinda disappointing on an otherwise awesome phone!

Fat Tone

Jun 14, 2011
I too find myself stuck in Headphone mode. I don't use headphones and not sure what prompted it. I pulled it out of my pocket after work and found it like that. Restarts and Factory Resets don't do a thing.

When I borrowed a pair of headphones, upon plugging them in my phone starts to dial the last person I called all by itself.

Was hoping to hear how your situation worked out. Verizon said I'm covered by the manufacturing warranty and that HTC will ship me a phone to replace this one. I forgot to ask and am extremely worried I'm going to get a refurbished phone that's already had other issues.

Kinda disappointing on an otherwise awesome phone!

This is a quick fix for you guys and gals. Download the App SoundAbout. It gives you the option to control where the media,phone call etc sound comes threw. Choose speaker for Media and problem solved. Hope this helps you guys out. This website have helped me out alot and I am just trying to do my part to return the favor.

MISSESAH3

Oct 16, 2014
same problem...

I'm having the same problem and also go through Verizon yes you will get a refurbished phone. I'm pissy cuz I just paid $700 and now I'm gonna get a used phone. That's Bull****. I'm sick of these companies just taking advantage of us. Also that soundabout app did not work for mine anyways.

Roland_K

Nov 7, 2012
FIX

I'm having the same problem and also go through Verizon yes you will get a refurbished phone. I'm pissy cuz I just paid $700 and now I'm gonna get a used phone. That's Bull****. I'm sick of these companies just taking advantage of us. Also that soundabout app did not work for mine anyways.

Had the same issue and resolved it by applying a small amount of rubbing alcohol on the tip of a Q tip and twisting it in the headphone jack. You will have to remove a little of the cotton to get it to fit. There is a small censor in the headphone jack the registers that the headphones are in. Dirt from your pocket and lent get inside the hole and confuses the phone into thinking that headphones are still plugged in. Do it a few times and then blow into the hole hard to force the dirt and lent out. Best is if you have a can of air for keyboards.

I did it like three times and blew the hole and haven't had a problem since. It isn't a software issue but a small hardware issue. This is the only fix for this problem. If you want you can take it into your carrier and they will do the same for you, well at lease try.

rparrygbr

Sep 13, 2011
Southampton
HTC sent me an M8 to replace my M7 that they weren't able to repair. It intermittently has this headset problem - the icon appears and sounds get routed to a non-existent headset. Factory reset doesn't seem to help. It's just back from repair and it seems the same. I asked for a replacement as the phone is pretty much new, but they said it needs to go in for repair again! Needless to say, I'm tiring of this as it's been 2 months since I've had a reliable phone!

The only workaround that seems to work is to carry a set of headphones in my pocket and to briefly insert them when it goes into headset mode. That usually clears it, but it can appear again within minutes. I'm hoping the repair centre can fix it this time.

doogiedoogiedoogie

May 7, 2015
How to fix HTC One M8 headset icon

Ok so straight off this isn't a hardware fix. I tried cotton buds, paper clips, compressed air etc etc etc.

What does work is this - Install this, or a similar App from Play Store (SoundAbout Pro).

The App allows you to manually configure what means the phone will use for sound such as calls, media etc. Mine took effect after a reboot.

The troublesome icon will remain but the sound, and ability to make/receive calls will return.

Hope his is of use to some of you.

Reactions: dbizzy

Julio Pujada

Jul 3, 2015
Solution here

Hi folks, I just had this problem and I know the feels.
Now you don't have to worry, the solution is this:
Try using your radio built-in application over and over again. Doing this will make your mobile to search recursively for a headphone/headset signal. Since there is no headphone actually plugged in, your mobile will eventually detect that in fact, this is true and will exit that obnoxious headset mode.

Hope this can help you all guys.

Pd. I'm not sure if I used English wrong, if that happens to be the case: sry for bad English. Lol.

Sandans

Jun 16, 2016
Thanks that helped me by turning on/off the boomsound with the headphones in. I was in the middle of a phone call when my switched automatically by itself to headphones. It took me awhile to figure out what had happened.

Nof9

Nov 19, 2016
I had this problem and I never used headphones. I turned off the boom sound (settings). I inserted the headphones and then shut down my phone, pulled out the headphones and turned on the phone - and it works!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to fix HTC One M8 headset icon

Ok so straight off this isn't a hardware fix. I tried cotton buds, paper clips, compressed air etc etc etc.

What does work is this - Install this, or a similar App from Play Store (SoundAbout Pro).

The App allows you to manually configure what means the phone will use for sound such as calls, media etc. Mine took effect after a reboot.

The troublesome icon will remain but the sound, and ability to make/receive calls will return.

Hope his is of use to some of you.