[HOW TO] Fix Your Skyrocket's Battery Life

Search This thread

Jrockttu

Nov 7, 2007
I’m going to try to consolidate a lot of battery information in this thread and prioritize it. This is a WIP.

1) Check your charger first!!!
2) Fix wakelocks
3) Remove bloatware
4) Replace your battery
5) Try a new ROM

The Charger Problem

Using certain chargers causes a wakelock on your phone that prevents it from going into deep sleep. This results in roughly 10% battery attrition, regardless of activity or screen on time. Before you try anything else, you should test each of your chargers and make sure they aren’t causing a wakelock.

Do you have this problem?

Install CPU Spy from the Play Store. Open the app to see how much time your phone spends in each CPU state. If Deep Sleep is a very small percentage, or Deep Sleep doesn’t even appear, you have a problem with your charger. Follow one of the methods below to test each of your chargers.

Charger Test App

I've created an app with the sole function of reporting your charge type and current. See the thread below to download and install the app.

UPDATE: This app is now available on the Play Store for easier installation: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jellisapps.srchargertest

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=29451951#post29451951

Testing with only CPU Spy:

1) Plug your phone into the charger and turn the screen off. Leave it charging for about 30 seconds. (Don't do this with a fully charged phone, as I don't know how that affects the testing)

2) With the screen still off, unplug the phone from the charger.

3) Open CPU Spy, hit the menu button, and "Reset Timers". Turn the screen off.

4) Let the phone sit idle for a few minutes with the screen off.

5) Turn the phone back on and refresh the timers in CPU Spy (menu button again).

If Deep Sleep doesn’t appear in the list of CPU states, your phone is experiencing a wakelock brought on by the charger. It’s probably spent the majority of time at 192mhz or 384mhz.

To further confirm this, leave your phone unplugged, restart it, leave the screen off for a few minutes, and then check CPU spy again. You should now see it going into Deep Sleep.

It’s rumored that some USB cables can also cause this problem, even if used with a good charger. I have not experienced this with the cables I’ve used.

Testing with Terminal Emulator:

This method will not show the wakelock, but it will show you what charging mode the phone is in. Because I’ve identified the problematic charging mode that creates the wakelock, this method can be used to test your chargers fairly quickly. (Thanks to pj_rage)

If you have Tasker, you can download and import my Tasker profile that will check the charger when it’s connected and toast you with the charger type. It will also pop a notification if the charger will create a wakelock. Profile: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jewrvalkc7agtoz/Charger_Type.prf.xml (hat tip to Note-owner G8351427 for the Tasker idea)

1) Plug your phone into the charger you want to test.

2) Use your favorite terminal emulator (ROM Toolbox has one) to run:

cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/charging_source​

3) Look for your results:

0= No charger connected.

1= USB Normal Charge. There is 5VDC on pins 1&4 and data current is detected on 2&3

2= AC Fast Charge. AC Fast Charge. There is 5VDC on pins 1&4, and pins 2&3 are BRIDGED.

6= AC Regular Charge. This is the charge state that creates the wakelock. There is 5VDC on pins 1&4, and pins 2&3 are OPEN/DISCONNECTED.​

Thanks to SR-owner nighthawkmckenzie for additional information on charging states.

Known Workarounds:

If you can't use a proper charger, there are two known workarounds.

1) Restart your phone after charging. This is what I did for a while, until I found one of my chargers that works with the phone.

2) Plug your phone into a "Type 2" charger. If your phone is plugged into a Type 6 charger, it creates the wakelock upon disconnection. But if you plug in a Type 2, even briefly, it clears the wakelock. For example, I would charge my phone overnight on a Type 6 charger (leaving a wakelock), and then just plug it into my car charger (Type 2) for a few seconds on the way to work to eliminate the wakelock.

3) Mod your charger to bridge pins 2&3. Instructions can be found here.

4) Buy one of these adapters. I have not tested this, but Note users say that it increases the charger current for chargers without pins 2&3 bridged. Theoretically, that means it should be recognized as 2 instead of 6. Someone let me know if you try it and verify effectiveness.

5) Turn on your screen before unplugging the phone. Some users report that this works. I've been unable to get it to work for me. Try it with your charger using my testing steps above if you'd like. (This workaround is courtesy of Note-owner ultravorx)

Why This Happens:

Thanks to pj_rage's research and nighthawkmckenzie's help putting the pieces together. As stated above, the Skyrocket and the Note detect if pins 2&3 are bridged or not. It seems that, for chargers to be Apple certified, they must not bridge pins 2&3. These chargers don't cause a big problem for most phones, but they do for ours. It lowers the mA current and causes a wakelock that persists after the charger is unplugged. The wakelock I usually notice is sdio_al, which seems like it's related to I/O on the SD card. Perhaps detecting a cable connected without pins 2&3 bridged, the phone is preparing for data, then fails to terminate the wakelock.

Here is a really good thread by pj_rage with information on chargers and the Note

My phone takes FOREVER to charge!

Not all chargers are created equal. Some of them enable quick charging, while some of them do not. Plug your charger in, open your Terminal Emulator, and run this command:

cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/batt_current_adc​

Divide the result by 10 to determine the mA rate of your charger. If the result (after dividing) is close to 1000, quick charging is enabled. If the result is close to 5000, quick charging does not work with your charger.

Wakelocks That Destroy Your Battery Life

If you're not familiar with wakelocks, they're basically processes that run on your phone that prevent it from going into deep sleep. Deep sleep is the mode your phone should go into when you're not using it so that it can conserve battery. Some wakelocks are intentional, while others can be the result of rogue apps or system processes.

For an excellent and thorough guide to Wakelocks and the Skyrocket, check out this thread started by T.J. Bender.

To effectively find your wakelocks, you'll need BetterBatteryStats. It's free to us XDA users. You can get it in this thread. Read that OP for more information about wakelocks.

AudioOut_1 - Hat tip to T.J. Bender's post in this thread for information on AudioOut_1.
Settings -> Sound

Turn keytone, touch sounds, screen lock sound and vibrate on screen tap off.​

sdio_al - This is the wakelock created by your charger, detailed above in this OP.

Clean Out the Bloat

Some of the bloatware and unnecessary apps on our phones can drain battery. Here is a good thread by Earthdog that is stickied in the Themes and Apps forum that tells you what apps are safe to freeze or uninstall. I really recommend you freeze the apps in Titanium Backup and run for a few days before you uninstall. This way you won’t accidentally uninstall something your phone needs to remain stable.

We’re Gonna Need a Bigger Battery

Many Skyrocket owners (myself included) have discovered that the Verizon Galaxy Nexus extended battery works pretty well in the Skyrocket. The Skyrocket’s battery is 1850mAh, while the Nexus extended battery is 2100mAh.

Here’s the thread discussing the battery.

It costs less than $25 at a Verizon store and will add over 10% to your battery capacity. The battery is also made by Samsung and has built in NFC, just like our stock battery.

Some people report filing down the battery so that it will fit in their Skyrocket. I followed the advice of user stevenlong and took the sticker off of the outside of my extended battery. Picture of his battery is here. After this modification, it fits almost perfect. The slight bulge is not noticeable unless you’re looking for it (that’s what she said).

The Stock ROM Sucks

If you’re still unrooted and on stock Gingerbread, I feel sorry for you. What the heck are you doing on this forum if you’re scared to flash a new ROM?

This guide would be way too long if I tried to explain the battery improvements you might see by stepping up to the Stock ICS leak. You’ll probably see even more improvement if you flash one of the many custom ROMs in the Development section.

If you’re dedicated to getting the most out of your phone, spend a weekend reading the ever-loving sh*t out of the stickies in the Development forum. Only after you have read those threads and feel like you have a good understanding, backup your phone and flash a new ROM on it. As long as you’ve backed up properly, you can flash between several ROMs and choose the one that works best for you.

If you have any questions about the ROM you’re trying to flash, ask in the Q&A forum. Don’t start out by asking in the ROM’s threads, unless you’re POSITIVE that the question has not already been answered in the thread or the stickies. You did search first, right?

I can only speak to my own experience, but SKY ICS by seanzscreams has been AMAZING for battery life. I’ve really wanted to try some of the other ROMs, because they look good as well, but SKY ICS has been so good that it’s hard to think of using anything else. Try them all and see which one you like the best. Don't forget to donate a few bucks through the donate button for your favorite ROM's developer!

Last edited:

Jrockttu

Nov 7, 2007
Good reference guide from entropy

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1308030

[REF] Known identified battery drainers

Sent from my SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

That guide seems to cover Wifi and BT drain issues with the GS2. I'm not sure how similar our Wifi and BT is to theirs. Our phone hardware is closer to the T-Mobile GS2 hardware than the AT&T.

In my experience, our phone and the AT&T Note have the charger issue. I just tested my wife's AT&T GS2 and it does not have the problem. My problem charger that gives me a wakelock (and is reported as type 6) does not give her a wakelock and is reported as charger type 2.

Jrockttu

Nov 7, 2007
I'm editing the OP as I discover more and more information and perform various tests today.

I think I've discovered that the wakelock is ALWAYS caused by using an iPhone certified charger (or one that the Skyrocket thinks is iPhone certified). To be certified for iPhone, the charger must include a special circuit that identifies it as such.

I also created a Tasker profile to easily test your charger. The profile reports your charger type when you plug it in and creates a notification if your charger will cause a wakelock.

I would really appreciate if some people can test these theories out. In my experience, chargers that are reported as type 6 ALWAYS create the wakelock. Any reported as 1 or 2 do not.

ALSO: I've always used Stock and Sky ICS. Can someone on an AOSP-based ROM check a known iPhone charger to see if it reports type 2 or 6? This can help us determine if this problem only exists in the Samsung-based ROMs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bronk93

simplesid242002

Jun 20, 2010
Pittsburgh
Very good info, I checked a couple of my chargers and they were working properly. Thanx

Edit..
I just checked my car charger, bought it at at@t when I got my skyrocket. On the attached charging cable it reads 6 in term. Emulator, and if I plug a cable into the USB connection it reads 2.

Last edited:

rpr69

Dec 21, 2011
Brampton
ALSO: I've always used Stock and Sky ICS. Can someone on an AOSP-based ROM check a known iPhone charger to see if it reports type 2 or 6? This can help us determine if this problem only exists in the Samsung-based ROMs.

I am running CM9 nightly 7/7 with Instigatorx kernel, and I just tested the following chargers with the same cable:

Stock Samsung Skyrocket
Stock Motorola RAZR
Stock Palm Pre
Stock 1st gen iPad

All but the iPad report as 2, the iPad reports as 6.

Also, I tried your Tasker profile but it says it can't find /mnt/emmc/chargetype.txt

Tom

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Jrockttu

Jrockttu

Nov 7, 2007
I am running CM9 nightly 7/7 with Instigatorx kernel, and I just tested the following chargers with the same cable:

Stock Samsung Skyrocket
Stock Motorola RAZR
Stock Palm Pre
Stock 1st gen iPad

All but the iPad report as 2, the iPad reports as 6.

Also, I tried your Tasker profile but it says it can't find /mnt/emmc/chargetype.txt

Tom

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for testing.

I also flashed aokp earlier and charger behavior is the same. I wonder if this means it's a hardware problem, not software.

Chargetype.txt should be created in /mnt/sdcard/. I'll have to look as to why it works different for you. You can try changing the path for the read task in the meantime.

rpr69

Dec 21, 2011
Brampton
No worries, I just manually cat'ted the file. So far I haven't seen the charger wake lock recently on my setup, but I'm still investigating. I am seeing a lot of 'deleted_wake_locks', which may be related to my tasker profile that turns off Wifi and BT during the day.

Jrockttu

Nov 7, 2007
No worries, I just manually cat'ted the file. So far I haven't seen the charger wake lock recently on my setup, but I'm still investigating. I am seeing a lot of 'deleted_wake_locks', which may be related to my tasker profile that turns off Wifi and BT during the day.

You're not seeing the wakelock after using your iPad charger? In my experience, plugging in to a type 6 charger immediately eliminates the wakelock, even without restarting the phone. The wakelock seems tied to the last charger you used before unplugging.

skrambled

Mar 2, 2011
New Hampshire
Thank you very much for this useful post. I sometimes charge my phone using my usb port on my MacBook at home (it's a work computer--I hate Macs), and I wonder if using that port is causing a wakelock issue for me. I charge it on that and then leave my phone off the charger at night, and when I wake up my battery is usually depleted by 15% minimum by morning (running CM9 nightlies currently).

I'll test it out tonight and report back (if I remember to...which I should...lol).

Jrockttu

Nov 7, 2007
Thank you very much for this useful post. I sometimes charge my phone using my usb port on my MacBook at home (it's a work computer--I hate Macs), and I wonder if using that port is causing a wakelock issue for me. I charge it on that and then leave my phone off the charger at night, and when I wake up my battery is usually depleted by 15% minimum by morning (running CM9 nightlies currently).

I'll test it out tonight and report back (if I remember to...which I should...lol).

A 15% drain over an 8 hour period of no use seems normal to me if you have accounts syncing. If you had the wakelock, it would be more like 50-80% drain over that same time.

Your MacBook should report charger type 1 (USB charging), but please let me know if it causes the wakelock (using the CPU Spy method).

Reactions: skrambled
Nov 15, 2011
I've been using an app called Juice Defender, it's a pretty nice app that will turn off your radios while your phone is in standby mode. I can set my phone on my night stand when I go to sleep and leave it for 8 hours and get anywhere between a 7-11% percent drain. There is three levels of the app (free, pro, and ultimate)

sorry I can't link it cause of the 10 post rule

Just my two cents...

Jrockttu

Nov 7, 2007
I've been using an app called Juice Defender, it's a pretty nice app that will turn off your radios while your phone is in standby mode. I can set my phone on my night stand when I go to sleep and leave it for 8 hours and get anywhere between a 7-11% percent drain. There is three levels of the app (free, pro, and ultimate)

sorry I can't link it cause of the 10 post rule

Just my two cents...

A lot of people use Juice Defender, but the app is very polarizing. Some people claim it's made their battery last forever, while others say it's the same or worse with JD. I used it briefly on my Nexus One and didn't notice a difference. I didn't include it because of the controversy surrounding its effectiveness.

I'll look around and see if anyone has a really good thread explaining its worth and link it in my OP.

pctx

Jul 9, 2012
Portland, OR
My issues with the SR battery have been around the syncing that happens in the background. I finally got my work email down to syncing once and hour and gmail to once every 2 hours. Obviously this varies per person but I think how often the phone sync's is Androids worst enemy. With Juice Defender at least you have somewhat "universal" control over the radio's and when they connect when YOU want them to.

Whether or not you get better battery is in fact subjective to the user.

Jrockttu

Nov 7, 2007
My issues with the SR battery have been around the syncing that happens in the background. I finally got my work email down to syncing once and hour and gmail to once every 2 hours. Obviously this varies per person but I think how often the phone sync's is Androids worst enemy. With Juice Defender at least you have somewhat "universal" control over the radio's and when they connect when YOU want them to.

Whether or not you get better battery is in fact subjective to the user.

As far as I understand push email, you shouldn't see much, if any, battery improvement by delaying gmail because it's pushed, not polled. Increasing polling intervals on Exchange email will help, though.

And you're right, the biggest factor in battery life is how people use their phones. The thing I hope to accomplish with this thread is to eliminate the problems that ruin battery life regardless of how someone uses their Skyrocket.

Frogacuda

Oct 28, 2010
My charger was recognizing as 2 (AC fast charge) but I switched to OEM just to see and it does indeed seem to be idling much better and charging faster. Go figure.

I do suspect this is partly a software issue, but if using the OEM charger works, it works. Good thread.

dewaski

Jul 7, 2012
Winnipeg
Thanks for the good info! I try to monitor my usage as much as possible and once I root my phone it will be a lot more flexible, but some new stuff in here I'm gonna try out as well.

NoSpamDan

Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2012
candyroms.org
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 7T
Thank you so much for putting this together. I wrote a couple of scripts in ROM Manager to test all of my chargers, and the two Griffin dual-USB car lighter chargers I have both return a 6... After reading this thread, it's not surprising because Griffin is in bed with Apple, and pins 2 and 3 must be open to receive Apple certification. My bad, but I like the Griffin products, and think they are robust and designed well. I've used them with my iPods all along...

I unplugged my Skyrocket the other day when I went to play golf, and used my Golf Logix GPS app. I had a full charge when I started, but I noticed the charge dropping rapidly as I played, even though I kept turning the screen of constantly. By the end of a full round (18 holes), my phone was down to 14%! I figured out was the golf app and uninstalled it, but afterwards, when I checked in CPU Spy, I found that my phone never slept the whole time, even with the screen off...

Turns out, out must be the charger in my car. It's currently cracked open, awaiting my soldering iron and my 1 year old girl's next nap ;)

Thanks again!

Sent from somewhere in Galaxy SII...

whosgotlag

Feb 1, 2012
Is Juice Defender worth it? With AOKP and many other custom ROMs you get toggles for data/wifi/brightness; shouldn't manually regulating their on/off state be just as efficient (if not more) than automated control? Or am I missing some features that Juice Defender carries

T.J. Bender

Jun 25, 2012
Is Juice Defender worth it? With AOKP and many other custom ROMs you get toggles for data/wifi/brightness; shouldn't manually regulating their on/off state be just as efficient (if not more) than automated control? Or am I missing some features that Juice Defender carries

It's a simplicity thing for me. Yes, I could flash a custom ROM and configure everything manually to max my battery savings. Or, I could root the phone, freeze bloatware, and set JD up so that it handles all that for me. I'd probably have somewhat longer battery life doing it the first way (or significantly longer, depending on the ROM), but my battery life with JD is fine for my purposes, so why mess with flashing a custom ROM, the ever-present brick possibility and resetting the flash counter later when I can just root it and forget it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I’m going to try to consolidate a lot of battery information in this thread and prioritize it. This is a WIP.

1) Check your charger first!!!
    2) Fix wakelocks
    3) Remove bloatware
    4) Replace your battery
    5) Try a new ROM

The Charger Problem

Using certain chargers causes a wakelock on your phone that prevents it from going into deep sleep. This results in roughly 10% battery attrition, regardless of activity or screen on time. Before you try anything else, you should test each of your chargers and make sure they aren’t causing a wakelock.

Do you have this problem?

Install CPU Spy from the Play Store. Open the app to see how much time your phone spends in each CPU state. If Deep Sleep is a very small percentage, or Deep Sleep doesn’t even appear, you have a problem with your charger. Follow one of the methods below to test each of your chargers.

Charger Test App

I've created an app with the sole function of reporting your charge type and current. See the thread below to download and install the app.

UPDATE: This app is now available on the Play Store for easier installation: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jellisapps.srchargertest

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=29451951#post29451951

Testing with only CPU Spy:

1) Plug your phone into the charger and turn the screen off. Leave it charging for about 30 seconds. (Don't do this with a fully charged phone, as I don't know how that affects the testing)

2) With the screen still off, unplug the phone from the charger.

3) Open CPU Spy, hit the menu button, and "Reset Timers". Turn the screen off.

4) Let the phone sit idle for a few minutes with the screen off.

5) Turn the phone back on and refresh the timers in CPU Spy (menu button again).

If Deep Sleep doesn’t appear in the list of CPU states, your phone is experiencing a wakelock brought on by the charger. It’s probably spent the majority of time at 192mhz or 384mhz.

To further confirm this, leave your phone unplugged, restart it, leave the screen off for a few minutes, and then check CPU spy again. You should now see it going into Deep Sleep.

It’s rumored that some USB cables can also cause this problem, even if used with a good charger. I have not experienced this with the cables I’ve used.

Testing with Terminal Emulator:

This method will not show the wakelock, but it will show you what charging mode the phone is in. Because I’ve identified the problematic charging mode that creates the wakelock, this method can be used to test your chargers fairly quickly. (Thanks to pj_rage)

If you have Tasker, you can download and import my Tasker profile that will check the charger when it’s connected and toast you with the charger type. It will also pop a notification if the charger will create a wakelock. Profile: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jewrvalkc7agtoz/Charger_Type.prf.xml (hat tip to Note-owner G8351427 for the Tasker idea)

1) Plug your phone into the charger you want to test.

2) Use your favorite terminal emulator (ROM Toolbox has one) to run:

cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/charging_source​

3) Look for your results:

0= No charger connected.

1= USB Normal Charge. There is 5VDC on pins 1&4 and data current is detected on 2&3

2= AC Fast Charge. AC Fast Charge. There is 5VDC on pins 1&4, and pins 2&3 are BRIDGED.

6= AC Regular Charge. This is the charge state that creates the wakelock. There is 5VDC on pins 1&4, and pins 2&3 are OPEN/DISCONNECTED.​

Thanks to SR-owner nighthawkmckenzie for additional information on charging states.

Known Workarounds:

If you can't use a proper charger, there are two known workarounds.

1) Restart your phone after charging. This is what I did for a while, until I found one of my chargers that works with the phone.

2) Plug your phone into a "Type 2" charger. If your phone is plugged into a Type 6 charger, it creates the wakelock upon disconnection. But if you plug in a Type 2, even briefly, it clears the wakelock. For example, I would charge my phone overnight on a Type 6 charger (leaving a wakelock), and then just plug it into my car charger (Type 2) for a few seconds on the way to work to eliminate the wakelock.

3) Mod your charger to bridge pins 2&3. Instructions can be found here.

4) Buy one of these adapters. I have not tested this, but Note users say that it increases the charger current for chargers without pins 2&3 bridged. Theoretically, that means it should be recognized as 2 instead of 6. Someone let me know if you try it and verify effectiveness.

5) Turn on your screen before unplugging the phone. Some users report that this works. I've been unable to get it to work for me. Try it with your charger using my testing steps above if you'd like. (This workaround is courtesy of Note-owner ultravorx)

Why This Happens:

Thanks to pj_rage's research and nighthawkmckenzie's help putting the pieces together. As stated above, the Skyrocket and the Note detect if pins 2&3 are bridged or not. It seems that, for chargers to be Apple certified, they must not bridge pins 2&3. These chargers don't cause a big problem for most phones, but they do for ours. It lowers the mA current and causes a wakelock that persists after the charger is unplugged. The wakelock I usually notice is sdio_al, which seems like it's related to I/O on the SD card. Perhaps detecting a cable connected without pins 2&3 bridged, the phone is preparing for data, then fails to terminate the wakelock.

Here is a really good thread by pj_rage with information on chargers and the Note

My phone takes FOREVER to charge!

Not all chargers are created equal. Some of them enable quick charging, while some of them do not. Plug your charger in, open your Terminal Emulator, and run this command:

cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/batt_current_adc​

Divide the result by 10 to determine the mA rate of your charger. If the result (after dividing) is close to 1000, quick charging is enabled. If the result is close to 5000, quick charging does not work with your charger.

Wakelocks That Destroy Your Battery Life

If you're not familiar with wakelocks, they're basically processes that run on your phone that prevent it from going into deep sleep. Deep sleep is the mode your phone should go into when you're not using it so that it can conserve battery. Some wakelocks are intentional, while others can be the result of rogue apps or system processes.

For an excellent and thorough guide to Wakelocks and the Skyrocket, check out this thread started by T.J. Bender.

To effectively find your wakelocks, you'll need BetterBatteryStats. It's free to us XDA users. You can get it in this thread. Read that OP for more information about wakelocks.

AudioOut_1 - Hat tip to T.J. Bender's post in this thread for information on AudioOut_1.
    Settings -> Sound

Turn keytone, touch sounds, screen lock sound and vibrate on screen tap off.​

sdio_al - This is the wakelock created by your charger, detailed above in this OP.

Clean Out the Bloat

Some of the bloatware and unnecessary apps on our phones can drain battery. Here is a good thread by Earthdog that is stickied in the Themes and Apps forum that tells you what apps are safe to freeze or uninstall. I really recommend you freeze the apps in Titanium Backup and run for a few days before you uninstall. This way you won’t accidentally uninstall something your phone needs to remain stable.

We’re Gonna Need a Bigger Battery

Many Skyrocket owners (myself included) have discovered that the Verizon Galaxy Nexus extended battery works pretty well in the Skyrocket. The Skyrocket’s battery is 1850mAh, while the Nexus extended battery is 2100mAh.

Here’s the thread discussing the battery.

It costs less than $25 at a Verizon store and will add over 10% to your battery capacity. The battery is also made by Samsung and has built in NFC, just like our stock battery.

Some people report filing down the battery so that it will fit in their Skyrocket. I followed the advice of user stevenlong and took the sticker off of the outside of my extended battery. Picture of his battery is here. After this modification, it fits almost perfect. The slight bulge is not noticeable unless you’re looking for it (that’s what she said).

The Stock ROM Sucks

If you’re still unrooted and on stock Gingerbread, I feel sorry for you. What the heck are you doing on this forum if you’re scared to flash a new ROM?

This guide would be way too long if I tried to explain the battery improvements you might see by stepping up to the Stock ICS leak. You’ll probably see even more improvement if you flash one of the many custom ROMs in the Development section.

If you’re dedicated to getting the most out of your phone, spend a weekend reading the ever-loving sh*t out of the stickies in the Development forum. Only after you have read those threads and feel like you have a good understanding, backup your phone and flash a new ROM on it. As long as you’ve backed up properly, you can flash between several ROMs and choose the one that works best for you.

If you have any questions about the ROM you’re trying to flash, ask in the Q&A forum. Don’t start out by asking in the ROM’s threads, unless you’re POSITIVE that the question has not already been answered in the thread or the stickies. You did search first, right?

I can only speak to my own experience, but SKY ICS by seanzscreams has been AMAZING for battery life. I’ve really wanted to try some of the other ROMs, because they look good as well, but SKY ICS has been so good that it’s hard to think of using anything else. Try them all and see which one you like the best. Don't forget to donate a few bucks through the donate button for your favorite ROM's developer!
    Some things I've learned over the last few days of trying to get my Skyrocket's battery to cooperate:

1. The UCLF5 kernel (not radio, KERNEL) has much better CPU usage and battery life than the UCLF6 kernel does. Use Sean's modded UCLF5 for the best results. This is in my experience only, and may be significantly different for your phone.

2. Download Better Battery Stats (it's free to XDA users), learn it and use it. GSam Battery uses twice the power and doesn't give you anywhere near the same level of detail. BBS has been invaluable in resolving wakelocks, both PWL and KWL, as it shows you every single one. If there are any that seem to be troublesome, Google that wakelock, and odds are someone has instructions on how to fix it. Also, as you experiment with apps and settings, make good use of the "Set Custom Reference" feature. If your phone was wakelocked by wifi for two hours twelve hours ago and you don't custom ref, it will be difficult to compare the effects of your new setup.

3. Speaking of wakelocks, here are a couple of programs that will cause massive ones, and ways to alleviate them:
    -Google Maps. For some, clearing the app's cache after every use prevents it from sending hundreds of alarms that hold your phone awake for (potentially) hours on end. That didn't work for me, so I've frozen Google Maps and now use OSMAnd, an open-source map that's free in the Play Store, along with Waze for navigation.
    -Facebook. Even if you tell it not to, it uses a ton of juice in the background. No better than bloat, imo. Use Friendcaster instead.

4. Freeze bloat. This should not be a surprise to anyone.

5. Grab System Tuner off the Play Store. You don't need the paid version, because all you're going to do is make sure your CPU is set to a low of 192 MHz, and your governor is set to ondemand or conservative (or interactive/smartass if you're on a kernel that supports them). You'll also want to set screen off behavior to a CPU max of 384. Even if your phone does come awake, it won't freak out and jump to 1026 or something while it's supposed to be napping.

6. DO NOT USE JUICE DEFENDER, GREEN POWER OR ANY OTHER POWER-SAVING APP WITH SYSTEM TUNER. I cannot emphasize that enough. I ran Juice Defender Ultimate a couple of nights ago, and saw that battery drain was decent, then I installed System Tuner to tweak further and all hell broke loose. Wakelocks that had long-since been resolved popped up out of nowhere, battery consumption went nuts, and even after uninstalling both, it took me several hours to track them all down and fix them all--again. In my experience, System Tuner is better at prolonging your battery than Juice Defender, but if you're a JD diehard (as I was three days ago), be careful installing any type of CPU management app on top of it.

7. Are you using K-9 Mail? Might want to stop. K-9 was causing all kinds of alarms and wakelocks for me. I switched to MailDroid first, then Kaitan, and Kaitan (very much like K-9, and made by the same guy) hardly wakes my phone up at all outside of refreshing the IDLE connection.

8. Don't fudge with it so much. If you install a new power management/system tuning app, it's going to screw with your CPU (and, therefore, your battery life) for at least an hour or so. After you've had it installed for an hour, set a custom reference in BBS and let it go for four hours. If it's causing wakelock issues or nuking your battery, yeah, problem. If not, test it out for a while longer, then compare its performance to the next candidate (i.e., System Tuner vs. CPU Spy). Likewise, keep in mind that solving one wakelock will often cause another. Expect to see the "deleted_wakelocks" KWL after freezing or deleting a wakelock-heavy program. If it persists beyond a couple of hours (remember, custom reference!), reboot into recovery and wipe the cache and Dalvik, then you should be fine.

9. Which reminds me, one last piece of advice. Once you've identified the app(s) causing your wakelock woes, make sure to go into app management through settings so you can force stop them, wipe their cache and their data before freezing/uninstalling them. This is a great (though not foolproof) way to minimize the "deleted_wakelocks" issue.

I've made so many app and system-related tweaks to my phone over the past 72 hours that it's not even funny, but it was worth every second of it. When I started, I was stoked to get 20 hours of light to moderate use before the battery toasted. Now, 22 hours into a charge, I'm at 33% with 3h28m screen-on time. I strongly believe that I can push this phone well beyond 48h with my usual light-to-moderate use, and intend to do a 100% to 0% calibration run after this charge is over just to see how long it lasts.

For the record, I'm running seanzscreams' Sky ICS 4.2F6 v2.3A base with Sean's stock modded UCLF5 kernel.

Sorry for being so long-winded, but I've seen so many "I got 60 hours on a charge!" posts that don't explain how they did it that I thought it was only fair to tell everyone what worked for me.

*EDIT: Also, if you're not in an LTE area and have a ROM that let's you control radios, turn your LTE radio off and set it to HSPA/GSM only. That'll buy you some juice.
    X-posting this from the Sky JB thread in case anyone finds it useful. On SJB 3.6.1, not 4.2.

2 days up, couple periods of heavy use / testing (that nose dive on the graph was me screwing around with LTE and screen on use at a dealership). Not sure if it is a misreading but showing 0% burn over the past 8 hours while idle / sleeping and using the summary idle / screen off config at the bottom of the post. Either way that is the best idle burn I've found.

My goal here was to figure out the actual battery impact of various configurations to try and get idle (screen off) burn as low as possible. Then to create a screen on config that gives all functionality on demand. So that both battery life and usability are maximized.

Have the results in a spreadsheet if anyone is interested in the details e.g. time periods, deep sleep to awake to screen on ratios, KWL/PWLs/Alarms/. Have a BBS log from last reboot but unfortunately not from the start of the 2 day period.

Key takeaways:

Control config for comparison: Everything on - mobile data, LTE, WiFi, BT, GPS. 25% brightness. Idle burn 2.6% / H.

Test base config for comparison: WiFi, BT, GPS off. 25% 3G not LTE. Each line below is a test in addition to this config.

Sync off: Idle burn went to 6.0% / H. Turning this off seems to cause more burn than it saves as some apps go crazy.

Mobile Data off: Idle burn 0.5% / H. Turning this off when screen off seemed to have the biggest impact on burn.

WiFi on, never during sleep, idle timeout 5 minutes: Idle burn 0% / H. This seemed to be a good compromise when used with turning mobile data off while around known networks. The sleep policy helps prevent wlan wakelocks when idle, while syncing everything up when screen on, with no real impact on battery drain.

Google Now off: Idle burn 0.7% / H. Turning this off kills all the multiple maps entries under partial wakelocks in BBS. Lose the weather / traffic updates from the cards but otherwise no loss in functionality.

LTE On: 1.0% / H drain. Blanks out 2G from being selected in toggles. Had some issues with calls not coming through while mobile data was off - not sure if there is an interaction here with Rogers One Number service.

3G on / LTE off: 0.8% idle burn. Burn rate and partial wakelocks seem improved compared to LTE.

2G on: 0% / H idle burn. Phone calls seemed to come through fine. Uses the least battery of 3G, LTE.

Bluetooth on: 0.9% / H idle burn. Didn't seem to work right in the car.

GPS on: 1.3% / H idle burn. Appears to have a higher draw even when unused.

=

Test idle config for "home" situations
    - 2G on
    - LTE / Mobile Data off
    - WiFi on, never on while sleep, 5 minute timeout
    - BT on (don't want to remember to turn it on near my car)
    - GPS off

This was the config in use for the last 8 hours with 0 % drain while more or less unused.
    Good reference guide from entropy

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1308030

[REF] Known identified battery drainers

Sent from my SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1179809
    Post #2...Google is your friend

Bruno2123 has had luck with just clearing the app cache. I wasn't so lucky and wound up deleting Maps, replacing it with OSMAnd and MapQuest.

Sean's safe ROM (the one I use) has some freezable bloat left on it. I guess it depends on what you consider to be "bloat". I consider anything Google as such (aside from the store). Even on Seanz's Dragons ROM, there's a little bit of crap left over IIRC.

You have to set SystemTuner to restore those settings on boot. Tap on the "boot" button next to the governor to set that up.

It's actually Kaiten, my bad on the spelling. I've switched back to stock as an experiment and, surprisingly, it's the best-performing of the four big email apps for me...

Yeah, not to mention that I link to that BBS thread in the OP of this thread! It's in the section about wakelocks. I'm going to bold it so it's easier to see.