[Q] How to Root LG G2 on a Mac

Search This thread

cc1995

Apr 3, 2012
Does anyone here have any tools or guides on how I can achieve root on my Verizon LG G2 on my mac in terminal or via a tool like this one which seems to only be windows based: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2448887

I don't have access to a windows machine at home that I can use to get root on my LG G2. I would really appreciate it if someone could make a guide (Text or Youtube even better) or a root tool like the one I linked to above. I'm not trying to be a mac snob which I'm not...I just do a lot of design work and photo editing and have used Mac's since I find that most of the studios I deal with all use them and I need to be able to exchange files that are compatible. I would really appreciate some help with regards to doing this on my MAC. Thanks for listening and I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks again.

black05x5

Jan 14, 2011
I'm also looking for a Mac solution. I'm a long time Android user but have a Macbook. Hoping someone comes up with Mac version.

mjdupuis

Sep 3, 2010
Lafayette
I used the method by thecubed in the development section. I unzipped it and followed the adb commands in the .bat file (right click that file, open with text editor). Don't forget the part about unplugging the USB cable and disabling and then enabling debugging.

trickster2369

Feb 15, 2011
SD
I used the method by thecubed in the development section. I unzipped it and followed the adb commands in the .bat file (right click that file, open with text editor). Don't forget the part about unplugging the USB cable and disabling and then enabling debugging.

But, did you do it on a Mac?

Thank you Devs. From my LG G2.

cc1995

Apr 3, 2012
That would be great if you could post the specifics. Would really love to see how you did it.

mjdupuis

Sep 3, 2010
Lafayette
WARNING! This is just what worked for me, and it's just the adb commands from thecubed's program. All credit goes to him, I didn't do any of this, just took the info from it.

Here's the thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2448887

Download it, unzip it, and then take a moment to go back and thank him if you didn't do that.

You are not actually using his program, just the files and commands. Everything is done using Terminal and the Finder. You must have ADB working, look elsewhere for instructions on setting that up.

The files used here are the Verizon versions of the files, which I used for my phone. They are also specific to the OTA'd Verizon software, "11A" so there are different files if you haven't installed the OTA. These commands are correct, but the files being pushed aren't all the same between different carrier models and do not work with any other carrier. All the right stuff for other carriers is contained in thecubed's program.

The bold sections are files you need to send over adb, you can manually enter the file pathway or drag the files from finder into terminal after the adb commands (and before you type the destinations).

One more warning; if this is your first time using adb or terminal, I don't recommend this as your first try. It's super easy to screw something up in terminal.

Your phone must have developer options enabled and usb debugging on. plug in your phone via usb and select "Internet" and then "Ethernet."

adb push ytiruces_1a_vzw /sdcard/ytiruces_1a

Unplug usb, disable USB debugging and then re-enable it. Plug USB back in.

adb shell "mount -o remount,rw /system"

adb push su /system/xbin/su

adb shell "chown 0.0 /system/xbin/su;chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su;sync;mount -o remount,ro /system"

adb install superuser.apk

exit

dincdoes.me

May 8, 2011
Detroit
I used parallels installed Windows 7 I could have drove home and grabbed my laptop but that would have been to easy lol.

But now my mom is happy to see Windows android and osx lion on a 2009 MacBook pro I was surprised how well it went I thought I was going to have driver issues or something would go wrong but it was like I was using a straight up Windows 7 laptop. If that program was available for ubuntu a lot if people would be happy campers ?

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: dmarco

Zentac

Aug 8, 2011
I thought it would be a nightmare as obviously lg doesn't provide USB drivers for Mac. Color me surprised Mac doesn't need drivers!

Although I'm still not rooted, but that's phone version related :)

Sent from my LG-F320L using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

toddnbrown

Jul 3, 2013
Washington, D.C.
back to stock

I am needing to flash this thing back to stock so I can take it to the Verizon Store for an exchange. All I really have is a Mac.... I'd really like to know how to flash it back to stock, unrooted. I have some experience, but please be very clear as I really don't want to mess up. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help.

.BetaBoy

Aug 11, 2010
Houston
soundcloud.com
WARNING! This is just what worked for me, and it's just the adb commands from thecubed's program. All credit goes to him, I didn't do any of this, just took the info from it.

Download it, unzip it, and then take a moment to go back and thank him if you didn't do that.

You are not actually using his program, just the files and commands. Everything is done using Terminal and the Finder. You must have ADB working, look elsewhere for instructions on setting that up.

The files used here are the Verizon versions of the files, which I used for my phone. They are also specific to the OTA'd Verizon software, "11A" so there are different files if you haven't installed the OTA. These commands are correct, but the files being pushed aren't all the same between different carrier models and do not work with any other carrier. All the right stuff for other carriers is contained in thecubed's program.

The bold sections are files you need to send over adb, you can manually enter the file pathway or drag the files from finder into terminal after the adb commands (and before you type the destinations).

One more warning; if this is your first time using adb or terminal, I don't recommend this as your first try. It's super easy to screw something up in terminal.

Your phone must have developer options enabled and usb debugging on. plug in your phone via usb and select "Internet" and then "Ethernet."

adb shell "chown 0.0 /system/xbin/su;chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su;sync;mount -o remount,ro /system"

exit

you wouldnt happen to know which files in there are for the tmobile g2 would you? im also trying to root on mac.

in_dmand

Dec 1, 2010
Greenville, SC

exit

Haven't used adb before, but I'm no noob to rooting /flashing. I got adb installed and working on my computer now (running Ubuntu). After I launch adb in the terminal, then I just type these commands? (copy paste?)

mjdupuis

Sep 3, 2010
Lafayette
You could only copy and paste if you have a Verizon g2 with the ota update, if it's any other version you'll be using different files than the ones I have used.

elcapitano21

Nov 10, 2013
Two problems on mac

I'm getting two error messages. The first is a line 2 error on the g2 security. The second is 'operation not permitted' for a mount command. Anyone have any solutions?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

exit
    I used parallels installed Windows 7 I could have drove home and grabbed my laptop but that would have been to easy lol.

But now my mom is happy to see Windows android and osx lion on a 2009 MacBook pro I was surprised how well it went I thought I was going to have driver issues or something would go wrong but it was like I was using a straight up Windows 7 laptop. If that program was available for ubuntu a lot if people would be happy campers ?

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Any updates? I'm getting an error at adb shell "mount -o remound,rw /system saying Operation Not Permitted

Maybe remound --> remount ?
    Did you unplug, toggle USB debugging off and then on, and then plug it back in?