Why poor battery life after kit kat update

Search This thread

jeezy85

Nov 11, 2011
Hey

Just did a kit kat UK upgrade

I'm having such poor battery life now I'm regretting upgrading

Is anyone else having bad battery life? Any way to fix this?

Would appreciate the help

bekasulaberidze

Account currently disabled
May 17, 2013
GB
meettomy.site
Samsung Galaxy Watch 5
Hey

It's a best way to Root your phone, I had that problem, I've rooted it and installed several root apps such greenify, installed custum kernel and now it's working very fine :good:

Reactions: alexowen

antique_sonic

Aug 16, 2009
Corner of the earth
Hey

weird.
I updated my Note 3 to KK last week. I have great improvement on the battery. it can last me for 24h with 5h screen on. Something which I never seen on earlier android.
And when the device is idle (I tried idling it for 4 hours, it dropped only 2%), which is I have never seen it before as well.
And I did a test with my Note 2, with the same apps installed (Note 2 running custom ROM 4.3, and Note 3 is unrooted stock), and let it idle for another 4 hours. My note 2 dropped to 92% for idle states, and my Note 3 with KK drop only to 98%.

The KK installed on my device is NB7-DBT germany. And I just rooted this device 3 days ago, and now running on X-Note v13 for 2 days, with no problems as well.

Cheers.

Fossxp13

Oct 4, 2012
it's a common problem, i have same issue, i'll try some custom room, have tried everything recommended and no fix. good luck

sprunknwn

Jan 6, 2014
Same problem here

I have the same problem.
I've always had great battery life on the note 3 and right after the update I didn't notice any changes for the first few days.
Today I noticed that 5 minutes after I disconnect it from the overnight charge (was 100%) it dropped to 98%.
10 minutes after, after a bathroom break, it was already 95%. Now this is when it's idle.
I had some update notifications for a few applications (like 10 small apps, google apps and whatnot), started updating, took like 5 minutes, and it dropped to 90%.
Before the update the battery would've handled those without losing 5%.
In addition, when playing games, the battery drained so fast in comparison to 4.3.
Opening and exiting clash of clans (without any gameplay), took 1%-2% off the battery every time.
I know what you're thinking, something is wrong with the battery. But this is a new device, bought in January and had no problems with it before the update.

Reactions: AAPD11

Naruto101

Aug 30, 2012
yup that sounds about right

I have the same problem.
I've always had great battery life on the note 3 and right after the update I didn't notice any changes for the first few days.
Today I noticed that 5 minutes after I disconnect it from the overnight charge (was 100%) it dropped to 98%.
10 minutes after, after a bathroom break, it was already 95%. Now this is when it's idle.
I had some update notifications for a few applications (like 10 small apps, google apps and whatnot), started updating, took like 5 minutes, and it dropped to 90%.
In addition, when playing games, the battery drained so fast in comparison to 4.3.
Opening and exiting clash of clans (without any gameplay), took 1%-2% off the battery every time.
I know what you're thinking, something is wrong with the battery. But this is a new device, bought in January and had no problems with it before the update.

centerline

Jul 18, 2008
I also have horrible battery life now after the recent 4.4.2 update.
I just did a factory reset. Hopefully this helps.

nitinmits

Oct 14, 2013
Gwalior
Hey

No need to root. Just disable the apps shown in the screen shot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-03-19-20-44-41.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-19-20-44-41.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 695
  • Screenshot_2014-03-19-20-44-54.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-19-20-44-54.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 636
  • Screenshot_2014-03-19-20-44-48.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-19-20-44-48.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 579
  • Screenshot_2014-03-19-20-44-25.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-19-20-44-25.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 571
Reactions: AAPD11
E

ericastill

Mine was also dropping pretty quickly, but I found the culprit to be Google Now. I disabled "Google Location Reporting" (Google Settings/Location) and "Ok Google hotword detection" (Google Now/settings/Voice) and it seems to have stabilized.

As I understand it Maps, etc. still won't have any problem accessing my location -- Google Now just won't be able to give me location-based cards, which I am happy to give up for better battery life.

(update) After doing the above yesterday, letting the phone run all the way down, pulling the battery, recharging to 100% and clearing the cache in recovery mode my phone has only lost 7% over 6.5 hours of uptime (including about 20 minutes of music over bluetooth and some web browsing/email). I think I'd lost over 50% at this point yesterday with similar usage.

Last edited:
Mine had this, too. I could see it drop, even when just having the screen on and nothing else.

Managed to fix it:

-FACTORY RESET! It solved the top-speed drain but got me the Mediaserver bug.

Fixed that bug by:

-dropped a .nomedia file in all folders not containing things i needed to see in gallery or mediaplayer.
-turned off sync, location services and all active scanners, crawlers and widgets.
-Disabled all system sounds under settings>device>sounds>system. This fixed it for the most part.
-tried disabling mediaserver but it rendered all media invisible, so bad plan.

Back to 26h with 4h screen on, when idle i loose 1% in 11h. :)

Send From My Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 Using Tapatalk

Reactions: antique_sonic

antique_sonic

Aug 16, 2009
Corner of the earth
Mine had this, too. I could see it drop, even when just having the screen on and nothing else.

Managed to fix it:

Fixed that bug by:

-dropped a .nomedia file in all folders not containing things i needed to see in gallery or mediaplayer.
-turned off sync, location services and all active scanners, crawlers and widgets.
-Disabled all system sounds under settings>device>sounds>system. This fixed it for the most part.

What do u mean by dropped a .nomedia?

Sent from N7105, powered by DittoNote3 v.3.2 with AGNi PSN purestock v3.9.3 OC

What do u mean by dropped a .nomedia?

Sent from N7105, powered by DittoNote3 v.3.2 with AGNi PSN purestock v3.9.3 OC

A .nomedia file tells the filescanner that there are no media files in the folder, even if there are. Thus hiding the folder from it. Which in result means it won't scan the folder.

By dropping I mean placing a .nomedia file in the folder. It can be copied from several folders already on the phone.

cinciopillo

Apr 13, 2010
Bergamo
Solved

I had the same problem after the upgrade to Kit Kat.
A factory reset fix the battery drainage issue.
Now I have again 7hours of screeon on time!

Still remails the problem related to the inability to write the external SD (my Note 3 isn't rooted so I can't apply the fix you know)

nlatifolia

Jan 6, 2014
A .nomedia file tells the filescanner that there are no media files in the folder, even if there are. Thus hiding the folder from it. Which in result means it won't scan the folder.

By dropping I mean placing a .nomedia file in the folder. It can be copied from several folders already on the phone.

Is it recursive or it needs to be added on each of subfolders ?

Still remails the problem related to the inability to write the external SD (my Note 3 isn't rooted so I can't apply the fix you know)

I'm on 4.4.2 last version NC1. I use ES Explorer, never rooted, can write to Ext SD Card.

Btw, for anyone who use S-View cover and Lockscreen at the same time, I found a battery/CPU culprit here : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=51025095

Reactions: cinciopillo

One file in the main directory excludes all subfolders from the scanning process.

(Thankfully, as I have one folder with 18.000 files, half of which are folders containing stored website items... one .nomedia file in the main folder excludes them all at once.)

cinciopillo

Apr 13, 2010
Bergamo

I'm on 4.4.2 last version NC1. I use ES Explorer, never rooted, can write to Ext SD Card.

Good.
I like more Solid Explorer but ES Explorer is already using new 4.4.2 API, then it works.
I'll use it till a Solid Explorer updgrade is released.
But many other apps are "broken".
I think the best thing was to make users to be able to choice whether use or not this security option; the best would be to make the choice app by app.

theebeagler

Apr 16, 2014
battery drain after kitkat update

After installing kit kat on note 3 AT&T version I installed visual voice mail and noticed abnormal battery drain and after removing visual voice mail my battery is lasting for 12 to 14 hours on a charge with continuously using it for everything from Facebook to youtube and I use my phone continuously! My note 2 I had to purchase two extra batteries to use it the same amount of time. I hope this is helpful

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey

It's a best way to Root your phone, I had that problem, I've rooted it and installed several root apps such greenify, installed custum kernel and now it's working very fine :good:
    Same problem here

I have the same problem.
    Hey

No need to root. Just disable the apps shown in the screen shot.

Managed to fix it:

Fixed that bug by:

Btw, for anyone who use S-View cover and Lockscreen at the same time, I found a battery/CPU culprit here : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=51025095