G2 Processor faster than Nexus One?

Search This thread

carlitozway57

Mar 21, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
I constantly see references to the G2 beating the Nexus One in benchmark tests but the benchmarks always include GPU performance as part of the score. It was established before the phone came out that the GPU performance would beat just about everything else (save the Galaxy S), however that is somehow conflated with CPU performance.

Yes, the G2 can and probably will be overclocked once root is achieved but for now, apples to apples comparison:

5rUsL.jpg

Overall score is higher than Nexus One but CPU score is lower

I don't know that this is all that significant and I'd still take my G2 over a Nexus One, but please stop spreading misinformation by saying how the "Scorpion CPU pwnz the Snapdragon LOLZWTF!!!!1!!"

Attachments

• CAP201010130304.jpg
    CAP201010130304.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 234

msmith1991

Nov 17, 2008
Houston, Texas
And I'm sure once the G2 get clocked At its native speed then its gonna put your point to rest...G2 still runs faster than my nexus .. I don't care about numbers what I care about is real world performance

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

Superfrag

Jul 31, 2010
Erie
www.twitter.com
Both are Snapdragon SoC (G2 and N1), and both have Scorpion CPU's.. newer one is on a 45nm die while older is on a 65nm (lesser heat emission, lower consumption of power as a result longer battery life on the G2 thanks to the 45nm die).

CPU architecture wise there is not much difference.. the application processing however has been tweaked to perform better overall(thanks to the 45nm die I believe) and obviously as you can see the GPU, Adreno 205 thrashes the older Adreno 200..

Also the newer SoC supports more video codecs(mainly DivX actually) as well. ((MPEG-4, H.264, H.263, VC-1, DivX, DivX 3.11, Sorenson Spark, VP6) vs (MPEG-4, H.264, H.263, VC-1, Sorenson Spark, VP6).

carlitozway57

Mar 21, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
And I'm sure once the G2 get clocked At its native speed then its gonna put your point to rest

I constantly see references to the G2 beating the Nexus One in benchmark tests

Yes, the G2 can and probably will be overclocked once root is achieved but for now, apples to apples comparison

I don't know if I came across as bashing the phone. Maybe it was when I said I still prefer it over a Nexus one?

Regardless, my point wouldn't be "put to rest." For now, the CPU on the Nexus One outperforms the G2 on a benchmark. That is what I was addressing, nothing more.

Both are Snapdragon SoC (G2 and N1), and both have Scorpion CPU's.. newer one is on a 45nm die while older is on a 65nm (lesser heat emission, lower consumption of power as a result longer battery life on the G2 thanks to the 45nm die).

CPU architecture wise there is not much difference.. the application processing however has been tweaked to perform better overall(thanks to the 45nm die I believe) and obviously as you can see the GPU, Adreno 205 thrashes the older Adreno 200..

Also the newer SoC supports more video codecs(mainly DivX actually) as well. ((MPEG-4, H.264, H.263, VC-1, DivX, DivX 3.11, Sorenson Spark, VP6) vs (MPEG-4, H.264, H.263, VC-1, Sorenson Spark, VP6).

My personal experience matches what you've said exactly. Barely a hiccup running the phone and excellent battery life (relatively speaking at least). Like I said, the only thing I'm addressing is people using benchmarks which include the GPU in the score to say that the G2 processor is faster at 800mhz than the N1 at 1ghz.

Last edited:

schriss

Feb 6, 2006
Dublin
Is there anything like Adobe Flash benchmark or test page? G2 is supposed to hardware accelerate Flash.

student.driver

Feb 3, 2009
Is there anything like Adobe Flash benchmark or test page? G2 is supposed to hardware accelerate Flash.

This is particularly interesting, as the phone seems to load and scroll webpages faster than my Nexus One did with Enom's ROM. Well, the G2 is faster in everything, basically. Not by a lot, but enough to be noticeable.

SuperFly03

Mar 17, 2009
Texas
What is interesting is the obnoxiously higher IO score in the G2 compared to the N1.

I wonder what is entailed in an IO test on a phone...

Superfrag

Jul 31, 2010
Erie
www.twitter.com
Oh I forgot.

Better IO scores I believe is thanks to the fact that HTC decided to to with ext3 partition for its OS, thus having faster read/writes(I'm not sure about this.. I think its thanks to the ext3 partition)

Also yeah, like I said, the CPU architecture is similar, (very similar actually), just the overall application processing is better due to tweaks, and one guy mentioned hardware flash acceleration which I forgot to mention, and obviously the GPU. Basically its a very well refined package of the Snapdragons that were on the N1/Desire.

Next year's 3rd Gen Snapdragons will be dual core Scorpion CPU's, even better tweaking and optimization, and HUGE gpu improvement.
Qualcomm says that Adreno 220 is 4-5 times faster than Adreno 205.

Superfrag

Jul 31, 2010
Erie
www.twitter.com
My personal experience matches what you've said exactly. Barely a hiccup running the phone and excellent battery life (relatively speaking at least). Like I said, the only thing I'm addressing is people using benchmarks which include the GPU in the score to say that the G2 processor is faster at 800mhz than the N1 at 1ghz.

Yup, at stock speeds the Nexus One's CPU is faster simply due to clock speed(since they have similar architecture). BUT, thanks to the overall package, tweaking and optimization, and a better GPU, the new 2nd gen Snapdragons are extremely well refined and thus the phone runs MUCH smoother. That's why you see Linpack scores of the G2 and N1 are very similar.

o>c

Feb 24, 2010
Hong Kong
Yup, at stock speeds the Nexus One's CPU is faster simply due to clock speed(since they have similar architecture). BUT, thanks to the overall package, tweaking and optimization, and a better GPU, the new 2nd gen Snapdragons are extremely well refined and thus the phone runs MUCH smoother. That's why you see Linpack scores of the G2 and N1 are very similar.

agreed
my G2 scores 1675 in quadrant:D
smoothness comparable to iphone, but just running at 245mhz!:eek:
many people got scared of for the 800mhz mark
but I would proudly say they have underestimated that babe
running at 800mhz brings satisfactory battery stamina as well

TL24

Oct 2, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
agreed
my G2 scores 1675 in quadrant:D
smoothness comparable to iphone, but just running at 245mhz!:eek:
many people got scared of for the 800mhz mark
but I would proudly say they have underestimated that babe
running at 800mhz brings satisfactory battery stamina as well

Tell me about it, it's the smoothest Android phone out there and fastest too I might add.

Once we root and O/C this baby it'll fly! :D

Fuskand

Oct 12, 2009
Think of the difference between the N1 QSD8250 vs the G2 MSM7230 as a Core 2 Duo E6700 vs Core 2 Duo E7200 for the most part. One is older, supports slightly less instructions, but the overall architecture is the same. They just refined it a bit when they made the switch to 45nm is all.

Androidfreakz

Oct 12, 2010
I think the G2 cpu after using almost every snapdragon phone over the few months including my old nexus 1 this 800mhz cpu reminds me of the intel centrino cpus although they lower clock rates the where fast cpus from what I see and read the G2 as a package is the fastest phone on the martket. The cpu has been optimise and after going through many androids phones this one is by far the smoothest and fastest of them all in my opinion.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

[hfm]

Aug 21, 2009
NYC
I don't know that this is all that significant and I'd still take my G2 over a Nexus One, but please stop spreading misinformation by saying how the "Scorpion CPU pwnz the Snapdragon LOLZWTF!!!!1!!"

I haven't done any benchmarking but I can definitively say the G2 is far and away snappier and seems to run much smoother than the N1. It's the first time an android phone has seemed to just flow and not get in the way of itself. Granted I stopped using cooked roms when I ditched winmo, so I can't speak for CM6.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

daijoubu

Jan 23, 2010
Of course the absolute correct statement would be chipset vs chipset, not processor vs processor, but thats all semantics. You cannot compare processors vs processors when it comes to mobile devices. These are all SOCs. You cannot seperate them.

And the fact is, the G2 as a whole has better performance than the N1 as a whole. The reason why people at the first place keep harping on the fact that G2 is faster than N1 is just to make a point that being 800mhz does not mean that the phone as a whole is slower than the N1, and thus less qualified for a Gingerbread upgrade than the N1 (which in turn proves that the so called rumour of a 1Ghz requirement for Gingerbread is not logical). How can one say that just because N1 has 1Ghz proc, and the G2 has 800mhz proc, the G2 is not as qualified as the N1 to get Gingerbread (again, assuming the 1Ghz requirement) when as a whole phone its faster than the N1. So we can conclude that the 1Ghz requirement is just bull****, and that the G2 is not handicapped for having a 800mhz proc.

Sorry did i confused you? I think i confused myself :p

elracing21

Apr 11, 2009
Bronx
Some of you keep thinking the G2 has a snapdragon processor in it. It's a scorpion processor not a 2nd gen snapdragon.