Colour blending (blacks) problem

Search This thread
Anyone else notice blacks don't blend properly? I first noticed it with the gradient in the infinity wallpaper. It persists in movies too. The blacks don't blend and look pixelated. I've contacted Samsung support by email.View attachment 4451283 Screenshot_20180319-024236_YouTube.jpgScreenshot_20180319-024249_YouTube.jpgScreenshot_20180319-025451_YouTube.jpgScreenshot_20180319-025419_YouTube.jpgScreenshot_20180319-025356_YouTube.jpgScreenshot_20180319-030245_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20180319-030313_Photos.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: lmservas

GibMcFragger

Dec 23, 2010
Vancouver
Are you running at the lower resolution? If so, that may be why. Displays never look good at anything other then their default resolution, in this case WQHD+. That would explain the gradient issues you are seeing.

I have watched several videos on mine so far, and blacks, etc look great. No gradient or banding issues.

In fact, this display is much better than my Note 8. The color is more accurate, and there is no pink tinge at the top and bottom edges. There is also far less color shift when viewing at an angle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris_c81
So today then...

Went down to my local Samsung Experience store, everything went fine in there. The rep took my phone out back and came back acknowledging a fault. She then explained that as its the S9+ Hybrid, they can't exchange in store. This can only be done by contacting customer services. The rep plugged the phone in to their system, ran diagnostics and created a support ticket for me to reference when calling.

So I dialled the UK based customer services. Explained the whole thing to them. They had issues pulling up the support ticket however took my details and went through the process, had been on the phone a good 20 minutes now already. The guy then told me I had to be put through to the online shop which is based in Manilla. Took about 5 minutes to get put through. The line was terrible, and it was a struggle communicating. Had to go through the whole lot again, another 15-20 minutes to be then told I had to be put through to their technical support! So I get put on hold and then...

*hung up tone* line went silent.

I was fuming. So had to start over. Back on to the UK number, quickly rushed through the whole thing again. She said that she would speak to Manilla herself first to explain, as for an exchange, I shouldn't be getting put through to technical support. Another 5 minutes of waiting for Manilla to pick up and I'm through again. Once again, rattled through the whole issue. End result:

I have to send back my device, which can take 3-5 working days to arrive. They then have to assess the device which will take another 3-5 days before they will send out the replacement.

I was not happy about this, as I've sent my old phone off to them as part of the pre-order deal already and I'll be without a phone for the duration. I also questioned why it has to be assessed when it's already been assessed in store. She just kept repeating the "procedure" over and over. I was getting frustrated and asked to speak to a manager as I felt that it was poor customer service. A manager came on but he repeated the same. They couldn't even explain to me, why I couldn't walk in to a Samsung store and get an exchange there and then. There was zero sympathy for a customer who'd spent nearly a grand on a phone, been a Samsung customer for years.

I've little choice now. I'm just annoyed that a huge company like Samsung won't go that extra mile for a customer. My phone is my business phone as well, I can't afford to be without it for up to 14 days. Spent over an hour on call to them as well. For a simple exchange. One whole hour for them to say, "stick the return label on, take it to DPD, we'll send you a replacement in 14 days".

Have been discussing this on Android Central as well,where there is a longer discussion with a lot of people experiencing the same issue. Whats irritated me is that one person there spoke to Samsung today and they're sending him out a replacement BEFORE he has to send his faulty one back. How is it different for two customers, yet same problem!?

Reactions: billubakra

Galaxo60

May 25, 2012
PM please. I'd like to check that discussion out to.

Are you running at the lower resolution? If so, that may be why. Displays never look good at anything other then their default resolution, in this case WQHD+. That would explain the gradient issues you are seeing.

I have watched several videos on mine so far, and blacks, etc look great. No gradient or banding issues.

In fact, this display is much better than my Note 8. The color is more accurate, and there is no pink tinge at the top and bottom edges. There is also far less color shift when viewing at an angle.

What resolution are you running at? I changed from the default to max resolution and no issues here.

Saw a thread on Android Central with quite a few people commenting about it (not sure if I'm allowed to link to a separate forum).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I saw same issue with my s9+ us unlocked. Its totally unacceptable....

This problem is called "Black Crush", and was one of the many problems I experienced with my Pixel 2 XL.

It can be fixed through software updates, and the problem is only visible at low brightness, and that's why most of the people haven't noticed it.

I will put this video for you, is about the Pixel 2 XL, but is about the same problem and also they suggest an app to minimize the issue:

;)

ben-fisher-bro

Aug 14, 2012
So today then...

Went down to my local Samsung Experience store, everything went fine in there. The rep took my phone out back and came back acknowledging a fault. She then explained that as its the S9+ Hybrid, they can't exchange in store. This can only be done by contacting customer services. The rep plugged the phone in to their system, ran diagnostics and created a support ticket for me to reference when calling.

So I dialled the UK based customer services. Explained the whole thing to them. They had issues pulling up the support ticket however took my details and went through the process, had been on the phone a good 20 minutes now already. The guy then told me I had to be put through to the online shop which is based in Manilla. Took about 5 minutes to get put through. The line was terrible, and it was a struggle communicating. Had to go through the whole lot again, another 15-20 minutes to be then told I had to be put through to their technical support! So I get put on hold and then...

*hung up tone* line went silent.

I was fuming. So had to start over. Back on to the UK number, quickly rushed through the whole thing again. She said that she would speak to Manilla herself first to explain, as for an exchange, I shouldn't be getting put through to technical support. Another 5 minutes of waiting for Manilla to pick up and I'm through again. Once again, rattled through the whole issue. End result:

I have to send back my device, which can take 3-5 working days to arrive. They then have to assess the device which will take another 3-5 days before they will send out the replacement.

I was not happy about this, as I've sent my old phone off to them as part of the pre-order deal already and I'll be without a phone for the duration. I also questioned why it has to be assessed when it's already been assessed in store. She just kept repeating the "procedure" over and over. I was getting frustrated and asked to speak to a manager as I felt that it was poor customer service. A manager came on but he repeated the same. They couldn't even explain to me, why I couldn't walk in to a Samsung store and get an exchange there and then. There was zero sympathy for a customer who'd spent nearly a grand on a phone, been a Samsung customer for years.

I've little choice now. I'm just annoyed that a huge company like Samsung won't go that extra mile for a customer. My phone is my business phone as well, I can't afford to be without it for up to 14 days. Spent over an hour on call to them as well. For a simple exchange. One whole hour for them to say, "stick the return label on, take it to DPD, we'll send you a replacement in 14 days".

Have been discussing this on Android Central as well,where there is a longer discussion with a lot of people experiencing the same issue. Whats irritated me is that one person there spoke to Samsung today and they're sending him out a replacement BEFORE he has to send his faulty one back. How is it different for two customers, yet same problem!?

I wouldn't bother. I can almost guarentee your new phone is going to come back and do the same, it's an issue that came about in Android 8.0. My Nexus 6P did the same after that update.

This problem is called "Black Crush", and was one of the many problems I experienced with my Pixel 2 XL.

It can be fixed through software updates, and the problem is only visible at low brightness, and that's why most of the people haven't noticed it.

I will put this video for you, is about the Pixel 2 XL, but is about the same problem and also they suggest an app to minimize the issue:

;)
Thanks for this. Probably the most useful information I've found on the subject. The app is a good temporary fix until Samsung get an update out. The difference is immediarely noticeable.

Galaxo60

May 25, 2012
Thanks for this. Probably the most useful information I've found on the subject. The app is a good temporary fix until Samsung get an update out. The difference is immediarely noticeable.

I'm glad it helped, honestly, is just a matter of time for Samsung to fix this, because in theory it should be really easy to patch.

;)

Reactions: Chris_c81

th.android

Oct 17, 2014
I have the same issue (S9+ Single SIM) and actually created another thread about this a week ago.

For people saying it's an Oreo problem, well my S8 got the official Oreo update and still doesn't have this issue.

zizo90

Nov 25, 2009
$800 for this? I have no words...
Actually here in Dubai, the dual sim variant cost me around $950 thats for the 64gb, and this issue is so visible that i cant watch any movie with dark scenes.

I hate replacements as its not guaranteed to get a better display, and apart from this issue i really like the phone, so im really frustrated and dont know what to do but wait for a fix.

Galaxo60

May 25, 2012
$800 for this? I have no words...

Pixel 2 XL has the very exact problem, and even worse, and people are still buying it.

;)

Actually here in Dubai, the dual sim variant cost me around $950 thats for the 64gb, and this issue is so visible that i cant watch any movie with dark scenes.

I hate replacements as its not guaranteed to get a better display, and apart from this issue i really like the phone, so im really frustrated and dont know what to do but wait for a fix.

As I pointed out, you can install the app recommended in the video and try to improve it for yourself. A replacement won't do anything because is a matter of calibration, not the display itself.

;)

zizo90

Nov 25, 2009
As I pointed out, you can install the app recommended in the video and try to improve it for yourself. A replacement won't do anything because is a matter of calibration, not the display itself.

;)[/QUOTE]

I did try the app, it kind of solves the issue at the expense of contrast, better than nothing i guess. Lets wait and see what samy does.

Its kind of weird though, because otherwise the screen is flawless in my unit atleast, for the first time i got an Amoled screen with perfect white balance uniformity.

coolguy949

Nov 4, 2008
Orange County, CA
I think I have this issue as well. Last night while in bed I was watching a TV review on rtings and noticed what I thought was extreme video compression in one of their YouTube videos showing a test pattern. But then I looked at other images on the page and saw similar artifacting, compression or banding. This is very noticeable at low brightness. Even my gradient wallpaper from Samsung themes is showing tons of pixelation when transitioning to black toward the top at brightness below 40% or so. Do you guys see issues with these links below?

https://youtu.be/wg1tWXtH1zg (lots of smearing and compression here, looks horrible)

http://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/tv/sony/x900f/x900f-uniformity-local-dimming-large.jpg (I see a gray blob instead of a faint glow around the pattern)

My S7 edge never did this in over 2 years. It had a great display. I am not sure if my S9+ display is defective or if this a software issue. It seems like software but I am going to head to best buy and see if I can replicate it on another device. I am bummed I traded in my S7 and now can never get it back if this is a dealbreaker.

Is this the same issue you are experiencing?

Last edited:

Galaxo60

May 25, 2012
I think I have this issue as well. Last night while in bed I was watching a TV review on rtings and noticed what I thought was extreme video compression in one of their YouTube videos showing a test pattern. But then I looked at other images on the page and saw similar artifacting, compression or banding. This is very noticeable at low brightness. Even my gradient wallpaper from Samsung themes is showing tons of pixelation when transitioning to black toward the top at brightness below 40% or so. Do you guys see issues with these links below?

https://youtu.be/wg1tWXtH1zg (lots of smearing and compression here, looks horrible)

http://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/tv/sony/x900f/x900f-uniformity-local-dimming-large.jpg (I see a gray blob instead of a faint glow around the pattern)

My S7 edge never did this in over 2 years. It had a great display. I am not sure if my S9+ display is defective or if this a software issue. It seems like software but I am going to head to best buy and see if I can replicate it on another device. I am bummed I traded in my S7 and now can never get it back if this is a dealbreaker.

Is this the same issue you are experiencing?

This is a calibration issue, and I'm sure it will be addressed soon because many people are presenting this issue, and with many units I mean most of them.

Is only noticeable in low brightness as you pointed out, and that's why many people don't even know they have it.

I leave an image here taken from Android Central forum:

S9+ in top, S8+ in bottom.
BC.jpg

:highfive:

coolguy949

Nov 4, 2008
Orange County, CA
Interesting. I just tested my S9+ alongside my coworker's S9 regular and his doesn't do this at all. Gradients and blends show up great with no crushing even at low brightness. Could this be isolated to this larger panel? I'm going to head to Best Buy today and see if I can replicate on their S9+.

Interesting. I just tested my S9+ alongside my coworker's S9 regular and his doesn't do this at all. Gradients and blends show up great with no crushing even at low brightness. Could this be isolated to this larger panel? I'm going to head to Best Buy today and see if I can replicate on their S9+.
Definitely. I checked it against my wifes regular S9 and hers doesn't have the problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here's a video on the issue of the black crush and smear.

PM please. I'd like to check that discussion out to.

What resolution are you running at? I changed from the default to max resolution and no issues here.

Saw a thread on Android Central with quite a few people commenting about it (not sure if I'm allowed to link to a separate forum).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I saw same issue with my s9+ us unlocked. Its totally unacceptable....

;)
    ISSUE HAS BEEN FIXED! I know some are going to be skeptical due to me saying this once before, but this time it is true. :) Uploading pics right now.

Samsung are definitely aware and are assuring me that a software fix is imminent:

Dear ,
    Thank you for your email. Your customer reference number is .
    Further to your email, we already escalated your concern to our software engineers and they are already working hand in hand to develop a software fix to rectify the display issue, we sincerely apologise for inconvenience that this matter has caused you, rest assured that we will resolve this issue as soon as possible.

If you require additional support, please contact us on 0330 726 7864 (UK) or 0818 717 100 (EIRE), or respond to this email and I will be more than happy to help.

Alternatively, you can visit our Support website where you will find FAQs, How-To-Videos and other useful information for Samsung products.
    Kind regards,
    Jaden M.**
    Customer Service Representative

Why can't you post photos of the devices that don't have the issue? If you want something done about it how about doing something other than just complaining on XDA?

My biggest issue was the green grays at lower brightness levels. The blocky grays are still there (this is not black for your information, nor is it "black crush"). Please learn the terms so that the engineers over at Samsung know what we are talking about.

What we are seeing is called banding and it happens because Samsung tried to alleviate black crush by trying to get the display to show us shades of gray it apparently just cannot show (examples below); all of the grays between RGB(0,0,0) to RGB(8,8,8) are all black while everything from RGB(9,9,9)->RGB(15,15,15) is a similar shade of dark gray - there's nothing in between.

As you can see in the following picture the S9+ actually displays more information in black areas than the S7:

s9plus_vs_s7_8of8ccpng.jpg

This can be seen in this scene from the Black Panther trailer where the S9+ is trying its best to display all of the information in the frame.

s9plus_vs_s7_4of8r5rxi.jpg

Clearly no "black crush" here, it's actually the opposite; the display is showing darker grays as too bright.

The following scene was all green before and now the darker areas are actually gray as they should be (again you can clearly see here that the S9+ is showing more information in the darker areas of the image, meaning no black crush):

dscf6478_resized3cqe9.jpg

And if you read the Anandtech article and scroll to the screenshot comparisons, you'll see that even the S8 suffers from blocky blacks:
    s8_resized4rq3h.jpg

So in order for us to actually communicate this to Samsung we need to get more people to post photos of their devices showing off the issue compared to other amoled devices that don't suffer from it (blocky blacks or banding). Complaining here won't do a thing. I've contacted Samsung on twitter, facebook, email, contacted Sammobile (they ended up mentioning it here), Andrei before the review was published (he mentioned it in the article I linked to earlier), etc. so please don't just sit idly by if you want Samsung to take the issue seriously, and instead of attacking each other help in creating a helpful dialogue that could help communicate the issue to other users and Samsung alike.

Uploaded a Zip with all the screenshots and testfiles you need here.