[APP][Free] Monetal - Expense Tracker I develop 10+ years

Search This thread

nerdelicious

Dec 24, 2010
The "buy now" page on mymonetal.com says that the paid version includes budgeting, but I can't seem to find it. Could you please explain where this is located within the app and how it works?

Great app, by the way. :)

Thanks.

Reactions: danosdragon

Kruiller

Nov 8, 2014
Tbilisi, Georgia
monetal.app
Hi Jurica,
Unfortunetelly Android version doesn't have a budgets right now, its available only for WinPhone version. I develop Android version after WinPhone, and wasn't sure that this implementation is good enough. I plan to add them in the new 2017 year.

It was a lot of time since I write to xda forums, so here you are:

Today I have published new version 3.27, which has two main features.
  • I redesigned Debt page which now allows you to write old debts and loans without changing account amounts.
  • Also if you edit account and decrease amount Monetal will suggest you to create new transaction from the difference.
  • In last versions Monetal got Wallets, which allows to create account sets for every case. To create one, tap "Total" on Total panel. Its vavilable if you have more than three accounts.
  • And last great feature is account categories. Use it to split job and personal accounts, or other categories. Here is a russian video about this feature: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWlZGPLIqBA . To enable it use command line in Monetal: allowcoloredaccounts . Feel free to ask me questions about Monetal using.
Also, wish you a Happy New Year! Thank you.

-V-O-Y-A-G-E-R-

Jun 6, 2006
\dev\null -yu
www.mariotomic.com
@Kruiller I suggest that the new account categories are folded on the top right part of the + button as here they are visually in a way of the thumb when we are pressing the button. A keep thinking that I should not press that part of I don't what something dif to happen :)

Perhaps create a little coloured ribbon that would go over the top left corner of the plus button.

-V-O-Y-A-G-E-R-

Jun 6, 2006
\dev\null -yu
www.mariotomic.com
@Kruiller I wrote a lengthy post, but haven't finishedit and Tapatalk ate it :)
I noticed that you updated the part for internal transfers. I like it, but I still see that you use somewhat inverted approach to what I would expect.

Not sure if major world currencies are pegged to your local currency, but it's usually not like that elsewhere.

I would expect the exchange rates to be displayed like below

1 EUR = 124 RSD
1 EUR = 309 HUF
1 EUR = 4.5 RON

However, Monetal uses an inverted approach, expecting this

1 RSD = 0.00806451 EUR

Which is a ratio that I need to get through a calculator (or by manual tweaking :) )

Because of that, if I want to transfer say 37110 RSD from one account to EUR account, I need to multiply that amount of RSD with a 0.00806451.
And in the exchange office I just exchanged it at 1 EUR for 123.7 RSD.
Of course, mathematically it's the same, but in the real life it's not.

As an easy workaround I suggest that the arithmetic operator can also be changed, so that I'm allowed to divide 37110 RSD by 123.7 (equals 300 EUR), instead of having to multiply it with 0.00806451, to get the same result of 300 EUR.

942941aa4e82ce3c999bfb30d423927f.jpg

-V-O-Y-A-G-E-R-

Jun 6, 2006
\dev\null -yu
www.mariotomic.com
Hi @Kruiller. Remember how you told me that adding both positive and negative entries (expenses and incomes) to the same category would not be something you'd be interested and that in that case you would consider either similarly named categories (which is not that practical) or even separate wallets (which is even bigger overkill).

Tonight I had another scenario where it would be useful to have an option to have both incomes and expenses filed under the same category.

I was out for a dinner with a friend and I paid using my credit card, but he wanted to leave me some cash in return. So, now when I bill my card with let's say 100EUR under Eating Out label, and my cash flow with let's say 50 received from the friend, my monthly summary will be off by 50 EUR showing that I spend 100 EUR so far on eating out, which is not true.
Alternatively, I could bill my credit card account in the app by 50 EUR only, and then modify the current total sum deducting another 50 EUR which will not be shown as a transaction.
And then do the same with my cash wallet, increasing its value by 50 EUR manually.

So, I end up with either screwed monthly report (which defeats the purpose of the app) OR 3 transactions, which becomes a bit ridiculous, as this book keeping on my phone should not be my part time job :)

Generally, I would file this as two transactions. -100 on Eating out billed to credit card account and then the second one as +50 to cash on Eating out. That one covers both accounts and the category. I'm curious if you have similar situations and how do you or how would you sort them out?
Thanks.

nerdelicious

Dec 24, 2010
Just to check: if I want to use Monteal on two devices and sync transactions between them, and have 3+ accounts, I have to buy a licence for each device separately? Also, when I buy a new phone and migrate to it, I have to buy a new licence, I can't migrate the licence, right?

Also, is there a way to sync tags between devices? If not, please consider it a feature request.

BTW, I believe there's a bug on large screen devices (i.e. on tablets), the settings icon is replaced by a search icon.

Thanks!

Kruiller

Nov 8, 2014
Tbilisi, Georgia
monetal.app
Hi there, long time to see...
I was working hard on Monetal last years but unfortunately didn't care much about updating general documentation and information for english speaking users. Now Monetal got all general improvements and I think it's time to pause and get new users on board.
There are a lot of changes for Monetal since I last time wrote here, some of them are light theme, budgets, events accounting, special travel mode. But as I mentioned above, not everything is documented already.

I remade an official site where I plan to accumulate all information and documentation: www.mymonetal.com . The documentation page now contains more info related daily usage.
Also i started a developer blog on Medium platform and already translated two articles to english:
Budgets and custom properties
Displaying photos in transaction list
I plan to continue translating and hope to bring more articles in near future.
I propagate this forum as a general forum for english speaking users and I will track it further, so please write your questions/suggestions, I am here again. Thank you ;)

Kruiller

Nov 8, 2014
Tbilisi, Georgia
monetal.app
Hello guys!
Monetal v.4.33 is already available in Google Play and attached to the header. I fixed bug with currency conversion in transfers, added new currency UZS, and since now all requests routed by https protocols. Also there is new public mode*. Type two dots before password "..1234" to enable it. It replaces all sums to random numbers. I plan to use it to record new video what is Monetal and show its basic workflow, so it enables me to use my personal data to record it. You can use it to capture screenshots to discuss here or to show Monetal somebody else but keeping you personal information hidden. Enjoy ;)

* You can enable original public mode entering dot before password ".1234". It hides all sums in your accounts. It's useful when you need to launch Monetal in public crowded place.

Kruiller

Nov 8, 2014
Tbilisi, Georgia
monetal.app
Hi guys!
New Year is coming and it's time for a Sale! ;) Next 3 days 27, 28, 29 of December you can buy Premium Forever with 50% discount .
ps. Just open Monetal - Settings - Password and you are on Purchase screen.
happyNewYear.png

Seimus

Jun 28, 2016
Really nice app. I was looking for something like that. I hope as well you will have some sales so I can buy it permanently :)

Kruiller

Nov 8, 2014
Tbilisi, Georgia
monetal.app
Hi guys, today Monetal has 50% discount as I have promised before.
And also there is new version of Monetal v.4.36, please have a fun:
• GetLatestdate and AccountAmount in user properties (read more here)
• Fixed severals error which was able to crash app
• Bug. Sometime app showed March 2018

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Frame 56 (1).png

Monetal - The Expense Tracker

Completely free! No-Ads, no In-App purchases!

Offering a clean and intuitive interface, the application makes it super easy and fun for you to track expenses!​

1690736911434.png

Hi everybody! I am indie dev of Monetal - a powerful and user-friendly tool designed to revolutionise the way users manage their finances, helping them gain control over their financial life. Monetal is completely free app: no-Ads, no In-App purchases. Enjoy!

Why it's free?

I have a full time job as iOS dev and that is my pet project. It had in-app purchases before, but I dropped them completely and make it free because huge amount of Monetal users was facing problem since this war between Russia and Ukraine. I don’t collaborate with any company or share any user data. I don’t plan to deal with in-app purchases or ads again. May be just some sort of sponsorship, but certainly shouldn’t effect existing users.

❤️ I do my best to read every message. Please don't hesitate to leave a feedback 🤝

Google Play https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.clickland.monetal.free
    Home page: monetal.app
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/IlyaKrupko
    Hello,
    Great news, Monetal has passed moderation and is available in Google Play again ;)
    New Monetal v.3.3 is published. Please make a backup before update. As always, to support@mymonetal.com until 8 february, and you will get activation code fo FREE. Thank you!
    - Sync up to three devices
    - interface optimization
    - UYU and NIS currencies
    - resizeble widget
    - several bugs fixed
    Ok guys, Monetal needs new users, so free promo codes are available until 15 february! Try Monetal and contact with support@myMonetal.com to get activation code to unclock all features for free. Monetal needs your attention, not money. Thank you!

ps. if you want review Monetal on your blog or site don't hesitate to contact me to gethelp. Monetal was reviewed several times total and that is a great opportunity to get interesting content to your readers
    Hi! I am not sure I will implement it soon, but so far you already can import Monetal backup file .mon - it's simple txt file, use tab separator to parse it.
    Thank you, I wasn’t aware. Can you document the rows in the mon file somewhere?