[Q] Anyone else get this fastboot error when trying to flash system.img - Kindle HD

Search This thread

rjgonzalez73

Apr 24, 2012
I am trying to restore my Kindle HD to version 7.2.3 using Windows XP and when executing the fastboot command to flash the system.img I get the following error:

Code:
C:\temp\KFHD_SRT_v1.2.3>fastboot -i 0x1940 flash system system.img
load_file: could not allocate 929038336 bytes
error: cannot load 'system.img'

The system.img file is in the same directory as the fastboot.exe.

I get my Kindle into fastboot mode using a factory cable and to verify fastboot I get the product and it returnsTATE-PVT-08. I have checked the max-download-size and I get

Code:
max-download-size: 1006632960
finished. total time: 0.000s

i have tried flashing with both the factory cable and the regular USB cable and I keep getting the same error. Any thoughts on what the error means?

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
I am trying to restore my Kindle HD to version 7.2.3 using Windows XP and when executing the fastboot command to flash the system.img I get the following error:

Code:
C:\temp\KFHD_SRT_v1.2.3>fastboot -i 0x1940 flash system system.img
load_file: could not allocate 929038336 bytes
error: cannot load 'system.img'

The system.img file is in the same directory as the fastboot.exe.

I get my Kindle into fastboot mode using a factory cable and to verify fastboot I get the product and it returnsTATE-PVT-08. I have checked the max-download-size and I get

Code:
max-download-size: 1006632960
finished. total time: 0.000s

i have tried flashing with both the factory cable and the regular USB cable and I keep getting the same error. Any thoughts on what the error means?
There was another user a while back with the same problem, but I could never figure out why. Your system image is obviously smaller than the max-download size, so it doesn't make much sense to me.

From my perspective, if you can't get it to work, I would think you can (theoretically) boot into TWRP using the method found by Powerpoint45 and that would give you access to the adb shell so you can 'dd' the system image in place. I don't have an HD so I can't confirm that it will work, but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't.

That being said, I suggest you don't even attempt it unless you know exactly what you are doing.

"That's a special kind of stupid. The kind that makes me laugh."

rjgonzalez73

Apr 24, 2012
There was another user a while back with the same problem, but I could never figure out why. Your system image is obviously smaller than the max-download size, so it doesn't make much sense to me.

From my perspective, if you can't get it to work, I would think you can (theoretically) boot into TWRP using the method found by Powerpoint45 and that would give you access to the adb shell so you can 'dd' the system image in place. I don't have an HD so I can't confirm that it will work, but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't.

That being said, I suggest you don't even attempt it unless you know exactly what you are doing.

"That's a special kind of stupid. The kind that makes me laugh."

I noticed there was an error in the command I copied and pasted. The 0x1940 should be 0x1949, however I still get the same error message. I am of the opinion it is an issue with the computer I am using. I will try with a computer with Windows 7 and see if I have better results.

UPDATE: It was an issue with my XP machine. I was able to flash the system.img using a Windows 7 machine and was able to downgrade to version 7.2.1.

Last edited:

Kagari_

Mar 11, 2014
I noticed there was an error in the command I copied and pasted. The 0x1940 should be 0x1949, however I still get the same error message. I am of the opinion it is an issue with the computer I am using. I will try with a computer with Windows 7 and see if I have better results.

UPDATE: It was an issue with my XP machine. I was able to flash the system.img using a Windows 7 machine and was able to downgrade to version 7.2.1.

Sorry to revive this thread, but I'm having the same issue and I'm a little desperate.
I'm running a Vista, as are all the computers in my household.