TWRP 3.2.3-1 for Pixel Devices

Search This thread

Dees_Troy

Senior Recognized Developer
Mar 31, 2008
KC MO
www.teamw.in
TLDR: It's here and it may eat your data, and you will lose SuperSU root if currently installed. READ the install instructions carefully!

Pixel XL

Pixel

DO NOT RESTORE DATA FROM alpha builds of TWRP using RC1. You will probably lose all data including internal storage. If you need to restore a data backup from an alpha build, reinstall the alpha and restore using the alpha and make a new backup using RC1.

Note: Do not use if you have multiple users (including a guest user)

File Based Encryption (FBE) can be a bit tricky. If a restore doesn't work correctly, it can trigger an automatic wipe of your data. Sometimes TWRP will fail to prompt you to enter your password or otherwise fail to set up decrypt properly. If this happens, reboot TWRP. It seems to be some kind of timing issue and I haven't had time to track it down yet.

Pixel devices have 2 "slots" for ROMs / firmware. TWRP will detect whichever slot is currently active and use that slot for backup AND restore. There are buttons on the reboot page and under backup -> options to change slots. Changing the active slot will cause TWRP to switch which slot that TWRP is backing up or restoring. You can make a backup of slot A, switch to B, then restore the backup which will restore the backup of A to slot B. Changing the slot in TWRP also tells the bootloader to boot that slot.

The zip install method installs TWRP to both slots.

Installation:
If you already have TWRP installed: Download the latest zip and install the zip using TWRP.

If you do not already have TWRP installed: Download both the img and the zip. Copy the zip to your device. You will need to have fastboot binaries and the correct drivers installed. Power off your device completely. Hold volume down and turn on the device. Your device should now be in the bootloader. Connect the device to your PC. Open a command window and run the following command from the proper location:

fastboot boot path/to/twrp.img

This will temporarily boot TWRP on your device. If you are using a lockscreen pin/pattern/password and do not get prompted to enter your passord, reboot to the bootloader and try again. Go to install and browse to the zip and install the zip. If you are currently rooted with SuperSU, you will need to reflash the stock boot image before installing TWRP. After installing the stock boot image, follow the instructions for installing TWRP. Once TWRP is installed, grab the very latest SuperSU released on 2015-11-15 or later and install SuperSU.

If you accidently flash TWRP to your device using fastboot instead of temporarily booting the image, you will need to download the latest factory image for your device and reflash the boot image.

NOTE about 3.2.1-0: This version will decrypt Android 8.1, however the new image is built in Android 8.1 and may not be compatible with SuperSU and/or Magisk until they update their stuff. I have not tested. Good luck.

3.2.1-1 has working decrypt with the February security patch!
3.2.1-2 fixes some zip install errors
3.2.3-1 supports decrypting Android 9.0 Pie even with a pin / pattern / password set

Last edited:

zaksimmermon

Feb 11, 2016
has anyone got the zip installed? when i boot into twrp.img everything is encrypted? im 100% stock as well

Snowby123

May 15, 2015
Why does installation of this remove SuperSU?
Aren't they supposed to be used side-by-side?
And it also warns not to install if expecting important calls.
Does it prevent the phone apps from operating or what?
I understand everything else.

AddictedToB3er

Oct 7, 2013
Why does installation of this remove SuperSU?
Aren't they supposed to be used side-by-side?
And it also warns not to install if expecting important calls.
Does it prevent the phone apps from operating or what?
I understand everything else.

"In other words, Chainfire's systemless root method modifies the same binary that TWRP needs to modify in order to get data decryption working. Therefore, when you flash TWRP you are overwriting the changes made to the init binary by Chainfire's systemless root method. While this is a minor setback, thanks to the dual partition nature of the Pixel (and future devices shipping with Nougat), TWRP has some nifty new capabilities."

I'm pretty sure he's just saying dont chance something going wrong like it bootlooping or wiping data if you need your phone for something important like a phone call. Tough to answer said phonecall in a boot loop.

zaksimmermon

Feb 11, 2016
I get exactly the same. Even after several attempts at booting the img, i don't get prompted to enter the PIN / passphrase as stated in instructions hence why the data is encrypted i presume.

I finally got passed that issue. I had to flash factory images and erase everything to the point of being at setup screen. I didn't set anything up, no network or wifi, skipped Google sign in, no password and also no Google functions activated. This led to an unencrypted setup, so after turning on dev settings and Android debugging I booted up the image. Now my issue is the zip to install twrp for sailfish is corrupt and if you try to unzip it there are no files in it....I downloaded the marline zip and there are files when unzipped....

fracman

Jan 1, 2015
Guys, check out super su and root in xl thread. New Super su posted by chain fire to work with twrp.

BakedTator

Jan 8, 2011
Posted on standard pixel SU thread as well. Now if only I could make sense on the steps I need to take. This dual partition issue is throwing me off

My phone won't be here till tomorrow but as I understand it you need to use these steps (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Reboot bootloader
Fastboot boot (twrp).img
Reboot recovery
In recovery, flash the twrp flashable .zip file
Reboot recovery
Flash the SuperSU sr4.zip
Reboot
Profit????

ej_424

Apr 17, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
My phone won't be here till tomorrow but as I understand it you need to use these steps (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Reboot bootloader
Fastboot boot (twrp).img
Reboot recovery
In recovery, flash the twrp flashable .zip file
Reboot recovery
Flash the SuperSU sr4.zip
Reboot
Profit????
OK thanks, wondering if root will work with November update or of I need to roll back first. Prior to SU update today Nov update didn't work with the auto cf root

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TLDR: It's here and it may eat your data, and you will lose SuperSU root if currently installed. READ the install instructions carefully!

Pixel XL

Pixel

DO NOT RESTORE DATA FROM alpha builds of TWRP using RC1. You will probably lose all data including internal storage. If you need to restore a data backup from an alpha build, reinstall the alpha and restore using the alpha and make a new backup using RC1.

Note: Do not use if you have multiple users (including a guest user)

File Based Encryption (FBE) can be a bit tricky. If a restore doesn't work correctly, it can trigger an automatic wipe of your data. Sometimes TWRP will fail to prompt you to enter your password or otherwise fail to set up decrypt properly. If this happens, reboot TWRP. It seems to be some kind of timing issue and I haven't had time to track it down yet.

Pixel devices have 2 "slots" for ROMs / firmware. TWRP will detect whichever slot is currently active and use that slot for backup AND restore. There are buttons on the reboot page and under backup -> options to change slots. Changing the active slot will cause TWRP to switch which slot that TWRP is backing up or restoring. You can make a backup of slot A, switch to B, then restore the backup which will restore the backup of A to slot B. Changing the slot in TWRP also tells the bootloader to boot that slot.

The zip install method installs TWRP to both slots.

Installation:
    If you already have TWRP installed: Download the latest zip and install the zip using TWRP.

If you do not already have TWRP installed: Download both the img and the zip. Copy the zip to your device. You will need to have fastboot binaries and the correct drivers installed. Power off your device completely. Hold volume down and turn on the device. Your device should now be in the bootloader. Connect the device to your PC. Open a command window and run the following command from the proper location:

fastboot boot path/to/twrp.img

This will temporarily boot TWRP on your device. If you are using a lockscreen pin/pattern/password and do not get prompted to enter your passord, reboot to the bootloader and try again. Go to install and browse to the zip and install the zip. If you are currently rooted with SuperSU, you will need to reflash the stock boot image before installing TWRP. After installing the stock boot image, follow the instructions for installing TWRP. Once TWRP is installed, grab the very latest SuperSU released on 2015-11-15 or later and install SuperSU.

If you accidently flash TWRP to your device using fastboot instead of temporarily booting the image, you will need to download the latest factory image for your device and reflash the boot image.

NOTE about 3.2.1-0: This version will decrypt Android 8.1, however the new image is built in Android 8.1 and may not be compatible with SuperSU and/or Magisk until they update their stuff. I have not tested. Good luck.

3.2.1-1 has working decrypt with the February security patch!
    3.2.1-2 fixes some zip install errors
    3.2.3-1 supports decrypting Android 9.0 Pie even with a pin / pattern / password set
    How to install SuperSU SR5 on TWRP RC1: In TWRP tap on Advanced -> File Manager and scroll to and select the fstab.marlin or fstab.sailfish file and then delete it.
    SuperSU is not compatible yet with the flashable version of TWRP but Magisk is.

Is there a new TWRP? What combination doesn't work?

SuperSU has been working with all the alpha and rc builds I know of since days after their release. If there's a combo that doesn't work I don't know about it.

(Then again, I tend to boot TWRP, not flash it, so may just be an oversight)

EDIT: Found it, looking at it.
    I have TWRP 3.1.1 nearly fully working on DP4, encryption is the only thing in the way, 2e4crypt initilization failure.. :(