Inspire on straight talk

Search This thread

churro7

Jul 29, 2010
Anyone know if simply placing an st sim will enable everything?

sent from planet snarf

reck32

May 6, 2011
ST is said to use AT&T/T-Mobile towers for their GSM (Verizon for CDMA), however ST sims are locked to work only for ST devices.

reck32

May 6, 2011
Some people have done it with unlocked phones, but could never pick up the signal even though the sim was accepted.

As far as I know, just placing an ST sim in other phones wont work. You'll have to take extra steps like what akira mentioned

entropism

Jul 21, 2007
Linden, NJ
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Here's how I did it:

- Purchase a ST Nokia e71 or Nokia 6790 for $200 and a $45 prepaid month
- Unlock your Inspire
- Activate your ST phone
- Put your ST SIM in your Inspire, put the Nokia in your desk drawer and keep it safe
- Calling will now work on the Inspire, but data won't, so connect to wifi.
- Download APN Backup & Restore from the market.
- Unzip the attached file and put it on your SD card. Instructions for APN Backup & Restore is below
- Any time you change the APNs, reboot your phone TWICE. I don't know why it needs to rebooted twice, but it does. Not a huge deal, so just do it.

APN Backup & Restore instructions, taken from Howardforums' member Kalinrs:

Here is how to insert the file in your phone:

1. Download and install the APN Backup and restore app.

2. Go to it and backup whatever APNs you have (it doesn't matter how many or how they are wrong). You do this, so that the app can create a folder on your internal memory for backups. This way you can put my file there. Once you back up, the following folder will be created. The folder is: /sdcard/APNBackupRestore

3. Now you can go to APN B&R again and Delete APNs.

4. Unzip the file I attached and then use a file manager or your computer to copy the "apns-MMSand3Gwork.xml" file and paste it into that "APNBackupRestore" folder. Once there you can go back to the program and hit restore and you should be able to see the file you inserted. Select file and hit ok.

5. Reboot the phone twice after that.

6. Once the phone is back up, go to your settings -> wireless -> mobile networks -> APNs and make sure you see both APNs - HOME and MMS. HOME should be the one that is selected although it probably shouldn't matter.

After this, your data and MMS should work perfectly. I'm currently getting between 2-5mb/s down, and about 2mb/s up, which is the usual AT&T speeds in my area.

Edit - Don't **** this up for everyone else. Your service will be cut off around 2GB of data, so don't abuse this to the point where they shut it off for everyone else

Attachments

• apns-MMSand3Gwork.zip
    383 bytes · Views: 672
Reactions: mayoj7 and Simba501

newter55

Sep 14, 2010
Southern Michigan
It really depends on your situation. For someone with a single line it likely makes sense but for my family plan it would cost almost the same per month and I would give up phone subsidies, nice warranty support, etc. Subsidies alone amount to about 15/mo/line, and that assumes you never talk them into an early upgrade.

akira02rex

Nov 7, 2010
Exactly I have a family plan and already only pay $35/no.

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

PakAttack1994

Aug 17, 2008
Atlanta
using straight talk on any unlocked phone is awesome, but like newter55 said, depends on the situation. Basically ideal for someone using a single line and does not want to be tied down to a contract. If you're using a family plan, prices are pretty cheap where you dont have to go through all this. Secondly, you dont necessarily have to buy a $200 e71 or 6790 from the store. Mind you its a lot easier if you do this, but you can buy a $50 parts phone on ebay, as long as the IMEI is clean and not tied to an account.

Simba501

Feb 2, 2010
Here's how I did it:

- Unlock your Inspire
- Activate your ST phone
- Put your ST SIM in your Inspire, put the Nokia in your desk drawer and keep it safe
- Unzip the attached file and put it on your SD card. Instructions for APN Backup & Restore is below
- Any time you change the APNs, reboot your phone TWICE. I don't know why it needs to rebooted twice, but it does. Not a huge deal, so just do it.

2. Go to it and backup whatever APNs you have (it doesn't matter how many or how they are wrong). You do this, so that the app can create a folder on your internal memory for backups. This way you can put my file there. Once you back up, the following folder will be created. The folder is: /sdcard/APNBackupRestore

4. Unzip the file I attached and then use a file manager or your computer to copy the "apns-MMSand3Gwork.xml" file and paste it into that "APNBackupRestore" folder. Once there you can go back to the program and hit restore and you should be able to see the file you inserted. Select file and hit ok.

6. Once the phone is back up, go to your settings -> wireless -> mobile networks -> APNs and make sure you see both APNs - HOME and MMS. HOME should be the one that is selected although it probably shouldn't matter.

After this, your data and MMS should work perfectly. I'm currently getting between 2-5mb/s down, and about 2mb/s up, which is the usual AT&T speeds in my area.

Edit - Don't **** this up for everyone else. Your service will be cut off around 2GB of data, so don't abuse this to the point where they shut it off for everyone else

Damn, that's badass. #Winning

M.leonard2

Feb 10, 2011
Salisbury, MD
Can you use the other cheap Gsm Phones or does it have to be the nokia

Here's how I did it:

- Unlock your Inspire
- Activate your ST phone

OneStepAhead

May 2, 2009
Madison, WI
diztronic.com
The e71 is available for $99 now. I found this thread as I'm looking to hook up my Samsung Galaxy Note to Straight Talk. I'll have my e71 on Tuesday 12/14/2011 so I'll post back regarding how it went. Hope they haven't fixed this hole!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here's how I did it:

- Unlock your Inspire
    - Activate your ST phone

Just read through Straight Talk's Terms and Conditions. "F" that. Read #6. Better off with ATT.

http://www.straighttalk.com/controller.block?__blockname=straight.static.terms

Eh, doesn't bother me. I don't do any of the stuff they are telling you not to do. It's still half what I pay AT&T for me to do the same thing I did before.
    4G is nothing more then a gimic. It will not get true 4g which LTE but then the phone isnt able to use LTE at all anyway

Amen! Its amazing how few people understand that.

You will get "3.5G" lol

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using XDA App
    So far it's not much different than AT&T. Around 2-3mb down and 1mb up. I'll give it a couple of days to make sure.
    I had the Nokia E5 on straight talk for about 6 months, averaged about 2-2 1/2 gb of data a month. They also sold the phone with the WIFI hotspot preloaded so, it was a factory straight talk feature.

Long story short, im back with ATT. They canceled my service, forfeited the remaining 28 something days i had paid for and banned the IMEI of the Nokia phone to NEVER be activated again on ST. Be careful people, when asked what they considered to much data usage. I was told i used more then the average user. I spoke with managers and their managers for 3 days and couldnt get a answer on what is considered to much.