I'm new to the G-Flex but not to Android or Linux.

Search This thread

mattwheat

Oct 25, 2012
BIRMINGHAM
Just wanna introduce myself. I'm Matt, and I just picked up my G-Flex yesterday at T-Mobile. This is my first LG but not my first android. I've been rooting, unlocking, modding, theming, bricking, and recovering androids since the DROID 2 days. I'm not claiming to be a dev, but I do know my way around android/ Linux. I am a crack flashing android whore. I was on the RAZR maxx when it came with Gingerbread 2.3.4 and stuck with it through JB 4.1. Moved on to the RAZR HD MAXX on ICS 4.0.4 and followed a couple of the best devs Hashcode and Dan Rosenberg. Was one of the first to profit from Dan's RAZR HD MAXX bootloader exploit. Big props to the first ever to crack a Motorola bootloader.

Shortly after I moved on to the Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337. I can't count the soft bricks I recovered from before Loki and Odin files where released. Bad thing was my phone being rooted was able to be my hot spot, so when bricked I had no way to look up or ask questions. But I some how through trial and error recovered.

I now have the G-Flex on T-Mobile and within a few hours of purchase I'm rooted thanks to the IoRoot method. Thanks to the cat that posted the thread on here for that one in this same General Forum section. And needless to say I've already bricked it twice tonight. Just recovered it and got booted back up and set up.

With all that said, I'm not afraid of testing or helping with any development. I'm not afraid of brick, cuz I'm sure with all the talented devs on xda and myself, I will recover.
Luckily I made a back up of my build-props, system, and recovery so I was able to restore and push thru adb. Also wiped cache, dalvik, and system via adb. And reboot back to stock out of the box. But still a little puzzled how I kept root. Not complaining just puzzled.

If there is anyone working on a TWRP or CWM and Loki please message me and let me know what I can do to help. Like I said I'm not a dev and not claiming to be at all. I'm just brave. And mainly don't know where to start with porting a recovery much less Loki. But I can test and I take instruction well.

Hope I can help excited with the potential of the G-Flex....

Sent from my LG-D959 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
nice post man:good:
I think we are pretty close to a recovery here, as a few folks are working on it.
Just like any new phone, it takes awhile for it to "catch on"; especially when all the "reviewers" have been slamming this phone for various reasons.
That makes people slow down jumping on it, but this phone is really fantastic, EPIC battery, great display, fastest phone out right now, and, the more that people ignore the idiot reviewers, and grab this thing, the sooner the development will take off.

The "problem" is that it's so awesum stock out of the box, that there isnt a sense of urgency to mod it! :victory:

Reactions: mrscaligirl

Z51

Nov 28, 2006
I think we are pretty close to a recovery here, as a few folks are working on it.
Just like any new phone, it takes awhile for it to "catch on"; especially when all the "reviewers" have been slamming this phone for various reasons.
That makes people slow down jumping on it, but this phone is really fantastic, EPIC battery, great display, fastest phone out right now, and, the more that people ignore the idiot reviewers, and grab this thing, the sooner the development will take off.

The "problem" is that it's so awesum stock out of the box, that there isnt a sense of urgency to mod it! :victory:
I have no issues stock with root, i already debloated it and its running like a champ. I have the inverted mms app and am loving my phone right now.

Sent from my LG-D959 using Tapatalk

mattwheat

Oct 25, 2012
BIRMINGHAM
I'm loving it too. I'm rooted still and have installed XPOSED installer with "App Settings", "Xtheme engine beta 5"( with HUE theme) , and "Xblast" I've got the same inverted MMS. And I used APP Settings mod to changed the system UI, stock browser, and MMS ppi to 260. And used HUE theme for that AOSP blue feel. Used xblast for nav bar color change. I like the blue / Vanilla look. I guess that's cuz I'm a product of ICS and motoblur. I'm user android tweaker to speed things up a bit and to smooth out scrolling. And Android Tuner Pro to trim on boot and manage things a little. Snap dragon's Battery guru has always made a substantial difference in battery life, but its still in initial learning so I can't give a review on it for the G-Flex. But can't wait to get custom recovery for it and feel lot more comfortable diving into the modding/theming a good bit more.

I've noticed the stock launcher and settings, well really most the stock lg apps are very similar to Touchwiz. I've already tried out the Google Now launcher and "OK Google" does work from the home screen. You don't have to hit or exe any part of Google to be able to take advantage of the hot word command.

mattwheat

Oct 25, 2012
BIRMINGHAM
That's 2 million process speed test called QUICKIE BENCHMARK. 2 Million in 718 ms or .718 seconds

Attachments

• 1393272518758.jpg
    1393272518758.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 109

iamtha1

Dec 1, 2012
Well if u r willing to test head over to irc channel lgg2 get ahold of shellnutt2 and test for him on getting this bootloader unlocked.. i would but really dont have the money to buy another flex of something Went wrong. He is so close to cracking this bootloader. But he does not have this device. Thanks for intro and nice to meet u

Sent from my LG-D950 using xda app-developers app

funziebear

Mar 28, 2011
cali
I have no issues stock with root, i already debloated it and its running like a champ. I have the inverted mms app and am loving my phone right now.

Can i ask what u deleted for hot spot i need to either freeze or delete the t mobile one TIA

Z51

Nov 28, 2006
Im on AT&T so it just works for me. I deleted any and all of tmobile stuff with titanium backup

mattwheat

Oct 25, 2012
BIRMINGHAM
I I'm using an app called WIFI TETHER Beta 3.3. It seems to be working just fine. Doesn't ask or check account for subscription.

DirtyDroidX

Jan 7, 2011
Pittsburgh
Nice post @Matt. You probably seen me over @droidrzr.com , I ran the site for the first two years. I picked up the Gflex for ATT a few days ago.

TBH i love this phone. Yeah,its not running the latest version of Android and it has a few quirks however, the reviews from all over the net are killing this device imo.

Tethering, have you tried the good ole SQL hack just to see?

Sent from my LG-D950 using Tapatalk

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
fortunately, many of the smarter folks out there, that use XDA, dont pay alot of attention to what a bunch of DB reviewers think about phones..I had a one maxx b4 this, and it too was a great phone, slammed by most reviewers.

this phone is tons of fun, and we're pretty close to custom recovery,and a flood of roms.

Reactions: DirtyDroidX

mattwheat

Oct 25, 2012
BIRMINGHAM
Yes I have. The hack with SQL by going to settings storage/settings/ then change the authorization line (forgot exactly what it was called. I would know it if I saw it) from a 1 to a 0? Yeah I went looking for it. The way I understand it is they have figured out how to make that one obsolete. Seems as if its a little deeper into the their end of the monitoring rather than the phone just check account subscription. But I using the good ole "WIFI Tether beta 5" apk from a couple years ago and it seems to work. Hasn't added any more data to my WiFi tether usage. And yeah man I remember you. And droidrzr.com. those were the days when I was a crack flasher and barely knew my way around a RAZR. Don't know how many of those I bricked by not reading you couldn't install custom recovery except safe strap unless you had dev edition. Lmao. The RAZR forums always had cool devs willing to help and teach. I went to the GS4 and wow it was like a an ego fueled pissing contest between the biggest smart a$$e$ on the web. No one seemed to want to help just wanted to argue or try to point out that you don't know crap and they know it all. Glad to be out of their forums. And glad to see all these cats on the g flex forums have all been super cool and helpful.
They way it should be.

Sent from my LG-D959 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Reactions: DirtyDroidX

DirtyDroidX

Jan 7, 2011
Pittsburgh
Yeah @Matt if your not a complete moron and ask the same question over and over again peeps around here are cool.

Yeah, the razrs where the good ole days lol. I went to the note family about 2 years ago and have a note 3 too. I like the Gflex . The pure fact that we have fastboot access is a good sign. I've been talking to hashcode and a few others to see what van be done.

Also, most of the Gpro xposed stuff work on the Gflex if anyone was wondering.

yge5epe6.jpg
yma5avaq.jpg

Last edited:

Matt

Feb 4, 2012
Nottingham, UK
Yeah @Matt if your not a complete moron and ask the same question over and over again peeps around here are cool.

Yeah, the razrs where the good ole days lol. I went to the note family about 2 years ago and have a note 3 too. I like the Gflex . The pure fact that we have fastboot access is a good sign. I've been talking to hashcode and a few others to see what van be done.

Also, most of the Gpro xposed stuff work on the Gflex if anyone was wondering.

yge5epe6.jpg
yma5avaq.jpg

You mentioned me by mistake ;) I was reading the email trying to work out if you were calling me a moron and why ;D

mattwheat

Oct 25, 2012
BIRMINGHAM
Hey Matt I believe he was talking to you. Couldn't have been me. Lmao. Just messin with y'all. I just got the LG flash tool mobile support tool and kdz flash exe files set up on my pc and got the kdz file downloaded and moved to pc. Gonna try and get should of the cat shellnut2 I've heard about working on BL and custom recovery.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just wanna introduce myself. I'm Matt, and I just picked up my G-Flex yesterday at T-Mobile. This is my first LG but not my first android. I've been rooting, unlocking, modding, theming, bricking, and recovering androids since the DROID 2 days. I'm not claiming to be a dev, but I do know my way around android/ Linux. I am a crack flashing android whore. I was on the RAZR maxx when it came with Gingerbread 2.3.4 and stuck with it through JB 4.1. Moved on to the RAZR HD MAXX on ICS 4.0.4 and followed a couple of the best devs Hashcode and Dan Rosenberg. Was one of the first to profit from Dan's RAZR HD MAXX bootloader exploit. Big props to the first ever to crack a Motorola bootloader.

Shortly after I moved on to the Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337. I can't count the soft bricks I recovered from before Loki and Odin files where released. Bad thing was my phone being rooted was able to be my hot spot, so when bricked I had no way to look up or ask questions. But I some how through trial and error recovered.

I now have the G-Flex on T-Mobile and within a few hours of purchase I'm rooted thanks to the IoRoot method. Thanks to the cat that posted the thread on here for that one in this same General Forum section. And needless to say I've already bricked it twice tonight. Just recovered it and got booted back up and set up.

With all that said, I'm not afraid of testing or helping with any development. I'm not afraid of brick, cuz I'm sure with all the talented devs on xda and myself, I will recover.
    Luckily I made a back up of my build-props, system, and recovery so I was able to restore and push thru adb. Also wiped cache, dalvik, and system via adb. And reboot back to stock out of the box. But still a little puzzled how I kept root. Not complaining just puzzled.

If there is anyone working on a TWRP or CWM and Loki please message me and let me know what I can do to help. Like I said I'm not a dev and not claiming to be at all. I'm just brave. And mainly don't know where to start with porting a recovery much less Loki. But I can test and I take instruction well.

Hope I can help excited with the potential of the G-Flex....

fortunately, many of the smarter folks out there, that use XDA, dont pay alot of attention to what a bunch of DB reviewers think about phones..I had a one maxx b4 this, and it too was a great phone, slammed by most reviewers.

this phone is tons of fun, and we're pretty close to custom recovery,and a flood of roms.
    Yes I have. The hack with SQL by going to settings storage/settings/ then change the authorization line (forgot exactly what it was called. I would know it if I saw it) from a 1 to a 0? Yeah I went looking for it. The way I understand it is they have figured out how to make that one obsolete. Seems as if its a little deeper into the their end of the monitoring rather than the phone just check account subscription. But I using the good ole "WIFI Tether beta 5" apk from a couple years ago and it seems to work. Hasn't added any more data to my WiFi tether usage. And yeah man I remember you. And droidrzr.com. those were the days when I was a crack flasher and barely knew my way around a RAZR. Don't know how many of those I bricked by not reading you couldn't install custom recovery except safe strap unless you had dev edition. Lmao. The RAZR forums always had cool devs willing to help and teach. I went to the GS4 and wow it was like a an ego fueled pissing contest between the biggest smart a$$e$ on the web. No one seemed to want to help just wanted to argue or try to point out that you don't know crap and they know it all. Glad to be out of their forums. And glad to see all these cats on the g flex forums have all been super cool and helpful.
    They way it should be.