Moto G Push Notifications Delay - Assistance Needed

Search This thread

kuldeep_ch

Jul 22, 2013
Need help

Basics:
Moto G (brought in the USA - Global GSM Model)
Using it in India currently
KitKat updated

Problem:
Hangouts, whatsapp and gmail notifications delayed
Hangouts performing thje worst of all (almost delayed till 30 mins)
Whatsapp next in line with delays upto 15-20 mins
Problem predominantly occurs when using mobile data (both 2G and 3G)
On wifi, it appears fine but cant really say its perfect
But on mobile data, it works the worst

Any one else have similar issues..?

What I have tried so far but in vain:

Changing the SIM Card
In fact I have two Moto G phones with the same issue on mobile data
Factory resets
Push Notification fixer application installed with hearbeat times changed; toggled between 1 min and 28 minutes for mobile data, still the problem persists
I have no other battery saving apps installed.

I am frustrated as I didnt have this earlier with my devices on jelly Bean (I have used Samsungs and HTC first); push notifications worked like a breeze on these even with 2G

Any ideas to help me will be appreciated, I logged a case with Moto and they said they will investigate. Random google seaches proved that users have the problem with kitkat sporadically but Moto customer care says they havent heard about this at all.

Many thanks

Reactions: carlitosoe

sihag

Dec 26, 2011
Jaipur
Need help

Basics:
KitKat updated

Problem:

Changing the SIM Card
Factory resets
Push Notification fixer application installed with hearbeat times changed; toggled between 1 min and 28 minutes for mobile data, still the problem persists

I am frustrated as I didnt have this earlier with my devices on jelly Bean (I have used Samsungs and HTC first); push notifications worked like a breeze on these even with 2G

Any ideas to help me will be appreciated, I logged a case with Moto and they said they will investigate. Random google seaches proved that users have the problem with kitkat sporadically but Moto customer care says they havent heard about this at all.

Many thanks

Hmmmmm From how many days you are in India?
That's the data rate almost all network providers give here. No LTE here. Depends upon which carrier you are on? It's 3G? Don't think so.
In your case it should be the network provider and not the device for slow speeds of sync. Check if background Data restriction is not on. Tell me your state and the name of carrier. Check if any auto kill app is not active?

Last edited:
Reactions: kuldeep_ch

martikung

Dec 13, 2012
I think there maybe some ram issues, as you have many apps, yet so little of ram

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app

kuldeep_ch

Jul 22, 2013
Here you go

Thanks for pitching in guys.

I am in Hyderabad, AP and I am on airtel network 2G. The issue is till last week I was on a HTC phone with 4.1.2 and everything seemed to work well without the least delay as I am only exchanging KBs of data with simple text mostly. So, I suspect something on the software side or hardware is wrong

Tried factory resets twice

Anyone else having the same issue using push notifications..?

RAM is also fine @ around 350 MB free, so its not a spoiler I suppose.

Do you think disabling wifi optimization is going to help..?

More ideas guys will help, if none of you are having the issue, then I am left with trying out the same in 3G connection

sihag

Dec 26, 2011
Jaipur
Thanks for pitching in guys.

I am in Hyderabad, AP and I am on airtel network 2G. The issue is till last week I was on a HTC phone with 4.1.2 and everything seemed to work well without the least delay as I am only exchanging KBs of data with simple text mostly. So, I suspect something on the software side or hardware is wrong

Tried factory resets twice

Anyone else having the same issue using push notifications..?

RAM is also fine @ around 350 MB free, so its not a spoiler I suppose.

Do you think disabling wifi optimization is going to help..?

More ideas guys will help, if none of you are having the issue, then I am left with trying out the same in 3G connection

Actually the GPRS speed of Airtel is culprit dude. Try some other carrier or try atleast 3G of Airtel itself before doing a reset or downloading any app. Wi-Fi should be fine I guess? Check if you have any app that is using a proxy like ADBLOCK+ABP or any other like that.

kuldeep_ch

Jul 22, 2013
wifi

wifi is largely okay but not perfect (only hangouts is still having the issue, but its not bad). I will try 3G
Dont understand why it was working fine till a week ago with 2G and why it isnt working now !!

Actually the GPRS speed of Airtel is culprit dude. Try some other carrier or try atleast 3G of Airtel itself before doing a reset or downloading any app. Wi-Fi should be fine I guess? Check if you have any app that is using a proxy like ADBLOCK+ABP or any other like that.

kuldeep_ch

Jul 22, 2013
More updates

wifi is largely okay but not perfect (only hangouts is still having the issue, but its not bad). I will try 3G
Dont understand why it was working fine till a week ago with 2G and why it isnt working now !!

Updates today:

I have not moved to 3G data speed yet but I have changed my phone network mode to 3G. I have used an app 'Network' to access hidden settings and changed the preferred network mode to GSM auto(PRL). So far my tests confirm the push notifications are lot better, I cant complain about long delays. And I am still accessing Airtel's 2G connection

Not sure if changing the phone network settings fixed the error, but do you guys think it actually makes a difference as eventhough I am on 3G network mode on the device, I am still accessing 2Gservices.

I have contacted Airtel and made sure 3G services werent active on my number, so what the deal guys..? Any further thoughts.

Thanks

sihag

Dec 26, 2011
Jaipur
Hmmmn maybe the 3G network is a lot better than 2G and data can flow easily. But am still not sure if 3G selection in network won't change how Airtel calculates your data usage. As choosing UMTS will tell Airtel that you are no more a 2G customer. Don't rely on CC guys, they know almost near to nothing. Lodge a complaint dialing 198 about 2G data rate and see what happens.
Meanwhile I suggest please use and try a few network providers so to be sure there is no problem in device as Flipkart replacement warranty is of 30 days. Relying on Motorola service centre could be troublesome.

kuldeep_ch

Jul 22, 2013
2G speeds

Hmmmn maybe the 3G network is a lot better than 2G and data can flow easily. But am still not sure if 3G selection in network won't change how Airtel calculates your data usage. As choosing UMTS will tell Airtel that you are no more a 2G customer. Don't rely on CC guys, they know almost near to nothing. Lodge a complaint dialing 198 about 2G data rate and see what happens.
Meanwhile I suggest please use and try a few network providers so to be sure there is no problem in device as Flipkart replacement warranty is of 30 days. Relying on Motorola service centre could be troublesome.

The download speed I am getting on 2G is varying from 60KBPS to 10KBPS and the uploads are faring from 30KBPS to 5KBPS. I am noticing decrasing speeds between consecutive tests. I will get on 3G tomorrow and let you know

Dec 6, 2013
Need help

Basics:
KitKat updated

Problem:

Changing the SIM Card
Factory resets

Many thanks

Have you tried in safe mode? if you did and it's still the same I would try with a factory date reset.

blax123

Apr 4, 2010
i have the same problem with whatsapp/gmail/email/etc. on Wifi. I get notifications delayed(10min-6hours sometimes, it varies a lot) like it was on the nexus 4 for example. its horrible. I already tried wifi optimisation on/off. wifi always on. static ip adres. Nothing helped..
Android 4.4.2

Reactions: carlitosoe

carlitosoe

Feb 26, 2012
Same problem

Delayed push notifications with both wifi and mobile data.

Stock kitkat ROM.

There's plenty of 3g coverage in here.

myabc

Jan 27, 2006
try push notification fixer (pnf) on playstore. motorola moto g has this problem. no only some phones but ALL moto g have delayed notification even 3g or wifi. with that app you solve problem

coldflid

Dec 27, 2010
try push notification fixer (pnf) on playstore. motorola moto g has this problem. no only some phones but ALL moto g have delayed notification even 3g or wifi. with that app you solve problem

Hasn't solved it for me...
Anyone knows of a working solution? (maybe the fix only doesn't work on my phone but stil..)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Need help

Basics:
    KitKat updated

Problem:

Changing the SIM Card
    Factory resets

Many thanks
    Need help

Basics:
    KitKat updated

Problem:

Changing the SIM Card
    Factory resets

Many thanks

Hmmmmm From how many days you are in India?
    That's the data rate almost all network providers give here. No LTE here. Depends upon which carrier you are on? It's 3G? Don't think so.
    In your case it should be the network provider and not the device for slow speeds of sync. Check if background Data restriction is not on. Tell me your state and the name of carrier. Check if any auto kill app is not active?
    I think there maybe some ram issues, as you have many apps, yet so little of ram

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app
    Try factory reset
    There are apps on the playstore that claim to fix the push notifications, but those require root.