Wireless Hotspot hack procedure *Working*

Search This thread

trincisor

Feb 1, 2008
Nexus 7 (2013)
Asus Zenfone 5Z
Im confused really...whats wrong with using the android wifi its working fine..Does foxfi do anything special that the android wifi app doesnt?

foxfi helps when your data plan doesn't allow tethering

_MOD Edit- data used be data one could use it however one pleases, and then iphone came along and ATT asked them to selectively allow tethering on some data plans. so that they could charge more for tethering.

i think the back end of it is implemented using, APN types. Vaguely remember able to tether by setting APN type as "Default, tether". doesnt work anymore, atleast in mycase.
the APNs on my phone are locked, even if i make new APNs they keep switching back to the default ones.

since my phone is rooted there should be someway to delete network specified APNs, and use custom APNs

my guess is this should serve fine and we could just use the default android tethering on rooted phones

thoughts, guys?

Last edited by a moderator:

WinDroidGuy

Jun 23, 2012
Seattle
www.youtube.com
I did the hack, I've used it just fine on RAZR, Bionic, MAXX and a bunch of other Motorola devices.

This time when I connect any device to my MAXX HD I lose 4G until I disconnect a device.

Anyone having the same issues or have a solution? :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

qqhsiao

Nov 10, 2012
I have tried the Foxfi, and it doesn't work

I have tried the Foxfi, and it doesn't work

may i ask what other methods i could try?

RAZR HD built-in app for wifi hotspot it can be turned on and linked from other devices (tried another phone and laptop)
connected fine, but there is not internet access.

would someone please help me out here? thank you in advance. :good::good::good:

ChrisTahoe

Nov 11, 2012
I am having the same issue. My computer will connect, but have no internet access. My Nexus 7 connects with no issues however. My phone still retains 4G status, so it isn't a lack of service. I tried both FoxFi and the Settings.db hack. No luck on either. I'd love it if someone could figure this out.

xlow78

Oct 19, 2012
Did you try usb tether option? It works for me (only on ics) but foxfi works as well. Have you installed the recent update? I believe it was something like 0.7.2. I haven't, so maybe that is the cause of you not having working wifi tether.

Sent via Droid Razr Maxx HD

Last edited:

ChrisTahoe

Nov 11, 2012
Did you try usb tether option? It works for me but foxfi works as well. Have you installed the recent update? I believe it was something like 0.7.2. I haven't, so maybe that is the cause of you not having working wifi tether.

Tried it both before and after the 0.7.2 update. My Nexus 7 AND Xbox 360 will connect via WiFi Tether, but if I use my computer I can connect, but get "No Internet Access." I can however use USB tether, it's just more tedious. I've also tried going into command prompt and doing iprelease and iprenew with no luck.

For those that hacked the settings.db, have you tried this?

-snip- (new member, can't post outside links)

You should remove foxfi and any other 3rd party tethering apps before trying that .apk.

Tried it and no dice. Same issue as above.

rstlhiii

Nov 10, 2012
foxfi asking me to subscribe to plan

I still have the unlimited data, and i've rooted my razr hd maxx, plus flashed the jb leak. Foxfi asks me to subscribe to the hotspot feature through verizon. Is there a way to get around this?

syntrix

Nov 10, 2008
Little Rock, AR
I still have the unlimited data, and i've rooted my razr hd maxx, plus flashed the jb leak. Foxfi asks me to subscribe to the hotspot feature through verizon. Is there a way to get around this?
Yes, turn off entitlement as stated before.... well....

However foxfi went to a limited free model, right? I dunno, I just use a usb tether, and it works great with the entitlement hack.

The masses are uninstalling foxfi, it doesn't work on my HD for some reason... oh yeah, they said their product doesn't work on jelly bean!

qqhsiao

Nov 10, 2012
Did you try usb tether option? It works for me but foxfi works as well. Have you installed the recent update? I believe it was something like 0.7.2. I haven't, so maybe that is the cause of you not having working wifi tether.

then if settle for usb tether, i might as well just start with getting a mobile broadband dongle,:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

now i see FoxFi (WiFi Tether w/o Root) 1.95
is this the version you are talking about?

or you "forgot" to mention it has to be 0.7x version in order to use?

well, all it does to reboot my phone everytime to start wifi hotspot service

LifeAsADroid

Sep 17, 2012
Awesomeville, USA
Running JB 4.1.1 on my RMaxxHD rooted and still (as of this posting) could not get FoxFi to work. Fed up with it, used this hack procedure, and it worked beautifully. Time to put my unlimited data to work.

The best part about this hack is we've now turned a "bloatware" app into a useable app, and I can free my phone from the useless (and not bloatware itself) FoxFi, Barnicle, Wifi Tether, Open Garden, etc., etc. apps.

syntrix

Nov 10, 2008
Little Rock, AR
Running JB 4.1.1 on my RMaxxHD rooted and still (as of this posting) could not get FoxFi to work. Fed up with it, used this hack procedure, and it worked beautifully. Time to put my unlimited data to work.

The best part about this hack is we've now turned a "bloatware" app into a useable app, and I can free my phone from the useless (and not bloatware itself) FoxFi, Barnicle, Wifi Tether, Open Garden, etc., etc. apps.

Foxfi, on their play page, says it doesn't work on JB, but glad the hack worked. The free wifi tethering app was working just fine with this hack, didn't need to pay for foxfi.

lyjhd2

Mar 4, 2010
can someone help me,when i choose the correct "Settings Storage", next screen says "No databases found", tried Full Scan and Browse, nothing inside

btw, when i open sql editor, it didn't ask for superuser permition

running 4.1.1 rooted

Last edited:

princeplanet

Jan 6, 2009
I tried this:

I downloaded the latest experimental version of wifi tether 3.3-pre 2 ( http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/list).
I set the profile to "Generic ICS/JB (wlan0)".

I was able to connect to connect my Asus Transformer Infinity to my Razr HD Maxx. Any other setting wouldn't connect. I really don't use the tethering, because I only use my TF700 inside and at home, so I don't know how long it would stay tethered, or anything else for that matter.

Transmissum est ex Transformo Infinito cum Tapatalk duo

Reactions: jbeenemd

lyjhd2

Mar 4, 2010
finally, resotre 4.0, reroot the phone, update to 4.1.1, repeat every step, now it works perfect, thanks alot

canux001

Jul 29, 2009
I came across this setting after doing some searching.

APN type
default,supl,mms,dun

It is the "dun" that finally allowed data access on Mobile Hotspot for Telus.
The first time I have had add this on any of my phones to get hotspot to work!!?!!

jpetrach

Jan 6, 2013
detroit
****** UPDATE - Foxfi is no longer free - This hack still works!*******

Hi guys another poster tipped me off to the entilement hack to get the stock hotspot app working and I tried it and it works. I figured i would post it here to take care of people waiting for a foxfi update and to keep the procedure listed in the RAZR HD section. As always, use at your own risk.

Here's what you need:

SQL Lite Editor (not the manager) - it's $2.99 from the play store.

Here is the procedure:

1) Open SQL Lite Editor and in the default "Apps" list, scroll all the way down to "Settings Storage" but you must choose the one with the hammer and wrench graphic. There are two choices there - gotta be hammer and wrench. Tap on it to open.

2) Tap "settings.db" then tap "settings"

3) Scroll down to line 68 where it says "entitlement_check" and tap on it to highlight it and then tap on the pencil on the top of the screen to edit it.

4) Change the value from 1 to 0 and tap "save"

5) Use the back button to exit the app and hold the power button and reboot the phone.

When it starts back up just go into the "Mobile Hotspot" app provided by verizon and you're all set!

Hope this helps.

Will this work without root? And if not any ideas so I don't have to pay vzw

Droid RAZR HD running jelly bean stock

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ****** UPDATE - Foxfi is no longer free - This hack still works!*******

Hi guys another poster tipped me off to the entilement hack to get the stock hotspot app working and I tried it and it works. I figured i would post it here to take care of people waiting for a foxfi update and to keep the procedure listed in the RAZR HD section. As always, use at your own risk.

Here's what you need:

SQL Lite Editor (not the manager) - it's $2.99 from the play store.

Here is the procedure:

1) Open SQL Lite Editor and in the default "Apps" list, scroll all the way down to "Settings Storage" but you must choose the one with the hammer and wrench graphic. There are two choices there - gotta be hammer and wrench. Tap on it to open.

2) Tap "settings.db" then tap "settings"

3) Scroll down to line 68 where it says "entitlement_check" and tap on it to highlight it and then tap on the pencil on the top of the screen to edit it.

4) Change the value from 1 to 0 and tap "save"

5) Use the back button to exit the app and hold the power button and reboot the phone.

When it starts back up just go into the "Mobile Hotspot" app provided by verizon and you're all set!

Hope this helps.
    You talking about this mod in this thread when you say wifi tether, or something else?
    Thanks

I'm talking about the WiFi Tether app.

First root and then download v3.2 Beta 2 from here:

https://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

Then go into the app and go to settings->Change Device-Profile and choose "generic ICS/JB (wlan0)"

That seems to work best on this device (read that somewhere else on the forums.)

I'm using that method and it works great.
    Hey guys...If you go to the Google development website android-wifi-tether (Wireless Tether for Root Users) http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/ and download the apk - wifi_tether_v3_2-beta2.apk. Just go to 'Settings' > 'Change Device-Profile' > select "Generic ICS/JB (wlan0). Enter your SSID and Passphrase and it works great without having to purchase an app. Note: I have tried wifi_tether_v3_3-pre1 & 2.apk and can confirm that they do not work with VZW Razr HD XT926. Enjoy the Free Stuff!!!!:good:
    I know I'm enjoying my Razr Maxx HD.. Even though I finally had to charge it after 24+ hours of use.. Sending this post via my iPhone 5! (Don't hate, I'm an equal opportunity user)

Sent from my iPhone 5
    I am using the 'entitlement_check' workaround on my Verizon 9.18.94.XT926 (Razr Maxx HD). It is rooted but locked.

When I activate the mobile hotspot on my cell, my computer and others' phones are able to see the activate hotspot. However, my PS3 and tablet (Nexus 7) do not see my cell's hotspot. What is even more baffling, is that when I use FoxFi, the PS3 and tablet see my cell's hotspot, no problem. Does this have something to do with the DHCP settings or what? Many thanks!