[Tips]Android Studio not starting, tips here.

Search This thread

lolrenx

Jul 19, 2008
London
Hello,

I ran into a couple problems having android studio to install and work. thought I'd share my findings!

First, it wouldn't install. Not finding Java JDK even though it was installed.
This is solved by changing the name of C:\Windows\System32\Java.exe to something else before the installation.
Don't forget to change it back to java.exe once installed.

After installing Android studio, it wouldn't run (normal or admin didn't change a thing).
You will need to create a system environment variable named JDK_HOME with your JDK installation path (in my case C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_21\ ).
Android studio should now launch. (more help here )

Now that Android Studio launches, it asks for the latest android SDK
Just download and install the SDK 22 from Here

make sure you run the .exe as administrator after installation

NB :
For those having issues starting Android Studio in some Linux distros, such as Studio not finding JAVA_HOME, JDK_HOME, STUDIO_JDK, set any of those variables to the directory where Java is installed (e.g. /usr/java/jdk1.7.0_21) previously to the whole validation statements in the startup shell file (studio.sh) and everything should be fine...

Hope this saves some head scratching !

Last edited:

akkaash

Oct 7, 2012
Mumbai
After installing Android studio, it wouldn't run (normal or admin didn't change a thing).
You will need to create a system environment variable named JDK_HOME with your JDK installation path (in my case C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_21\ ). Android studion should now launch. (more help here )

worked perfectly for me. Thanks

craig@xatik

Mar 16, 2012
Twin Cities, MN
www.xatik.com
Does Android Studio requires JDK 7 or greater ?? coz i have JDK 1.6 on my Windows 7 it doesnt start up even after setting JDK_HOME or JAVA_HOME. http://xdaforums.com/images/icons/icon9.gif

It should work fine on 1.6.
Maybe it depends if you're 32bit or 64bit?

My personal setup is Windows 8 64 bit running the 64bit version of Java 1.7.

Also, for the SDK issues, if you already have the SDK installed from using Eclipse, you can just point Android Studio to that SDK under Project Settings or something (I forget the exact wording of the setting and I'm not at my computer right now...)

Gingerbread23

Mar 28, 2012
Im using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and set the JDK_HOME variable but it wont start...

/Edit: it works now.

Last edited:

13th Dev

May 23, 2012
Indore, India
If someone is just beginning app development, starting with hello world app. Would you recommend him eclipse or android studio?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Intrepid90

May 17, 2013
I'm having a small issue with Android Studio for Mac, and was wondering if anyone was running into a similar issue or has any advice.

When running my application, I'm getting an error on the install, specifically a Failure: [install_failed_invalid_apk].

I'm sure it's something really simple and elementary, but it wasn't an error I'm familiar with seeing coming from Eclipse.

richardasaurus

May 18, 2013
I'm having a small issue with Android Studio for Mac, and was wondering if anyone was running into a similar issue or has any advice.

When running my application, I'm getting an error on the install, specifically a Failure: [install_failed_invalid_apk].

I'm sure it's something really simple and elementary, but it wasn't an error I'm familiar with seeing coming from Eclipse.

I'm getting the same message on Android Studio (for Linux) :eek:

dancer_69

Jan 2, 2007
Maybe android studio is in 0.1, but is based on intellij Idea which is not new, supports android already, and seems better and faster.
I don't know how it is for an experienced developer which already know ways to move, but I started with Eclipse about a year ago, and I can say that I hate it. I've lost hours and hours to wait the very slow build process of eclipse, to wait for recover from crashes, to wait for restarts because graphical editor goes mad, to clean and reclean project so eclipse be able to see a new resource added, fix and refix layouts because graphical editor shows them completely wrong(especially on dialogs).
I don't know how android studio or intellij Idea will be(I used it for very short time until now), but I find it better, faster and maybe easier(maybe because I'm more familiar with eclipse) and I think that I will spend less time to learn it that the time I'll loose with eclipse.

Intrepid90

May 17, 2013
Fixed [INSTALL_FAILED_INVALID_APK]

Ok, so I was able to fix the [INSTALL_FAILED_INVALID_APK] error I was getting, and finally get my app running on my phone. I'm not saying this will work for everyone, but it worked for me.

When I examined Logcat, I found that my package name in the Manifest was what was giving me issues, specifically the default package name given by Android Studio on project creation. The package name in my Manifest was invalid, and did not have a "." separator. Once I corrected this, I was able to run my application.

Another error I found further down the line was that new activities do not appear to be automatically added to the Android Manifest at the moment, so keep that in mind as well.

Happy programming :)

vepman

Oct 17, 2006
A different problem, if Android studio doesn't start, could be that the studio must be run as administrator. So it was at least for me.

Last edited:
Proxy Settings for Gradle/Maven

Hi,

just tried the Android Studio using a proxy on WindowsXP.
Even if configuring the proxy in the Settings I got an error when creating a new project.

First I had to download the "gradle-1.6-bin.zip" and had to copy it to ".gradle\wrapper\dists\gradle-1.6-bin\72.....\

After that Gradle couldn't connect to the maven repository.

Solution: create a "gradle.properties" file in the ".gradle" directory
with content like this

Code:
systemProp.http.proxyHost=
systemProp.http.proxyPort=8080
systemProp.http.proxyUser=
systemProp.http.proxyPassword=

After that the first test project was generated without problems.

And even running it from the IDE and deploying/starting on my device (Galaxy Note, N7000) succeeded.

Last edited:

xdp

Nov 30, 2010
Is anyone here using this on Win 7 or 8? It has the stupid taskbar problem like Eclipse where you pin the exe, but when you launch it, it adds a second icon to the taskbar for the actual running app. What's even more ridiculous is, IntelliJ, which Android Studio basically is, doesn't have this problem! Any solutions?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

I ran into a couple problems having android studio to install and work. thought I'd share my findings!

First, it wouldn't install. Not finding Java JDK even though it was installed.
    This is solved by changing the name of C:\Windows\System32\Java.exe to something else before the installation.
    Don't forget to change it back to java.exe once installed.

You will need to create a system environment variable named JDK_HOME with your JDK installation path (in my case C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_21\ ).
    Android studio should now launch. (more help here )

Now that Android Studio launches, it asks for the latest android SDK
    Just download and install the SDK 22 from Here

make sure you run the .exe as administrator after installation

NB :
    For those having issues starting Android Studio in some Linux distros, such as Studio not finding JAVA_HOME, JDK_HOME, STUDIO_JDK, set any of those variables to the directory where Java is installed (e.g. /usr/java/jdk1.7.0_21) previously to the whole validation statements in the startup shell file (studio.sh) and everything should be fine...

Hope this saves some head scratching !
    A different problem, if Android studio doesn't start, could be that the studio must be run as administrator. So it was at least for me.
    Perfect!

Worked for me too...thanks for saving time. :good:
    Path Error

I copied the following from: stackoverflow.com/questions/17390213/android-studio-path-error
    but since i'm a new user, xda didn't let me post the link

For anyone who is having this error after installing:

Config path'C:\Program Files(x86)\Android\android-studio\config' is invalid.
    If you have modified the 'idea.config.path' property please make sure it is correct,
    otherwise please re-install the IDE.

Open this file C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-studio\bin\idea.properties.

You will see something like this:

Code:
    #---------------------------------------------------------------------
    # Uncomment this option if you want to customize path to IDE config folder. Make sure you're using forward slashes
    #idea.config.path=${user.home}/.AndroidStudioPreview/config

# Uncomment this option if you want to customize path to IDE system folder. Make sure you're using forward slashes
    #idea.system.path=${user.home}/.AndroidStudioPreview/system
    ....etc

remove the # sign from those specific options and save it.

Code:
    # Uncomment this option if you want to customize path to IDE config folder. Make sure you're using forward slashes
    idea.config.path=${user.home}/.AndroidStudioPreview/config
    ....etc

restart the android-stuido again.