[GUIDE] Speed up and customise Note 2014

Search This thread

{Diemex}

Jan 30, 2011
Germany
Root
This guide assumes that you have rooted your tablet.
Instructions to do so can be found here:

Disabling Apps
Why?
Disabling Apps can have a significant performance improvement. A lot of apps startup on boot and use a little bit of ram to cache. Disabling the apps/services you don't need will free up some of the ressources.

Instructions:
Keep the apps you need and if you are not sure rather keep an app more. You can disable a lot more if you know what you are doing. You can either disable/freeze using Titanium Backup Pro or ROM Toolbox Lite. If you do it that way the apps will still be enabled if you create a second user on your tablet. You should rename the apks to .bak in /system/app then they should be gone globally. You can do this with the free ES File Explorer, just make sure to select root "Root Explorer" under Tools and to mount /system/app as r/w through the menu you get by clicking on "Root Explorer".

This is the list of apps you can safely disable.
  • AllShare Cast Dongle S/W Update
  • AllShare ControlShare Service
  • AllShare FileShare Service
  • ANT HAL Service [ANT is needed for usb devices like Endomondo etc. If you don't have it you can disable it]
  • ANT Radio Service
  • ANT+ Plugins
  • b2b.hrs.android.lib
  • Backup
  • BlurbCheckout
  • BusinessWeek+
  • ChatOn
  • com.sec.android.app.wfdbroker
  • com.sec.enterprise.knox.attestation
  • com.sec.knox.events.manager
  • FlipBoard
  • Google Play Magazines
  • Group Play
  • Help
  • KLMS Agent
  • KNOX (29.1.1 KB)
  • KNOX (4.18 MB)
  • Knox Notification Manager
  • KNOX Store
  • My Magazine
  • My Magazine Here & Now
  • Phone
  • S Finder
  • S Translator
  • S Voice
  • Samsung Account
  • Samsung Apps
  • Samsung Apps Widget
  • Samsung Backup Provider
  • Samsung Calendar Sync Adapter
  • Samsung Cloud Data Relay
  • Samsung Cloud Quota
  • Samsung Contact Sync Adapter
  • Samsung Content Agent
  • Samsung Hub
  • Samsung Link
  • Samsung SNote3 SyncAdapter
  • Samsung Syncadapters
  • Samsung Video
  • Samsung WatchON
  • SamsungAppsUNA2
  • SamsungHub Updater
  • Screen Saver
  • Share music
  • Share Video
  • Story Album
  • Story Album Widget
  • TouchWiz Home [make sure you have another launcher installed!!!]
  • TripAdvisor
  • VideoEditor
  • VideoPlayer
  • YahooFinance

Keep these under all circumstances:
  • SystemUI :D

Other things:
Animations:
Increasing the speed of animations can make it feel faster, because you are not waiting on the animations to finish. Disabling the animations can make it feel very fast, but if you like animations you might as well keep them.
To be able to change the animation speed you first need to enable developer options:
  1. Open settings
  2. Navigate to General -> About device
  3. Tap on "Build number" 7 times
  4. You should get a notification "You are now 4,3,2,1 taps away from being a developer
  5. Open up the developer settings
  6. Scroll down to "Drawing"
  7. You can change Window/Transition/Animator animation scale. I would advise setting them to 0.5 or disabling them

Nova Launcher
This launcher is one of the fastest. If you go into "Nova Settings" under "Look and feel" you can set the "Scroll Speed" and "Animation Speed" to Faster than light. This will make the tab feel like a rocket.

Customize Apps for MultiWindow
  • Download and install the Xposed Framework
  • Open Xposed installer
  • Go into Framework
  • Select Install/Update
  • Download/Install MultiWindowManager
  • Open it and select the apps you want to be able to use in MultiWindow
  • Reboot
  • Now when you press on edit in MultiWindow you can select all your apps

Factory Resetting / Updating to newest firmware
There have been several updates from samsung which drastically increase the performance. Make sure you are on the newest available firmware. Also if you are experiencing lag or any issues it might be a good idea to start from scratch. You can search on Sammobile for your device number and download the firmwares. You can also download firmwares from other countries and flash them with Odin. For example I'm using ML1 from Taiwan atm even though I'm in Germany. Just be aware that there might be differences between the firmwares. But make 100% sure that your device number matches. You have to extract the file you downloaded and put the tar.md5 file into the "pda" slot. This will wipe your internal sd card completely, including your data, so backup because everything will be gone.

If this helped you let me know and if you have suggestions I can add them to the OP.

Last edited:

Han Solo 1

Aug 28, 2013
Awesome post, thanks!! I'm returning my Crapple Air and getting the Note 10.1 today.

First thing to do: Root.

Second thing: Follow your instructions.

vdc530

Apr 29, 2013
Excellent post dude. Definitely looking forward to putting this to good use. Thanks

Reactions: Adalean

{Diemex}

Jan 30, 2011
Germany
Awesome post, thanks!! I'm returning my Crapple Air and getting the Note 10.1 today.

You had the Note, returned it, got the Air and now are returning the Air to get the Note again? :D

How did the iPad work out for you? I didn't think it would be that great if it doesn't have a stylus.

Does anyone have the latest Xposed.apk. The links for it in the thread do not work.

The link from the thread works for me:

http://dl.xposed.info/latest.apk

The ANT stuff is safe to freeze.

Regards,
John Francis
Thanks I added it to the list.

Last edited:

Han Solo 1

Aug 28, 2013
You had the Note, returned it, got the Air and now are returning the Air to get the Note again? :D

How did the iPad work out for you? I didn't think it would be that great if it doesn't have a stylus.

Just went out on my lunch break and made the exchange at Best Buy.

iPad sucks. Yes it's fast, and the apps look good, but that's it. If you want to do any actual work on it, or watch whatever show or movie you throw at it, or really multi-task, it blows.

{Diemex}

Jan 30, 2011
Germany

iPad sucks. Yes it's fast, and the apps look good, but that's it. If you want to do any actual work on it, or watch whatever show or movie you throw at it, or really multi-task, it blows.

Cool, hope that your device will perform as well as mine when you apply the guide.

There are several limitation with iOS that make it harder to do serious work. You tried and saw for yourself... And I doubt there will be a stylus ever, I recall Steve saying at the launch event that it's easy to use, works with your finger, a pen would just add an additional layer of complexity.

ChrisNee1988

Nov 2, 2010

Yes let us know what your experiences are. I've always thought iOS was too restricting overall but with 7, they seemed to make it a bit more flexible.

Han Solo 1

Aug 28, 2013
Yes let us know what your experiences are. I've always thought iOS was too restricting overall but with 7, they seemed to make it a bit more flexible.

Well I got the Air on Friday and tried it all through today, when I finally had enough. iOS 7, in my opinion, is “prettier”, but functionally, nothing has changed.

You still need iTunes if you want to put any movies on it, you still don’t have any access to folders, and it’s generally the same walled garden it has always been.

Very happy to be back on Android.

cbdudek

Sep 10, 2010
This is an awesome guide. Just got my Note 10.1 2014 today. After I rooted, I came here to find out what I could freeze. I froze up 53 apps and installed Nova Launcher. This thing is just beastly fast. I love it. Thanks again for sharing!

dk206

Oct 8, 2010
London, United Kingdom
Without touchwiz home can you still use the stylus apps? And stylus button to bring up menus anywhere on screen? My gf note 10.1 2014 is still really slow and feel heavy even with the latest update + wipe

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

meks007

Jun 28, 2010
38585665 48

Without touchwiz home can you still use the stylus apps? And stylus button to bring up menus anywhere on screen? My gf note 10.1 2014 is still really slow and feel heavy even with the latest update + wipe

yeah, the only thing that doesn't work anymore is the weather widget from TouchWiz, everything else is separate.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Root
    This guide assumes that you have rooted your tablet.
    Instructions to do so can be found here:

Disabling Apps
    Why?
    Disabling Apps can have a significant performance improvement. A lot of apps startup on boot and use a little bit of ram to cache. Disabling the apps/services you don't need will free up some of the ressources.

Instructions:
    Keep the apps you need and if you are not sure rather keep an app more. You can disable a lot more if you know what you are doing. You can either disable/freeze using Titanium Backup Pro or ROM Toolbox Lite. If you do it that way the apps will still be enabled if you create a second user on your tablet. You should rename the apks to .bak in /system/app then they should be gone globally. You can do this with the free ES File Explorer, just make sure to select root "Root Explorer" under Tools and to mount /system/app as r/w through the menu you get by clicking on "Root Explorer".

This is the list of apps you can safely disable.
    • AllShare Cast Dongle S/W Update
    • AllShare ControlShare Service
    • AllShare FileShare Service
    • ANT HAL Service [ANT is needed for usb devices like Endomondo etc. If you don't have it you can disable it]
    • ANT Radio Service
    • ANT+ Plugins
    • b2b.hrs.android.lib
    • Backup
    • BlurbCheckout
    • BusinessWeek+
    • ChatOn
    • com.sec.android.app.wfdbroker
    • com.sec.enterprise.knox.attestation
    • com.sec.knox.events.manager
    • FlipBoard
    • Google Play Magazines
    • Group Play
    • Help
    • KLMS Agent
    • KNOX (29.1.1 KB)
    • KNOX (4.18 MB)
    • Knox Notification Manager
    • KNOX Store
    • My Magazine
    • My Magazine Here & Now
    • Phone
    • S Finder
    • S Translator
    • S Voice
    • Samsung Account
    • Samsung Apps
    • Samsung Apps Widget
    • Samsung Backup Provider
    • Samsung Calendar Sync Adapter
    • Samsung Cloud Data Relay
    • Samsung Cloud Quota
    • Samsung Contact Sync Adapter
    • Samsung Content Agent
    • Samsung Hub
    • Samsung Link
    • Samsung SNote3 SyncAdapter
    • Samsung Syncadapters
    • Samsung Video
    • Samsung WatchON
    • SamsungAppsUNA2
    • SamsungHub Updater
    • Screen Saver
    • Share music
    • Share Video
    • Story Album
    • Story Album Widget
    • TouchWiz Home [make sure you have another launcher installed!!!]
    • TripAdvisor
    • VideoEditor
    • VideoPlayer
    • YahooFinance

Keep these under all circumstances:
    • SystemUI :D

Other things:
    Animations:
    Increasing the speed of animations can make it feel faster, because you are not waiting on the animations to finish. Disabling the animations can make it feel very fast, but if you like animations you might as well keep them.
    To be able to change the animation speed you first need to enable developer options:
    1. Open settings
    2. Navigate to General -> About device
    3. Tap on "Build number" 7 times
    4. You should get a notification "You are now 4,3,2,1 taps away from being a developer
    5. Open up the developer settings
    6. Scroll down to "Drawing"
    7. You can change Window/Transition/Animator animation scale. I would advise setting them to 0.5 or disabling them

Nova Launcher
    This launcher is one of the fastest. If you go into "Nova Settings" under "Look and feel" you can set the "Scroll Speed" and "Animation Speed" to Faster than light. This will make the tab feel like a rocket.

Customize Apps for MultiWindow
    • Download and install the Xposed Framework
    • Open Xposed installer
    • Go into Framework
    • Select Install/Update
    • Download/Install MultiWindowManager
    • Open it and select the apps you want to be able to use in MultiWindow
    • Reboot
    • Now when you press on edit in MultiWindow you can select all your apps

Factory Resetting / Updating to newest firmware
    There have been several updates from samsung which drastically increase the performance. Make sure you are on the newest available firmware. Also if you are experiencing lag or any issues it might be a good idea to start from scratch. You can search on Sammobile for your device number and download the firmwares. You can also download firmwares from other countries and flash them with Odin. For example I'm using ML1 from Taiwan atm even though I'm in Germany. Just be aware that there might be differences between the firmwares. But make 100% sure that your device number matches. You have to extract the file you downloaded and put the tar.md5 file into the "pda" slot. This will wipe your internal sd card completely, including your data, so backup because everything will be gone.

If this helped you let me know and if you have suggestions I can add them to the OP.

Well I got the Air on Friday and tried it all through today, when I finally had enough. iOS 7, in my opinion, is “prettier”, but functionally, nothing has changed.

You still need iTunes if you want to put any movies on it, you still don’t have any access to folders, and it’s generally the same walled garden it has always been.

Very happy to be back on Android.
    This tablet is just goddam slow as hell....I'll never buy a samsung tablet again...so slow and so cluttered..3GB ram?! Where is the improvement over other tablets...so disappointing

Didnt lag for me. I didnt root either, dont know what all people do with their tablet....

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    does any one know how to root P601 version..............

Here,

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2540191

Just rooted mine yesterday :)

Get the updates then factory reset it before you get it all set up.