[Q] Why root the chromecast ?

Search This thread

sailindawg

May 13, 2012
Yep. The problem in trying to solve is stream movies/content to a tv in a cottage that has no internet or cell service. Nice vacation spot but off the grid. I know i can bring a laptop, but I'd rather just bring my phone & travel more lightly.

Last edited:

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Yep. The problem in trying to solve is stream movies/content to a tv in a cottage that has no internet or cell service. Nice vacation spot but off the grid. I know i can bring a laptop, but I'd rather just bring my phone & travel more lightly.

Well it's just a matter of using the right tool for the right job....
Unfortunately the CCast is not the right tool for that situation!
And truth is neither is the Phone if it has no Cell Service.

In that situation you need a mobile device that has a separate HDMI and USB Port and the proper cabling so you can just plug the Phone HDMI into the TV and load the Video from the USB drive. (you need a special cable to plug a drive in)

I have an old Xoom Tablet with HDMI Docking station I use for those situations which has a VERY OLD version of XBMC on it. The 2TB USB drive has all the media on it and I control it from my phone using Yatse Remote.

I rarely use it since I also in most cases have a Laptop with me for work reasons that serves the same purpose as the Xoom.

simi17m

Nov 29, 2019
i might be offtopic here, but i recently bought a Chromecast 3 to use it with a projector in a church (to display the song lyrics) and i cannot find an app that allows me to project "pptx" format or other slide-show format. Is there any app that does that? all the apps that i found let me share my screen but that's not what i'm looking for ( i don't want to stop my projector everytime i'm searching something on phone, or if i get a notification, i don't want everyone to see it).
Thank you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You're on xda, so I'll offer my favorite answer.

Why not? :)
    So back to the question of "why". Are there any firmware improvements on missing features available like?

- remembering more than one WLAN password
    - the ability to mirror and stream content from a device via direct connection without the need of a local WLAN
    - support for more file types

No but here is a short list of advantages...

• 1 Whitelist control by Devs as opposed to Google meaning some apps that Google refuses to add can be used (none fit that category so far)
    • 2 Update control! If Google sends out a bad update it usually won't affect rooted users because those updates go through a second QA testing by the Eureka Devs
    • 3 The ability to see Device status without needing to use a mobile device and Chromecast app.
    • 4 Should someone decide to create a customized Rom in the future you could test and flash it.
    • 5 Custom DNS and DNS Override is available for those who want to get around Geo restrictions on content
    • 6 Options and control of your device is always a good thing