How to install AOSP Browser on the N7 Now with an updated flashable method

Search This thread

mewantnexus7

Jul 8, 2012
Mountain View, CA
Just a slight correction: You'll want to delete BrowserProxyProvider.apk and BrowserProxyProvider.odex, not Browser Provider.apk and Browser Provider.odex. Otherwise amazing work! Also Flashify is pretty great.

Censura_Umbra

Apr 10, 2011
Boston, MA
Just a slight correction: You'll want to delete BrowserProxyProvider.apk and BrowserProxyProvider.odex, not Browser Provider.apk and Browser Provider.odex. Otherwise amazing work! Also Flashify is pretty great.

It may vary. Mine is browserproviderproxy. But I don't see the proxy unless I open properties

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

sharp2G

Nov 8, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
Tired of 3rd party browsers? Need flash?

Here you go :D

Here is the link to the apk I used, it is from a Nexus S JB ROM, but ICS may work too. IDK:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11759879/Browser.apk

I used ES file explorer with root permissions to do this.

Just place this app in your /system/app folder, change the permissions from rw------- to rw-r--r--

NOW this is important, If you see a browser provider.apk and browser provider.odex You should rename them! I just threw a 1 after the file extensions.
If you don't do this step the browser will just close.

Now reboot and you are all set :D

I haven't tested everything yet. But it loads webpages and the settings menu. I will check flash and make sure everything is fine with chrome when I'm no longer in class.

Whoo!

mind making a youtube video of this, what flash content looks like on some sites without force closing and such?

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
Thanks OP. This worked perfectly. This browser is pretty fast on nexus 7.

One thing to note though. For people still locked, this will likely cause your OTA updates to fail. Reason being you modified a system file and added an app in there. OTA updates run check to make sure everything is still stock(in system/root files), when it detects a change, update fails to install. MANUAL installation of update overrides this. Just something to remember once update rolls around and people wondering why is it failing. I'm not saying it will 100% for sure fail, but there's a good chance. Just like when you do build.prop edits.

I'm unlocked n rooted so no worries for me ;)

---------- Post added at 01:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 AM ----------

Does flash do full screen with browser?

It will go fullscreen, but going landscape doesn't expand it (looks squished)

Flash will go fullscreen just fine. At least it does for me, with this browser and flash. I tried out YouTube desktop website and some other sites. It let me enlarge the video just fine and went to full screen. It played fullscreen properly, not squished or anything like that.

desiresiscool

Jan 2, 2012
I have had no problems with this browser what so ever. Everything works including full screen flash video

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Visual360

Feb 16, 2011
Silicon Valley
I have this working as a browser I suppose, but flash still doesn't work.

Or does it, but only on certain sites? Doesn't make sense I guess, but anyone tried going to ESPN.com or Break.com? This site working for you guys?

Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tired of 3rd party browsers? Need flash?

Here you go :D

Before going on, this flashable ZIP is the easiest way:
    4.2.0:
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1527845&d=1354392717
    4.2.1:
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1527847&d=1354392850
    Credit and thanks go to Sikagoon7

Here is the link to the apk I used, it is from a Nexus S JB ROM, but ICS may work too. IDK:

I used ES file explorer with root permissions to do this.

Just place this app in your /system/app folder, change the permissions from rw------- to rw-r--r--

NOW this is important, If you see a browser browserproxyprovider.odex You should rename them! I just threw a 1 after the file extensions.
    If you don't do this step the browser will just forceclose.

Now reboot and you are all set :D

I haven't tested everything yet. But it loads webpages and the settings menu. I will check flash and make sure everything is fine with chrome when I'm no longer in class.

Flash work perfectly. Better than it did on ics
    Whoo!

Note: If you have any issues, please try wiping cache and dalvik
    Okay, since it looks like no one got the sync thing down, I'll spill.

1. Download ChromeBookmarksSyncAdapter.apk
    2. Push it to /system/app/
    3. Change permissions to rw-r--r-- (not sure if necessary, but do it anyway)
    4. Restart
    5. Go into Settings -> Google Account
    6. Select the account you want to sync
    7. Check browser to turn bookmarks sync on
    8. Fire up Browser. Tada!
    You want an amazing browswer WITH flash on the Nexus 7
    sideload the latest Firefox
    Hi guys,
    I just make an archive for JZO54K ROM :
    - AOSPBrowser_4.1.2-34.apk
    - install_flash_player_ics_11.1.115.20.apk
    Link : db.tt/tXystla3
    That's could help someone ;)
    I think you'll need the JB version, am fairly sure you could extract the one from the new AOSP ROM.

Is there an AOSP Rom for the Nexus7?? I searched the Dev thread and saw none.
    link?

I did pull the browser from a AOSP JB rom for the Nexus S. It force closed again when it tried to sign in.

Here is the apk: