[Q] couple of questions.

Search This thread

UndisputedGuy

Dec 13, 2011
Thanks a lot-really thanks. I may buy one but will probably wait till after the infinity is released-hopeful for a price drop. The question comes to my mind though as to why I don't just get a normal laptop and I can't really answer that question to myself as I could get quite a decent laptop for the same price.

Sent from my R800i using XDA

UndisputedGuy

Dec 13, 2011
.....another question or favour if you will, would the prime be suitable for a 14 year old to do his homework on? Does the website "mymaths" work?

UndisputedGuy

Dec 13, 2011
After reading a thread about issues with the primes screen cracking, does the infinity have the same problem?

UndisputedGuy

Dec 13, 2011
After more thought, I have kinda finally decided that I'm probably not going to buy it. I just can't see why its better than a laptop and a laptop just seems better and pricing more reasonable. Thanks for your help though. It has helped in making my decision. I've never owned a tablet before so don't really know their pro'sand cons...

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
After more thought, I have kinda finally decided that I'm probably not going to buy it. I just can't see why its better than a laptop and a laptop just seems better and pricing more reasonable. Thanks for your help though. It has helped in making my decision. I've never owned a tablet before so don't really know their pro'sand cons...

Aw that's a bummer. Tablets aren't necessarily useful for everyone, but I think it's definitely worthwhile to try it if you're considering one. Good luck with your laptop :p

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: UndisputedGuy

UndisputedGuy

Dec 13, 2011
lol o.k. Now i've seen the asus transformer 300, what is the difference between this and the 300? The 300 isn't too expensive and seems quite good. Does it have expandable storage?
Thanks again

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
Go check out the engadget review of it from this past weekend. Should answer all your questions about it

Sent from my Inspire 4G using xda premium

pileot

Oct 16, 2010
When i explained it to customers this is what i said:

Tablets are great for people who already have a computer but want something ultra mobile with a lot of capability. browsing the internet, talking on MSN, hell even sending text messages through your cell phone, you can do with a tablet. Tablets are NOT good for heavy web browsing (if you like lots of tabs or browse hundreds of sites in an hour) nor are they good for process intensive things (video editing, photoshop, etc.) tho they do have some apps for that if you cant get to your PC. Printing from android is also a bit tricky.

I use my prime and laptop together, my laptop when i want to do a lot of stuff fast and my prime when im just stubling on the internet or checking my email, basic stuff. The prime will also be coming with me to school in may since battery life is a lot better and the weight is a lot less.

how YOU use your prime is up to you, if you put full linux on it, or whatever, is your option. Only you can decide if its going to work for you. My suggestion is buy one, use it for a week and a half, and then return it if you dont like it (most vendors have a 2 week return period). Make sure to double check, just tell the sales person "If its a gift and the person doesnt want it how long do they have to return it"

Good luck!

UndisputedGuy

Dec 13, 2011
Thanks for all your help. Really have helped me (everyone)and I aim to look at that review as well. Thanks

pavlovian

Apr 27, 2009
Essentially you need to understand the difference between ANY tablet and a laptop. I think a lot of people just assume the Transformer is a laptop/desktop replacement because it has a keyboard dock, the dock just makes it easier to type and adds some nice shortcuts. It's like a netbook in that respect.

In the Primes defence and the reasons I bought it, it has an HDMI out, a USB port and it's ridiculously fast, with a battery that lasts around 15 hours of heavy use (I've done this, so I can speak for it's claims).

Also, using Dolphin browser, I can play flash video and watch it full screen in HD on my television using the HDMI out. So, for those of us with subscriptions to services like MLB.TV etc, we can run games in HD through our TV.

I can also hook an external hard drive up to it and do the same thing, playing HD videos and not taking up precious internal hard drive space.

So for me it's a portable media device (Audio/Video/eBooks/Games/Magazine reader) that also doubles up as a VERY capable netbook. If you add to this the ability to unlock and root the device, squeezing even more performance out of the tiny thing, it's a winner.

One more thing, I have a Galaxy S2 phone which can act as a portable wifi hotspot which the Prime can use, and it's surprisingly quick for browsing the internet with when I'm nowhere near a wifi hotspot/home/freinds house. This means I only have one sim card and more importantly, only ONE BILL to worry about paying.

So for me, it's just about as perfect a little thing as I need. And it's not an Ipad.

Hope this helps.

UndisputedGuy

Dec 13, 2011
When i explained it to customers this is what i said:

Tablets are great for people who already have a computer but want something ultra mobile with a lot of capability. browsing the internet, talking on MSN, hell even sending text messages through your cell phone, you can do with a tablet. Tablets are NOT good for heavy web browsing (if you like lots of tabs or browse hundreds of sites in an hour) nor are they good for process intensive things (video editing, photoshop, etc.) tho they do have some apps for that if you cant get to your PC. Printing from android is also a bit tricky.

I use my prime and laptop together, my laptop when i want to do a lot of stuff fast and my prime when im just stubling on the internet or checking my email, basic stuff. The prime will also be coming with me to school in may since battery life is a lot better and the weight is a lot less.

how YOU use your prime is up to you, if you put full linux on it, or whatever, is your option. Only you can decide if its going to work for you. My suggestion is buy one, use it for a week and a half, and then return it if you dont like it (most vendors have a 2 week return period). Make sure to double check, just tell the sales person "If its a gift and the person doesnt want it how long do they have to return it"

Good luck!

If that is what tablets are good for, then wouldn't my xperia play be sufficient as I can do most things on my play?
As you might see, I'm kinda trying to reason with myself as to why I should buy it

UndisputedGuy

Dec 13, 2011
I've read Some reviews of the 300 which I think I'm looking at more now as it seems similar to the prime but cheaper but I would want to see them side by side I think. I don't want a slower browser or lag but reading the review says it's a watered Down version which is what I wouldn't like it to be. Some reviews do offer quite different opinions though.

UndisputedGuy

Dec 13, 2011
Inclined to buying the 300 now but it's not released in the UK as of yet and also will be quite expensive when it does hit. Anyone know if there are differences between the American and UK versions of the transformers?

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
Inclined to buying the 300 now but it's not released in the UK as of yet and also will be quite expensive when it does hit. Anyone know if there are differences between the American and UK versions of the transformers?

don't think so...maybe the charger? You could probably buy it from the US and have it shipped over for an extra 15 bucks or something. getting the dock too?

glad you've decided to bite the bullet and get a transformer :)

UndisputedGuy

Dec 13, 2011
The tablet seems cheaper in US and is already available in the US but I don't want to get something wrong by buying a US version.
Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There is a lot of opinion being asked here. But here is my opinion.

1) I have a beast of a laptop that acts mostly as a desktop. I have a desktop at work. I have a Droid Bionic. I have a Vita and 3DS. But I still find the Transformer Prime has it's specific uses. This will vary wildly from person to person. I don't think I would be any worse off for not having the Prime, but I do like having it.

2) I don't want to pay for another data plan, so I wouldn't wait for a 3g/4g one. Now the 1080p one, maybe I would wait for that. You know, if you're into waiting.

3) I have mine rooted, but other than that it's stock. There is a bootloader unlock too, although it still leaves a tiny but locked. I find the speed is fine, but unlocking/rooting can give features, not just speed.

4) Yes you can do most web browsing, including web-mail and even some flash sites. But to be honest, the experience is still just not up to par with a laptop. The browser is pretty good, but not quite chrome. The office apps are usable, but nowhere near as nice as MS Office. Video/music apps, ok those are mostly better than desktop ones. But really, it's not a laptop. Now, if you don't need a laptop, then great. I mean, I use my prime at school instead of a laptop and I'm a computer science master's student.

5) Probably not. At least not easily. You can however plug in an xbox 360 or ps3 controller if you have the keyboard dock or the special usb adapter.

6) Windows 8 on ARM is looking pretty promising, but once again, do you like waiting?

All in all, if you really feel you need a tablet right now and you have disposable income, then just buy one. Pick a tegra 3 you like and go with it. I like my prime despite some of the problems. But if you are iffy, then it's probably not a good time to buy one. Wait until you absolutely feel have to have one. Wait until you find something that excites you. Don't just buy one because everyone else is.
    Thanks a lot, I'm not too picky but just wanted one as a laptop substitute kind of thing which would replace the need for a laptop. I don't use a laptop for much with the exception of the occasional word document, going on to MSN and some casual browsing (albeit with many tabs). Is it suitable in this case?

Yessir. It's great for casual browsing, emailing, etc. The dock is phenomenal. Lasts longer than my laptop too, unless I use super super power saving mode.

Just an FYI, this should have been posted in the Q/A section of the prime forum.
    Thanks, I guess I dont want to be underwhelmed after shelling out quite a lot if money. I basically want it as a laptop but the tablet factor and all that is too cool. Any other limitations?

Not really. Its only really limitations due to the android ecosystem if anything. If casual browsing and emailing is your main concern, this will be great.

How does MSN work on the prime though? I mean, doesn't it only handle one application at once? And please tell me what could make it better than a laptop . Thanks again

Honestly, it works fine. And yes, like any tablet, it really only runs one application at a time but you can have many more open in the background and switch back and forth. That's really easy.

As for making it better than a laptop, there's no answer to this question. Pick one up, try it out, and see if it works for you.

It's no laptop nor will it ever be a laptop it's a tablet. Just like an iPad galaxy tab or any other tablet. That being said it's an awesome tablet and took the place in many ways of my laptop.

If u buy one save the receipt. If you don't like it or it's not right for you take it back.