Search This thread
R

rooted_by_nature

Using Dalvik

Using Dalvik; IMO, many apps incompatible with ART

xs11e

Oct 5, 2010
Phoenix
I'm running ART now, on CyanogenMod. When I first selected ART I got a warning that it was not CM approved and horrible things might happen so naturally I had to backup and then switch to ART to satisfy my curiosity.

Everything works just fine so far. On Clean ROM the extended boot menu didn't work, on CM it works as it should.

The reason I'm now on ART and will stay there is to try to overcome any problems that may arise since Dalvik is set to vanish from Android very soon.

OK, I've established in my own mind at least that CyanogenMod will work with ART, no apps complained or any other problems except one as follows:

I run the CM nightlies and have notice the reboot is VERY slow! The section that says now "updating application x of xxx" takes about twice as long as when I'm running Dalvik.

So I'm back on Dalvik just to speed things up a bit since the install and reboot is an almost daily event.

As far as CyanogenMod is concerned, I can't find any advantage to ART or Dalvik nor do I see any drawback to either other than the minor slowness during a reboot when running ART.

As always, YMMV!

M

mdorrett

I have used both for about a month each just to test them out. With ART there were some noticeable differences as far as smoththness and how fast apps open. None of the apps I use crashed. As far as battery life goes there was no big difference for me. I get all day heavy use on one charge either way and I plug in every night. These were both tested on Stock unrooted Roms. Staying on Dalvik though as that seems to be the most compatible way to go after root and customization.

MotoTurbo

Mar 14, 2014
Vale, NC
I use dalvik cuz when I wipe caches it's take hella long time to boot on art

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: xs11e

FlanjeUK

Apr 7, 2013
Newcastle
ART on SlimKat since the first beta was released almost a year ago and I have never looked back, no loss in battery life at all just a nice performance boost.

dracon6ai

Sep 21, 2009
Dalvik just because most of the games I play don't work on ART. M8 stock no root 4.4.4

Last edited:

xsteven77x

Jul 2, 2010
Pittsburgh
On 4.4.4 and after a few weeks of being on art my device slowed to a crawl and froze a lot. Changing it back to dalvik immediately fixed the issue.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Its wierd to me how some people say they see no difference at all...

Then there are people like me and the last few post'ers that see a dramatic differnce in load times and fluidness.

I think ART is off the hook!
    I use dalvik cuz when I wipe caches it's take hella long time to boot on art

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Free mobile app

Amen! I ain't got time from that. And when dirty flashing ROM updates my god I don't want to wait 10+ minutes to boot up lol.
    Just like the Title implies. I am trying to get a good idea on what runtime users perfer.

I like ART but its a batter killer and some apps are not compatible. Luckily I am not concerned about incompatible apps because I have not come across one that I use.

I would like to know what you use...

Do you prefer Art or Dalvik and why?

Everyone is encouraged to join in... Even if from another forum :highfive:
    Just to follow up, everything I can find on the net at the moment indicates ART should/does improve battery life. It's less of a strain on the CPU so that would make sense.

Scott you know a hell of a lot more about these devices than I ever will (and probably more than most of these internet sources) so if you say it's the opposite I'd be inclined to believe you.

I'm far from knowing everything. I just read one article and it show battery drain statitistcs of art and dalvik on identical devices set up identically. Art drain was higher.

I dont know this test to be as all conclusive so take it with a grain of salt.

I just switched to ART... Been about a week and I notice that there is no more lag when opening my keyboard and no lag when swyping... Only app I see crash so far is quadrant but no biggie....
    Does ART effect the kernel possibilities? I want to try faux again but don't know if it will cause a reload of everything if it breaks

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    Art should not affect kernel. But I aslo see the gians you see. The keyboard is just one. Wake time to home screen is another, launching any app is amazingly faster.

I use dalvic cause I am too lazy to change over
    A man after my own heart!
    Ok, I think the majority of people will still be rocking dalvik.

And it does break a couple apps.

I think Google is really on to something though...

not absolutely sure about this but I did read it somewhere that the Iphone OS IOS uses a native language which didn't need interpretation once loaded where as the androidpackages are a few steps away from native. I think I read that ART was a step in the direction of being more native maybe someone else can explain it better if Im not absolutely wrong =]
    ahh here it is a little reading
    ART, which stands for...
    Android Runtime, handles app execution in a fundamentally different way from Dalvik. The current runtime relies on a Just-In-Time (JIT) compiler to interpret bytecode, a generic version of the original application code. In a manner of speaking, apps are only partially compiled by developers, then the resulting code must go through an interpreter on a user's device each and every time it is run. The process involves a lot of overhead and isn't particularly efficient, but the mechanism makes it easy for apps to run on a variety of hardware and architectures. ART is set to change this process by pre-compiling that bytecode into machine language when apps are first installed, turning them into truly native apps. This process is called Ahead-Of-Time (AOT) compilation. By removing the need to spin up a new virtual machine or run interpreted code, startup times can be cut down immensely and ongoing execution will become faster, as well.

And the rest...

article found here

and here is the extremetech Explanation

after rereading these i think I will try out ART for the first time LoL