Restoring TWRP backup to a new phone

Search This thread

caseyatbt

Oct 31, 2008
Colorado
I have to move to a new phone. I backed up my old one to the SDcard. I placed it in the new phone and booted into TWRP. When I enter the restore menu, I go to ext card and it doesn't show any backups. I am not sure why TWRP does not see my sdcard backups so I can restore my backup.

Last edited:

jameztownbarber

Nov 11, 2012
North Carolina
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
I have to move to a new phone. I backed up my old one to the SDcard. I placed it in the new phone and booted into TWRP. When I enter the restore menu, I go to ext card and it doesn't show any backups. I am not sure why TWRP does not see my sdcard backups so I can restore my backup.

There different serial#s it dosent recognize that phone I had the same problems when I switched my s3 to another s3

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium

CNexus

May 17, 2012
~/android
Google Pixel 7
Sorry, what I meant was, if I install CWM, will I have a better shot at a restoration or does CWM check serials as well?

And that's what I'm answering. CWM won't even attempt to restore it (much less check the serial) because its in a different format than what it saves its backups as, you have to be on TWRP if you even wanna try it

Reactions: flastnoles11

MrKman293

Oct 26, 2012

Are you just trying to restore apps or what?

imaconeheadXD

Jul 9, 2012
New York
@OP I actually started a similar thread a while back that could have given you the solution :p make a backup on your new phone using twrp, then on your sd card within the twrp folder there should be two folders with different numbers, one will have the backup you just made and the other will have your old backups. Move the files with the old backups into the folder which contains the new backup, then delete the old, empty folder. Now you can restore your old backups :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

caseyatbt

Oct 31, 2008
Colorado
And that's what I'm answering. CWM won't even attempt to restore it (much less check the serial) because its in a different format than what it saves its backups as, you have to be on TWRP if you even wanna try it

I meant install CWM, then make a backupwith CWM and use CWM on a new phone.

@OP I actually started a similar thread a while back that could have given you the solution :p make a backup on your new phone using twrp, then on your sd card within the twrp folder there should be two folders with different numbers, one will have the backup you just made and the other will have your old backups. Move the files with the old backups into the folder which contains the new backup, then delete the old, empty folder. Now you can restore your old backups :)

I tried that and it says it failed as it finishes the restore.

I decided to just restore from Titanium Backup and do the set it up over again.

caseyatbt

Oct 31, 2008
Colorado
WAIT
Do you mean to say that you still have the old phone? If so, there's a way to make an ODIN flashable tar of the exact state of your old phone so you can flash to your new phone ;)

Here's a link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1777579
Partitions are the same so you can use the script someone in there made

That is cool! Thanks. I have made the images, but making them flash-able seems a little less clear.

hex90

Apr 6, 2010
Palo Alto

TWRP bases backups and restores on serial number in a couple places. I've only done this from same phone to other of the same phones I've gotten of the same model (e.g. S3 to S3, HTC One 32GB to HTC One 64GB). Not sure how it would work from different model to different model - spose it depends on what you are restoring., model, rom, etc.

TWRP backup directory is sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/[SerialNumberOfDevice]/[timeStampOfBackup]/

Change the directory name to the serial number of the new device you want to restore to. Then, go to /[timeStampOfBackup]/recovery.log and do a find/replace on all of the old serial number with the new serial number - I believe there are 8 or 9 instances.

If you change the directory name from w/in TWRP recovery console, reboot - then it'll show up as a recovery option... though, you'll need to update the log file another way -if it's on an sdcard (vs. an HTC One where there is no true sdcard) neither should be a problem.

cheers

robertfah

May 29, 2011
TWRP bases backups and restores on serial number in a couple places. I've only done this from same phone to other of the same phones I've gotten of the same model (e.g. S3 to S3, HTC One 32GB to HTC One 64GB). Not sure how it would work from different model to different model - spose it depends on what you are restoring., model, rom, etc.

TWRP backup directory is sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/[SerialNumberOfDevice]/[timeStampOfBackup]/

Change the directory name to the serial number of the new device you want to restore to. Then, go to /[timeStampOfBackup]/recovery.log and do a find/replace on all of the old serial number with the new serial number - I believe there are 8 or 9 instances.

If you change the directory name from w/in TWRP recovery console, reboot - then it'll show up as a recovery option... though, you'll need to update the log file another way -if it's on an sdcard (vs. an HTC One where there is no true sdcard) neither should be a problem.

cheers

I'm having a similar issue with TWRP not seeing backups but my device didn't change. I found my serial number but it's a long, 14 digit number and the folder you mention above is about 8 characters long consisting of characters and numbers. I tried to convert my serial number (is Hex I believe) to ASCII but it doesn't render the same name as the folder (not even close in terms of length). Any idea as to how I can convert it?

topherk

Nov 16, 2010
Los Angeles
I'm having a similar issue with TWRP not seeing backups but my device didn't change. I found my serial number but it's a long, 14 digit number and the folder you mention above is about 8 characters long consisting of characters and numbers. I tried to convert my serial number (is Hex I believe) to ASCII but it doesn't render the same name as the folder (not even close in terms of length). Any idea as to how I can convert it?

I think the easiest way of getting the "new" serial number is just to create a new TWRP backup for your phone (maybe something small like just recovery). It'll create a new folder with the name of your "new" serial number. That's the one you'd want to use.

CNexus

May 17, 2012
~/android
Google Pixel 7

Connect your phone to your computer (make sure drivers are installed)
Download the adb_windows.zip from my devhost here: http://d-h.st/qmi

Then unzip that and open a command prompt in the unzipped directory (Shift + Right click > Open command prompt here)

Type "adb devices", press enter, and you'll have your serial in the following form:
Code:
xxxxxxx       device

Last step: profit :cool:

robertfah

May 29, 2011
I think the easiest way of getting the "new" serial number is just to create a new TWRP backup for your phone (maybe something small like just recovery). It'll create a new folder with the name of your "new" serial number. That's the one you'd want to use.
Yeah I did that but once again, I couldn't see it through TWRP (but could through Root Explorer or Windows Explorer).

Then unzip that and open a command prompt in the unzipped directory (Shift + Right click > Open command prompt here)

Type "adb devices", press enter, and you'll have your serial in the following form:
Code:
xxxxxxx       device

Thanks for this...after doing this, the serial number was the same, however, I ran across this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2178264&highlight=twrp+not+finding+backups&page=2 and found Post #14 to be very helpful and my possible solution.

As it turns out, when I connect my phone to my computer, I get the drive "SPH-L710" and the folders "Card" and "Phone" within that. Phone has a 0 folder in it and I copied the TWRP from Phone\TWRP to 0\TWRP and then I was able to view them and restore them in recovery.

So why isn't TWRP storing the backups in 0\TWRP? What is supposed to be in the 0 folder and the Phone folders? it looks like I have some duplicate folders going on:

Phone:
phone_zps4425b78f.png

0:
0_zps3e180992.png

xstahsie

May 6, 2010
This actually worked for me. I bricked my LG G3, got Verizon to send me a replacement LG G3, and then I used the TWRP backup that I had made to restore everything. Thanks for this information.

How I got it to work was I made a TWRP backup on the new phone, transferred the backup that I had made on the old phone to the new phone, rename the new backup to something, and rename the old backup to to match the original name of the new backup.

Reactions: Lookitfast

xdax1

Aug 27, 2009
Hong Kong

cheers[/QUOTE]

Thanks I got it working like this

feeling7

Mar 26, 2014
During the TWRP restore process (old phone backup to new phone but same model), should I restore every partition to have everything working properly? or maybe just system+data?
I mean about screen as below:
P7bdCYJ.png

I am not sure if I should also restore partition as: modem, boot?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

cheers

Code:
    xxxxxxx       device

cheers[/QUOTE]

Thanks I got it working like this
    Sorry, what I meant was, if I install CWM, will I have a better shot at a restoration or does CWM check serials as well?