Windows just sent me a HTC Mazaa

Search This thread

Cpitt

Jun 29, 2011
Pupukea, HI
For those who might be interested. I was one of the 50 lucky winners in the ongoing WPAPPITUP student developer competition, and was promised a Mango phone about a week or so ago. To my surprise I arrived home to find a package from Microsoft waiting for me.

Open it up and I find my self a brand new unlocked HTC Mazaa, running Mango 7.10.7720.500 .Here is a screenshot of the about page
WP_000086%20%281%29.jpg

It's roughly the exact same as the one in the pictures that were released here back in April. The only difference being some kind of identification number that is etched into the bottom left hand corner.

First impressions the phone is fast, whether it just be the new Mango build or the phone itself I'm not entirely certain. But it runs circles around my HD7. On the same note comparing it to the HD7 it's a lot smaller. It also only has 8gig of internal not upgradable internal memory, which doesn't really cut it for me. However, beggars can't be choosers, and I'm glad to have the phone either way.

The real question is what to do with it. Tmobile was so kind to send me 2 free HD7 s just a few weeks ago for upgrading my plan (my Mom has the other one), which other than the speed (which may or may not be a related to the build of Mango I'm running) seems superior to this Microsoft test phone.

This leads to a few questions:

Developers, do you find it necessary to have more than one phone to test your applications on?

If I decided to sell this phone, how much would it go for? Where would be the best place to sell it?

If you had an extra WP7 phone what would you do with it?

It seems like details about this phone have been shrouded in rumor so if there is anything that I can clear up let me know

iky10

Sep 8, 2005
if you can post some pics of the phone and a comparison with the hd7.

XGX5309

Dec 29, 2008
Well, something I see that hasn't been said is that this is an MSM8655 device... another words, 2nd gen 45NM Snapdragon with the Adreno 205. So, how much faster are we talking? My Focus is pretty damn snappy as it is. Also, what's the battery life like?

Interesting. It's a true Mango release device.

Peew971

Sep 7, 2008
London
First impressions the phone is fast, whether it just be the new Mango build or the phone itself I'm not entirely certain. But it runs circles around my HD7. On the same note comparing it to the HD7 it's a lot smaller. It also only has 8gig of internal not upgradable internal memory, which doesn't really cut it for me. However, beggars can't be choosers, and I'm glad to have the phone either way.
Isn't 7720 the RTM version? Would be nice to know the differences with Beta 2, improvements, new features, etc.

Peew971

Sep 7, 2008
London
oh do you know any store that already sells the 7720 version :rolleyes:
I was adressing him (and you) as a HD2 owner. If you love the platform you might as well support it, there are phones available sim-free unlocked for under 180€.
As for the request, Microsoft knows all the Mazaa owners so I wouldn't advise any of them to take the risk to extract and share the ROM just to please the modding community (yeah I know this is XDA, why are you here, bla bla bla).

surur

Nov 29, 2003
I would not sell this phone if I were you. It likely has a gyroscope, something your HTC HD7 does not have.

qsr786

Apr 11, 2011
Could you please tell us before you sell you htc mazaa what has been improved since Mango Beta 2, is the speed of ie9 been raised by 50 fps?

Tiemen_S

Feb 20, 2010
Eindhoven
If I were you, I'd definitely sell my HD7 because of the hardware improvements to the Mazaa and you'll always be able to test some app on your mother's phone before releasing it just to be sure - but I wouldn't think there will be much errors if both get the same update after all.
But very much so, I'm sure all people around here are very eager to know if there are any (interface) changes or additions in the RTM build! I don't know about any Microsoft issues if you'd tell. I think you yourself know your agreements best by entering that competition ;). I think XDA would gladly feature some article about it if you'd be so nice to write one!

fb401

Apr 26, 2006
Philly, PA
www.defconjive.com
I can only speak on the selling part. Obviously the best way to sell would be ebay, because it's currently a rare phone and the first with a 2nd gen snapdragon (and maybe a gyroscope), I would guess you could get $400 to $500 for it.

imotz

Aug 22, 2008
I will take some more photos and actually shoot a video when I go home. Actually I shoot the video but did not compress it (the video is 720p but I have a crappy upload), so I have to do it tonight.

Any different angles of photos, or video you may want?

please make some test like boot time, wpbench, browser speed

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    if you can post some pics of the phone and a comparison with the hd7.

more pictures and descriptions in detail is appreciated, perhaps a video too?

=D

I only have my two phones, and no camera at the moment. I'll try to see if I can get my hands on a Camera Before the Day is done.

Isn't 7720 the RTM version? Would be nice to know the differences with Beta 2, improvements, new features, etc.

So far the differences are almost unnoticeable, but here's what I've found so far:

The camera has quite a few new settings, tried to get a picture but they didn't fit in one pic. The Settings include:Brightness, contrast, Saturation, sharpness, white balance, image effect, ISO Gain, Best Shot Mode, Anti-Banding, Focus Mode, Exposure metering mode, and Exposure Compensation.
    WP_000088.jpg

There is a new local scout app icon
    WP_000091.jpg

Hidden Wifi network

And that's about all I've noticed thus far, other than speed which may or may not have something to do with the faster processor/memory.

How about running WPBENCH on it so we can see how it compares to the HD7
    The Mazaa Vs HD7
    WP_000092.jpgWP_000001.jpg

Sorry about the thumbnails. Even though I posted a picture yesterday, today it's telling me I need more than 8 posts to link to outside sites. I'll try to answer questions when I have time.
    please make some test like boot time, wpbench, browser speed

Boot time both the Mazaa and the HD7 are about 22 seconds with only a fraction of a second's difference.

On the speed reader test the Mazaa averaged 31Fps with average draw duration of 32ms, and the htc hd7 averaged 29fps with an average draw duration of 34ms.

Fishtank on the Mazaa is about 47 fps, where it's only abou 30 on the HD7
    I love how all the "news" sites are using the pictures I posted here. I guess I should have taken more care to not capture my "people" icon in the pictures, now my ugly mug is plastered up on dozens of blogs, oh well lesson learned I guess.

They are also reporting that lionmilk sold his phone for 699. I'm not huge into playing games, or doing really anything that requires heavy computing on my phone for that matter. I want to develop a few lightweight apps in the future, but that's about it. Ever so tempting, I am a poor student developer after all. ;)

Edit: I couldn't help myself, I need the cash a lot more than I need the phone. Tuition/rent/gas doesn't pay for itself after all. I know some of you may think I'm dumb for selling it, but hey to each their own, right? If anyone from MS see this and has a problem with it let me know, and if I'm in the wrong I'll pull the listing.

Here's the link for anyone who may be interested http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200640463322#ht_3250wt_1415
    Hi all,

So, from my earlier posts, you may know that I was trying to get my phone working on Verizon. I harrassed the Microsoft guys about this, and they ended up sending me a new Mazaa that was provisioned for CDMA. There was still a problem with the device, though – it only had build 7600 on it (which, by the way, included some fun tools).

The main problem with build 7600 was that it was pretty buggy. Microsoft then sent me a Connect invite which gave me access to an image update for the phone (ffu format).

The phone now has 7720 – and it is working on Verizon – but, a few little issues do still exist for me:

• There is less storage than there should be (I think you guys are onto something with the partitions)
    • My data connection it stuck on DO – no 3G
    • The hardware buttons to light up
    • I can no longer access the bootloader. I can, however, get to that 3 vibe boot state.

**What is interesting in this image update, though, is that I can install and run HTC apps! The only one from the marketplace that is not working for me is the flashlight. Also, to my dismay, I have so far been unsuccessful in trying to sideload a version of the HTC Connection Setup app; which I think is the key to getting me 3G data.

Mike