[ROM][2.3.7][AOSP] KWIQ Rom--"Form Follows Function"[4/9/12] UPDATED

Search This thread

jamieg71

Mar 13, 2011
Sanford, Florida

KWIQ ROM for the E4G

460e5a59-11a1-bbfd.jpg

Hey guys this is my first public showing so please be easy on me. This Rom is based off the latest CM and has been highly optimized for speed and stability. I have not done any theming to this rom as Theme chooser combined with the ADW launcher offer a vast array of themes for you to choose from. I have spent countless hours trying to discern the best combinations of Oom settings, low mem values, cache pressure, heap size and many other tweaks and optimizations. I opted to include as many of these settings/values into the actual boot.img's ram disk in the init.rc & init.supersonic.rc, rather than through init.d. I feel there is benefit in having pre-existing parameters rather than relying on a script to hack in the tweaks.
This ROM is for all the people who love aosp but may not have the ability or know how to mod and tweak themselves. I designed this to have the best "out of the box performance" available for our device, while retaining functionality and reliability. Satisfaction Guaranteed or your money back. ;)

The Goods
Code:
Based on CM 7.2
Stripped languages in system/framework
Optimized all .pngs
Odexed
SavagedZen 2.2.1 CFS HAVS baked in (Includes SZ app to toggle SBC)
Dta2sd baked in (activate through terminal)
Modified boot.img
init.rc tweeks
init.supersonic.rc tweeks
build.prop tweeks
SZ manager app to toggle SBC on or off
[COLOR="Red"]for optimum performance use third party app to set sd read ahead to 4096[/COLOR]

Things to do
Code:
Further optimize all .jar files
Add CCN name to data/app
Open for all suggestions feel free to ask!

Changelog
Code:
3-6-12 -First Public Release

3-7-12 -Update
Include VVM (9016) fix, Voice mail is included in Gapps Light below (Thanks Roxicodine for the link, luist4498 for posting the files, and who ever made the original mods if it's you hit me up and I will include proper credits)
Updated Su & Titanium back-up
Added Super Tuner to data/app (free version)
More ramdisk tweaks to improve responsiveness
Reduced system by another 5MB
Anyone not using the "Gapps Light" in this post, that wants the vvm fix, download [URL="http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=737973&d=1317580514"]this[/URL] voicemail.apk. Use file explorer to move to system/app set permissions and reboot

4/9/12 -Update
Additional build.prop tweeks (thanks PapaSmurf)
minor init.supersonic.rc tweeks

How To Flash
Code:
1) Download rom to sd and verify md5
2) In recovery manually wipe everything except sd card
3) Flash [URL="http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=452272&d=1291053174"]THIS[/URL] or another cleaner script.
4) Flash rom, when prompted flash GAPPS
5) Reboot
6) If you would like to activate Dta2sd run command "a2sd reinstall" in terminal

Credits
Code:
Google for the Android experience
HTC for a great device that two years later still holds it own
CM Team for their base
SavagedZen for arguably one of the best kernels ever made for the E4G
dsixda for his incredible kitchen
juwe11, Carhauler, Ropodope, and many others for a wide array of tweaks and mods I used while creating this rom, although I did not include their scripts or settings..:)

[SIZE="4"][B][I]Special Thanks to;[/I][/B][/SIZE]
lithid-cm for his [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20772396&postcount=1"]CMCompiler[/URL]
Gruesomewolf for both sound advice and his dedication and contributions to xda.
TommyTomato for his awesome tool (AndroidUtility) and invaluable guides.
Mijjah74 for sound advice and putting up with my many questions. (sorry bro haha)
Xsmagical for sound advice and opening up doors for me. (figuratively speaking, lol)
 I personally find all these guys to be an inspiration and exemplary examples of what XDA should be all about.

Disclaimer
Code:
Your warranty is now VOID. I am not responsible if you brick your device, flash at your own risk.
 This is soley an individual effort I offer to you for your flashing pleasure.

Download 0.4
MD5- cc542408ca9a4c73146ec88175d993f1

Download 0.5
MD5- c6393a74fec585ed710b799cbb1e20b6

Gapps Light

Last edited:

jamieg71

Mar 13, 2011
Sanford, Florida
Additional screens/settings

Please feel free to let me know what you think, any problems you may encounter, or requests that you may have.

For optimum user experience and an incredibly snappy interface please do the following with your rom set up.
Set SD read ahead as mentioned in OP.
In "Spare Parts" turn both "Window & Transition animations" to fast, or even better, off completely.
In ADW settings/Screen Preferences/Desktop scrolling speed/ set to 0 (zero).
Performing these steps will drastically speed up the ui with this adw launcher.

Additional screens
6b224c2c-0ff5-d15d.jpg

6b224c2c-1008-438c.jpg

6b224c2c-101a-541b.jpg

9hhkQCj0

My personal gaming settings by request-
1) Kill any other background app before gaming.
2) Clear cache (I use system tuner for both the above)
3) Ensure SD read ahead is set to 4096 (This should be done regardless, sorry will fix next release)
4) In settings/cyanogen settings/performance/cpu settings/set min cpu to 1036 max to 1152 governor to performance DO NOT check set at boot
5) play game

Now for quads things are a bit different. Let me start off by saying that in real world day to day use, quads mean absolutely nothing and are in no way a representation of a quality user experience for a given rom. I use quadrant standard to test different tweaks I have made. I do this in a very controlled way. Make all runs on a fresh install having only signed in to google account and cancel sync manually through settings/accounts & sync. All the parameters for gaming settings above are used, in addition go to settings/cyanogen settings/ uncheck "surface dithering" (this helps 2D frame rates), check "Use 16 bit transparency" (this will help 3D performance.. minutely), reboot. Allow device to rest for 30 minutes, reboot phone, allow 30 more minutes at rest with screen off. Run quadrant standard, five runs back to back recording score for each, then average those numbers. Close app, 30 minute rest, repeat, this is done five times, I then average all my "averaged" scores. Currently on the rom available for download in op my running average with these steps is 1640.
I have found that with out fail my phone, hw 0004, will ALWAYS have the best score on my fourth run. Unless I make more than 5 runs then number 7 is king. The screenshot in the op is from a seventh run.

Last edited:

the.emilio

So I am assuming this has the CoD tweaks built in when you are mentioning built in tweaks? What about Papa Smurfs tweaks? Wanna give this a run but want to confirm what tweaks are already included so I am not redoing them lol. Looks good though. Also, are gapps baked in?

Last edited:

jamieg71

Mar 13, 2011
Sanford, Florida
So I am assuming this has the CoD tweaks built in when you are mentioning built in tweaks? What about Papa Smurfs tweaks? Wanna give this a run but want to confirm what tweaks are already included so I am not redoing them lol. Looks good though. Also, are gapps baked in?
Actually, no COD is not baked in, nor are any init.d scripts other than dta2sd. Feel free mod and tweak at will. I also did not include any of Papa's build.prop tweaks. I'm pretty sure that his script checks for repetitions and corrects, so you would be safe there as well. You ought to run it stock for a bit before you determine what tweeks to incorporate. It may pleasantly surprise you. ;)

wanna give this a shot wheres gapps ?
I didn't provide any but I'll see if I can find a link to some. I use a stripped down version of gapps I've had for ages. Lol
Gimme a few and I'll get a link up.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

jamieg71

Mar 13, 2011
Sanford, Florida
Can anyone confirm boot

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium
Yes I just downloaded over 4g flashed booted and set back up, tethering pc right now.

im up and running jjust waiting on gapps link. i flashed another gapps from a kanged cm 7 it keeps force closing
I had to reflash rom to confirm the download link, I'll upload my own light version of gapps, you'll have to use market to download what I pulled out.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

KWIQ ROM for the E4G

460e5a59-11a1-bbfd.jpg

Hey guys this is my first public showing so please be easy on me. This Rom is based off the latest CM and has been highly optimized for speed and stability. I have not done any theming to this rom as Theme chooser combined with the ADW launcher offer a vast array of themes for you to choose from. I have spent countless hours trying to discern the best combinations of Oom settings, low mem values, cache pressure, heap size and many other tweaks and optimizations. I opted to include as many of these settings/values into the actual boot.img's ram disk in the init.rc & init.supersonic.rc, rather than through init.d. I feel there is benefit in having pre-existing parameters rather than relying on a script to hack in the tweaks.
    This ROM is for all the people who love aosp but may not have the ability or know how to mod and tweak themselves. I designed this to have the best "out of the box performance" available for our device, while retaining functionality and reliability. Satisfaction Guaranteed or your money back. ;)

The Goods
    Code:
    Based on CM 7.2
    Stripped languages in system/framework
    Optimized all .pngs
    Odexed
    SavagedZen 2.2.1 CFS HAVS baked in (Includes SZ app to toggle SBC)
    Dta2sd baked in (activate through terminal)
    Modified boot.img
    init.rc tweeks
    init.supersonic.rc tweeks
    build.prop tweeks
    SZ manager app to toggle SBC on or off
    [COLOR="Red"]for optimum performance use third party app to set sd read ahead to 4096[/COLOR]

Things to do
    Code:
    Further optimize all .jar files
    Add CCN name to data/app
    Open for all suggestions feel free to ask!

Changelog
    Code:
    3-6-12 -First Public Release

3-7-12 -Update
    Include VVM (9016) fix, Voice mail is included in Gapps Light below (Thanks Roxicodine for the link, luist4498 for posting the files, and who ever made the original mods if it's you hit me up and I will include proper credits)
    Updated Su & Titanium back-up
    Added Super Tuner to data/app (free version)
    More ramdisk tweaks to improve responsiveness
    Reduced system by another 5MB
    Anyone not using the "Gapps Light" in this post, that wants the vvm fix, download [URL="http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=737973&d=1317580514"]this[/URL] voicemail.apk. Use file explorer to move to system/app set permissions and reboot

4/9/12 -Update
    Additional build.prop tweeks (thanks PapaSmurf)
    minor init.supersonic.rc tweeks

How To Flash
    Code:
    1) Download rom to sd and verify md5
    2) In recovery manually wipe everything except sd card
    3) Flash [URL="http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=452272&d=1291053174"]THIS[/URL] or another cleaner script.
    4) Flash rom, when prompted flash GAPPS
    5) Reboot
    6) If you would like to activate Dta2sd run command "a2sd reinstall" in terminal

Credits
    Code:
    Google for the Android experience
    HTC for a great device that two years later still holds it own
    CM Team for their base
    SavagedZen for arguably one of the best kernels ever made for the E4G
    dsixda for his incredible kitchen
    juwe11, Carhauler, Ropodope, and many others for a wide array of tweaks and mods I used while creating this rom, although I did not include their scripts or settings..:)

[SIZE="4"][B][I]Special Thanks to;[/I][/B][/SIZE]
    lithid-cm for his [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20772396&postcount=1"]CMCompiler[/URL]
    Gruesomewolf for both sound advice and his dedication and contributions to xda.
    TommyTomato for his awesome tool (AndroidUtility) and invaluable guides.
    Mijjah74 for sound advice and putting up with my many questions. (sorry bro haha)
    Xsmagical for sound advice and opening up doors for me. (figuratively speaking, lol)
     I personally find all these guys to be an inspiration and exemplary examples of what XDA should be all about.

Disclaimer
    Code:
    Your warranty is now VOID. I am not responsible if you brick your device, flash at your own risk.
     This is soley an individual effort I offer to you for your flashing pleasure.

Download 0.4
    MD5- cc542408ca9a4c73146ec88175d993f1

Download 0.5
    MD5- c6393a74fec585ed710b799cbb1e20b6

Gapps Light
    Additional screens/settings

Please feel free to let me know what you think, any problems you may encounter, or requests that you may have.

For optimum user experience and an incredibly snappy interface please do the following with your rom set up.
    Set SD read ahead as mentioned in OP.
    In "Spare Parts" turn both "Window & Transition animations" to fast, or even better, off completely.
    In ADW settings/Screen Preferences/Desktop scrolling speed/ set to 0 (zero).
    Performing these steps will drastically speed up the ui with this adw launcher.

Additional screens
    6b224c2c-0ff5-d15d.jpg

6b224c2c-1008-438c.jpg

6b224c2c-101a-541b.jpg

9hhkQCj0

My personal gaming settings by request-
    1) Kill any other background app before gaming.
    2) Clear cache (I use system tuner for both the above)
    3) Ensure SD read ahead is set to 4096 (This should be done regardless, sorry will fix next release)
    4) In settings/cyanogen settings/performance/cpu settings/set min cpu to 1036 max to 1152 governor to performance DO NOT check set at boot
    5) play game

Now for quads things are a bit different. Let me start off by saying that in real world day to day use, quads mean absolutely nothing and are in no way a representation of a quality user experience for a given rom. I use quadrant standard to test different tweaks I have made. I do this in a very controlled way. Make all runs on a fresh install having only signed in to google account and cancel sync manually through settings/accounts & sync. All the parameters for gaming settings above are used, in addition go to settings/cyanogen settings/ uncheck "surface dithering" (this helps 2D frame rates), check "Use 16 bit transparency" (this will help 3D performance.. minutely), reboot. Allow device to rest for 30 minutes, reboot phone, allow 30 more minutes at rest with screen off. Run quadrant standard, five runs back to back recording score for each, then average those numbers. Close app, 30 minute rest, repeat, this is done five times, I then average all my "averaged" scores. Currently on the rom available for download in op my running average with these steps is 1640.
    I have found that with out fail my phone, hw 0004, will ALWAYS have the best score on my fourth run. Unless I make more than 5 runs then number 7 is king. The screenshot in the op is from a seventh run.
    To all that have given KWIQ rom a go, thanks! I got back into coverage a few hours back and am blown away. I feel priveleged that 1400+ people have enjoyed my Rom! Thanks to all of you who have answered questions for me during my absence. I will answer more questions and get out some well deserved thanks tomorrow when I get on the desktop.

I'm overwhelmed by all the positive responses, and pledge to bring you guys even more worthy ROMS soon. I have altered plans from what I laid out 3 weeks ago, but I'd like some input.
    My past few weeks I have been extremely limited in any sort of data conection. So I played around with a Sense(less) 1.0 Rom I made from the latest RUU. Suffice to say, I was impressed by the potential.
    Who would be interested in an over the top senseless 1.0 rom? I realize Tommy, and GW both have OUTSTANDING 1.0 offerings, but how bout a senseless 1.0 with a KWIQ twist? All input will be most appreciated.

No worries however, KWIQ-LEE, as described earlier, will be along shortly.
    Once again thanks to everyone!! I'm humbled by the positive responses so far.
    I've begun looking for some help from other developers to get KWIQ-R stable enough for release. I think I might just have come up with a game changing combo, but so far I am hitting a wall. MMS & SMS, as well as flash and a long list of other bugs, even call logs, are no go.
    Any DEVS willing to lend a hand, I will be opening a thread shortly.

Again thanks to all, and oh yeah ....
    I'm BACK!!!!!
    I was wondering if this is happening to anyone else. I had this happen in .4 and now in .5 but when I click on the app launcher, my apps reload (similar to when you reboot and you go to your app drawer for the first time).

Typically once I reboot and go to the app drawer it reloads all of the apps but it never does it again until I reboot. Now, it is constantly doing it. Not that its a deal breaker, just wasnt sure what was causing it and if it could be an indicator of a bigger problem.

Hmm, first I've seen of this, haven't had it happen myself, you may try locking home in memory in /cyanogen settings/performance (I think, on ics now and cant recall the exact directory look around you'll find it)

When you guys here talk about amazing battery life is that while using the phone or while idle? Battery doesn't drain at all while sleeping but disappears quickly while using the phone. Using stock frequencies with sz governor. Undervolted by 75.

Sent from my ever-changing Evo.

Honestly anymore if I can go 18+ hours on battery I consider it to be good, but I rarely make it more than 6-12 before flashing a new test version or another rom I'm working on or even trying out some of the other roms here in the forums.
    Like shizume says below, kernels are all about trial and error. Generally I have found the same kernel will provide similar results across roms of like type (ie: aosp or sense) on a given phone.

@ pmacevad

My phone personally don't like sz. I tried tiamat 4.1.0 but my phone reboots on that kernel. Random reboot is like once every other day, which is still good, IMO. No matter what I do, I end up going back to tiamat 3.3.7.

"To me and my phone", I think this kernel is the best. Battery doesn't drain fast when using. Battery doesn't drain when idle. The most battery life I got from normal use, some Web, a few phone call, and texting all day, is close to 17 hours. I'm not on extended battery. I'm using Anker 1500 mah battery.

Kernel is all about trial and error. Use each kernel and setting about 2-3 days. First day use of battery will drain, no matter what kernel you use. That's why its a minimum 3 days to really tell if it the kernel is at its full potential.

Excellent answer my friend. Thanks for helping out!

The way I see it, if you can multi task without a hitch then the performance should be on par. With that said, a little of both please :D

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium

Haha, very true, working on a little of both right now..:)

battery life as in lasting a full day for me..off charger at 6am... .its a personal/work..i get exchange/gmail on it... i check weather.. txt..calls..answer emails.. and rom all day...now when i'm saying it sleeps good.. my wife can take it off at 10pm....fully charged....i'll wake up..check at 6am.....86+%left....then go all day.. home at 430...about 25%left......back on the chager.....

but this is my phone.. and my setup..all evo's are not created equally.....
    Thanks for the feedback as to your usage, it really helps to get a feel for how people are using the rom. For instance I'm going begin using the auto sync features for my emails and social apps to get a better feel for how my tweeks are working out.

Still working on the update guys, I'm going to be including more than one version from the next update on, possibly using aroma to provide options for kernels amongst other things. This is taking me a little longer than I had expected, I'm trying to be sure I put forth my best effort without having any oversights or glaring bugs. lol Thanks for your patience, I know I always hated waiting on updates and am starting to understand why the wait inevitably occurs. My appreciation for all of our seasoned developers is growing leaps and bound on a daily basis.
    Hey everyone, I got back in town last night, had planned to start re-basing this today, but ended up spending the day resting up. I got pretty beat up with work the past couple days.
    Gonna hit it full time starting tonight and tomorrow. I'm looking in to options for the new base, and welcome all input.
    So what would you all like to see? A more multi-tasking friendly Rom, or something geared more towards performance? Again all input is welcome, so don't be shy. ;)

Sorry for being a little late to reply. I'd like to see something focusing more on multitasking. I've been getting a lot of random reboots lately when I'm out for a run and using Pandora, Runkeeper, GPS, and MyTracks all at once. Never happened on Decks 1.3d. I thought it was a GPS-WiFi conflict but it happens even when I'm just using GPS and turn WiFi off.

As for a new base, I'd love to see you update Decks 1.3 and continue to customize his build for the EVO even more. Deck has a huge following, many of whom I'm sure would greatly assist you as you develop this rom. And, 1.3d is easily the best EVO GB rom so why not use it as a rock solid base?

If not Decks, then I'd prefer sticking with an updated CM 7.2.

Great job with this rom. Aside from the random reboots I've had while exercising, I've had ZERO issues. I look forward to your next release, which I hope is soon!