Nextbook Flexx 11 how to dual boot android and 8.1/10

Search This thread

adambomb_13

Jul 17, 2007
ok! where to even start...
I like many got this 2in1 at wal-mart and I live it. unfortunately I like many am not yet familiar with the new UEFI bootloader bios SOC stuff
heres what I do know and please correct me if im wrong. also please tell me if this 2 in 1 is and can be flashed the same as the asus t100
ok the Flexx11 has a bayntrail-t CR quad core processor 1.33-1.83ghz model Z3735F the t100 is3740
11.6" screen ips touchscreen at 1366x768 res
Efun is the corp and yifang vers.NX1106.1.02.008\139
THE BIOS IS YFG0315009112
it is a 32bit EFI bootloader
the reason I mention all of this is I have tried several times to dualboot androoid and each time ruined the computer and had to return it and I simply no longer wish to return it and love it to much to get something else
the first try the time began to lag and was unfixable for some reason the second time i somehow lost the keys booting and formatted wrong or something and the tablet bricked it would remain black with keyboard lit and no button combo could get it back no boot at all.

I am currently using AMIDUOS to run android kitkat and I love it but from what I understand it isnt compatible with win10 and really still isnt the same as the full android being on the tablet although really really close and awesome
but honestly I have been doing this stuff for years and now with this new windows secure boot and system on a chip stuff im lost

Last edited:

D33PTHAWTE

Aug 7, 2010
PNW
I'm curious as well.
It has to be possible. I say that because I recently owned a ChuWi dual-boot device with the same Baytrail processor and SOC.
I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to take a system dump from one of the chuwi dualboot devices and flash it to the nextbook.

Sent from my Ascend Mate 2 using XDA Free mobile app

rowdyrocket

Feb 26, 2007
I'm also interested in doing this. It appears that the Nextbook Ares has the same hardware (minus 1GB RAM) but has Android. I contacted Nextbook to see if I could get a copy of the Ares Android firmware but was denied. If someone with the Ares could upload a backup that would be helpful.

rowdyrocket

Feb 26, 2007
I was finally able to get this working using this method...

https://hitricks.com/guide-how-to-dual-boot-remix-os-with-windows-uefi-legacy

So far I was able to get it to boot from a partition on the main drive as a test. In the process of installing to a secondary partition on my sd card. We'll see how it goes.

I wasnt able to get the boot menu that he shows but after going through the steps I then had an Android OS boot option in the bios boot menu. Pretty awesome! Runs great. Tried running Dead Trigger 2 as a test with full graphics. Ran perfectly.

Reactions: adambomb_13
I just bought one of these yesterday, and it shipped with Windows 10 Home 32-bit. I'm trying to install the 64-bit version but it won't boot from USB. Turns out it doesn't support 64-bit OSes. Where can I find recovery images for this? I messed up and now I don't have audio or touchscreen drivers.

Last edited:

GeneticJulia

May 12, 2016
64 bit processor?

I just bought one of these yesterday, and it shipped with Windows 10 Home 32-bit. I'm trying to install the 64-bit version but it won't boot from USB. Turns out it doesn't support 64-bit OSes. Where can I find recovery images for this? I messed up and now I don't have audio or touchscreen drivers.

Alright, I'm slightly confused now. Looking at system specs for mine it says it has an x64 based processor. Doesn't that mean it should be able to handle 64-bit OS? Even though it comes with 32-bit? If possible I would like to put 64-bit on it as well, but I'd like to be sure that that's not going to break it.

Alright, I'm slightly confused now. Looking at system specs for mine it says it has an x64 based processor. Doesn't that mean it should be able to handle 64-bit OS? Even though it comes with 32-bit? If possible I would like to put 64-bit on it as well, but I'd like to be sure that that's not going to break it.

It just won't boot the USB. At all. Unless it's 32-bit.

adambomb_13

Jul 17, 2007

So far I was able to get it to boot from a partition on the main drive as a test. In the process of installing to a secondary partition on my sd card. We'll see how it goes.

I wasnt able to get the boot menu that he shows but after going through the steps I then had an Android OS boot option in the bios boot menu. Pretty awesome! Runs great. Tried running Dead Trigger 2 as a test with full graphics. Ran perfectly.

I'm loving Remix OS on here with dual boot. Having some issues though and I really want this to work.
Main and I mean main issue is no sound at all, no rotation is next in line and Bluetooth isn't working. Everything else works great.
This is so awesome its like Android lollipop with windows desktop functionality. Now if I can get the bugs fixed I will be in android hog heaven.
GREAT FIND BRO!!!!! EXACTLY what I was looking for maybe even better than.

for those interested here is the XDA section for all things REMIX OS
http://xdaforums.com/remix

By the way for those who may want to know I installed dual boot onto the hard drive it went with no issues.Here's some tips for flexx 11

1. I used a partition manager such as easy partition manager to partition the C: drive regardless of what the tutorial said. Couldn't use windows disk management. I deleted the recovery for an extra 5 gigs (make a backup if you do) I used about 19 gigs from the C: drive and made an E: NTFS.

2.Also do not use the remix files from that tutorial use the ones here from the main site http://www.jide.com/remixos-for-pc they are newer and the ones from the other post where incomplete. Also the newer ones on the site now include OTA updating which is totally awesome.

3. I'm hoping this will help someone..... After I was all finished I expected it to dual boot as any other dual boot restart and then i would see options for the OS's not the case here I got stuck on this I was using easy BCD and trying all sorts of stuff, once I looked at the tut a little closer I realized you don't need any of that. Once your all done do a restart and it will go back to windows as usual. Now go to settings, then recovery, then advanced startup and choose from devices I think its the second option on the left list. There you will find Android OS click that and it will take you to your dual boot options. Sounds a lot more complicated than it really is. But believe me once you know this your better off.

And that's all I've got please and I mean please post here with any fixes especially for sound and if you have questions I will try to help.
Thanks

PS: I AM GETTING OCASIONAL LOCK UPS, MEANING THE OS FREEZES AND I HAVE TO RESTART BY HOLDING POWER.

Last edited:

adambomb_13

Jul 17, 2007
Im not sure if this is good news or not...
Using the methos outlined I was not able to get audio bluetooth autorotate and other things to work but after a bit of digging I found out that remix os has an image specifically for nextbook baaytrail (Our PC) here: http://www.jide.com/remixos/devices
click other upper left.....
I cannot find instructions to install this though and using the other install instructions from here fail because the only part of the file to replace is the system image.
I also attempted the other install methods and easy BCD does not work for this PC
So if anyone can help to install this file specifically for our computer as well as verify that it works and what works and how you installed would be great

Reactions: anthony0581

adambomb_13

Jul 17, 2007
OK this is really cool I have made headway sort of.
I have installed kit kat android-x86-4.4-r3.img using the Androidx86-Installv24-5800.exe installer and i have rotation, root and it works pretty good for the most part wifi works great so far no bluetooth, it freezes during shut down and the major issue as in most cases is the sound. Im not sure about the camera now that I think about but i will check and report back here.

I really want the sound working on this and I woud be bigtime happy this forum could be solved as far as im concerned
From what I understand there is a bug with baytrail and linux where the spp port is pointed automatically to the usb or something. but for the life of me after weeks of scouring the internet cannot find a laymens guide to a simple fix for this. I'm really not even sure there is one because I'm yet find a rock solid confirmation of a solution

adambomb_13

Jul 17, 2007
Update: camera doesn't work either
So far the 4.4.3 port is the best. I just can't seem to find any help whatsoever so its looking like so close yet so far away. Its a pure shame that audio and a few other major bugs are the only things in the way of this being a fully working and easy dual boot method.

murlig123

Jun 12, 2016
I have bought a nextbook flexx10 but am unable to install remix OS. I have followed all the steps highlighted before.
1. partitioned the drive with gparted to make a 10G NTFS drive
2. downloaded android x86 5.1.1 iso and remix iso from jide website.
3. used android installer and android 5.1.1 iso to install the image
4. used 7zip to uncompress the remix iso
5. then copied over the 4 necessary files from remix to the drive to the android drive
6. copied over grub.cfg

Now, I do see the entry for androidOS but when I select that, I just get a message at the center of my screen that says "AndroidOS boot failed" and a blue OK button in DOS like font. thats it.. I am interested in knowing if any additional BIOS settings needs to be tweaked.

furthermore, I have tried installing android x86 6.0 by formating the same partition as ext4. All proceeded well and i got to the last screen that said "Run android-x86 now" or reboot. I removed the USB and was able to get into android. (some missing functionality). But when i reboot into windows and try to boot into androis, I get the same message of Andoid boot failed..

Thus I need to know if there's some BIOS settings related to permissions or sorts that i'm missing.

thanks

adambomb_13

Jul 17, 2007
I have bought a nextbook flexx10 but am unable to install remix OS. I have followed all the steps highlighted before.
1. partitioned the drive with gparted to make a 10G NTFS drive
2. downloaded android x86 5.1.1 iso and remix iso from jide website.
3. used android installer and android 5.1.1 iso to install the image
4. used 7zip to uncompress the remix iso
5. then copied over the 4 necessary files from remix to the drive to the android drive
6. copied over grub.cfg

Now, I do see the entry for androidOS but when I select that, I just get a message at the center of my screen that says "AndroidOS boot failed" and a blue OK button in DOS like font. thats it.. I am interested in knowing if any additional BIOS settings needs to be tweaked.

furthermore, I have tried installing android x86 6.0 by formating the same partition as ext4. All proceeded well and i got to the last screen that said "Run android-x86 now" or reboot. I removed the USB and was able to get into android. (some missing functionality). But when i reboot into windows and try to boot into androis, I get the same message of Andoid boot failed..

Thus I need to know if there's some BIOS settings related to permissions or sorts that i'm missing.

thanks
Sorry for the late reply, use the installer and create a separate drive using C: like a D: or E: and get android 4.4 the .IMG that should work for you and the installer should do everything for you.
So use the uefi android installer after you partition a drive to load android 4.4 the uefi IMG
Its just going to piss you off though because there's no audio and seemingly no way to fix it, which is a crying shame ��

P.S. typically secure boot is off in the bios on this machine, but if by any chance you turned it on or the newer ones come that way make sure it is off or this will not work.

korycooper

Jun 15, 2016
UEFI Settings

So I can get to a menu with 6 icons (2 rows and 3 columns) by running the "shutdown.exe /r /o" command and then going to Troubleshoot>Advanced Options>UEFI Firmware Settings and clicking restart. The problem is that when I get to this menu the touchscreen and keyboard do not work, and I can only move the highlighter up and down, not left and right. Hopefully one you guys have figured this out. I contacted the Nextbook support desk and they were no help at all.

korycooper

Jun 15, 2016
So I can get to a menu with 6 icons (2 rows and 3 columns) by running the "shutdown.exe /r /o" command and then going to Troubleshoot>Advanced Options>UEFI Firmware Settings and clicking restart. The problem is that when I get to this menu the touchscreen and keyboard do not work, and I can only move the highlighter up and down, not left and right. Hopefully one you guys have figured this out. I contacted the Nextbook support desk and they were no help at all.

Okay. So I was able to test this one of my co workers Nextbook and it seems like its a problem with mine.

Sep 18, 2016
Hey guys,

NextBook Flexx 11, 64Gb, NXW116QC264, Windows 10

I'm really interested in trying to install Remix OS in Dual boot. However, in my trials, I goofed up my tablet. I found an image, but it turned out to be a Windows 8.1 image, and it wiped everything from my tablet. I had originally had Windows 10 on it.

Could someone perhaps be able to send me the recovery partition of their Nextbook; as long as they had Win10 installed. Maybe if I dump a Win10 recovery partition, I can do a repair on it and restore Win10 to the system.

I can't find the stock/factory rom for the Win10 version of the Flexx.

Thanks in advance,
Kori

Wiebenor

Nov 26, 2015
Hey guys,

NextBook Flexx 11, 64Gb, NXW116QC264, Windows 10

I'm really interested in trying to install Remix OS in Dual boot. However, in my trials, I goofed up my tablet. I found an image, but it turned out to be a Windows 8.1 image, and it wiped everything from my tablet. I had originally had Windows 10 on it.

Could someone perhaps be able to send me the recovery partition of their Nextbook; as long as they had Win10 installed. Maybe if I dump a Win10 recovery partition, I can do a repair on it and restore Win10 to the system.

I can't find the stock/factory rom for the Win10 version of the Flexx.

Thanks in advance,
Kori

Just to be clear...(and this goes for everyone wondering in the future) it was windows 10, from the factory??? Last i checked
they only shipped with windows 8.1 or android, depending on the model...If not and you put windows 10 on there, back when it was free, you just use the media creation tool from Microsoft to update windows 8.1 to Windows 10 (after restoring windows 8.1)... it can do this because most tablets have unchangeable hardware, so no cd key is required...it's like how your md5 hash verifies your downloaded files, Windows provides Microsoft with your hardwares md5 hash signature and if it is in the list, then it activates the pc/tablet... but, it only works if you got it free, not if you bought it... if you bought win10 then you will need your cd-key when you re-install, while the other steps are same as above... just note, that for the free upgrade there was NO cd-key, therefore in that instance, if it asked you for a key, you would leave it blank, which you can do in any case, and add your key in from Windows if needed...

And... as for the others having sound issues in Android, I read something about a reason for that having to do with something called an... 'audio stack', I think it was??? Not 100% sure what it meant, but basically, it is designed so the audio hardware only works in windows, I think... (so they can make more money, by making you buy the android tablet separately...)

hope this helps someone who stumbles upon this thread...

shinobisoft

Recognized Contributor
Feb 18, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Just to be clear...(and this goes for everyone wondering in the future) it was windows 10, from the factory??? Last i checked
they only shipped with windows 8.1 or android, depending on the model...If not and you put windows 10 on there, back when it was free, you just use the media creation tool from Microsoft to update windows 8.1 to Windows 10 (after restoring windows 8.1)... it can do this because most tablets have unchangeable hardware, so no cd key is required...it's like how your md5 hash verifies your downloaded files, Windows provides Microsoft with your hardwares md5 hash signature and if it is in the list, then it activates the pc/tablet... but, it only works if you got it free, not if you bought it... if you bought win10 then you will need your cd-key when you re-install, while the other steps are same as above... just note, that for the free upgrade there was NO cd-key, therefore in that instance, if it asked you for a key, you would leave it blank, which you can do in any case, and add your key in from Windows if needed...

And... as for the others having sound issues in Android, I read something about a reason for that having to do with something called an... 'audio stack', I think it was??? Not 100% sure what it meant, but basically, it is designed so the audio hardware only works in windows, I think... (so they can make more money, by making you buy the android tablet separately...)

hope this helps someone who stumbles upon this thread...

I realize this is a dead thread, but I had to chime in... I bought my NextBook Flexx 11 from Walmart 3 or 4 years ago and it shipped with Windows 10 Home, not Windows 8.1... However, IMHO, Windows 10 is a resource hog on this little device. I'm currently looking in to installing Linux...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Im not sure if this is good news or not...
    Using the methos outlined I was not able to get audio bluetooth autorotate and other things to work but after a bit of digging I found out that remix os has an image specifically for nextbook baaytrail (Our PC) here: http://www.jide.com/remixos/devices
    click other upper left.....
    I cannot find instructions to install this though and using the other install instructions from here fail because the only part of the file to replace is the system image.
    I also attempted the other install methods and easy BCD does not work for this PC
    So if anyone can help to install this file specifically for our computer as well as verify that it works and what works and how you installed would be great