[Q] Setup issue. Black home screen

Search This thread

halfluck

Feb 26, 2014
Please don't blame me for bringing up an old thread, but I'm experiencing the same problem with my Chromecast (on the latest software build) when connected to my 1080p-HDCP-capable HDMI to VGA converter (which is connected to my VGA-only projector). My Chromecast itself is fine as it works perfectly when connected to a newer LG 1080p TV.

Is there anything new on this topic?

HDCP?

YassinTP

Feb 21, 2012
What resolution is your HDMI to VGA converter sending to the projector - and what resolutions do your projector support?
The converter is just sending the input resolution to the projector, which will be 720p or 1080p with the Chromecast, I guess, as soon as it has booted. I am able to see everything until the Chrome logo - this is sent in 480p according to this thread, isn't it? - then the screen turns black.
The projector supports up 1024x768, Epson doesn't tell anything about scaling capabilities. It is, however, able to work just fine with 1080p input - when I connected my Thinkpad and chose 1920x1080 for the projector, it displayed just fine.
Yes, the converter is HDCP capable - I was able to play back a rented movie from iTunes using a Thinkpad X301, Displayport-HDMI cable and the converter connected to my projector.

Last edited:

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
The converter is just sending the input resolution to the projector, which will be 720p or 1080p with the Chromecast, I guess, as soon as it has booted. I am able to see everything until the Chrome logo - this is sent in 480p according to this thread, isn't it? - then the screen turns black.
The projector supports up 1024x768, Epson doesn't tell anything about scaling capabilities. It is, however, able to work just fine with 1080p input - when I connected my Thinkpad and chose 1920x1080 for the projector, it displayed just fine.

Yes, the converter is HDCP capable - I was able to play back a rented movie from iTunes using a Thinkpad X301, Displayport-HDMI cable and the converter connected to my projector.
Yes, the Chromecast boot seems to be 480p, which lets it show up on the majority of devices unless the input hasn't been recognized/locked when the screen shows up.

What happens with your projector is two-stage:
  1. Chromecast will "negotiate" a supported resolution with your display device (converter)
  2. Projector will - or won't - accept the converter's output

Likely the problem is in #1 - Chromecast may be negotiating a resolution with the converter than the projector doesn't like. It might be YCbCr instead of RGB, or something else.

Since you said Chromecast works with your LG 1080p TV, you can try this:
  • Get either a USB battery pack or a power cable long enough to reach from Chromecast connected to both your LG 1080p TV and your projector.
  • Connect Chromecast to your LG TV and power it up.
  • Keeping the power connected, unplug Chromecast from your LG TV and plug it into the converter on your projector.
    [*}See if you get output on your projector

I haven't checked recently, but back in the 15xxx firmware at least, Chromecast kept its resolution as long as it was powered. If that's still true and you get output, #1 is the issue - the converter and Chromecast are negotiating a format/resolution that your projector doesn't like.

Unfortunately not a good solution for this unless you can change the EDID on your converter so it only reports specific formats/resolutions (HDfury can do this).

I has the same problem yesterday and cant fix it!

"After this update my chromecast doesnt boot Only Google Logo then black screen on my TV Samsung... Thx Google...
I tried to disconnect USB and plug in it to POWER adapter - it doesnt help me, then I tried to hard reset from physical button on Chromecast - it doestnt helps to me too! Any ideas? After HR chromecast now displays on my TV like "Player". Chromecast app cant connect to Chromecast..."

Any ideas? I think my Chromecast died :(

I had the same thing? Got just the boot screen and then black. Tried all my HDMI connections dvd and cable box were black. I unplugged TV for 15 minutes and when I plugged it back in, then got Chromecast can't connect. Unplugged CC and plugged back on and it connected working now.??

Last edited:

Skazki

Apr 10, 2012
Moscow
I had the same thing? Got just the boot screen and then black. Tried all my HDMI connections dvd and cable box were black. I unplugged TV for 15 minutes and when I plugged it back in, then got Chromecast can't connect. Unplugged CC and plugged back on and it connected working now.??
Did you solve that problem? Mine Chromecast works fine now.

YassinTP

Feb 21, 2012
Yes, the Chromecast boot seems to be 480p, which lets it show up on the majority of devices unless the input hasn't been recognized/locked when the screen shows up.

What happens with your projector is two-stage:
  1. Chromecast will "negotiate" a supported resolution with your display device (converter)
  2. Projector will - or won't - accept the converter's output

Likely the problem is in #1 - Chromecast may be negotiating a resolution with the converter than the projector doesn't like. It might be YCbCr instead of RGB, or something else.

Since you said Chromecast works with your LG 1080p TV, you can try this:
  • Get either a USB battery pack or a power cable long enough to reach from Chromecast connected to both your LG 1080p TV and your projector.
  • Connect Chromecast to your LG TV and power it up.
  • Keeping the power connected, unplug Chromecast from your LG TV and plug it into the converter on your projector.
    [*}See if you get output on your projector

I haven't checked recently, but back in the 15xxx firmware at least, Chromecast kept its resolution as long as it was powered. If that's still true and you get output, #1 is the issue - the converter and Chromecast are negotiating a format/resolution that your projector doesn't like.

Unfortunately not a good solution for this unless you can change the EDID on your converter so it only reports specific formats/resolutions (HDfury can do this).
Okay, seems to be a converter-specific issue. I remembered that my HP ZR24w (1920x1200) has VGA input and a nice OSD, so I set the converter up, connected the Chromecast and watched what happened:
- "Chromecast..." was displayed
- The "Chrome" Logo showed, but not in 480p - it was really sharp, so it has to be 720p or 1080p output, OSD tells "1920x1080 @60 Hz"
- The screen turned black (not off), just like with the projector. OSD still shows 1080p.

Could it help to try another HDMI VGA converter? I found another HDCP-capable one from another manufacturer, maybe that's worth a try...

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
Could it help to try another HDMI VGA converter? I found another HDCP-capable one from another manufacturer, maybe that's worth a try...

If you want best guarantee of working you need a converter that has scaling functionality, so it can output different resolution from what it's sent.

YassinTP

Feb 21, 2012
If you want best guarantee of working you need a converter that has scaling functionality, so it can output different resolution from what it's sent.
So HDFury would be worth a try, right?

I just found out my projector has an info OSD built in. I just performed a Chromecast update which displayed just fine, but the screen went black afterwards again. Of course, I didn't think of checking during the update, but now, OSD shows "1440x900" at 59,90 Hz. Will this resolution make Chromecast turn off the display output?

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
So HDFury would be worth a try, right?

I just found out my projector has an info OSD built in. I just performed a Chromecast update which displayed just fine, but the screen went black afterwards again. Of course, I didn't think of checking during the update, but now, OSD shows "1440x900" at 59,90 Hz. Will this resolution make Chromecast turn off the display output?
1440x900 is 16:10 aspect. Is it showing a black screen, or no signal? If it's no signal that might be the native resolution of the panel, or Chromecast may have picked a strange resolution (likely).

While I have had great success with the HDfury products, I don't believe any of them actually scale. I know the original HDfury through the HDfury2 do not.

Looks like the HDfury3 does not either, but the EDID banks may be helpful in your situation. What might be happening is the projector says it supports a resolution, say 1920x1080p, but when Chromecast feeds it, the project doesn't like it. Changing the EDID data so Chromecast doesn't see certain resolutions as supported may help get the two in agreement.

Ahh, looks like 3Dfury / HDfury4 has beta scaling/scan-conversion features... Nice, but the price tag is not so much, but it really depends on the cost of a newer/equivalent projector versus the cost of making Chromecast work on your existing hardware.

Personally, unless you have other applications for the converter, you're probably better off applying the $400 price tag toward an update to a 1080p projector.

YassinTP

Feb 21, 2012
1440x900 is 16:10 aspect. Is it showing a black screen, or no signal? If it's no signal that might be the native resolution of the panel, or Chromecast may have picked a strange resolution (likely).

While I have had great success with the HDfury products, I don't believe any of them actually scale. I know the original HDfury through the HDfury2 do not.

Looks like the HDfury3 does not either, but the EDID banks may be helpful in your situation. What might be happening is the projector says it supports a resolution, say 1920x1080p, but when Chromecast feeds it, the project doesn't like it. Changing the EDID data so Chromecast doesn't see certain resolutions as supported may help get the two in agreement.

Ahh, looks like 3Dfury / HDfury4 has beta scaling/scan-conversion features... Nice, but the price tag is not so much, but it really depends on the cost of a newer/equivalent projector versus the cost of making Chromecast work on your existing hardware.

Personally, unless you have other applications for the converter, you're probably better off applying the $400 price tag toward an update to a 1080p projector.

All the screens I tested are showing a black screen, not "no signal". However, my HP ZR24w displays 1920x1080 resolution while the projector recognizes 1440x900.

I did some tests with the LG Full HD TV today and I'm now thinking that it's rather a converter-specific issue than a problem with the resolution.
As described earlier in this thread, I tried to connect the running Chromecast to the converter while running on mobile power - so I plugged my Chromecast into the TV, connected the power to my notebook and the Chromecast booted just fine. The TV also has VGA input, so I connected the HDMI-VGA-converter to it and tried moving the running Chromecast from the TV's HDMI input to the converter's input - and as you can already guess, the TV showed a black screen.
Because I know that the TV as well as the converter support 1080p just fine (as well as all other forms of Full HD and normal HD input), I think it isn't a resolution-based issue but has to do with an incompatibility of the Chromecast with my specific HDMI-VGA-converter.

What do you think on that? I'm not too keen on spending several hundred bucks on a new projector because I don't use it that much, so I tend to trying out at least one other converter - not necessarily an HDfury, just another one in the same category...

ImCoKeMaN

Jan 8, 2007
I'm pretty sure the black screen with Chromecast and your VGA converter is due to HDCP. It sounds backwards, but HDCP compliant actually will mean that it will not work for HDCP inputs like a Chromecast.

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
It sounds backwards, but HDCP compliant actually will mean that it will not work for HDCP inputs like a Chromecast.

That's possible too, though in the case of HDfury the converter itself is an HDCP-compatible display device so it shows picture.

Technically if the converter obeys HDCP rules it should turn off its analog outputs or down scale to SD when fed an HDCP protected source.

The TV also has VGA input, so I connected the HDMI-VGA-converter to it and tried moving the running Chromecast from the TV's HDMI input to the converter's input - and as you can already guess, the TV showed a black screen.
Because I know that the TV as well as the converter support 1080p just fine (as well as all other forms of Full HD and normal HD input), I think it isn't a resolution-based issue but has to do with an incompatibility of the Chromecast with my specific HDMI-VGA-converter.

That's a possibility too. In theory, with Chromecast sending 1080p, you should either have picture or a scrambled digital mess from HDCP decryption failure.

Black screen alone, especially at the is resolution may be the converter saying "I'm not sure what to do with this." Maybe the converter doesn't know how to handle YCbCr input and only does RGB which would explain why computer output works.

YassinTP

Feb 21, 2012
That's possible too, though in the case of HDfury the converter itself is an HDCP-compatible display device so it shows picture.

Technically if the converter obeys HDCP rules it should turn off its analog outputs or down scale to SD when fed an HDCP protected source.

That's a possibility too. In theory, with Chromecast sending 1080p, you should either have picture or a scrambled digital mess from HDCP decryption failure.

Black screen alone, especially at the is resolution may be the converter saying "I'm not sure what to do with this." Maybe the converter doesn't know how to handle YCbCr input and only does RGB which would explain why computer output works.

Okay, the mailman just dropped off my new converter - which is actually working! Partially, at least.

The Chromecast's "home screen" displays fine, but looks a bit blurry. Casting YouTube from my Nexus 5 will either show the YouTube "app" correctly and display only a small part (I would say, about 1/10) of the video, or show only that part of the whole app. Casting my screen does only work in landscape mode, and also only that small part of the screen.

The projector's OSD now shows "640x480 @60,00 Hz". Attaching the Chromecast to my HP monitor does not work as the Chromecast decides on 1080p output at 30,00 Hz, which is not supported by the monitor.

Is there something I can do about this problem, maybe with a rooted Chromecast OS? Or is it telling me that it just won't work with my old projector?

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
The projector's OSD now shows "640x480 @60,00 Hz". Attaching the Chromecast to my HP monitor does not work as the Chromecast decides on 1080p output at 30,00 Hz, which is not supported by the monitor.

Is there something I can do about this problem, maybe with a rooted Chromecast OS? Or is it telling me that it just won't work with my old projector?
Root currently won't help with resolution detection/selection.

Your image is blurry because each of those 640x480 pixels is being stretched to 3 pixels wide and 2.5 pixels tall. ;)
This could be due to lack of HDCP, as downconverting to analog SD is an option when there's no HDCP negotiation.

What you probably need is either a converter that negotiates as HDCP-compliant and can set the EDID information like I mentioned earlier (HDfury3), or an inline device like Dr. HDMI* that can force specific EDIDs - that way Chromecast won't choose a stupid resolution.

Not sure how much more money you want to invest in this project though...

* No, I do not get paid by the HDfury folks - I just reference their products often because I have had good experience with them personally and in the case of Dr. HDMI, it's cheaper than similar products from Gefen and others.

Reactions: YassinTP

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
Since I recently got one, some HDMI splitters will let you force EDID as well, so that might be a cheaper alternative than a full-fledged EDID configurator, assuming one of the modes work...

I bought this one and it supports
  • Read from Monitor 1
  • Read from Monitor 2
  • Full HD 1080p60 24bit 2D video 7.1 audio
  • Full HD 1080p60 24 bit 2D video 2.0 audio
  • Full HD 1080p60 36-bit 2D video 7.1 audio
  • Full HD 1080p60 36-bit 2D video 2.0 audio
  • 1080p30/1080i60/720p60 24bit 2D video 2.0 audio
  • 1080p60 24-bit 3D video 2.0 audio

Reactions: YassinTP

YassinTP

Feb 21, 2012
Since I recently got one, some HDMI splitters will let you force EDID as well, so that might be a cheaper alternative than a full-fledged EDID configurator, assuming one of the modes work...

I bought this one and it supports
  • Read from Monitor 1
  • Read from Monitor 2
  • Full HD 1080p60 24bit 2D video 7.1 audio
  • Full HD 1080p60 24 bit 2D video 2.0 audio
  • Full HD 1080p60 36-bit 2D video 7.1 audio
  • Full HD 1080p60 36-bit 2D video 2.0 audio
  • 1080p30/1080i60/720p60 24bit 2D video 2.0 audio
  • 1080p60 24-bit 3D video 2.0 audio

I decided to get the Dr. HDMI EDID Manager you mentioned above. Had it delivered in the mail today - and it works! :) I am using "720p only" and the Chromecast displays perfectly on the projector. I actually have to use the new converter, which makes the whole project somewhat more expensive - the old one still stays black, so I will get rid of that one and use the newer one which is smaller anyway and has RCA audio output, so I can connect it directly to my stereo.

Thank you very much for your help!

mohit_gkp

Mar 6, 2009
I ran into same black screen after G logo issue today and after struggling a bit I realized my TV HDCP settings were set to OUT, I changed it to IN and it worked.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HDMI doesn't care about PAL vs NTSC frequencies by design, exactly why so many in the UK were able to adopt early last year.
    While I agree that it shouldn't matter in this day and age, they still exist separately in the EDID data because of the differing pixel clocks.

It's possible (though ill-advised) for a modern display to reject an input signal based on it being 50/100 Hz or 60/120 Hz.
    I deal with a lot of AV stuff and have run into this issue from time to time.
    :) I'm learning every day... sometimes the hard way.

Traditionally European TV sets have been more forgiving than their US counterparts, accepting NTSC "nudged" into PAL-60 or NTSC 4.43 in the analog realm.

While the transition to HD did unify the display resolutions and pixel aspect ratios (everything's square, yay!), the differences in refresh/sampling rates remained. :(

One day my friend, one day... everything will be 600 Hz or better so 24, 25, 30, 50 and 60 fps content will all be supported and play without judder or needing interpolation. :cyclops:

So back to the topic at hand, it's possible the OP's TV doesn't know what to do with a 30/60 Hz input from Chromecast, though that would be quite silly of LG to impose such a restriction. Still, silly happens more often than you think for all kinds of reasons (gray market sales due to varying exchange rates and import/export laws often is a concern, as we burden on regional support that got no revenue from the foreign sale).
    TBH, I don't know for certain whether Chromecast is capable of 25/50 Hz output, it might be. But being that Google isn't selling it outside of US/Canada yet, I doubt they've tested it.

>> Anybody in Europe, can you confirm me whether Chromecast outputs 720/50p, 1080/50i or 1080/50p to your TV? <<
    Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app
    Hi bhiga, that didn't helped either... but thanks for the help.

I have spoken with mighty ddggttff3 he made me try a "vanilla" 16041 which didn't make it and asked me to open up a thread at google chromecast support.

So anyone with similar issues should post in this thread:

https://productforums.google.com/d/topic/chromecast/xXyNrzm-e8g/discussion

Cheers!

Root currently won't help with resolution detection/selection.

Your image is blurry because each of those 640x480 pixels is being stretched to 3 pixels wide and 2.5 pixels tall. ;)
    This could be due to lack of HDCP, as downconverting to analog SD is an option when there's no HDCP negotiation.

What you probably need is either a converter that negotiates as HDCP-compliant and can set the EDID information like I mentioned earlier (HDfury3), or an inline device like Dr. HDMI* that can force specific EDIDs - that way Chromecast won't choose a stupid resolution.

Not sure how much more money you want to invest in this project though...

* No, I do not get paid by the HDfury folks - I just reference their products often because I have had good experience with them personally and in the case of Dr. HDMI, it's cheaper than similar products from Gefen and others.