[DISCONTINUED] CM9/ICS Nightly Builds

Search This thread

bornagainpenguin

Oct 22, 2010
Running update-encore-20120417.zip and performance-wise it's been the best I've seen...it just "feels" right when moving around in the system, if that makes any sense.

Only, for some reason about a quarter of my apps (including Opera and a few others I can't think of since I'm back on CM7 again) are convinced they're on 240 dpi and changing the dpi does nothing to improve things at all.

Any ideas?

--bornagainpenguin

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Running update-encore-20120417.zip and performance-wise it's been the best I've seen...it just "feels" right when moving around in the system, if that makes any sense.

Only, for some reason about a quarter of my apps (including Opera and a few others I can't think of since I'm back on CM7 again) are convinced they're on 240 dpi and changing the dpi does nothing to improve things at all.

Any ideas?

--bornagainpenguin
What do you mean 'convinced they're on 240 dpi'? You mean they are in their phone gui? The phone gui will show for all apps if you are above 160 dpi. If you are at 160 or lower, the device goes into tablet gui, but some apps stay in phone gui either because they have no tablet gui built in or they are getting bad information from the system. That was true for Evernote. It displayed the phone gui even though the nook was in tablet gui.

Reactions: MrPib

bdcrim

Oct 27, 2010

Any ideas?

--bornagainpenguin

Opera Mobile scales correctly for me for the first time with the new kernel addition. It is not blown up and does not think the nook is a phone. I did a build yesterday and the kernel had been merged. Does Sams 4-17 build have the new .59 kernel? If so, you may try uninstalling and reinstalling those apps. Don't know otherwise.

bornagainpenguin

Oct 22, 2010
What do you mean 'convinced they're on 240 dpi'? You mean they are in their phone gui? The phone gui will show for all apps if you are above 160 dpi. If you are at 160 or lower, the device goes into tablet gui, but some apps stay in phone gui either because they have no tablet gui built in or they are getting bad information from the system. That was true for Evernote. It displayed the phone gui even though the nook was in tablet gui.

I mean when I change DPI it has no effect whatsoever and that I think DPI is being misreported somehow.

Here's two screenshots that might help explain things.

This is what is being reported as 160 dpi:
screenshot2012041900053.png

This is what 160 dpi actually looks like:
screenshot2012041900055.png

When I reboot to complete the changes it goes back to the faux 160dpi (which is clearly higher than being reported.)
--bornagainpenguin

Last edited:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I mean when I change DPI it has no effect whatsoever and that I think DPI is being misreported somehow.

Here's two screenshots that might help explain things.

This is what is being reported as 160 dpi:

This is what 160 dpi actually looks like:

When I reboot to complete the changes it goes back to the faux 160dpi (which is clearly higher than being reported.)
--bornagainpenguin
You are talking about the lettering size? That's the only difference I can see in your screenshots.

Go to the Dev Tools app and look at configuration. It tells you the real screen density.

That screen density changing app may not be accurate.

Sent from my Nook Color running ICS and Tapatalk

bornagainpenguin

Oct 22, 2010
You are talking about the lettering size? That's the only difference I can see in your screenshots.

Go to the Dev Tools app and look at configuration. It tells you the real screen density.

That screen density changing app may not be accurate.

None of the them seem to be accurate at this time. Usually I use nook odds and ends, but since it didn't work earlier I tried this one. I can do some more screenshots tomorrow, I'm tired now, sorry.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

mateorod

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
That slider for the new dpi may just be set there with an app database, waiting for you to click apply. Have you been clicking the set at boot option? It's not on in your screenshots, and I can't see why you'd unset it just to take the picture.

That would explain the return upon reboot, if that is the only problem you're having.

bornagainpenguin

Oct 22, 2010
I don't know what to think now, I reflashed this morning and have been unable to make the issue happen again. I did notice that Opera was using the phone GUI, but my icons were fine.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

notriddle

Dec 18, 2011
www.notriddle.com
On a friend's Nook, DoggCatcher, Kaiten mail, Amazon Kindle, IMDB, all phone UIs. But all the Google and Android apps are tablet modes, and Nova Launcher, Super user are. The system is in tablet mode. Default dpi.

Seems to depend on how they decide if something's a tablet or a phone.

boomn

Feb 2, 2011
On a friend's Nook, DoggCatcher, Kaiten mail, Amazon Kindle, IMDB, all phone UIs. But all the Google and Android apps are tablet modes, and Nova Launcher, Super user are. The system is in tablet mode. Default dpi.

Seems to depend on how they decide if something's a tablet or a phone.

Yes, there is certainly that too. If a developer doesn't think their "tablet" layout will display well enough on a 7" screen they can choose to stick to their "phone" layout.

Also, when the first real Android tablets came out with Honeycomb they were all 10" devices so many apps are probably still coded to only think of that size as qualifying as a tablet

I don't think it has to be between just two choices either. My Nook with these latest CM9 builds displays IMDB, for example, in a tablet layout of some form but it doesn't appear to be the same layout I've seen on larger 10" tablets. I need to double-check that at some point though

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I must have missed something. How do you tell if it a phone or tablet UI?
Phone GUIs are generally just single panes that get larger as the screen gets larger. Usually the tablet gui's have multiple panes. Like a window on the left and a scrollable pane on the right. They take advantage of the capabilities of ics that gingerbread does not have.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Yes, there is certainly that too. If a developer doesn't think their "tablet" layout will display well enough on a 7" screen they can choose to stick to their "phone" layout.

Also, when the first real Android tablets came out with Honeycomb they were all 10" devices so many apps are probably still coded to only think of that size as qualifying as a tablet

I don't think it has to be between just two choices either. My Nook with these latest CM9 builds displays IMDB, for example, in a tablet layout of some form but it doesn't appear to be the same layout I've seen on larger 10" tablets. I need to double-check that at some point though
I did some experimenting with imdb. My Galaxy Tab 7", which is running gingerbread at 240 dpi, shows imdb in tablet gui. It has multiple panes in landscape. One pane is stationary and the other is scrollable.

However, my Nook Color, running either CM7 or CM9, displays imdb in phone gui. It has single panes. It has a scrolling section at the top, but when you scroll the whole window, that scrolling section moves up off the screen. And it makes no difference what dpi I set in CM9, it still is in phone gui. (Edit: I ordinarily run CM7 at 240dpi, so I temporarily changed it to 160 and imdb displayed in tablet gui.)

And both devices are running the same version (2.6). So that tells me the software itself decides how to display based on what it thinks the device will support.

As an aside to this, I could not get imdb to show up in market in CM9 (running non-openGL 4/21 eyeballer), but it showed up in CM7. I downloaded with CM7, then used the apk to install on CM9.

Last edited:

boomn

Feb 2, 2011
I did some experimenting with imdb. My Galaxy Tab 7", which is running gingerbread at 240 dpi, shows imdb in tablet gui. It has multiple panes in landscape. One pane is stationary and the other is scrollable.

However, my Nook Color, running either CM7 or CM9, displays imdb in phone gui. It has single panes. But it has a scrolling section at the top, but when you scroll the whole window, that scrolling section moves up off the screen. And it makes no difference what dpi I set in CM9, it still is in phone gui. (Edit: I ordinarily run CM7 at 240dpi, so I temporarily changed it to 160 and imdb displayed in tablet gui.)

And both devices are running the same version (2.6). So that tells me the software itself decides how to display based on what it thinks the device will support.

As an aside to this, I could not get imdb to show up in market in CM9 (running non-openGL 4/21 eyeballer), but it showed up in CM7. I downloaded with CM7, then used the apk to install on CM9.

I was just starting to type when I saw your edit. I had double-checked my Nook because you made me doubt my memory for a second! With standard 160dpi mine shows a tablet layout like you said and it appears in the market too. Screenshot in case anyone's curious

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I was just starting to type when I saw your edit. I had double-checked my Nook because you made me doubt my memory for a second! With standard 160dpi mine shows a tablet layout like you said and it appears in the market too. Screenshot in case anyone's curious
That screenshot is of CM9, and imdb is showing in tablet gui. Mine still shows phone gui at 160. Are you running opengl? Mine is non. And at 160 still no market.

boomn

Feb 2, 2011
That screenshot is of CM9, and imdb is showing in tablet gui. Mine still shows phone gui at 160. Are you running opengl? Mine is non. And at 160 still no market.

Sorry, I should have clarified further: it's a recent non-opengl build from eyeballer (4/17 think) with no changes or mods. I'm really just assuming the dpi is 160 because I haven't changed anything over stock

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Sorry, I should have clarified further: it's a recent non-opengl build from eyeballer (4/17 think) with no changes or mods. I'm really just assuming the dpi is 160 because I haven't changed anything over stock
Ok, I found out why my system is not showing IMDb in tablet GUI in CM9. I am using my patched framework-res.apk which sets the 'showNavigationBar' value to true. And even though I can set the dpi to 160 and CM9 displays in tablet GUI, IMDb sees the framework-res setting and displays in phone GUI at all dpi settings.

But it still does not show in Market. Of course I have frozen my system to always run an old version of Market, so that might be making a difference too.

mateorod

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
In the recent versions of the Play Store you can set it to no filters in the settings. I am pretty sure that all the apps show up: IMDB, call blockers, camera effects and stuff like that are there for me..
If that even helps.

skwalas

Feb 22, 2011
In the recent versions of the Play Store you can set it to no filters in the settings. I am pretty sure that all the apps show up: IMDB, call blockers, camera effects and stuff like that are there for me..
If that even helps.
I'd been meaning to reply to your assertion here: its wrong. The filters setting has to do with maturity content only. It won't do a thing for any other kind of filter in place, device-specific or otherwise.

Reactions: mateorod

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As of 8/25/12, this project is officially discontinued. All information below is for archival purposes only and will not be supported henceforth.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INTRODUCTION
    Now that Fattire has lifted his request that everyone build their own zips, I've decided to make available the nightly builds I've been generating. I've got an OS X system cranking out a new build every night at midnight, so there will always be an up to date zip available!

Credit for this rom goes to Fattire, Dalingrin, keyodi, nemith, arcee and the the other hard working people over in the development thread, as well as the the CyanogenMod developers and anyone who's done work on the Nook Color. I wish I could list everyone by name but there's so many great people who've made contributions I can't even begin to do so. I'm just building zips from the source; we'd be nowhere without the contributions these great developers have made to this community.

As nighty builds, these zips may not always work. I'll try to remove any zip found to be broken, but you know the drill: All files provided here are to be installed at your own risk. I'm making built zips available, but no warranty is expressed or implied by the hosting of said zips. I'll provide what support I'm able to, but that doesn't mean that there aren't potentially unknown bugs. If you have questions, you should check the development thread or try the #NookColor IRC channnel on irc.freenode.net.

As posted by Fattire slightly further down, anyone feeling adventurous should definitely consider building from source rather than downloading the built zips. Here's his two cents:
    Want to build ICS from raw source code yourself?

It may be a good learning activity, and will certainly make you more self-sufficient. Hundreds have built ICS for Nookcolor successfully, and understanding the process will make you an Android ninja-- PLUS you can try features and bug fixes as-yet-unaccepted-into-the-mainstream build.

Take a look at:

The ICS NookColor Build WalkThrough

However, if you're not quite sold on setting up a development environment but you still want to try the goodness that is Ice Cream Sandwich, proceeed on down to the...

DOWNLOADS
    Without further ado: The Ice Cream Sandwich zips!
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nightly Builds.

The rom does not include the google apps, so you can/should flash the lastest version of those, which is available here.

Finally, I've hosted a few flashable zip files to make small tweaks to the rom. These are all located in the misc. folder on my server. Below is an explanation of each zip and its purpose.

MISC FOLDER INFO

If you notice that some apps are missing from the market, this may be due to the fact that these ICS builds for the nook do not include support for apps which request phone permissions. Although this ideally would be fixed by developers not requesting phone permissions for their app unless it absolutely needs to be phone-specific, you can also fix it by flashing the telephony-permissions-fix.zip file located in the misc folder. You will likely want to flash this file immediately after flashing your rom.

Secondly, if you prefer the old bootanimation from the galaxy nexus, you can also flash the fix-bootanimation.zip located in the Misc. folder, which replace the new CM9 animation it with Homer_S_xda's fixed version. Thanks to Homer for the fix!

NOTES ON INSTALLING TO SD
    I've fixed Verygreen's sd installer image to work with ICS -- you should no longer have to flash SP1 first, or rename the gapps to gapps-gb. If you test out this image, please let me know how it works for you! More recently, Leapinlar has stepped up in helping to fix the image further, increasing its size to allow for the larger size of the new nightlies. Thanks to him for his help -- It's available for download here. Huge thanks to Verygreen for helping me to figure out what needed to be fixed -- in the words of HacDan, "He's not just super helpful, he's a genius". Once you've got the new image, you can use Verygreen's original instructions from his thread on SD Installs, replacing "cm7" with "cm9" where necessary.

IN CONCLUSION
    Please remember to thank the developers working on this project, as they've done seriously awesome things for us in an amazingly short amount of time. If you have questions/comments specifically regarding my zips, please post them here, but if you have more general questions regarding Ice Cream Sandwich on the NC you may want to head on over to the development thread. Finally, if you're really enjoying the rom I'd strongly recommend that you try setting up a build environment and building your own zips -- even though I'm making prebuilt ones available they're no substitute for the experience gained by getting familiar with the build process yourself, and Fattire has done a great job of making it an extremely accessible and rewarding project.
    It seems that a while back my build system broke for some reason, and I just haven't ever had time to focus on getting it back in working order -- I've started a new job and am going back to school, so I think at this point I'm just going to officially discontinue this project and leave you guys in Eyeballer's well qualified hands. Thanks to everyone who used my builds -- this was a fun project for me and I hope you all enjoyed it too.
    And you can build too!

Want to build ICS from raw source code yourself?

It may be a good learning activity, and will certainly make you more self-sufficient. Hundreds have built ICS for Nookcolor successfully, and understanding the process will make you an Android ninja-- PLUS you can try features and bug fixes as-yet-unaccepted-into-the-mainstream build.

Take a look at:

The ICS NookColor Build WalkThrough
    So I've fallen off the forum a bit in recent weeks/months, but it's summer now so I'm back! In the interest of trying to bring this thread back up to date with the new developments, I've FINALLY gotten around to making a change I'd been meaning to make for a long time now -- my builds will now clobber after uploading each nightly to the server, so every one will be a clean scratch build. Hopefully this'll get rid of any issues that may have been kicking around from reusing the code.

EDIT: I also want to thank those helpful posters -- I have leapinlar primarily in mind but there's too many to name individually -- who have been tirelessly providing user support and keeping this thread alive. You guys are a great help to the community!
    I'm sorry, but the poster who comes into a ROM build post for the Nook Color in the Nook Color development section of XDA and says they have dumped it for a Fire because the Fire is faster (duh it has a dual core processor and was released a year later than the Color), is the troll.

Mods you can remove this whole string of off-topic posts started by the troll.

Done... Carry on folks!