Search This thread

abtekk

Apr 1, 2011
London
(View original thread here)

Project: Linux Reborn

Don't ask for an ETA on releases, there will never be one

Credits:
1. Yuray (For porting the original debian image and creating the first custom initramfs)
2. Slatedroid (For the great community and information available on this forum)
3. Zenithink (For the fantastic tablet)
4. Favux (From Ubuntuforums for the help he has provided)
5. Mozzwald for the general linux help

Description:
This is a new project I have started for the ZT-180 (I will still continue my custom ROM). The aim of this project is to have a completely working Linux distro running on the ZT-180. I hope I am able to have the distro installed on the internal NAND so it will be extremely fast and have a fast way of booting between Android/Debian. But in my opinion, Android would no longer be required if we had a distro such as Debian or Damn Small Linux.

This is an open project so if you wish to help on the development on the distro(s) please contact me, regardless of your experience.

Updates:
29th August 2011: Debian booted fine, had to use external keyboard, working on getting the virtual keyboard upon boot.

29th August 2011: I managed to dual boot Debian and Android by flashing the Debian kernel as zImage_adb. However this breaks the ADB support for the ZT-180. Eventually I want to have Linux on the internal NAND.

30th August 2011: With dual booting, "Android Mass Storage" boots into Android and "Android ADB" boots into Debian. You select which one by pressing the right function key straight after turning the device on.

30th August 2011: Project may be switching from Debian to Lubuntu 11.10. (Ubuntu with LXDE as it's default environment)

31st August 2011: Compiled Ubuntu 9.10 with the LXDE desktop environment, no touch screen yet.

3rd September 2011: After 3 days, with some help from Ubuntu Forums, I finally have the touch screen working... Oh the joys!

6th September 2011: Wifi works great :D. Profiles don't need to be manually edited either, the card works with Wicd.

7th September 2011: Sound works, low distortion at max volume.

9th September 2011: Fixed bug that made users have to enter a password to shut down, added battery monitor + more.

Other Information:
What works:
Dual booting (with Ubuntu/Debian...etc) - 100% - Unable to use ADB if you have dual booting enabled. (BETA-1+)
Shutdown - 100% - Pressing shutdown from the menu turns off the system (BETA-1+)
Restart - 100% - Pressing restart from the menu restarts the system properly (BETA-1+)
USB Port - 100% - Works with external peripherals and thumb drives (BETA-1+)
Touchscreen - 99% - Works, slightly out of calibration (BETA-1+)
WiFi - 100% - Wifi works, profiles can be modified with wicd. (BETA-1+)
On-screen keyboard - 100% - Keyboard opens at boot and works perfect with applications. (BETA-1+)
Sound - 100% - Sounds works 100%, low distortion at max volume. (BETA-1+)
Battery Monitor - 80% - Only gives a rough estimate, may not get better (BETA-2+)
Sudo command - 100% - Users can use the sudo command in terminal (BETA-2+)

Not tested:
Ethernet
Headphone jack
Microphone
OTG port

Lock screen

Not working:
G-Sensor - I'll never officially make it work, it would be pointless
Power button - Not sure how to map this yet
Volume buttons - See above
Home button - See above
Log out - Due to the ZT-180 being a tablet, I don't think there is much use for a log out function
Suspend - Probably pointless
Hibernate - Probably pointless

Downloads:
ZT-180 V1 Dual boot kernels (from SDcard):
1024x600 screen
1024x576 screen
You can use these regardless of removing the reset-IC or not)

ZT-180 V2 Dual boot kernel (from SDcard): (credits to rezmus)
zImage_adb
(USE THIS STRICTLY AT YOUR OWN RISK, IT'S UNTESTED AND I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE)

Debian:
BETA-1: http://www.multiupload.com/T8L0GF6I6G (All info and instructions are in the archive. Extract with 7zip or p7zip)
BETA-2: http://www.multiupload.com/MDZA6F9Q8I (Remember to back up your home folder to keep files) (Contains bug fix for password request to shut down. All info + changelog and passwords are in the archive)

Please do not mirror without my permission

Bug fixes:
Calibrate 1024x600 screen:
This small update is nothing to download but will calibrate the screen correctly (another thanks to mozzwald).
Open terminal and log in to root.
Then type:
Code:
nano /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

Then when the text editor opens in terminal, use your keyboard to enter this line above the one already there.
Code:
xinput set-int-prop "TSC2007 Touchscreen" "Evdev Axis Calibration" 32 31 3903 -6 3636 &

Calibrate 1024x576 screen:
This small update is nothing to download but will calibrate the screen correctly (another thanks to mozzwald).
Open terminal and log in to root.
Then type:
Code:
nano /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

Then when the text editor opens in terminal, use your keyboard to enter this line above the one already there.
Code:
xinput set-int-prop "TSC2007 Touchscreen" "Evdev Axis Calibration" 32 21 3837 -28 3601 &

Fix the internet browser bug: (Credits to mozzwald for the find)
To fix the Wi-Fi, simply open terminal, log in as root and type:
Code:
nano /etc/group
Then at the bottom add this line:
Code:
and-par-net:x:3003:debian

Last edited: